[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why aren't there any regular FPS games with accessible map
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3
File: BLOCK_OPS_NEW_NV1-1200x520[1].jpg (54 KB, 1200x520) Image search: [Google]
BLOCK_OPS_NEW_NV1-1200x520[1].jpg
54 KB, 1200x520
Why aren't there any regular FPS games with accessible map editors built in?

I've been trying out a bunch of those "minecraft with guns" games, and they're all shit.

It would be amazing if we could get a simple voxel FPS with non-goofy physics with an expansive map editor that anyone can pick up.

Just look at some of the maps people have made in Minecraft. Someone remade an entire replica of Shadow Moses island from MGS, and people have made entire Pokemon regions using the simple block setup, imagine playing TDM on maps like these.

I'm just rambling, but I think it'd be great if we got some more games with easy to use map editors built in and community capabilities. Adds tons of replayability knowing there's a shit ton of custom maps.

CSGO has a shit ton of maps, I will say, but not anyone can jut make maps.

I'm just rambling, it's late, but I think once you get past the cringey statement of "Minecraft meets call of duty" taglines, the concept is one that could offer fun.
>>
try insurgency
>>
Far Cry 2 did / does.
>>
I feel it's the publishers not doing the work to include the map editor in the consumer product, wanting to maintain control over the content, and the average player being too lazy.
>>
Try shootmania, dunno if the playerbase is active, but te game looks decent from the trailers
>>
The new Doom has Snapmap which is a basic map editor that you can play around in. It's very limited compared to proper dev tools though.
>>
>>339568976
FC2 was great for that.
Cant think of any other games on 360 that let you build full maps and battle on them. Halo 3 was another one, but forge was somewhat limited for what Im talking about.
>>
>>339568821
Try not being a lazy shit and learning how to make a map. Or make Doom (1-2) levels, they're pretty easy to do.
>>
Do I ever miss the Orig Half-Life Days. I don't think I ever played more than 30 minutes of the game itself, but god damn if I ever played a shit ton of Counter-Strike and a wack of other mods. I dabbled in map making, with Valve giving the Hammer editor away for free, and lots of sites for resourses, it was so much fun. Running your own server was so easy. I wasn't good at making maps, but I spent alot of time making them, I actually really enjoyed it. Then I'd run a server and have all my friends join, and we would play the maps I made, some randoms would join the server and the game would upload the map to them. Some talented people made some pretty sick ass good maps, and finding/playing customer maps was always a fun alternative to the overplayed ones.

If Half-Life 3 was announced and guarentted that type of Modding and community, I'd probably look over at my 10 year old computer and think it was time for an upgrade.
>>
>>339568976
>>339569232
The thing is even when you get games that have level editors like these, theyre still limited to one kind of setting (although FC2 allowed some freedom). FC2 still had an overall island theme. You couldnt make a map that consisted of large buildings or anything

I cant speak on doom as as I havent played it yet, but Im going more for "realistic" shooters in the sense of normal-like physics and mdoern guns

I like the idea of being able to maps like giant office buildings or cityscapes, but also forest/swamp like maps.
>>
It's not only FPS though.

Games used to launch with fucking awesome level editors, Warcraft 3, broodwar, unreal tournament, quake.

Most of those games are still alive because of the community and mods.

But nowadays companies dont want you to keep playing their games, they want you to fucking buy it and toss it when the next one come's out.
>>
>>339569406
Doom has a pretty limited map editor though. You can't make lots of multi-story levels can you? (as in multiple floors on top of each other). I read somewhere that to do it you need to make some weird "cheats" to achieve it. Kind oflimited

I do love doom for the amount of wads and shit that makes it replayable though.
>>
>>339568821
Why don't you just learn to use an actual mapping program? If you had the drive to actually make something good then you'd take the time to learn the tools to do it.
>>
File: 1453523034610.jpg (5 KB, 150x113) Image search: [Google]
1453523034610.jpg
5 KB, 150x113
Timesplitters future perfect has the best mapmaker in gaming history.

I Dare you to find a better one
>>
File: 1460663562804.png (119 KB, 477x720) Image search: [Google]
1460663562804.png
119 KB, 477x720
>>339568821
Reflex has on tge fly editing and Unreal Tournament 4 comes with both its own editor and the UE 4. That said the later is like going from playing with lego to being handed the keys to a fully stocked construction yard.
>>
Blockstorm's really good and has a lot of potential for customization, but the playerbase is dead.
>>
>>339568821
I miss old Ace of Spades
>>
>>339569871
source sdk counts. goldsrc sdk is just extremely primitive.
>>
>>339570684
To be fair Source SDK is very similar to goldsrc.
>>
>>339570132
you can still play it
>>
>>339569989
OSfrog AYY LMAO OSfrog
>>
I don't know if the newer games still have it, but the forge in Halo let you build your own maps to an extent.
>>
>>339570752
while true, trying to use goldsrc sdk after ssdk is like moving to the stone age.
>>
>>339569982
Any oldschool DOOM one
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.