[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Tired of games?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 10
Anyone else feel gaming just isn't the same nowadays?

The abundance of DLC and microtransactions makes me feel like I'm always buying an incomplete game if I get them anywhere near launch no matter how ''consumer friendly'' their method of implementation is, most of my favourite series are dead, it seems like with every year multiplayer games become more and more 'the' games of the year that everyone plays and that have the biggest budget but I just hate playing against other people, and in general it just feels like games have been on a decline quality wise for years now.

I just feel so tired nowadays with gaming. It's been nearly a year since a game has been able to hold my attention for more than a dozen hours at best.

Anyone else dealing with this sort of shit right now?
>>
Anyone with half a lick of common sense knows gaming is dead.

The fact that shit like The Witcher 3 is nowadays considered GOTY just because it has okay writing and isn't horribly buggy like the competition proves people don't care about quality - and the fact that children who praise it will shit talk classics like Planescape in the next breath proves the average consumer will never desire more than what they get now.

Just move on.
>>
>>339521914
>several threads a day where retards complain about not being able to enjoy games
>every single one starts with "uhhhhhh am I like the only one????"
Woah dude, you're super cool + unique for being THE ONLY ONE who can see this industry for what it REALLY is, wish I could be as cool as you
>>
These days I mostly just play roguelites and old RTS games tbqh

Cities: Skylines has been the only game besides a handful of indies that I'd give more than a 7/10 from the last four years.
>>
>>339522613
I barely come to /v/ these days either since I play so few of the games it talks about, I didn't know.

>>339522648
Any recommendations for recent roguelikes?

>>339522379
TW3 is the worst AAA RPG I've played since ME3. Dreadful combat, a terribly generic setting, and really poor visual design.

Didn't even make it past seven hours.
>>
>tfw too depressed when off meds to enjoy games
>tfw on meds I get too sleepy to do much beside work, eat, clean, and read
>>
I only play relatively old games and replay the same shit over and over again with the occasional indie game.
I've been playing Salt and Sanctuary for a week and it made me realize that there are still good games being made. Currently on my 4 character doing NG+5. I still need to do the challenge runs after this.
>>
Bunch of very narrow minds in this thread, its disappointing.
>>
>>339522901
Enter the Gungeon, The Binding of Isaac, and Nuclear Throne are good ones with a bullet hell slant.

Rogue Legacy is a roguelike crossed with a metroidvania game.

Invisible Inc. is a more traditional one with a heavy cyberpunk bent that almost feels a bit like a puzzle game at times with how you have to navigate extremely complex situations with the tools available to you.

those'd be the main recs I've got
>>
>>339521914
I was about to finish Dark Souls 3, first game I actually had fun with in a long time. Before that I'd been unable to complete a game in 7 months because I got bored of all of them. Even with the rare games I complete, once I've finished them they go to the shelf forever. I think the last time I bought DLC for a game was Halo 3. I can never get the motivation to rehype myself for the game again, yet alone spend money on what is most likely a ripoff.
>>
>xcom 2
>dark souls 3
>d44m
>deadbolt
>hyper light drifter
>superhot
>momodara 4
>overwatch
2016 has been a great year so far
>>
I feel the same way but I have a little bit of hope after DaS3. Persona 5 and FFXV might revive my love for vidya.

I feel kind of bad because I didn't like The Witcher 3, I was hoping to love it but I dropped it after meeting Keira.
>>
>>339523873
Yeah, we can only hope that No Man's Sky, P5 and Final Fantasy XV will be just as good as these games. Or even better.
>>
File: keira.jpg (35 KB, 387x626) Image search: [Google]
keira.jpg
35 KB, 387x626
>>339523886
best girl, both for looks and personality
>>
Relax nigger, it's just video games.

Fuck.

>>339524019

>looking forward to nms

Jesus fuck...
>>
>>339521914
The only games I like these days are throwbacks to older ones (Doom 4, XCOM 2, Cities: Skylines, etc.) and weird jap RPGs like Dark Souls and Dragon's Dogma.

I miss the 90s
>>
>hating modern gaming

literally how?

we're in a new golden age at the moment
>>
>>339524086
I'm not looking forward, but I hope it'll be just as good as the listed games.

It would be a shame if it turned out to be a blunder.

Yeah, I know. It'll be a blunder.
>>
I keep getting games and not enjoying them every time.
DS3, bored after 15 hours
Eldritch, bored in an hour
Final Fantasy X I binged for 10 hours yesterday and played a bit more today. Enjoying but struggling to motivate myself to play.
>>
>>339524229
by what fucking standard could modern games lead you to think we're in a golden age?
>>
>>339524086
>Relax nigger, it's just video games.
>wait, ur looking forward to videogame?!?!? WTF!??!
>>
>>339524090
>Dark Souls and Dragon's Dogma.
>weird
What
>>
>>339521914
Why the fuck are you playing games you don't even like?
Just because they're popular? Really?

