[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
what makes a game good for speedrunning?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 2
File: maxresdefault[1].jpg (134 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault[1].jpg
134 KB, 1280x720
what makes a game good for speedrunning?
>>
Trick question speedrunning is dumb as fuck.
>>
It's fun
>>
>>339443738
Seconded.

I can't respect speedrunning because everytime I try to watch one it involves glitches. Glitches shouldn't count.
>>
>>339443879
a lot of speedrunners do runs without glitches, it's its own category
>>
Lots of RNG and unskippable cutscenes.
>>
>>339443678
Glitches and ridiculous out of bounds.
>>
entire game should be an auto-scroller
>>
>>339445805
>game always finish on the exact same time
>everyone share the world record
>>
>>339446350
>everyone feels important and special for having the WR and can go on to contribute to society
Pretty good
>>
I don't like watching live speedrunning, I just like seeing crazy TAS runs.
>>
Platforming
>>
>>339446476
>contribute to society
These speedrunners used to contribute more to society than the average wage slave due to the Charities they supported. The main charities now are scams so they don't contribute anything anymore.
>>
>>339443678
It stars a mascot.

It was a rental in it's day.
>>
>>339446908

The only thing they contribute to society is staying in their sweaty hotel lobby rooms so the rest of society doesn't have to be reminded that we let invalids procreate.
>>
>>339446908
>contribute more to society than the average wage slave due to the Charities they supported.

Speedrunners don't hold down jobs. There donations come from viewers, not out of their own pocket.

w-wage Slaves contribute to social services AND directly donate to charity as a write-off.

nice stretch doe
>>
File: 1464666605986.gif (616 KB, 300x281) Image search: [Google]
1464666605986.gif
616 KB, 300x281
>>
>>339443678
Autistic fanbase.
>>
>>339446495
What could be done is a lot more interesting than what can be done.
>>
>>339447439
Ok, anon.
All those millions to Saint Jude and other important organization mean nothing.

>>339447498
Without their speedrunning they wouldn't donate. Don't get me wrong, it's autism, but they do more than the average 9-5 pointless slave. Or used to at least.
>>
>>339444965
There's a limit though. When you get to HL2DQ's style of just using a tin can to float out of bounds in 90% of the levels, it just gets boring.
>>
>>339446495
I watched this co-op tas the other day, Pokemon Red/Blue side by side to fill the dex. The catch was they did it glitchless. It took four hours and my eyes were somehow glued to the screen.
>>
>>339446495
Pretty much. I like watching a 20-minute run that is the product of hundreds of hours of work, but I would be bored to tears trying to watch those hundreds of hours.
I have no idea how speedrun streaming is a thing.
>>
Any programmers here? What would be a way to punish people for speed running?

I was thinking maybe the final boss gets more health depending on how fast you reached him. If you didn't speedrun, the boss is just normal.
>>
>>339448043
Maybe add randomization so they can't just know where everything is? (like keys or something like that)
>>
Game mechanics that support fast movement
Tightly timed tricks
A healthy amount of glitches. This one really depends on the type and amount of gitches. If you can take advantage of out of boundsing and screen wrapping to just put yourself at the end of every level, that is obviously not fun or interesting. Clever use of out of bounds can be entertaining though, like in F Zero GX. That run is fucking sick.
>>
>>339448043
>make the boss a health sponge
What a lazy ass way to "punish" people.
And why would you punish people for finish the game fast? Sounds extremely autistic.
>>
>>339448043
>player is bad at game
>has an easier time with the boss than someone who's good at the game
>>
>>339443879
you are more autistic than speedrunners, which is impressive.

>>339443678
i think the best indicator is that the time can be reduced significantly from a casual playthrough. for example, Gauntlet: Dark Legacy has a lot of cool skips, but for the most part you still got to go through every level in order to beat the game, so minimum it'd take is about 4 hours, and it wouldn't really look all that impressive.
>>
>>339448172
I'd just want to get back at these smug AGDQ fucks. I don't want normal players to be punished.

