[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Just started FFTA today and holy fuck, this is the most fun I've
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 95
Thread images: 9
File: Marche.jpg (93 KB, 902x985) Image search: [Google]
Marche.jpg
93 KB, 902x985
Just started FFTA today and holy fuck, this is the most fun I've had with an SRPG since I played Disgaea 2. I've been playing for 6 hours straight now. The music, atmosphere and gameplay are all stellar. FFTA thread? Is it even possible to make Archers worth using?
>>
>>339551801
Why do his legs look like bowling pins?
>>
Let me get this out of the way. Marche did nothing wrong and was entirely right with his decisions
>>
>>339551801
I don't know. After playing other SRPG this game looks so dull in comparison.
>>
>>339551801
I found both of those games to be unplayable. I don't remember much about the music or atmosphere but I just can't get past the bland repetitive gameplay, awful level design, terrible balance, poor writing, annoying characters, etc.

I don't understand what I'm missing. I really wish I could enjoy these games.
>>
>>339552613
Eh, when it comes to handheld SRPGs, I feel like Fire Emblem is just about as bland as it gets. Each level feels like a chore to complete, and this isn't even counting when you ave to reset if someone dies. RNG also factors into level ups which sucks a lot of the fun out of it.
>>
>>339552723
You're not missing anything. FFTA and FFTA2 are really only noteworthy for multiple races and a large number of classes to play around with.

Disgaea games are just sub-par srpgs.
>>
>>339551801
Archers become snipers which are pretty great (viera only of course)
As for human archers I can't say anything positive, I've never really liked using hunters or whatever
Also fencers and fighters are pretty dope
I also recommend ninjas
>>
>>339552917
>and this isn't even counting when you ave to reset if someone dies.

No one forces you to be a save scummer, babby.
>>
>>339551801
just wait until the law system fucks you in the ass
>>
>>339552024
Disregard the shape of his legs, it is time for you to go home.
>>
>>339553253
Not him but would that really count as save scumming...?
It's not like stopping and starting mid battle
>>
The PS1 game is better.
>>
>>339553407
The law system was never too much of a problem for me honestly
They give you cards like crazy and there are the jaggds or whatever
Plus you can see the laws ahead of time so you can walk around until you get a set you like
>>
>>339553697
>They give you cards like crazy

the game must of done a half assed explanation on the cards. I was unable to use any of the anti law cards
>>
>>339553447
Loading your save to negate an undesirable outcome is save scumming. Using it to negate permadeath in games is one of the oldest and most egregious examples of it.

FE fanbase is one of the biggest save scummer fanbases in vidya history. They do it for their RNG woes too.

They are the lowest tier casuals in srpgs.
>>
>>339553753
That's fair actually, the game didn't explain a number of things that well iirc
The best ones are the "r" cards that apply to all laws of that level, but it is annoying to even get to the card menu in battle
>>
>>339553253
No one forces you to, but you more or less need to when your magic user dies because he misses a 70% hit and gets counter killed.
>>339552987
What do you consider good SRPGs?>>339553175
I'm playing the GBA version, should I just drop the archer class for Fencer?
>>
>>339553697
Plus the braindead AI regularly broke the laws. That was always funny.
>>
>>339554165
and yet they don't automatically lose the match
>>
>>339551801
>rules for the map are that you can't attack monsters
>map only has monsters
>>
File: 1460670273123.gif (2 MB, 291x244) Image search: [Google]
1460670273123.gif
2 MB, 291x244
>>339553697

>Forbidden: Dmg2-Animal
>>
>>339554262
Breaking laws didn't automatically lose you the match though.
>>
>>339554110
I wouldn't, you'll get other Viera later probably. Go for sniper first, get some skills first (archer can get block arrow which is helpful earlier on, fencer get reflex which is crazy good)
After a while you can always switch it to fencer if you don't recruit someone for it
>>
>>339553697

I actually liked it. It forced me to play differently each time instead of using same classes and methods every game. Also made things interesting when no one could directly fight making you find other ways to attack.