Sorry anon but you deserve it. Grow some balls and find the games YOU want for yourself.
>>
File: 1461781690471.gif (806 KB, 320x180) Image search: [Google]
1461781690471.gif
806 KB, 320x180
>>339524086
>Relax nigger, it's just video games.

>Fuck.

>>looking forward to nms

>Jesus fuck...
>>
>>339524402
Actually I don't think I've finished more than one or two games in years and those have been reruns
>>
File: 7lZwLKc.jpg (85 KB, 511x606) Image search: [Google]
7lZwLKc.jpg
85 KB, 511x606
>get a job
>Do sports and gym, get fit
>Get a gf
>Barely time for vidya

Since then, everytime I play I have mindless fun and enjoy the shit out of it, you have to stop making your life revolve around videogames and do some other shit. When I talk about games with some NEET friends, I'm the only one that has fun and no complains, while they can't even enjoy any game at all
>>
File: dew it.png (336 KB, 428x395) Image search: [Google]
dew it.png
336 KB, 428x395
>>339521914
You must go out and make your own adventure Anon.
When there's nothing left to do, you make something to do.
>>
You ever notice it's always people who only play western games that make these threads?
>>
>>339524850
That's because we live in a golden era of eastern vidya
>>
>>339524850
not true i play japanese games too

they've gotten boring as well

>>339524229
>golden age

fuck off
>>
>>339524692
>lower your standards incredibly and become casual to enjoy something
great advice
>>
>>339524850
western games and eastern games are both shit but people who play eastern games have no taste so they wouldn't know
>>
>>339524692
I'm sure your friends think you're super cool
>>
>>339525173
Whatever makes you feel better
>>
>>339525173
>this is what westcucks believe
>>
>>339524957
>>339524489
I wouldn't claim we're in a golden age but tbqh we've had plenty of great games these past few years.

At the very least the 10s are on par with the 00s so far imo
>>
>>339524986
it just works
>>
>>339524692
>have job
>run every day
>always busy with work studies

I never hated video games more than I do now and haven't had fun in years.
Of course I'm here forever and don't know why.
>>
File: golden_age_i_cap6.jpg (218 KB, 1680x709) Image search: [Google]
golden_age_i_cap6.jpg
218 KB, 1680x709
>>339524986

I play with the same skill as always and the same genres, but in short burst instead of endless gaming sessions, so I don't get burnout of my hobby, also, I have done more for my backlog in this state than being a fat piece of shit.

Also I hit that pussy everyday
>>
>>339525318
>>339525346
japanese games are like bad anime with horrible gameplay tacked on
>>
>play lots of games
>get burnt out
>new gen sucks
>go back and play older games for free or at a fraction of the cost
>get burnt out
>watch anime
>get burnt out
>play more cheap vidya

The cycle goes on and on. Stop being a faggot and get to spending your time on Chinese cartoons and TV games.
>>
>>339522901
>terribly generic setting

Fuck you, it has one of the most interesting settings that I've seen in recent WRPGs, if not the best. Have you read the books, or do you at least like European folklore?
>>
>>339525542
Why would I read the books for a game I hated? Did you even think before you asked that question?

and the setting is no better than that of any generic fantasy schlock that I've read a dozen times before
>>
>>339521914
I game a few times a week out of habit. Never feels like I'm going it for any reason other than "I want to get through this"

It's probably the depression desu but games definitely aren't the same anymore
>>
File: 1462453523553.png (718 KB, 838x911) Image search: [Google]
1462453523553.png
718 KB, 838x911
>>339525467

But anon, I love my job and get paid shitloads of money. What's not to love?
>>
>>339525467
same here
>>
>>339525516
Let me guess

Only a few anime are worth watching, all of which coincidentally came on toonami
>>
>>339524957
No, you fuck off you jaded fuck. We are getting lots of good games of every kind nowadays, there is literally no such thing as short supply for anything but the most obscure of genres.

