[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So what was the general consesus on /v/ about The Witcher 3?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 5
File: header.jpg (84 KB, 460x215) Image search: [Google]
header.jpg
84 KB, 460x215
So what was the general consesus on /v/ about The Witcher 3? Is it worth a buy?
>>
>>339446671
You're a year late, pal.
>>
>>339446671
/v/ fucking hates it.
>>
>>339446881
/v/ here, and no I don't.
>>
>>339446671
Alot of people on /v/ seem to despise it, but it didn't lead in 2015 GOTY awards for nothing. Great story and gameplay.
>>
>>339446671
Or be a big boy and decide for yourself
>>
>>339446671
I got bored within an hour, but I can certainly see why other people enjoy it, and why it got a lot of praise. I would advise proceeding with caution.
>>
>>339446671
It's worth a buy, I own all the DLC. It wasn't my favorite game of 2015 but it's a pretty good open world RPG and has some really nice visuals and a cool world.
>>
>>339446837
I know. I didn't pay attention to anything about the game at its release. Now I'm interested.

The "professional reviews" are obviously rave about it, but I don't trust them.
>>
>>339446956
You know as well as I do that anytime the Witcher series gets brought up, there is a fucking onslaught of "Shit combat, shit series, awful awful awful."
>>
File: 2.jpg (48 KB, 585x399) Image search: [Google]
2.jpg
48 KB, 585x399
>>339447009

>GoTY awards

Dragon Age Inqusition, Skyrim, TLoU all won bucket loads of GoTYs. When did that ever mean anything.

>>339446671

Pirate it and see for yourself faggot
>>
I didn't play the previous two games, but seeing all the hype for 3 I just went ahead and got it on sale. I thought it was a fantastic game even with the little problems it has. I'm sure you can get it really cheap or you can wait for the inevitable GOTY version.
>>
>>339447128
/v/ has mixed opinions about it just as they do about any popular game. Only way to find out if you like it is to play it yourself.
>>
>>339446881
/v/ loves it.
neo-/v/, tumblrls, SJW and all other scum - hates.
>>
>>339447032
I'm trying to decide whether or not i want to spend money on it, and i want to hear various opinions on what people felt about the game. Where did you get the idea that I'm just going to change my view to match /v/?
>>
>>339447457
Woops, meant to reply to >>339447012
>>
>>339447434
>neo /v/ are all the opinions i disagree with
>>
Gameplay sucks. Once I realized I could be playing Bloodborne or Dark Souls 3 instead I just blasted through it to finish the story. Before someone says I just beat it to justify my purchase, my friend loaned me the game. Story is fun and tugged my heartstrings sometimes, particularly the ending I got.
>>
2 questions
>was it fun?
>did it have varied good questlines?
>>
>>339448056
yes
questlines are its strongest point imo
>>
>>339447976
>opinions
Gross. Sounds like I'll pass and try D:OS instead
>>
>>339446671
everyone on /b/ hates witcher 3 since it did not support diversity leaving out any chance of promoting and teaching about african culture because the game developers are all racists who hate black people.
>>
Really enjoyed it. The combat is just okay, not abysmal like some on /v/ claim, but the game's story, world building, and the way quests are laid out, varied, and connected were all fantastic. I'd say it's worth a buy.
>>
>>339448056
quests are great in terms of the story attached to them

the actual gameplay formula of the quests is generally kinda shitty but you'll probably still have a good time if you like narrative driven games
>>
>>339446671

If you like exploration, power fantasy dialog that make you feel like a man, nudity, and can tolerate bad combat, then definitely worth a buy.

If you're expecting an action adventure game with cool boss fights and weighty, visceral action, then definitely dont.
>>
>>339448312
>/b/ is PC

Is this really true
>>
File: 307407.jpg (78 KB, 1000x563) Image search: [Google]
307407.jpg
78 KB, 1000x563
>>339447128
>>339447291

I would say /v/ is on the whole "very positive" about it.