>>339448151
I hate speed runners.
>>
>>339448043
>What would be a way to punish people for speed running?
Why?
Just don't make glitching walls.
And what about replaying or achievement hunting or harder difficulties and all other cases when i already know what to do and don't give a fuck about plot?
>>
>>339448043
>Punish people for learning how to go fast and take advantage of your shit programming.
Nah. Fuck off. If there are glitches and bounds that can be taken advantage of, that's your own fault for being a shit programmer.
>>
>>339448240
Then come up with something better then you suggested.
>>
>>339448240
>I hate speed runners.
So you want make a game just to pissed them off?
You game will be shit and even speedrunners will not play it.
>>
>>339448240
You are as bad as Mashedpotato Samurai.
"PEOPLE ARE PLAYING THE GAME A WAY I DON'T LIKE! REEEEEEE!"

people like you shouldn't be allowed to develop games.
>>
>>339448043
You shouldn't punish the player for trying to have fun.

The right way to "punish" speed runners is to fix exploits.
>>
>>339448240
Well, too bad.
Make your shitty game 100% RNG. But don't use pseudo-random shit because they can manipulate that.
Or just make a boring ass visual novel.
>>
>>339448225
>Gauntlet: Dark Legacy has a lot of cool skips
>And now we glitch through wall
Yeah, very cool.
>>
>>339448240
>I'd just want to get back at these smug AGDQ fucks.
Man, you're one pathetic little fuck.
You're never going to make an actual videogame in your entire life, so why do you care about what some autists do with the game you will never make?
>>
>>339448043
Make the final room door locked set to open on a global cooldown for story reasons. One which any normal player wouldn't have much of an issue withm Maybe forcing them to do one or two sidequests while they wait. But which completely buttfucks speedsters.
>>
>>339443678
I miss the fumos
>>
>>339448240
>I'd just want to get back at these smug AGDQ fucks. I don't want normal players to be punished.
You realize that speed runners just won't play it, right? And by going out of the way to "punish" them you will just end up doing some shit that makes your game boring and uninteresting for everybody. Jesus christ you are fucking autistic.
>>
>>339448543
Lol, in this hypothetical situation there would just be a guaranteed time they couldn't beat. They would still need to edge people out on splits for a WR, seeing as thats the whole point.
>>
>>339447563
Thanks doc
>>
>guy in the back wearing a fedora
>>
1. lots of movement-based tech. the more options a game offer you to get across any given path, the better it is for speedrunning
2. lack of extensive forced segments. so no unskippable cutscenes, autoscrollers, waiting on stuff to happen, etc.
3. lots of room for optimisation. what good is going fact is going slow is hardly slower?
>>
>>339448543
>reach door
>pause timer on impact
>wait
>>
have a "credits" option in the title screen so instead of glitching their way to the credits they can just select it
>>
>>339448368
>even speedrunners will not play it.
I'm pretty sure that's exactly what he wants.
>>
>>339449262
So he's making a game purposely devoid of any interesting and fun mechanics to punish nobody. You realize the most fun mechanics are always the most exploitable, right? Sounds to me like he just wants to intentionally make a bad game that nobody will like.
>>
>>339448676
I miss the fun.

NO TALKING
NO DISTRACTING
NO BACK AND FORTH
PROFESSIONAL COMMENTARY ONLY
>>
>>339449729
I miss when the runners were actually allowed to show cool shit and weren't forced to stick to safe strats.
>>
>>339448676
>They were distracting the runners
What a load of bullshit, they're inanimate objects which are behind the runner. I could understand if they made noise but they don't.
>>
>>339449729
>>339449920
As much of a shit show as NASA was in the beginning, it was way moe fun than any of the recent GDQs. It was a very chill atmosphere and the runners were allowed to showcase whatever they wanted. It was very reminiscent of GDQs of old. The JSRF especially was a very fun run and chat.
>>
>>339449920
Showing stuff off? For free?!

Get the fuck out of my speedrun event. Donation incentivize that trick or you're back to streaming for 10 people. We got money to make here, scumfuck.
>>
>>339449920
Runners were always doing safe strats in a marathon unless they were on WR pace.
>>
>>339450592
Nah in the old GDQ days runners would often go for unsafe tricks if they were really cool. It was only recently that staff told runners they had to stick to safe strats and doing unsafe tricks that potentially waste time can get them barred from future events. Calebhart actually talked about this a couple times.
>>
I'm actually thinking about speed running the HD remaster of Turok on PC. But if I'm the only one doing it will SDA actually accept it?
>>
>>339448543
They can just stop counting upon reaching the door. Not that the game will ever be good enough for anyone to like it enough to speedrun it though.
Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.