[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How was this game bad? Picked it up at a local game shop because
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 111
Thread images: 13
File: images.jpg (11 KB, 209x241) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
11 KB, 209x241
How was this game bad?

Picked it up at a local game shop because I wanted to check what they had and not leave empty handed. Just beat it and its a fucking gem. One of the best linear story games I've ever played.

It does deserve all the 10/10, it's beautiful looking, amazing cast of voice actors, nice game mechanics and Gore, and a compelling and interesting scenario. Really makes you feel for the characters too. Ellie is my daughterfu and Joel is my husbando.

Originally the ending pissed me off but after thinking it over I realized the game is about loss and the savage primal shit average people will do when things go to hell. Even if it is completely wrong to do. Joel is a great antihero.

Fuck u people on /v/ who shat on this game forever.
>>
>>339526472
It's a great game, limited by the fact that it is exclusive, so of course people get bitter about it. It is a rent type of game, but features more hours like how games use to do.

The multi-player was fun as fuck, maybe not Gears of War cover speed, but smoother with arguably more interesting map layouts for team pincering.

The DLC went to appeal to the SJW crowd that everyone is meh about but gets unnecessary praise.

People also hate more concentrated path games for some reason, even thought this definitely benefits the scenario since you are moving in one direction to the next goal in the first place in open world games for plot development.

Also PS4 was just a graphical update, so naysayers gave that shit, despite the fact they are eating up sequals and remakes praising there games as the 2nd coming of christ.
>>
>>339526472
>It does deserve all the 10/10, it's beautiful looking, amazing cast of voice actors
average naughty dog fan
if you want to watch a movie go to the fucking cinema
>>
File: animu rage.gif (1023 KB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
animu rage.gif
1023 KB, 500x281
>>339526472
>It does deserve all the 10/10
No.
That's a perfect score.
Perfection is unobtainable.

You are the cancer
>>
>>339527167
Yeah, haven't touched the mp but the single player and dlc took me about 17 hours to complete on normal. Only gripe is that's not worth 60 bucks if you don't get into the mp.

The dlc is short but very cute if you aren't a poltard who gets butthurt at a woman character who acts like a human being and can actually fend for themselves. Also that girl romance was p nice
>>
>>339527334
Hur dur 25 mins of GOOD cut scenes in a 15+ hour game equals movie
>>
>>339527458
Relative perfection for its genre.
>>
>>339526472
>repetitive enemies and level design
>boring puzzles
>bad aiming that forces you to mash square until win. The worst: there are forced gunfights late in the game
>the major impact about the death of a certain character is quickly washed away by a stupid plot where this character survives like a fucking miracle
>no bosses
>the game just ends without a relevant final confrontation, it's just a escape sequence filled with bullet sponge enemies
>15 hour shallow and repetitive adventure that could be way more enjoyable if was about 8h long maximum

7/10 game at best
>>
>>339527962
which character survives like a fucking miracle?
>>
> it's a /v/ is one poster thread
>>
>>339526472
The game was great honestly. Only really bad thing about it was the framerate was awful on PS3.
>>
>>339528127
Joel had a steel bar in his fucking chest, he was literally impaled but managed to survive in a post apocalyptic world where infections are very likely and medicine is rare to obtain... and on top of that a little girl with suddenly gorgeous medic skills saved him.

In a real life scenario, he would bleed to death.
>>
>>339527334
Interactive storytelling experiences have a place in the medium as long as it doesn't become oversaturated with them. Deal with it.
>>
>>339527334
Just out of curiosity, I Google the total length of the cutscenes in the Last of Us.

One hour, thirty two minutes is the total length of the cutscenes. Out of a 15 - 20 hour game, that's really not that bad, but only because this is such a story driven game. That's Metal Gear Solid 4 territory, I think, but it feels less obtrusive in the Last of Us, mostly because the cutscenes are usually only a couple of minutes, with the few long ones coming in at around 10 minutes. That pales in comparison to the running time of many of the cutscenes in MGS4.