All I can say from my own experience is reading all the books while playing the fist two games, then going into the third was one of the best experiences with fiction I've had. It's worth it to take your time and consume everything the series has to offer.
>>
>>339447130
This applies to literally every slightly popular game on /v/
>>
>>339448716

Are you denying Witcher has bad combat?
>>
>>339448550
this sums it up pretty well

how to: perfect game
>take witcher 3
>improve the UI, especially loading times
>apply dragon's dogma combat
>>
In what way exactly is the combat bad?
I just bought it for 50% off, since pretty much the only thing I've played for years has been JRPGs and shmups, and I wanted something different.
>>
>>339448868
I said that every popular game on /v/ is called shit. That said Morrowind has bad combat, Deus Ex has bad combat, Witcher combat is serviceable, as it doesn't get in the way, but does not require much skill from the player (in my opinion it never was meant to).
>>
>>339449207
>In what way exactly is the combat bad?
it's a meme spread by Dragon's Dogma raging fanboys
>>
>>339449207
It's very floaty and not at all challenging in terms of the enemy attack patterns.
>>
>>339449207
It doesn't have 50 combos with 100 combinations to remember. You have 2 attacks + specials from skills that you can activate. There is an occasional situation when hitboxes might be bullshit (all the webms), but that problem is very exaggerated.
>>
>>339449207
Unresponsive controls, wildly inaccurate hitboxes, majority of alchemy items are useless except oils which might as well be auto-applied, enemies just become damage sponges as the game progresses, the few story bosses gimmicks are *teleports behind you*.
>>
>>339449503
how so? groups of bandits keeping you occupied while archers shoot at you are pretty fun, so are achnomorphs staying away from you to spit webs at you and run at you when your back is turned

giant frog and le multiple red sword men of worse nightmare were pretty good fights too, as well as the wild cunts
>>
Just finished the main game and HoS right before, waiting until tomorrow to start Blood and Wine. Hardest difficulty first time around made things great. Combat was quite enjoyable, some parts can be frustrating with stun-locks but for the most part it works very well, personally found it to be above what I expected. Exploration. The details in everything, the environments, the music, the culture. Mixture of slavic folklore and other mythologies, you also get some generic crap like from the books but fits right in with what I personally am fine with. Would rather have less of the currraaazy Goku magic crap and keep it low fantasy but it is what it is. Honestly, having finished it about 10 minutes ago, highly recommend. One of my favorite games of recent years.
>>
>>339446671
It's definitely a game that you don't want to miss. The combat is okay if you're playing on the hardest difficulty. Most of the complaints are that its not in depth like souls
TRIGGER WARNING: It's okay that it's not like souls because souls is boring. And this game has an actual story in it.
>>
>>339449737
>majority of alchemy items are useless except oils
lel

>enemies just become damage sponges
you know, maybe your fights wouldn't last forever if you actually used those "useless" alchemy items
>>
>>339446671
its worth the 25 bucks its on sale for easy
>>
>>339449854
Please explain.
>>
>>339449757

I think combat has three aspects to it.

One is the options available to you, two is the options available to the enemies and lastly is the actual feel of the combat, the sound, animation,and all that jazz.

I dont think Witcher is that bad in the first, but it's very average in the second and down right atrocious in the last category.
>>
>>339449815
Have to agree with the books thing, they are pretty weak and god damn their presentation looks like shit.
Give me something that looks like a book instead of a black square with text.
>>
>>339446671
It doesn't have DRM, just pirate it and if you like it, buy it.
>>
>>339449938
attack / sign intensity boosting, armor shredding, use of specific monster weaknesses, straight up damage bombs
alchemy has pretty of way to increase your damage
>>
Its a good game but suffers from typical open world flaws. There's just too much filler shit for the sake of it. The main quests and most of the major sidequests are great though.
>>
>>339447156
True
>>
>>339450102
Most times I couldn't cast other signs because u needed quen to deal with hitboxes and controls. I used a mostly physical build so my damage was always boosted. However I didn't use bombs often, but the one time I tried against a red skull spider it didn't matter even though it said it was weak to it so I stopped.
>>
>buying single player games
>>
>>339450320
>went for a dumb left click build
>game is boring u guize
ok
>>
Are there any body hair mods for the waifus?
>>
>>339450457
>the game is only fun if you use a sign build
ok
>>
Hesus, read some internet reviews. Don't ask /v/ about it.

