[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's the lore of doom? Is the "hell" the actual
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 5
File: doomcover.jpg (297 KB, 1000x1372) Image search: [Google]
doomcover.jpg
297 KB, 1000x1372
What's the lore of doom? Is the "hell" the actual hell, ie the one from christianity? or is it just another dimension, or maybe just a wormhole to a far away planet?

Are the demons actual demons or aliens?
>>
"Hell" is the Christian version of hell but its another dimension.
>>
Why is there any reason to assume it's not the Christian hell? The demons and environs certainly all look the part, even if they're not biblically accurate.
>>
I understood it to be what our collective understanding of "Hell" is, as it was based on encounters with this alternate dimension. So the actual Hell exists but it isn't a religious thing. The demons are what we understand to be "demons" but are also interdimensional beings.
>>
>>339448343
It's hell. The prison of canned souls. Lake of fire, sulfur, lots of guys with horns, all that jazz.
>>
>tfw all Doomguy wanted was to avenge his pet bunny
;_;
>>
Doom used to be about real hell until the nu-male cuckolds who now compose ID and their marketers decided it would be more palatable for the new X and Y generation of do-nothing dickless worthless carbon based oxygen sucking lifeforms to make it about generic demons and hell being an alternate dimension instead of it being about shitting on traditional christian hell cause tumbler and fuck you.
>>
Is something wrong with ops name or is it just me
>>
>>339449627 (You)
(You)
>>
>>339449627
It's still hell you sperg
it's even more badass now actually, it went from Doomguy destroying Hell to
Doomguy killed all of Hell then found Hell in other dimensions to kill it too
>>
File: 1368563653043.jpg (109 KB, 950x653) Image search: [Google]
1368563653043.jpg
109 KB, 950x653
>>339450015
>>
>>339448343
The lore is it's loosely based off the D&D campaign Carmack created that they started when they met at Softdisk and started id.
>>
>>339450237
You're thinking of Quake m8
>>
>>339450015

Cool nice story and how the end boss is a le epic multistage battle with >le epic spider boss I used to watch my 40 year old uncle shoot on his ancient windows XP cumputar

underage detected.
>>
>>339450307
How exactly is throwing a shit fit over it not being actual hell not crying like a kid?
>>
>>339450307
Damn son, if you're baiting you got me good. If you're serious, go take your fucking brain medicine.
>>
>>339450307
You went from complaining about how it isn't hell, and then being told it is hell, to now complaining about the final boss? Are you alright?
>>
If I was a D&D GM, I'd totally give my players a rocket launcher to wreak havoc with.
>>
>>339450307

>It's so old you must be underage!1

Kek
>>
>>339450297
They both are, it's in Masters of Doom.
>>
>>339450307
>doom
>windows xp
this triggered me the most
>>
File: DoomguySprite.png (4 KB, 328x448) Image search: [Google]
DoomguySprite.png
4 KB, 328x448
>>339448343
It's the legitimate Hell in the games, but it's aliens impersonating Hellish imagery in the shockingly above-average four Doom novels by Dafydd ab Hugh and Brad Linaweaver
>>
>>339450307

>Doom
>Windows xp

No john, you are the underage.
>>
>>339448343
>the one from christianity? or is it just another dimension
both
>>
File: image.jpg (106 KB, 1024x520) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
106 KB, 1024x520
>>339448343
>Literal satan-hell
>>
>>339450736
Yeah because you can't play Doom on Windows XP
>>
>>339451116
You can't. They were incompatible.
>>
>>339450857
You're both faggots. There's only one question that matters...

>which ones the bigger faggot?
>>
>>339451096
Overdesigned
>>
Is Daisy still canon?
>>
>>339450505

Im told its hell by some underage cheeto-dicked weeb because they wikipedia'd DOOM and ctrl-F'd Story. In reality I know it's another generic sci-fi horror trope that took a hostile take over by Bethesda to secure the rights to. The setting is shit and has no testicles to speak of.

Since you were born in a time when men are intellectually castrated let me break down why Doom was good...Doom is a fast-paced shooter where you could live out your sadistic fantasies of point-blanking human-looking 'demons' with a double-barreled shotgun, while simultaneously triggering the adults in the room parental spidey sense. It was a game made for a time where it was marketable to be the edgiest fuck you could be, chain wallets and all. To make it into a generic demon-themed FPS is the real sin. Bring back shooting real people and using real guns, not your sci-fi glowing sphere bullshit every fucking enemy uses.
>>
My favorite doom is doom64 on snes. I played it on my mac. I pirate-shipped it so i could play the best game on wii
>>
>>339451257
Yes.
>>
File: doom95.jpg (91 KB, 642x378) Image search: [Google]
doom95.jpg
91 KB, 642x378
>>339450736
Does this trigger you too?
>>
>>339450736

Shows how fuckin dumb you are for not seeing I was implying the uncle was emulating it, or downloading a .WAD pack or any other fucking method of playing one of the most popular games of all time on a computer post MS-DOS you stupid twat.
>>
Is it the same Doomguy in Doom 4 as in the original Doom?
>>
>>339451267
Damn faggot. You are getting furious. I think you may need to take a deep breath. And realize that this is the internet. Noone cares what you think here. Calm yourself or kill yourself. prefferably both
>>
>>339451342
Good
>>
>>339451443
Yes.
>>
>>339451267
There's like two human enemies in the games and they're both trash

>To make it into a generic demon-themed FPS is the real sin

Yeah because there are so many demon-themed FPS games and no FPS where you shoot people
>>
>>339451267
>Doom is a fast-paced shooter where you could live out your sadistic fantasies of point-blanking human-looking 'demons' with a double-barreled shotgun

The supershotgun wasn't even introduced until Doom II, and Doom 1 is infinitely slower than Doom II.

>Bring back shooting real people and using real guns

The game Hatred exists for this very purpose. Go play that.

>The setting is shit and has no testicles to speak of.

That's because we've had over a decade of violent video games since. There's nothing inherently testicular about the original Doom's hell. It was new and fresh, that's all.
>>
>>339451498
However i do conpletely agree with what you said. Doom was a masterpiece. You're a faggot, but you're a cool faggot, like Freddy mercury
>>
What happened to id software after doom3?

The game was massively successful and then they made nothing for almost a decade
>>
>>339451918
Most of the team left, Rage, and the nightmarish development cycle of Doom 4.

Doom 4 is shockingly good though, so maybe they'll make a comeback.
>>
>>339451918
The dev cycles keep getting longer and they didn't hire more people. Not like they had many ideas either since the original creative forces were gone and Carmack was basically just tinkering with his engines
>>
>>339451253
That interface is an homage to Doom 3.
Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.