Does this make The Last of Us a movie instead of a game? Despite the cutscenes taking up the running time of an actual movie, no. There is still far more time spent actually playing the game than watching cutscenes. As long as gameplay is the focus, it's a video game, not a movie.
>>
>>339528660
so long as you call them interactive storytelling experiences and not games that's cool with me
>>
>>339528790
Fuck that, "game" is way faster to refer to them in conversation, or when talking about them online.
>>
>>339528790
That's more agreeable than I expected.
>>
>>339528734
15 hour of repetitive enemy encounters, empty hallways and boring puzzles.

It would work much better as a sandbox/mission game with that length

They should have cut half of ita length and added boss fights
>>
File: cinecasual.png (318 KB, 900x900) Image search: [Google]
cinecasual.png
318 KB, 900x900
>>339528734
>game gets called a movie game just because of the amount of cutscenes

No.
>>
>>339529115
>15 hour of repetitive enemy encounters, empty hallways and boring puzzles
That doesn't make it not a game.
>>
>>339527458
alright so no game can get a 10/10 because nothing is perfect.

game gets a 9, the highest possible score. people will bitch about that because they gave it the highest obtainable score and THAT shouldn't ever be possible.

10 means highest possible recommendation. a game that's simply a must-buy according to whoever reviewed the game. only spergs use the "10 means perfect so it can't be!" argument.
>>
>>339528734
well it's kind of misleading seeing so much of the game is "walk and talk while you find a ladder" which technically isn't a cutscene but is the same no gameplay only story bullshit
>>
File: image.jpg (73 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
73 KB, 480x360
>>339526472
But this game was better
>>
it's half life 2 of last gen
>>
>>339529162
That's the most autistic thing I've ever seen.
>>
>>339526472
I agree I loved TLOU. I stopped taking advice on games from /v/ and just playing them my damn self.
>>
>>339528734
>Does this make The Last of Us a movie instead of a game?
It's not the length of the cutscene, it's the on rail, narrative focused "experience" that make it a move. I liked it, though, but still. It doesn't shine by the gameplay. People like it because they feel invested in the compelling story, not because of what/how they are actually playing with their gamepad.
>>
>>339529435
10/10 does not mean a perfect game. It never has. It means the game is the pinnacle of its genre at the time, something that changes the way all future games will be made. not that it has 0 flaws.
>>
>>339529463
If you're controlling the character, that's gameplay. What you're suggesting basically would mean that in, say, Mega Man 2, you're only actually playing the game when you're actively fighting enemies. Any time spent walking does not count. Would you really suggest that gameplay is only when you're engaged in combat? Doesn't that seem just a little silly to you?
>>
>>339529642

> I liked it, though, but still. It doesn't shine by the gameplay.

i loved the shit out of the gameplay

it was repetitive but the varied environments and well co-ordinated AI made it really good

people look at games with simple gameplay and strong narratives and act like the gameplay was not a priority but that's only true in the sense that it doesn't have a lot of features - it can still be well designed.
>>
>>339530006
>If you're controlling the character, that's gameplay
not really. is dear esther a game? you walk around the world and have a story delivered to you. it's more like an art installation. a game involves a challenge to overcome. walk and talk sections aren't game, they're slightly more interactive cutscenes
>>
>>339527334
stop saying this. it's a stupid tv melodrama, not cinema. i would like a movie game if it was written by george romero or another competent writer
>>
>>339530592
have you seen the quality of movies lately? the last of us is better than the capeshit stuff they keep making and i dont like the last of us
>>
>>339529576
But it will have a sequel.
>>
File: 1463531815158.jpg (87 KB, 425x450) Image search: [Google]
1463531815158.jpg
87 KB, 425x450
Joel did nothing wrong
>>
>>339527334
PCfat detected
>>
>>339530995
Pretty much
The cure would have just delayed the inevitible
>>
>>339530995
I doubt the Fireflys would have made anything from just one sample patient anyway. Even if they did, all they could MAYBE make is a vaccine, and as the game shows us the infected can fucking ruin you even if they don't infect you.
>>
I picked this up on ps3 on launch day after seeing all the hype. I personally liked the Uncharted series better. Couldn't give a shit about Joel or Ellie.
>>
>>339526472
The main reason it was praised was because it featured blacks, gays, lesbians, and strong independent women. Also probably because it tried to go the dissonance angle which is nothing new.

