[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Dark Souls 1
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1
File: 20160531205334_1.jpg (505 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
20160531205334_1.jpg
505 KB, 1920x1080
Is pic related a good stat distribution for my level 39 guy? I'm just getting around to actually playing through this all the way for the first time. I looked up what people say, and I am getting my Dex up to 20 for some sort of weapon requirements later on. What stats should take precedence? I'm basically a melee character, sword and shield at the moment. Right now in Darkroot Garden and just killed the moonlit butterfly and I guess I'm gonna go see what else there is to do in this area.
>>
>>339544096
In essence there are 4 stats you want to consider for melee damage output: str, dex, int, faith. Int and faith are for short-term buffs (but you can also pair them with spells).

Additionally, vitality and endurance are useful always.

Finally, if you do go int/faith, you will want at least some attunement (amount of slots is preference). Additionally, you can get attunement even without int or faith for pyromancies.

As for your actual build, it depends on what you want to do overall. Dex tends to have faster weapons and str tends to have slower weapons. Dex also lets you cast faster.
>>
>I'm just getting around to actually playing through this all the way for the first time. I looked up...

you fucked up anon. The joy of Dark Souls is walking into the unknown.
>>
>>339544632
Well that's the only hard part, I'm not sure what weapon I'm gonna really want by the time I'm a higher level. But I'm assuming most swords use str for damage. The only reason I'm putting points into dex is because I read that some good greatsword had a min of 20 dex required to wield it effectively. I think next time around I'm gonna forgo this heavy armor type character because I would die a lot less if I could dodge better lol.
>>
>>339544894
Oh I get that, I was just really wanting to get to 2 and 3.
>>
>>339545043
Most weapons do not use str for damage. Quality weapons are probably the most common. Dex are 2nd most common. There aren't that many pure str weapons but there are enough of them to do okay.

More about your build. By having 20 str AND 20 dex, so you are already pushing toward a quality build (both str and dex). This is because for str builds there are good str weapons that require 0 dex, and as for dex builds you don't really need more than 14-16 str. So, if you don't go quality, you have already "wasted" several points (really you could just stop wasting and deal with what you already wasted, it isn't a huge deal).

Anyway, there is nothing wrong with a quality build, and it lets you try lots of weapons. In fact, once players reach a high enough level with a pure build, they often transition into buff or quality anyway. Buff tends to do more damage but be short-term, but quality gives you more weapon options and is always useful instead of being a timed buff. I guess if you got a very high level you could actually do all 3.

A simple example of a quality build would be 27 str, 40-45 dex, 30+ vit, 40 end.
40 dex is for soft-capping out dex scaling damage, but 45 is for maxed casting speed on pyromancies (so dont go past 40 unless you decide you really like pyros).
27 str is so you can switch to 2H mode and also reaching the 40 str scaling soft cap (27 * 1.5 when in 2H mode)
30 vit is when the returns first start to drop.
40 end is when you can no longer get any stamina, just equip load. You could maybe drop a few points in this if you count the amount of stamina the weapon(s) you end up using drain per hit.
The biggest downside of this build is that you need to switch to 2H mode often if you want your full potential to be utilized, and that can be difficult for a new player. You need to get comfortable constantly switching between 1H-2H modes or not relying on your shield.
>>
vit end str dex, all at 40. keep them level for autism's sake. alternatively forget either str or dex for now, based on the weapons you tend to favor, then level it once you have the other three at 40.
>>
>>339545129
That's funny because 1 is the best. How much have you 'looked up'?
>>
>>339546227
What items I find are for and for help with the stray demon because I died like 15 times in a row without getting anywhere. And what the stats are for etc. I just didnt want to get to a dead end with a fucked up build and not be able to get past some enemy without grinding for souls for five hours to fix whatever I messed up.
>>
>>339546485
You found the Stray demon yourself? Good job. It's probably best to not not worry too much about your stats on your first playthrough; if you want to make an optimized character it is much easier when you already have a weapon you like in mind and when you know how to get shit quickly.
>>
>>339546485
Stray demon is a piss easy fight, as are most humanoids once you figure out how they work. Hug their legs and try to run behind them. All the attacks that clear out their immediate area are heavily telegraphed and easily avoidable. The only major exception is 2nd phase O/S.
>>
>>339546829
>Stray Demon
>humanoid
>>
>>339546738
>>339546485
I should've added that you likely won't hit a roadblock so bad that practice or upgrading your weapon, or just coming back later won't fix.
>>
Not really on topic, but a friend of mine told me about the existence of a /v/ Google Drive where I can find a bunch of stuff (what I'm looking specifically for are the Halo OSTs). Do any of you know what's up with this?
>>
Gerald is a cucks name
>>
>>339546946
It is, yes. Just like Iron Golem, Taurus, and Capra.
>>
>>339546485

Any build is viable as long as you have a basic understanding of the stats and don't distribute points retardedly.

You only need to build for pve anyway because ds1 pvp is shit.
>>
>>339547126
How would someone know Resistance is worthless without looking it up beforehand? It says it raises defense -- if you've never played Souls, it seems like a good thing to invest into.
>>
>>339547051
no u

>>339546829
Yeah once I got the rythm down it wasn't bad. My biggest problem was just getting greedy. One I took his health down bit by bit it was a lot better.
>>
>>339547409
That's generally how you'll want to proceed, yeah. Dark Souls is fucking slow in that regard. It doesn't reward prudence so much as it punishes temerity.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.