[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What went wrong?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 97
Thread images: 15
File: MapleStory.SVG.png (82 KB, 1280x495) Image search: [Google]
MapleStory.SVG.png
82 KB, 1280x495
What went wrong?
>>
>>339564632
Everything post big bang.
>>
>>339564921
Seriously. I don't see how people play the game and spend thousands of dollars with how bloated and laggy it is.

>inb4 reboot
The same shit but you grind even more.
>>
>>
>>339564632
Nothing, it was always bad, take off your nostalgia goggles
>>
>>339565724
It was the perfect Korean grinding MMORPG. Nothing topped the grind.
>>
>>339565724

No, old maplestory forced some a semblance of community. Most optimal grinding needed people to share a map, needed a priest to wander around HS and blessing warriors, bosses needed a group to bring down in any sane amount of time. New maple doesn't even have that.
>>
>>339566482
I miss the golden ages. Now everything is just a single player Blizzard chinese game.
>>
>>339566175
The grinding was just insane compared to how it is now
>can't hit more than 4 mobs at once
>did way less dmg sometimes taking ~10 hits to kill an enemy as opposed to 1-hitting now
>enemies gave way less exp
>exp curve skyrockets at 70
>>
>>339567109
>exp sky rockets at 70

No it didnt. At 75 you had the easiest time leveling and leeching. 130 is when it got hard.
>>
>>339567241
Oh, well I wouldn't know, I couldn't get past 50 pre big bang
>>
>>339564632
Bots
>>
>>339567284
Yep. Also a lot of jobs got to hit a lot of mobs at 3rd advancement. One job that had trouble before big bang was probably gunslinger. They were absolute garbage until like 125.
>>
>>339565393
Long before whatever bullshit this is
>>
NXwhores chatting via megaphone

Stop fucking popping up im trying to grind
>>
>>339564632
I think the single biggest thing that ruined it was the potential system. Beforehand, it was still P2W, but with the potential system, the power gap between paying and non-paying increased immensely. A character with a shitton of cash invested could easily perform at the level of 1000 non-paying players. All the class differences went out the window when with potentials the only thing that eventually mattered was the number of lines. Every class became a dps, with one of them being the mathematical best.
>>
>>339564921
/thread
>>
>>339568569
potential was bought with meso. cubes were bought with cash and reset the potential/rarity. how is the former worse???
>>
>>339568987
Have you ever gotten one of those godly potentials by uncovering them? No. The chances of getting a decent one is still pretty rare, and the chance of a 27% main stat on relevant piece of gear is astronomical. Cubes also would rank you up, something that again almost never happens by normal means.
>>
>>339564632
Hackers and they never bothered to make the game less laggy. Horntail still fucking lags on the headsections and it'll probably never get addressed until they make the horntail skeleton like they ruined zak
>>
Everytime they added a new party quest, they fucked up an old one.
>>
>>339569612

Until they basically said "fuck it" and made party quests pointless outside of bosses.
>>
>>339564632
Nothing. It's better than ever.
>>
It was garbage at its inception.
Koreans can't into video game development.
>>
>>339565724
It wasn't revolutionary, but it was an ok time.

Still fucking love the music.
>>
>>339564632
Man dont remind me of maplestory days

Eventually I started buying cash shop clothing too

It hurts, just everything I remember about it I rather not
>>
>>339569612
>>339569693
What do you mean?
>>
File: cry.gif (619 KB, 500x280) Image search: [Google]
cry.gif
619 KB, 500x280
>>339569907
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMKo9fH2lO8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mF103-stxnk
>>
The only reason why it was such a huge hit was because of it's artstyle and friendly? community pre-BB
Now it's a p2w DPS race except if you're playing a Bishop
>>
>>339564921
You mean everything post Cash Shop.
Yes, there was a time Maple Story didn't have a cash shop to spend money on.
It was a F2P without the P2W.