It's a solid game but it's not the 3rd coming of Christ.
>>
>>339528650
It was his stomach, the dlc explains how she saves him (which I admit is dumb), and she has medic skills probably because she was being trained by the QZ military.

He probably should have bled out tho
>>
>>339532663
>The main reason it was praised was because it featured blacks, gays, lesbians, and strong independent women
Christ man, I'm anti-SJW as I can be but you're really stretching. People just liked the story and atmosphere. It appealed very well to casuals, that's all.
>>
What was your favorite moment?
>>
>>339532402
Uncharted was like playing a fun Indiana Jones/The Mummy movie. TLOU felt like a melodramatic "muh feels" oscar bait zombie movie.
>>
>>339534215
One of the moments that immediately comes to mind is when Joel says to Ellie
>You're treading on some mighty thin ice here.
Troy Baker did a brilliant job with that performance.

>>339532663
Yeah, Bill is gay, but the game doesn't choke you with the fact and that's why the story works. It's natural unlike shit Anthony Burch and other writers often do.
>>
>>339530995
yeah but he was a bad and selfish person. I don't blame him tho
>>
File: 1460610671712.png (98 KB, 375x375) Image search: [Google]
1460610671712.png
98 KB, 375x375
>>339529538

>Sonic
>Good
>>
>>339526472
Last gens RE4
>>
>>339534212
>people liked the story

Exactly and those characters played a part. I'm ok with inclusion in video games but when you want to use it as part of the review score? Go write about it elsewhere.
>>
>>339537916
So you have the licence to decide what is a part of a video game and what isn't?
>>
>>339537916
Maybe I just don't read enough reviews, but as far as people I've discussed the game with go, nobody has ever included that as one of their reasons for liking the game. I guess it boils down to fuck reviewers, as if that's anything new.
>>
>>339526472
The production values are amazing but you're going to have a bad time if you go in expecting a FUN game. At least that was the case for me.
>>
It's how every AAA+ cinematic experience normie game should be. It's actually one of the best of its genre.
>>
>>339528734

are you retarded

MGS4 has something like 8 hours of cutscenes

TLOU has about 25 minutes of true cinematics. you can tell because they're not rendered using the in-game engine

TLOU is by far the best thing ND has ever made and will ever make. If it wasn't a PS4 exclusive and a tumblr favorite, people wouldn't be so butthurt about it.
>>
I enjoyed it a lot. The writing was good, the atmosphere was fantastic, the gameplay was pretty fun, and the multiplayer was great.

It was my GotY for 2013, with only Link Between Worlds coming close.
>>
File: 1434337381544s.jpg (2 KB, 125x93) Image search: [Google]
1434337381544s.jpg
2 KB, 125x93
>>339530995

>vaccine
>fungus
>>
What took you so long? Seriously where were you when the game released and everyone was sucking naughty dogs dick?
>>
>>339530995
He killed the doctors when he didn't have to. He could have easily just beaten them down.
>>
>>339541464

the doctors were the ones pushing Marlene to cut Ellie up. They had to die.
>>
File: ibs4wUfUcqXd3k.jpg (265 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
ibs4wUfUcqXd3k.jpg
265 KB, 1920x1080
/v/ would love the game if it was on PC.
>>
Great game for people who don't play video games. The gameplay itself is completely generic 3PS fare with an overpowered execution mechanic thrown in just to make sure you never feel any sort of challenge while playing. If you're really into the whole zombie apocalypse trope or if you like "cinematic" shit then I guess it could be your 10/10. But if you're looking for an actual game then just go play Red Dead Redemption or some other actually decent third person shooter. You'll get more of a challenge, more gameplay hours, and ironically a better story to boot.
>>
>>339541805
Well /v/ loved Life is Strange
>>
>>339541853

>buzzword buzzword buzzword
>insert shitty ill informed opinion here

RDR and TLOU are both great games. Get over yourself.
>>
>>339541464
You can choose to let them live, tho.
>>
>>339541853
>you never feel any sort of challenge while playing.

t. someone who has never played the game or played it on Easy or Normal

Try it on Grounded, then come back and tell me it's "easy" you memeing fuck.