>>339551801

What are you talking about archers are one of the most op/valuable classes in the game just for the archer skills.
>immobilize for crowd control
>blind to lower accuracy
>all those other status effects
>>
>>339554420
it does when Marche gets red carded on violating
"no knock back" ON A CRITICAL HIT WITH A REGULAR ATTACK
>>
>>339554353

>not charming the monsters to attack each other and watch as they all wind up in jail or dead
>>
>>339554110

Why would you want fencer over archer? Fencer is cool and all but Archers are too useful
>>
>>339554110
>What do you consider good SRPGs?

Well for the record I do find the FFTA games fun, just heavily flawed, and not among my favorites.

Unfortunately there are no flawless srpgs, "good" is more just "less flawed than most" and/or "fun regardless of flaws." Even in games like the original or PSP FFT or TO games, you run into balance issues and other problems (like TO's awful crafting system).

Some personal favorites:
Shining Force
Langrisser
Arc the Lad II
Front Mission
Jeanne d'Arc
Wild Arms XF
Stella Deus
>>
File: garon.webm (2 MB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
garon.webm
2 MB, 640x360
>>339554356
Have a better one.
>>
>>339554485
Yea archer can be decently strong for that, but I always like sniper with archer as the secondary abilities

That's right op you should know if you don't know; you can give people secondary abilities and not just "item"

Don't forget to equip supports, mythril weapons unlock combos you also have to equip
>>
>>339554000
>anti-law cards
I... don't remember using a single one of those.
>>
>>339554790
Oh, and FFT, TO and TO: The Knight of Lodis are favorites too.
>>
>boss does nothing but charm team
>walk around until law is "no charm"
>boss does literally nothing
>>
>>339551801
>Archers
Blind and Charm are godsend status effects, so are Immobility and Disarming. Archers are one of the best first tier classes because they shit out status effects from a range FOR FREE. Also mandatory for just about every class with high damage/low accuracy attacks because they're how Humes and Vieras get Concentration. Every one of your units should spend enough time as Archer to get Concentration and Boost if they're not magic units.

Hume Archers become Hunters, which get all sorts of extra shit regarding dealing with monsters as well as one of the longest range AoE attacks in the game (Sonic Boom). Notable skills include Sidewinder, which does buttfuckloads of damage for no MP cost on any monster enemy, and Capture, which is necessary if you want to fuck around with Beast Master (Nu Mou class). I believe Sidewinder works even with melee weapons, too. Always a good choice when dealing with monster enemies, but kind of mediocre when it comes to enemy guilds.

Viera Archers become Snipers, which is one of the best classes in the game (most Viera classes are the best classes in the game). Good long range damage, lots of speciality use Skills. Beso Toxico has good poison rate, can armor break at a range, and has the second longest Ultima attack in the game. Also is a mandatory class for Viera Assassins, one of the best stand alone classes in the game. Only loses its position as best to Hybrid characters.
>>
>>339554940
honestly I never used them either because I never needed to but they were always available for people saying the law system is crazy
>>
I used to pretend Marche was getting assraped in prison when he got sent there and fap to that
>>
Its slow as hell but yes the game is very addictive

I like FFTA2 better, well maybe not the character but overall gameplay

>FFTA3 is dead
>>
>>339554865

Definitely this. Sniper with archer skills is easily one of the best combos you can make
>>
File: if only.jpg (15 KB, 520x182) Image search: [Google]
if only.jpg
15 KB, 520x182
>>339555203
>>
Rather than make a FFTA3, I'd rather see them combine the superior gameplay, writing and art style of FFT with the multiple races and more extensive job system of FFTA/A2 and release it as FFT2.

Considering how much more divisive the TA games tend to be, it would probably give the game a better chance of succeeding.
>>
>>339555745
>no Matsuno

What's the point
>>
I leveled my March exclusively as a Ninja with Hunt sub just for Sonic Boom.

I left Montblanc for dead in a Jagd.