Rip early BETA.
>>
>>339570262
>tfw when I had the beta bandana
>>
Why not try going on a private server?
Most servers are pre-BB and remove all P2W cash shop items while still keeping stuff like Gacha on.
>>
>>339570481
Can you boost me for free in Mapleroyals
>>
>>339570481
Are the private servers populated?
>>
File: beta.png (10 KB, 78x105) Image search: [Google]
beta.png
10 KB, 78x105
>>339570316
Logged in for the first time since 2003 not long ago.
Account still there even though last time I played was when Wizet was the one running the game.
Still running around with Chaos Robes (4/5) I got from kill stealing.

RIP BETA Maple Story
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=foiD5iCkq08
>>
>>339570604
Oh, the game was like 600-800MB at the time, now it was like 8GB or something...
>>
>>339570575
There's a pre-BB server that has 1k players, sometimes 1.5k, but it's a complete fucking shitfest
Everyone is so fucking OCD about muh HP washing and rolling a Bishop so they can get EXP leeching money. It's fucking stupid
>>
>>339570575
Some of them have pretty decently-sized communities.
>>
>>339570575

the two most populated pre BB private servers I know of are mapleroyals and maple destiny.

Royals is actually packed with a consistant 400 - 600, destiny is lower pop with 100 - 300

Royals has nearly vanilla rates while Destiny has much higher exp and drops but not obscene level up 10 times with a single kill kind of rates.

Unfortunately neither of them really go back far enough to be a true nostalgia server.
>>
>>339564632
Potentials are fucking trash
>>
File: cube chart 2.jpg (96 KB, 573x517) Image search: [Google]
cube chart 2.jpg
96 KB, 573x517
>>339565393
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (10 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
10 KB, 480x360
>>339569907
>>339570052

shit god damn ;_;
>>
>>339564632
When they started turning PQs into some stupid competitive time-attack thing. I think Monster Carnival was the first.

Kerning and Ludi PQ was some of the most fun and social eastern-style MMO gaming I've ever played.
>>
Does anyone even play this and Elsword anymore
>>
>>339570573
Can't, I'm in MapleLegends
>>
>>339570575
MRoyals is the most populated with around 1k users, the one I'm one goes around 60~70...
>>
you had to literally spend 900$ in order to reach endgame ever and get good upgraded gear
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3pfsCS7fWI
>>
>>339570604
I do miss this game's community and the popularity it had once back then but it was time for me to let it go after playing for about 9 years give or take. Although it was painful to see all that progress go and leaving the game behind but I will always remember the fond memories I had. From grinding at pig beach to ant tunnel and beyond as a cleric was awesome in it's own reward. Staying at ludibrium waiting for a hime/papulatus party which didn't take long mind you or saving noobs from a crimson balrog and hailed as a hero was always fun. I loved to PQ/party with my guild and doing the favorites like GPQ/CWKPQ and listen to the music and skill sounds everyone was doing making it seem like a epic battle against bosses. We always had a fun time playing together and fuck I still have this box full of maple story cards back when the iTCG was in its prime and shared my codes with my guild mates sometimes. If I could go back in time I'd do it all over again. Played in Windia, also S>Fame for 10k! @@@@@ <3
>>
>>339572165
Heh, I know like 2% of what you said.
All I remember is that they introduced the sky land where you ride a boat and there's some occasional balrog flying around when I was playing and the last update I saw after being on and off MS was a snow country.

>Played in Windia, also S>Fame for 10k! @@@@@ <3
What was the name of that rock town where they spammed @@@@@@@@@@@@@@ all the time?
I remember there was a quest where you killed wood stumps and farmed branches or something. Was probably a lvl20 or so questline.
>>
>>339572490
>"balrog's dead guys"
>gullible people go outside
>they turn into a tomb as the rush back into the cabin for safety
>>
>>339570957
We had let's see if I got this right.
1. Scroll Enhancements
2. Advanced Enhancements
3. Cube Potential
4. Bonus Potential
5. Nebulites
6. Star Force.
Also Card deck effects, link skills and azwan skills too.
Shit got pretty big as the years went by.
>>
>>339570604
What happend to Wizet?

