[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Will Playtonic be a success? Will they have money to make games
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 5
File: playtonic.jpg (32 KB, 512x512) Image search: [Google]
playtonic.jpg
32 KB, 512x512
Will Playtonic be a success? Will they have money to make games beyond Yooka-Laylee?
Would you support future kickstarters from them?
>>
probably. they are pretty much N64 rareware minus the FPS team. They know what they want to make and arent puppets of a greedy, out-of-touch publisher
>>
YL is overhyped already

The fact that they're begging the gullible public for money proves that they're already on the ropes
>>
>>339544403
Fuck, that logo is literally perfect.
>>
>>339544889
>they're already on the ropes
I'm very sure all of them have hundreds of thousands they can just used to make the game.
>>
>>339545402

>YL gets funded
>Grant Kirkhope makes a video to say thank you from backers
>from the spacious backyard of his expensive L.A. home, right next to his private pool

I'm sure that up-and-coming content creators such as him need grassroots funding to get by
>>
>>339545669
Grant Kirkhope's not part of Playtonic, he's a freelance artist.
>>
>>339544403
>Would you support future kickstarters from them?
Well that depends if YL is any good.
>>
Its the Wii U game I am most looking forward to playing. The more I read and learn about it, the more excited I become. I especially like how they are making sure the collectibles each have a purpose, instead of just "collect this to get closer to 100%ing the level".
Examples that we know of so far:
>You collect money of some kind to buy tonics from a vending machine that make abilities better. Like making you jump higher, or have a longer reach.
>Also that one collectable you spend to play arcade games from Rextro Sixtyfourus.
>That one collectable you spend to have Dr. Puss transform you.
>That collectable you spend to buy new moves.
>>
>>339545759

Yet Kirkhope himself is personally thanking backers on behalf of Playtonic.
>>
>>339545905
that's not solid evidence, just speculation
>>
File: 1463766344147.jpg (2 MB, 2500x1500) Image search: [Google]
1463766344147.jpg
2 MB, 2500x1500
I know the game is going to be good, but my main concern is the marketing.
How will the """"""""""""journalists"""""""""""" and """"""""""""reviewers"""""""""""" alter the view of the normalfags and effect the overall sales?
This isnt like the old days, where games actually had to be good to make money.
>>
>>339546120
nah senpai, they totally could make 200 yooka laylees with the money they have on their pockets, they just don't because DA JEWS control everything and want your money. KS is always a scam and he's the only red pilled anon who sees the light of truth.
>>
>>339546426
I'm betting most "journalists" will jump on the retro bandwagon regardless of the game's quality.
>>
>>339546426
>>339546446
who let /pol/ in
>>
>>339546618
mocking "jew conspiracy" nutjobs is the exact opposite of /pol/
>>
>>339545905
He cares, he's close to this.
He's getting paid, but remember the actual team of developers started with fuck-all.
>>
If Yooka-Laylee turns out to be good, I'll support them again. I miss the platforming collectathon genre and I miss Rare.

I wonder if we'd get a spiritual successor to Conker down the line? Something to make up for that god awful Kinect monstrosity they're turning him into.
>>
I'm mad and happy at the same time
>>
File: zadfa.png (306 KB, 975x1045) Image search: [Google]
zadfa.png
306 KB, 975x1045
>yfw Playtonic takes all your beloved childhood games that have gone to shit and create spiritual successors that are even better than the originals
A man can dream
>>
>>339547495
I'd like spiritual successors to their cancelled games, like Donkey Kong Racing, Sabreman Stampede, Dinosaur Planet, Kameo 2, Project Dream, Twelve Tales.
>>
>>339547781
>Jet Force Gemini spiritual successor with good controls

I'm down
>>
>>339547781
YL will be better than Banjo, but our past experiences as kids will never be the same today
>>
>>339547495
For a good Conker game, you'd need Chris Seavor and Robin Beanland, and I know Beanland still works at Rare.
>>
>>339547890
A new adventure racing game like DKR would be my absolute fucking jam.
>>
File: TSFP_Xbox.jpg (77 KB, 640x917) Image search: [Google]
TSFP_Xbox.jpg
77 KB, 640x917
I think Playtonic has potential and Yooka Laylee's looking great but I think people are getting a little carried away when they say that "Playtonic's the new Rare!" and "Playtonic consists of all the old Rare employees!"

Something a lot of people don't seem to know about Rare of yore is that they had multiple teams working on multiple projects at once during the SNES/N64 days. You had the team that worked on Goldeneye and Perfect Dark, the team that worked on Conker and Killer Instinct, the team that worked on DKC3 and DK64, etc. But most importantly there was the team behind DKC1&2 and the Banjo games, which Playtonic is essentially a continuation/extension of outside of missing Gregg Mayles who still works at Rare.

My point is the notion of Playtonic doing a Conker spiritual successor to me is odd because most of its team members weren't the same people who worked on BFD. Last time I checked the head honcho of that game Chris Seavor was working on his own terms on a game called Rusty Pup. Similarly if you were wanting a successor to Goldeneye and Perfect Dark I'd suggest playing the Timesplitters trilogy. It's developers Free Radical (RIP) consisted of many former Rare employees from the GE/PD team which is why Timesplitters is so similar in style. It's basically to Goldeneye and Perfect Dark as Yooka-Laylee is to Banjo.
>>
Who knows?
Depends on Yooka-Laylee.
No, probably not. Yooka-Laylee is already fairly botched.
>>
>>339549185
>Yooka-Laylee is already fairly botched.

?
>>
File: 1450118350627.jpg (193 KB, 881x675) Image search: [Google]
1450118350627.jpg
193 KB, 881x675
I have hope for their studio, but the name Playtonic sounds like on of those sketchy websites from 2007 that said they had old computer games for free but really all it did was add a bunch of toolbars to your browser and cause you to have this client running all the time, only giving you a demo of the game you wanted. Playtonic sounds like the name of some guy who just made shitty flash games for Miniclip that kids would play in the computer lab. Point is, Playtonic is a fucking stupid name
>>
>>339549251
The story.

Not too keen on the minecart, given their history.
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.