TLOU isn't Uncharted.
>>
File: 1436160883944.jpg (211 KB, 658x962) Image search: [Google]
1436160883944.jpg
211 KB, 658x962
>>339541989
case in point
>>
>>339541464

you killed them as him, it's totally optional

>>339541853

the game can be challenging on a hard enough difficulty bro
>>
>>339542182
I did two playthroughs, first one on Hard or whatever the second hardest difficulty is and then on the hardest when I unlocked it after beating the game. It's funny because in 2013 when the game first came out I got accused of the same thing when I called your casualized linear drivel easy and had to post a screenshot of the PS3 trophy to shut you fanboys up. Shame I don't have access to my PS3 right now or I'd do the same thing, but either way it's nice to see that you still have the same arguments. It's fucking piss easy as both a stealth game and a shooting game. Gears of fucking War one of the plebbest series in existence is literally a more difficult 3PS than TLoU and has a more mechanically complex gameplay system.
>>
>>339542065
>>339542605
You can't progress until you at least kill the one near the operating table.
>>
>>339543281
wrong
>>
>>339527334
This. The only people who praise the game so much are sony ponies.
>>
>>339527542
He isn't talking about that, he is referring to the black lesbian lover that appealed to SJW and pedos.
>>
>>339528650
Who the fuck calls medical skills gorgeous?
>>
>>339542615

>l-look guys, I beat the game, it's totally easy

you're like those shitheads that finish a souls game and come on here to shitpost about how they beat the hardest boss on their first try

there are different ways of playing the game that make it easier or harder. stealth is harder, full rambo is more difficult on high settings. I know you got your ass beat in the sewers and the snowy village. I know you struggled to get past the fireflies before figuring out where to throw the smoke bomb. you can use cheap fucking tactics to beat any game. you can powerun your way from checkpoint to checkpoint and exploit the autosave feature. that doesn't make it an easy game.

no, it's not fucking Ninja Gaiden hurricane pack hard. nobody claimed that. but if you play the game properly on the highest setting, there will be some challenges. stop being a faggot
>>
>>339542615

you're obviously exaggerating and it's really annoying. the reason people questioned whether you'd played the game is because your comments are out of proportion. no game like this is ever gonna be that hard but the last of us isn't 'piss easy' on its harder difficulties.
>>
>>339527652
you and I know damn well that 15+ hour "game" is just in game cutscenes
>>
>>339543475

>15 years old
>pedo

>girls kissing
>must be lez

wanna know how I know you're a retard?
>>
>>339528734
Slowing down the walking speed and having characters talk for minutes a time while nothing happens is a cheap way to cut down the amount of what would normally be a cut scene.

Slowly walking and talking is essentially no different from a cut scene.
>>
>>339543520

there is a tendency for people to take adjectives generally used positively and use them in a generally positive way, with no regard to the original specific meaning - like 'brilliant' or 'fantastic' or 'fabulous'. i dunno if there's a linguistic term for this or if it occurs in other language but i think that's what he did.
>>
File: 1464421213863.png (28 KB, 727x1500) Image search: [Google]
1464421213863.png
28 KB, 727x1500
>>339526472
Because /v/ hates video games
>>
>>339543753

>Slowly walking and talking is essentially no different from a cut scene.

i disagree, it's a mid point. you'd have more of a point if you could only move along a specific track and there weren't missable areas and collectibles. i was disappointed in how limited the puzzley bits were though.
>>
>>339530006
If in mega man 2 you're walking speed was slowed way down and you were essentially just reading text for 10 minutes then that is pretty much a cut scene.