Also, there's this thing called MapleRoyals, but it's not the same since everyones from the same forum. No true anonymity. Very few 11 year olds to make the experience genuine. /v/ tried to make it work with MapleRoyals but something tells me it turned circlejerk and died.
>>
File: dt.jpg (3 KB, 103x118) Image search: [Google]
dt.jpg
3 KB, 103x118
>>339572490
Oh you're talking about Orbis which is the sky land. And the rock town was Perion.
>>
I miss MS when it was only victoria island. It was fun traveling around pointlessly
>>
>>339572601
I-I was one of those that said that, even though I was the one that would be instakilled from touching him once.

I stole a wiz hat that time as well.
They played the Drop and pick up before low level noobs picks it up.
He didn't see I came from the door he stood at when he dropped the hat and I kinda had a habit of spamming Z or what it was to pick up.

>>339572702
Dunno, I just know they had to give it to some other team.

>>339572752
Could, be, I don't really have much memory of it but I do remember one of the angel statues.

Ah, yes Perion.
It was such a laggy town on my IBM R40 2682CAG laptop.

What I noticed when I started the game up not long ago, was that it was a clusterfuck of... well everything.
It was Gaia+non-standard fonts and no real way to easy know where to go.
And since I spawned in an area which I figure is a new starting area of some sort I had trouble even navigating myself back to where I was 12-13 years ago.
I remember I was farming zombie mushrooms in the sleepywood cave but when I got back there I was instakilled by the monsters there so a damage/def inflation must've happened since last time I played.

>>339572989
That's where I had my most memories from.
This Orbis was such a big thing, but I was too low level to actually be there and do things so I quit since my friend stopped playing around 2004.
>>
I still cant believe they never concluded the black mage story line and making him a final boss after all those years and tried to push Maplestory 2 which god knows what happened to that.
>>
>>339573050
Forgot image.
It even remembered my resolution I had at the time or maybe that's just because that is the default one.
>>
File: 29690955.png (71 KB, 353x352) Image search: [Google]
29690955.png
71 KB, 353x352
>>339564632
Alright, my roommate and I played a SHIT ton of this game. As in, my roommate hit level 200, I have multiple 170 characters, etc.

We've been playing on and off for the past 10 years or so, and have played the game at all points throughout its history, private servers included.

That being said, Big Bang fucked up a lot of shit, but also fixed a bunch of shit from the base game. Big Bang fucked up the experience curve so much that half of the game is dead content, and the end game only has a few viable training areas. Current maplestory is also even more pay-to-win than it was before, because miracle cubes are NEEDED to progress at higher levels. Also the new jobs are gay as fuck.

The base game has a bunch of shitty things too though. Stabs and slashes actually MATTERED for the longest time, which is responsible for making axes, polearms, and hammers useless due to forced animations of the skills.

4th job pre-BB was all about paying an archmage/bishop to leech for you, because they could grind 3x as fast as anybody else.

The damage formula for mages was retarded because INT > Magic Attack, meaning there was absolutely no reason to take any points in LUK despite the gear requiring it

I wish there was a perfect server that takes all the good changes but removes all the shitty ones.

>mfw it will never be 2006 again
>>
>>339572117
memories
>>
>>339573165
Coming from Vanilla BETA MS to this was not what I was prepared for.
Though, people that played it along with the changes probably think I'm stupid and would have no problem finding their way, but I was totally lost.
>>
>>339573129
He is still the big baddy, they're just skirting around the whole thing making up other shit so they don't have to put him in yet.

