[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So do you guys think Square is on route to the golden age again?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 9
File: square-enix-logo-342.jpg (42 KB, 1230x690) Image search: [Google]
square-enix-logo-342.jpg
42 KB, 1230x690
So do you guys think Square is on route to the golden age again? They have some really great and promising games on the horizon

>Final Fantasy XV
>Kingdom Hearts 3
>Final Fantasy VII Remake
>Nier 2
>World of Final Fantasy
>Star Ocean 5

Square really got their shit together once Wada left. Do you love them again /v/ or has have you been burned too many times?
>>
File: thanks.jpg (97 KB, 1175x795) Image search: [Google]
thanks.jpg
97 KB, 1175x795
>>339546975
>All sequels or remakes

No.

They need to pump out a new IP.
>>
I don't think Square Enix will be ever back to their old popularity again. I think their games look gay as fuck now, and just for that reason, I don't even feel like recommending or talk about them. Their SNES games looked fine. You might think that is a pitiful nitpicking, but I think that really does prevent them from getting popular. Normies take that shit seriously, and gaming is all about normie money now.
>>
>>339548546
>the no new IP meme

It's not like Most of those aren't games people have wanted except maybe World of FF, not saying it's garbage, I just don't know anything about it

Do you really want Square to make a Jrpg that's not FF or DQ? And half of those have little relevance to past entries in the series. FF15 isn't going to be like 13 at all gameplay, Nier 2 looks to have more polished gameplay than the 1st one, and just seeing what they do with the story in that alone will be interesting.

What kind of game do you really expect Square to make? All their best games have been jrpgs.

It's also not really fair to call FF games sequels as they usually have little to nothing to do with each other.
>>
>>339548546

World of Final Fantasy is a new IP though
>>
>>339549156
It has fucking "Final Fantasy" on it. It has heavy cameos everywhere. It's as much new IP as Mario Maker is, which is not really.
>>
>>339546975
Square was always great. You naysayers need a fist in the mouth.
>>
File: parasite eve.jpg (24 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
parasite eve.jpg
24 KB, 480x360
>>339548546

Kinda agree. Once Final Fantasy VII blew up and made Square a shit ton of money, they cranked out new IPs . If it wasn't for the success of FF 7, we would have never gotten Parasite Eve.

What was Square's last new IP? The World Ends With You? Time to take another risk Square
>>
>>339546975
>>Final Fantasy XV
l o l
>>
File: twewy sequel NEVER EVER.png (338 KB, 960x640) Image search: [Google]
twewy sequel NEVER EVER.png
338 KB, 960x640
Please Square make a sequel. Please. I rove you rong time
>>
>>339546975
If most of these games end up meeting expectations, then we're in a golden age.

That will be fucking hard. Except for World of Final Fantasy, where there are no expectations anyways, KH3, FFXV and FFVII all have people expecting the moon. If they can pull it off? I'm in.

>>339549413
You answered your own question as to why Square isn't taking huge risks.

>If it wasn't for the success of FF 7, we would have never gotten Parasite Eve.

They haven't had a hit as big as FF7 since then, so they haven't been able to take as many risks.
>>
>>339548696
Normies love gay looking games, considering GTAV is the best selling game of all time.
>>
File: 1448345535880.png (135 KB, 235x252) Image search: [Google]
1448345535880.png
135 KB, 235x252
I think only time can tell if they've really returned to their old glory. If these games (especially the VII remake) aren't top notch, they'll crash and burn like never before.
>>
File: Chrono_Trigger_Artwork1.jpg (118 KB, 700x640) Image search: [Google]
Chrono_Trigger_Artwork1.jpg
118 KB, 700x640
New game when?
>>
>>339550282
I think the FFVII remake has a cushion between being perfection and failure, though. As does FFXV.

For XV, the casual fanbase hasn't been waiting 10 years for this game. They'll accept a damn good game, whereas people who've been waiting for 10 will have higher expectations. The gap will give them a cushion for some slipups.

With VII, even if it isn't very good, that first disc is getting millions of sales day one. Hopefully that doesn't happen, but they can easily fuck off on it.
>>
Are the recent SaGa and Mana games good?
>>
File: sto5.jpg (306 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
sto5.jpg
306 KB, 1920x1080
>>
People have bitched about almost every FF post-VII. XV will be no different. But it will still sell like hotcakes.

FFVII is the remake people have been asking for for years, done as an episodic arpg that no one asked for ever. Will still sell a bajillion copies even if it's shit.

KH games are garbage but have a built-in retard fanbase. Another huge seller.

World of FF could be good. Will sell ok just on the name.

Golden age return? Maybe, if the three FF games and DQXI turn out good. Certainly it will be a golden age for SE making money.

Star Ocean 5 is developed by tri-ace and Nier 2 is PlatinumGames. Square are only the publishers.

>2016
>people still fucking give publishers credit for games over devs because "hurr dats da name I saw on it"
>>
File: cover_large.jpg (118 KB, 600x532) Image search: [Google]
cover_large.jpg
118 KB, 600x532
>>339549413
>What was Square's last new IP?

Does this count?
>>
>>339552015
Kind of, but it was made as a sequel to FF IV, then turned into Bravely Default, so it ended up becoming new.
>>
>>339552151
>Kind of, but it was made as a sequel to FF IV
>FF IV

Nope.

FF: The 4 Heroes of Light
>>
File: YazanZZ.jpg (15 KB, 327x214) Image search: [Google]
YazanZZ.jpg
15 KB, 327x214
>>339546975
>FFXV
I never played game with more boring gameplay mechanics in my life, locations are cool tho.
>KH3
lol
>FFVII remake
probably meh if anything like FFXV gameplay
>Nier 2
>Star Ocean
they are only publisher
>World of FF
maybe something to be interesting here. We'll see after it will be released.

Square just being shit as always, no golden age here.
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.