If x is good - > /v/ shits on it for being mainstream.
If x is bad - > /v/ shits on it for being bad as expected.

'Buy' demo, play a bit and decide. Read a review. Watch some youtube vids. But for gods sake don't ask assholes here for that.
>>
>>339446671
It handles open world horribly.It works against most of the games mechanics. Gameplay is as deep as an average MMOs because the devs haven't realized that they are making a singleplayer game game on time. Side quests are actually pretty good except that completing them overlevels you for the main story, again going back to poor relation between "open world" and other game elements. Overall its fine if you wanted something like a high production value fan fiction after reading through the books, just don't expect much out of gameplay and it'll be good for one playthrough.
>>
Can you play as a ranged character with a crossbow?
>>
File: 1372197364028.jpg (29 KB, 704x396) Image search: [Google]
1372197364028.jpg
29 KB, 704x396
>>339446671
Tried to find a repack torrent with the latest version and all the DLC already in it, ended up not finding even a proper torrent for the game itself, not to mention most of the patches and since they have to be installed one by one it doesn't really help just finding like two old ones.
Kickass and piratebay all the same shit, help.
I want to play the game and I'd buy it on steam but fucking hell then I'd have to buy all the DLC as well making it like three times as expensive.
>>
>>339450638
sign or alchemy yes
going pure red is very basic
>>
>>339450794
no, the crossbow is dogshit and barely does any damage at all even with full crossbow perks and crafted ammo. It is really only useful as an interrupt or to knock down flying enemies.
>>
>>339450930
Then maybe they should've made it so those swords strapped on your back aren't just for show. I'm not that familiar with the alchemy tree but I didn't want to be in a situation where I run out of bombs and the enemies weren't dead, though later in the game I realized how abundant alcohol is.
>>
File: IMG_20160529_214609477.jpg (3 MB, 4160x2340) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160529_214609477.jpg
3 MB, 4160x2340
>>339446671
I'm posting the same thing as yesterday. It's worth for $10, maybe $15. There's not much room for imagination, and overall it's gonna feel like a book, but a book it takes 200h to finish. If you are bored, go for it.
>>
>>339450980
Welp. I really like ranged characters but they're always so shit in these games.
>>
>>339450903
Witcher 3 + Expansion Pass is 38$ at GoG.com right now
>>
>>339451276
Honestly people say this shit all the time but it isn't like alchemy really plays any different or anything. None of the 'builds' do. You are always a bomb lobbing battle mage no matter what perks you pick. The combat is what it is, for better or worse.
>>
>>339451276
>Then maybe they should've made it so those swords strapped on your back aren't just for show
you still hit shit with a sign or alch build

>>339451478
>You are always a bomb lobbing battle mage
the guy you are talking to said he uses no bombs nor signs, it sure would play differently
>>
>>339451384
>200 hour long game
>"it's worth maybe $10"
retard
>>
>>339451739
>200h
>empty, boring and repetitive
My statement stays
>>
>>339451881
>Everyone complains that it's filled with AC tier bandit camps / monster nests bullshit.
>Empty

Boring and repetitive? Yes, if you're a completionist, but definitely not empty.
You can also turn off "?" markers and just enjoy the game while finding things naturally.
>>
>>339446671
it looks amazing and the characters are great but the combat is just bad in my opinion
>>
Read at least the first two books and play the first two games. You're not gonna get nearly as much out of it if you go in blind. Anything worth doing is worth doing the right way.
>that's a lot of work for an rpg I'm not sure I want to play
Do you enjoy narrative focused rpgs? If you do I'm willing to bet you'll enjoy the series. If you're looking for great combat, you'll probably be disappointed.
>>
>>339446671
I like the characters the story and everything but it ultimately stopped being fun and I never finished it.
Traveling and controlling Geralt is just awful. There was no need for it to be "open world" beyond it looking like cdprojectred had created a masterpiece, which its not. The world is huge but also empty and it all just blurs together. It becomes a chore to walk through novigrad, let alone having to ride roach or a boat for 10 minutes of just holding 'A' to get to a quest area.
Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.