I suspect they will when Maplestory finally starts dying. The game is still surprisingly strong.
>>
File: 1433031491368.jpg (47 KB, 800x680) Image search: [Google]
1433031491368.jpg
47 KB, 800x680
>>339564632
We've grown up.
>>
>>339572752
>tfw I'll never train on death teddies with poison bubble again
>friends will never be jealous of how fast I leveled even though it still took a long time
>>
>>339573129
Wait what did happen to Maple 2? Wasnt it going to be some 3D shit? Also they dropped the Black Mage? wtf
>>
>>339573050
Yeah zombie mushrooms was removed in the revamped maps and was replaced by drake mobs all around. I personally miss the old maps instead of the more casual friendly layouts. But to each his own.
>>339573274
Still no 2-Handed Axe/Mace Job still making them dead weapons. I miss spamming genesis on skelegons. Shame that there are alot of dead maps that will never get real use from training but was fun exploring them for the first time like Korean Folk Town.
>>339573354
Yeah I agree. They are constantly adding filler content because they don't want it to end.
>>
The equipment grindwall at level 200

Sweetwater equips and dungeon/boss daily limits? Get the fuck out.
>>
>tfw cant remember my pass or 4 digit code
>used a throwaway e-mail
>messaged nexon so far back but they never responded

rip ice/lightning mage
you were cool
>>
>>339573827
I think it's possible to get it back.
I don't remember if I did that or if I just remembered it.
>>
>>339573713
He still around like this anon said.>>339573354
But they keep adding filler content and making shit up as they go.
>>339573713
No idea what happened to maple 2. Have not heard about it in a long time so can't say. I might check later. It was going to be 3D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ci-YiZ-Wf8A
>>
>>339573618
Those were the days anon. But I love paralyze and mist explosion though.
>>
>>339573715
No 2handed axe / mace jobs also make those weapons cheap as fuck allowing you to gear up decently.
>>
>>339573968
I was lucky I made it to 4th job before BB. After the update and all the class changes it killed f/p for me. It was fun while it lasted
>>
I remember when my family got our first home computer in 2007, then i discovered maplestory, then my sister saw me playing it and me and her would fight over the computer to play it, look back those were good times.

now she plays elsword so i don't know if thats a positive or a negative
>>
>>339574172
Tell her to play TERA so you can fap to her Elin.
>>
>see an adverticement for reboot
>downloaded the game and made a mage and got to lvl60
Was i the only one?
>>
File: kart rider.jpg (205 KB, 569x800) Image search: [Google]
kart rider.jpg
205 KB, 569x800
>>339573337
That's understandable anon. From vanilla to pantheon I'd say those would be overwhelming changes.
Another note I miss playing Kart Rider too. Shame they pulled the plug on that game cause it wasn't making them much cash.
>>
>>339574285
I read that the reboot was essentially the same game just with a harder grind.
>>
Are shadowers still shit?
>>
File: fist-enrage-effect.gif (65 KB, 544x235) Image search: [Google]
fist-enrage-effect.gif
65 KB, 544x235
>>339564632
Alright /v/ what did you play? For me Buccaneer was pure sex. If it had MP Regen to go with the HP Regen it would have been perfect.
>>
>>339574464
Got as far as Fighter. in pre-BB.
>>
>>339574285
i did the same
after lvl 33 theres some bs that levels u 3 times each level
i got to 150 and quit in 3 days
>>
>>339574464
I mained Bishop, Mechanic, Archmage F/P and Demon Avenger. I remember that barrage was like a combo input or something back then
>>
>>339568569

basically this
content was now balanced around potentials

Before potentials, even a shitter like me could get into endgame content like HT/Zakum by just being a useful class that provided buffs like Dark Knight/Bishop even if my DPS was shit.

After potentials now every member of a party needs MAX DPS.

>>339568987

Reboot didn't exist back then.

>>339570575

There's two major private servers, MapleRoyals for pre-bb and Ellinia for post-bb. Ellinia has a lot of custom content, while Royals is pretty close to vanilla.

>>339571141

Monster Carnival wasn't bad, but people just traded wins after a while. I used to play it "competitively" with my two sisters, we would shit on everyone since I was a tryhard dexless sin and one of my sisters was a cleric.