Everyone else I ditched for an army of Viera assassins with concentrate.
>>
OP retarded bullshit tier list:

>Summoner + Red Mage
>Assassin + Sniper / Gunner + Mog Knight
>Sniper + Archer

POWER GAP

>Dual Wielding Paladin + Fighter
>Dragoon + Gladiator

DOUBLE POWER GAP

>Every other combination
>>
>you can steal ability

Always cracked me up
>>
>>339556113
I like leveling Bangaa up as Gladiators then changing them to Templars for Cheer while they use the Sequence, Peytral, and Acacia Hat.
>>
My name is MARCHÈ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sg4Ai-A5ZBY
>>
>>339551801

Archers? No. But hunters are pretty fun
>>
>>339556232
>it was removed in A2
>>
>>339556232
It's supposed to be a late game accelerant ability to save you the effort of having to grind away all those skill points. But since you can technically grind for it after playing for 30 minutes, you can get it before you have even half of the world map filled out.
>>
>>339556113
>Juggalo not the most broken class of all time
>he didn't rape enemies with knives, hoops and smiles
>he didn't abuse the living fuck out of smiles

Do You Even Mog?
>>
>>339551801
Okay nigger I'm about to blow your mind.
The game has elite classes that have prerequisites from >MULTIPLE CLASSES<

Vierra archers become Snipers. Throw some Elementalist skills on a sniper, which require fencer and red mage skills, which require some white mage skills, can become Assassins. Assassins are arguably the most powerful class in the game, with ultima magic and one shot skills as well as the ability to use greatbows and swords.

There are other prestige classes that are just as hard to unlock, and Bkue Mage requires you to get hit by specific monster skills but if you get them all becomes overpowered as all fuck, especially since you can replace your 'item' command with the skillset of another class if you've mastered said skill. Shit goes fucking deep and the combinations are endless.
>>
>>339557087
Jugglers can get up to shenanigans, especially if you give them element absorption and React: Quicken.

Run the Juggler into an enemy crowd. Have a Summoner double summon whatever element they absorb first then hurt them with the second summon into critical state. Quicken will trigger, and it'll immediately become the Juggler's turn. Have the Juggler Smile the Summoner, and repeat.

Between those two, you can literally nuke the game, Laws allowing.
>>
>>339555860
He wouldn't be involved in the game under either title, so I'm not sure what your point is.

He wasn't involved in Tactics Ogre: The Knight of Lodis either, and that game was very good.

The point of releasing it as a FFT game rather than a FFTA game would be strictly for better reception.

And the combining of the best elements of both would just make a better game.

This "muh guy from the first game" maymay needs to die.
>>
>>339551801
Yes, make them mages and shoot summons/ultima at people
>>
>>339557103
I'm still learning, I guess I need to max the fuck out of my archer's skills, which is what I'm doing now.
>>
>Ivalice will die with FFTA2

What a waste

All those bunny girls and lizard man in FFXII did nothing except for Fran
>>
>>339551801
>Is it even possible to make Archers worth using
U fuking wot? Archers is the most broken class, especially in the beginning. Aim:arm or blackout takes care of 99% of enemies in the game
>>
>>339557706
>Max out skills
Not possible until just about end game.

Get Blind, Bind, and Immobilize; they're top tier skills, even at end game.

Don't discount melee classes: A hume with two soldier skills gets you fighter, which is a Hume class that can shit out close range damage. Bangaa get boatloads of HP in just about every class, and White Monk has a really solid skill set once you get a selection of knuckles for them to use.

Always attack from behind or side if you can (and law allows); you get extra damage and accuracy for it. Keep YOUR sides and back covered; there is a reason you can choose which way to face before the turn ends.

Arrows have to physically be able to reach the target to have an effect unless it's a special skill such as Blackout or Aim: Arm. If they're in range but there is an enemy or friendly in the way, the arrow will hit them instead of the target.

The next few bits are only important if you're minmaxing/interested in minmaxing, otherwise just play as you wish.

If the character starts as a mage, keep them as a mage style character as often as possible. The stats a character gets when they level up depends on their class at the time of level up. If your mage unit spends five levels as a soldier or archer, that's five levels they DIDN'T get magic related stats. If they need a skill from a non-magic class, send them on Dispatch missions as that class. Dispatch missions give skill points but no EXP.