You just don't like video games anymore. Move on with life, you dinglebell.
>>
>>339525430
>we've had plenty of great games these past few years.

fucking name some then you normie piece of underage shit
>>
File: 1463721662292.png (83 KB, 625x626) Image search: [Google]
1463721662292.png
83 KB, 625x626
>>339525516
>>
>>339525723
I love anime, watched hundreds, don't know what the fuck toonami is
>>
>>339525864
Stop lying anon
>>
>>339525656
Amazing how you know that after barely playing it.
>>
>>339525864
Sure sure.
That's if you're not american of course
>>
>>339525736
>>We are getting lots of good games of every kind nowadays

Call me when the point and click adventure, puzzle, RTS, racing, or (space)flight sim genres make a resurgence.
>>
>>339525656
>Why would I read the books for a game I hated?

Because they're actually good, and pretty popular if you're European? Not everyone is American.

And no, the setting is rich. You haven't even finished the game, so I assume that you have not seen the shitload of folklore-inspired shit in the world, or even some of the contracts. Reading the backstory of some of the beasts is one of the highlights of the game IMO.
>>
>>339526009
sorry i don't fit into your molds dude

>>339526226
i'm not american
>>
>>339526341
Ok anon
>>
>>339521914
blogger dot com
>>
>>339526341
Neither I am
Then it's normal that you don't know about toonami
>>
File: goty.png (987 KB, 1184x2792) Image search: [Google]
goty.png
987 KB, 1184x2792
>>339525752
Alright, here you go. Had to add on 2015 but it was no big deal I guess.

I'd personally say that 00-05 and 10-15 are roughly equal, and since there wasn't a huge spike in quality during 06-09 and this year and next look great I'm confident in saying that I think gaming is in a good spot at the moment that at least rivals the sixth and early seventh gen.

though looking back over the older entries on this image I just realized how much I miss Advance Wars, Wipeout, and Castlevania ;_;

>>339526321
Racing and puzzle games have been in a pretty good place for a while now tbqh - though the latter is mostly on handhelds.

The death of P&C adventure games does suck though, yeah.
>>
>>339526321
>point and click adventure
dead and buried for a reason
>puzzle
there's plenty of puzzle games still being made?
RTS
>only valid answer
racing
>lol
(space)flight sim genre
>nobody cares about sci-fi anymore
>>
>>339521914
just stray from mainstream. even today there's a big abundance of games including older titles thanks to emulation, so try getting some distance from mainstream games and gaming media and /v/. maybe give some titles you heard about but never got to playing a chance, venture into genres you don't usually go for, and stop caring about people's opinions on shit.

i still enjoy gaming just fine, just find titles that get your attention and enjoy them one at a time. also, being busy on the side and not just playing all the time does wonders.
>>
>>339526657
What's your definition of "past few years" if your evidence of this golden age includes PS2 games?
>>
>>339525542
He just assumes its some AssCee clone :)
>>
>>339527026
I'm not claiming we're in a golden age, that was another anon.

I'm just saying I don't really think there's been a decline since at least 2000.
>>
>>339526657
Decent taste tbqh
>>
>>339526657
>TF2
>GOTY

i know you said it's subjective, but come on. every single game in that list is better than TF2.

also, i wouldn't put a crack in time as first for 2009. Demon's Souls, Infamous, MHFU and possibly Borderlands feel like they're more solid choices, but it's still a solid 2nd or 3rd.
>>
>>339529137
I'll admit TF2 is a biased choice because I'm willfully ignoring what it later turned into, and I played it with friends and on custom maps/modes a lot of the time so my experience with it is probably in the minority.

And I just really loved CiT, though I'll admit the top three for that year are extremely close and tbqh I wouldn't mind putting any of them over the others.
>>
>>339524692

this for me too. I barely have time but there's a shit ton of games I wanna play, both games that are out and games coming this year. I always have a lot of fun when I play.
>>
>>339521914
>I just feel so tired nowadays with gaming.
are you overweight? if so, lose some weight.
>>
>>339526657
>all this vita

Kill yourself weeb trash scum
>>
File: go outside.png (19 KB, 942x218) Image search: [Google]
go outside.png
19 KB, 942x218
>>339521914
I would bet money that all these "le tired gamer" threads are just the same 5 people who, instead of fucking off and fixing their problems, keep making the same threads hoping people will come out and say that OP is right.

stop wanting validation from an anonymous image board. video games are fine, great games are still being made, no the industry isn't crashing anytime soon. it's just you
>>
>>339526657
>bloodborne at number 2 for 2015
>The witcher 3 nowhere in sight
>vita shit way higher than it should be on all lists

found the sony-only faggot
>>
>>339529601
STOP BEING COHERENT AND REASONABLE AAAAAAA
>>
>>339532203
I didn't like TW1 and never played 2 so I haven't touched 3.

And I literally have a Nintendo exclusive as my goty so I'm not sure why you're saying I'm a sony-only kinda guy?
Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.