Except mega man 2 doesn't do that like last of us.
>>
>>339528650

it wasn't his chest you moron, it was his abdomen, i.e. a cavity with no major organs inside it

they probably made it worse by pulling him off the ground like that, but the pressure was on

blood clotted somewhat and he she stiched him up. you live in a post apocalyptic world and attend a military academy, you'll probably learn how to sew a wound. he eventually got a shot of antibiotics.
>>
>>339538084
The color of the skin is irrelevant and doesn't make the game better.
>>
>>339543389
actually the only people that seem to have a problem with it are PCasuals and Xcucks
>>
File: 1445806592603.jpg (193 KB, 567x633) Image search: [Google]
1445806592603.jpg
193 KB, 567x633
>>339532663

>mfw I remember all the dindus in TLOU died horrible violent deaths
>>
>>339543976
Fair enough. I'm not saying it's exactly a cut scene but it sure as hell is merely an interactive experience.

When gordon freeman in half life 2 is strapped down waiting to be teleported you hear dialogue and all you can move is your head. Is that gameplay? If you want to say it's a mid point fine. It's still makes it close to just an interactive movie.

Split hairs if you want. You know what we're talking about here.
>>
Best multiplayer I played on the PS3. Have been considering picking it up on PS4 and seeing if it's as active.
>>
>>339543853
I know what he did. It's just awkward. Generally the only people who can pull that off is someone with a good amount of charisma and of course that can't really be conveyed through text.
>>
why do people pretend like Naughty Dog games have no multiplayer? TLOU has *the* best multiplayer I have ever played in any TPS ever. It had no business being this good; all anyone ever talks about is the single player
>>
>>339544245
I play primarily on a pc and I have absolutely no problem with the game at all. But sony ponies tend to praise it way too much.
>>
>>339544460

> Generally the only people who can pull that off is someone with a good amount of charisma

what? he obviously wasn't doing it intentionally he just doesn't know what gorgeous means. how does charisma change anything?
>>
its a very good game with a really slow start, repetitive enemies, scenarios and some wonky AI.

i also personally fucking hate it when a game has ng+, but doesnt let you keep your upgraded weapons. i was hoping to RE4 that shit, but noooo.
>>
>>339543330
Fug, really? how? I spent five minutes minutes trying to find a way to progress but I couldn't do anything until that guy was dead
>>
It was proclaimed at "The Citizen Kane of Gaming" by some asshole, which is why /v/ never took it seriously.

Also the dlc where the white teen has a lesbian relationship with some black girl, because PROGRESSIVE REASONS 10/10.
>>
>>339544515

i feel like not many people tried it to be honest. it's actually the only online multiplayer i've ever put a lot of time into, which i usually don't mention because obviously outsiders will take it as a sign that it's casual. but it's the only one i've played where teamwork was a palpable factor even in pub games and you could actually make a big difference by redirecting suppressive fire and providing distractions and stuff.
>>
>>339544754
Uh, but you DO keep all your upgrades in NG+. In fact, the only way to get the trophy for all weapon upgrades is by going thrift NG+.
>>
People hated this game because other people liked it. That's how sad the industry has become.
>>
>>339526472
You're in /v/. what did you expect
>>
I thought the gameplay was just average and the story was well acted but sucked. 6/10 for me
>>
File: image.jpg (125 KB, 990x741) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
125 KB, 990x741
>>339535682
>>Sonic
>Sonic
>bad
>>
>>339545197

you don't get to keep the weapons themselves though.
>>
>>339545197
i meant you have to recollect your weapons. the upgrades on them stay, but you cant just power through with the flamethrower from the start.
>>
>>339545284
Sounds like the movie industry.

Contrarians gonna be contrarian.
>>
Do people still play muti? That was pretty fun.
>>
>>339526472
>It does deserve all the 10/10
No, that's way too generous for TLoU. I liked it but there's a lot holding it back from a 10/10. A solid 8/10 is about what it deserves.
>>
>>339544334
TLoU has a lot of shit to find in those segments though. Uncharted 4 does the same thing.
It also helps that both games are pleasing to look at.
It does make replaying very boring at those segments though and you can't skip them like a cutscene.
>>
It's a walking simulator.
>>
File: 1463369530238.png (3 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1463369530238.png
3 MB, 1920x1080
Thoughts on the comics?
>>
>>339545515
>>339545726
Ah yes, well that would either trivialize the playthrough, or be really annoying unless they added in ammo drops for late game weapons.
>>
>>339546369
It's a buzzword post
Thread replies: 111
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.