Speed is absolute king in FFTA. The reason Viera are top tier regardless of class combinations is because just about every one of their classes gets extra speed at level up. Viera assassins get fuckloads of speed on top of that, as well. If you have a high enough Speed stat, you get multiple turns before anyone else. I think my highest record was my Viera Assassin getting five turns before the enemy team, two of which were one after another. Haste can win you a fight, Hastega can guarantee it.
>>
>>339551801
Definitely a great game.
You can easily get around the Law system by simply manipulating when you land on a panel. If a law you dont want is in effect just go back and forth between panels until it's gone then start the battle.
>>
>tfw i spent months trying to figure out how to get the cover weapon.

i was convinced it was somewhere in there.
>>
>>339558675
>Fighter is a close range damage dealer

More like a ranged damage dealer.

Air Render and Air Blast are literally what got me through like 90% of the game.
>>
>>339558810
>wanting a pizza cutter
>>
Is there FFTA PvP?
What did linking offer, anyways?
>>
>>339559101
Yes using linking you can pvp
I think you can do other stuff linking too but I forget
>>
>>339558863
It's the Judge Sword. It'll show up when you use the Judge skill as a Templar to steal JP.

I think Cid gets it, but I never bothered with doing all 300 quests.

>>339559101
Trading shit. I think there was PvP but I never knew anyone else with a copy of FFTA
>>
>>339559220
>>339559236
I can't even begin to imagine what a FFTA PvP meta would look like.
>No Totema
>No Ultima
>No Law Cards
>No Morphers
>Final Destination
>>
>>339559236
i wanted to get it for Marche
>>
>>339559453
I'm pretty sure there is a GBA emulator with multiplayer function.
>>
>>339551801
i beat ffta like 3 times, it is easily my favorite FF game and my favorite srpg.

snipers are broken as fuck once they get gear
>>
If you want to use Archers I recommend Tactics Ogre PSP where they are retardedly overpowered
>>
>>339559453
That would be pretty fun actually haha I used to play with friends and it was great. I don't think totema are allowed anyway
>>339559634
I would love to play online with /v/ or something I think we could get some fun tournaments going
>>
>>339556113
Holy blade was retarded

>Have a relatively normal playthrough, Marche is a paladin just because I thought it was a cool class and it was a natural progression from his initial soldier
>Get excalibur
>Learn holy blade
>ONE SHOTTING EVERYTHING AND EVERYONE INCLUDING THAT RIVAL CHARACTER JUST BEFORE THE FINAL BOSS WHAT THE FUCK
>>
>>339559994
>Rival character
Mewt's OC DONUT STEEL shadow is one of the few enemy characters with native Dark element, so yeah.
>>
>>339558675
I'm working on both of those skills at the moment, very grateful that this game never runs out of Clans for you to take on in the minimap.
>>Don't discount melee classes
I'm not, my White Monk....lizard person this is my first FF game ever is my main source of damage and can range kill with his Gentle Fist style Air Render
>>Always attack from behind or side if you can
I have this down, one thing I'm enjoying is that all my Disgaea knowledge transfers over just fine. Question though, does this apply to Magic skills? It seems they always have a reliable damage output regardless of which way I'm facing.
>>Arrows have to physically be able to reach the target to have an effect unless it's a special skill such as Blackout or Aim: Arm. If they're in range but there is an enemy or friendly in the way, the arrow will hit them instead of the target.
I figured this out the hard way.
>>If the character starts as a mage, keep them as a mage style character as often as possible.
At the moment I only have 1 mage. I've only recruited 1 other character so far and he's a Gladiator. I've made Marche into a mage on those rare maps where you can't regularly attack, but otherwise I only have one.

How exactly does recruitment work? Is it just random decided when an enemy clan member will join you or do missions give you allies?
>>
>>339560587
From what I remember it's pretty much random
Speaking of which, sometimes it's better to not recruit early on unless it's a race you really want (like viera ), unless you intend to pay attention to those early units
>>
>>339560587
>>339560905
Btw I think the limit is 23 units in the clan
>>
>>339560587
>>339561263
And for clarification, the units that join are usually matched to your level to some degree so that's why is sometimes better to wait
>>
>>339560587
Lizard people are called Bangaa.