>>339574464

I/L -> F/P -> DrK after I wasn't getting into any boss runs with my F/P -> BaM -> Phantom
>>
File: bralli_6-1.jpg (130 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
bralli_6-1.jpg
130 KB, 1024x768
>>339574317
Oh right, Nexon was the name of the dev name that Wizet sold it to.

Yeah, I was like:
>The fug am I? The fug is this? The fug is THAT?"

I haven't played Kart Rider, but I play some other racing games at the time.

http://www.lgdb.org/game/turbo_sliders
Pic related is Generally

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIpFRLWSrXE&feature=youtu.be&t=371
>>
>>339573867
How do I get it back?
>>
>>339575326
Ah, sorry, I should've made an update on that.
I think I remembered my four digit since I used a number similar to the graphic card I had at the time.
I was just lucky to guess it I guess.

But I do remember searching for how to for some time.

https://support-maplestory.nexon.net/hc/en-us/articles/204080329-Where-can-I-retrieve-my-PIC-
>>
>>339564632
I was there through most of it lets see:

>potential broke everything pre-bb and was completely Pay2Win, yet people saw nothing wrong with that.

>BB broke everything even more and people liked that for a while

>The game was still not completely broken at this point, they added a ton of new classes, each more OP than the previous and things were still okay, people enjoyed new classes and all the buffs to everything. At this point any average player could hit level 100 on 1x experience in a day.

>Unlimited patch... "Hey I know! lets buff up the bosses so people that used to be able to kill them, won't anymore! AND THEY WON'T GET NEW DROPS!" Max level increased to 250, max damage increased from 1 million to 50 million.
>SO MANY PEOPLE QUIT, literally all but 1 person I knew, quit at that point.
>???
>3 years passed and I went back. No new generation of players came in, the only people left were people that played pre-unlimited. Most people just log on and leave their character AFK. They just can't get themselves to quit, the game is empty as ever.
>>
>>339575581

It's stupid how you need much better gear than the gear that a boss drops to actually kill it, even if you're in a group.

Before potential you could kill Zakum in an expedition even if you had level 90 weapons/gear.

Now you need 500k? range to kill Cygnus to get obsolete level 140 gear no one even uses anymore.
>>
>>339575581

>Most people just log on and leave their character AFK. They just can't get themselves to quit, the game is empty as ever.

That's depressing as fuck
>>
>>339574328
>release the Reboot server
>while also coinciding with the Burning Santa event that gives an extra 2 level ups until level 150
I've played it without that other Burning event (it only went up to level 100 this time) that happened recently, and it still felt easier to grind to me.
>>
>>339572702
3/4 of the team joined Nexon.
1/4 is gone already.

I hope Nexon says something about maplestory 2 this E3.
>>
>>339577147
Talking about wizet.
Us Min Kim still CEO of NA?
>>
File: 1446078827484.jpg (8 KB, 200x304) Image search: [Google]
1446078827484.jpg
8 KB, 200x304
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGRmkxZuP7Y
>>
Obligatory discord in case it pulls you back in
https://discord.gg/0tbZtaN7HqWibjSw
Don't let it pull you back in
>>
>>339564632
Some people would say the big bang, but I kind of liked the enormous content shakeup from what was becoming an otherwise stale game. Some people would say all the microtransactions and pay2win, but it's a shitty 2d MMO for babbies so I didn't mind. Some people would say all the hackers and cheaters, but despite their obvious presence I was never impacted too much by them. Some people would say it's just the long grind times, but if you don't like grinding then it's just not the game for you. Some people would say it's all the obnoxious BRs and kids, but it's an MMO what do you expect from the community.

What I didn't like was how frequent "special" events became and how they turned exclusive rewards into daily chores that you absolutely had to do or else miss out on some OP flavor of the month item. It turned the game into a job for me and has killed any attempt I've made to get back into the game.
>>
>>339579148
hackers and bots are the main reason I stopped any online game. All my friends did it when they played, but I've quit so many games because of it
Thread replies: 97
Thread images: 15

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.