>Does Backstab apply to magic skills
Only if the caster is from an advantageous position on the map. Choosing where the spell lands only dictates where the AoE falls. So if the caster drops the spell behind an enemy but the enemy is facing the caster's direction, no bonus. If the caster drops it on their face but is standing behind him from a distance, you get the bonus.

Heals, both status and HP, always have 100% accuracy unless the target is an undead. Then it is treated as any other combat spell.

>How does recruiting work
If I remember right, any time you finish a mission or a fight and you have space in your guild for at least one more person, there is a chance someone will be like HEY, CAN I JOIN

There are a couple special-but-random guys that are above average in terms of stats, feel free to look those up. They only show up after finishing certain missions, IIRC.

You want AT LEAST two of every race in your guild, if only for the job/race specific Dispatch missions. Remember, dispatch missions can raise skill points without leveling a unit, so use them to grind out skills while you walk around the map.

My final six man line up last playthrough was Marche as Paladin/Fighter, Montblanc as Black Mage/White Mage (only because I didn't have the heart to kill him off) two Viera assassins, my bro-tier Bangaa Dragoon/Gladiator, and a Moogle Gunner/Mog Knight. Nu Mous a shit.
>>
>>339559634
More info on this?
>>
>>339561469
I know /v/ has a group of people that play the Advance War games on VBA. Give me a bit to google shit.
>>
>>339561469
http://www.vbalink.info/vba-link-lan.htm

There it is. Using the VBALink emulator you can set up a LAN connection (through Hamachi or some shit) and play multiplayer on GBA games. I did this with some friends to play Sonic Battle.
>>
File: 1424489538635.jpg (38 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1424489538635.jpg
38 KB, 500x500
I dunno, I personally feel the game is way too fucking slow, but I'm only an hour or so in. Any tips?
>>
>>339551801
Great VG comercial? Or greatest VG comercial?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_L65VrvcVNM
>>
>>339563365
It's not a fast paced game in general, but the complexity starts once you get more classes and equipment (and thus, skills).
>>
File: 1366380927276.gif (1000 KB, 692x432) Image search: [Google]
1366380927276.gif
1000 KB, 692x432
>>339556113
>play with a Mog Gunner and use Ultima Blow from 8 spaces away
>>
Even though it's a GBA game, I really found myself immersed in FFTA's world, there was something really cozy about looking through those missions in the warm colored pub, and that world map music really gives a sense of adventure.

FFTA2's Ivalice was even better, and I love that they made the connection with FFXII. Beautiful music too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvZjyCGUj-Q
>>
>>339562796
Cheers Anon
>>
>>339565069
The whole "Ivalice Alliance" thing is overall really contrived though.

>these games are all in Ivalice
>but for some reason we've decided Vagrant Story and FFTA don't count because they're old. Or something
>but FFTA2 does count
>even though FFTA2 establishes connections to FFTA, which doesn't count

wut
>>
>Daily reminder Marche was right and in the end he impregnated Shara along with her clan
>>
>>339565369
But that's wrong.
FFTA does count. While it made a fake Ivalice, the people in it were pulled from the real one.
Vagrant Story also counts, it's just way disconnected in terms of being at a completely different point in time.
>>
File: NEVER EVER II.jpg (2 MB, 1581x2281) Image search: [Google]
NEVER EVER II.jpg
2 MB, 1581x2281
HAHHAHAHA
>>
>>339551801
I barely remember this game outside that Viera were the most useful race, especially with sniper and assassin. Also the Bangaa with templar and dragoon.

Moogles, humans, and nu mou fucking trash and useless races.
>>
>>339551801
>want to replay it to relive teenage rose colored memories
>have to sit through the long as fuck intro bullshit
>give up
it was fun though
>>
File: 1462389596288.jpg (1 MB, 2448x3264) Image search: [Google]
1462389596288.jpg
1 MB, 2448x3264
>>339570790
>want to replay the game
>remember how my last save got corrupted
>remember how in said save I spent 30 hours grinding with 3 characters
There's a point where I stop having fun and start "investing for future fun".
Thread replies: 95
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.