[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why are we stuck in the same style of game when it comes to MMOs?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 83
Thread images: 8
File: 1455385911801.png (2 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1455385911801.png
2 MB, 1920x1080
Why are we stuck in the same style of game when it comes to MMOs?

>Create character
>Pick class
>Quest until max level
>End game is dungeon running and raids

Everyone's been dying for a Pokemon MMO. Why doesn't someone make it? You don't need the pokemon license, just make your own monsters and methods of capture/battle.

Someone could probably pull off an Elder Scrolls style MMO.

>First person only
>Limited different armors with two or three "Best" Armors in both light/heavy categories.
>Main goal of the game is to just roam around and delve into ruins/caves.
>Level your ability to use different weapons, armors, and non-combat skills simply by using them.
>No real end-game, just making copies of whatever you feel is the best armor/gear and giving it different enchantments while continuing to roam around and explore the world collecting things to put in your house.

MMOs have huge potential. We have the tech to pull off a shit load more than we've trying to pull off now.

Planetside 2 is the only MMO I know of that has actually tried something new with the genre, but the gunplay is shit.
>>
What is the appeal of the Pokemon MMO anyway? Don't people who say "we need a Pokemon mmo" mean "we want a game nothing like Pokemon but using the characters"?
>>
Skyrim is a bad RPG, and would be even worse as an MMO template.
>>
Kyon-kun denwa
>>
>>339440464
Nah. People just want a free-roam world where you catch pokemon, level them, and have PvP battles.

If someone could pull off making a world detailed enough, you would be a millionaire with just the above game without the pokemon name attached to it.
>>
>>339440675
Why does she sit like that?
>>
>>339440248

Wakfu, Runescape, and EVE are the only MMOs that are vaguely like this today.

Runescape has problems out the ass since they added microtransactions, Wakfu is only vaguely what you're looking for, and most people don't want to put in the effort of EVE or don't like sci-fi.

You should try out Project Gorgon though. It's in alpha but free and playable. Game isn't about gear chase at all, but exploring. You know NPCs have quests until you chat with them. You don't even know what skills are in the game until you learn them from exploration or teachers.
>>
Themepark MMOs are what sell.

WoW and FFXIV make millions of dollars in sub revenue alone.
>>
>>339440712
You can catch, level and battle people in every game ever. If people want an entire MMO so they can dick around and see other people, they haven't thought anything ahead of "WOW THIS WOULD BE COOL". The only thing I can't contest is free roam but then what? Pokemon are just arbitrarily gated behind areas until you level up or google where to go?
>>
>>339440712

Already a game like that in development by Nexon. I can't remember the name of it but it had the ability to create shit similar to Everquest Landmark. It's Korea only and likely to be grind-fest shit. No idea whatever happened to it. It was popular like 2-3 years ago and then just dropped off.
>>
Someone post best girl
>>
>>339440748
Maybe her butt hurts?
>>
>>339441327
She's already on the OP, are you blind?
>>
>>339441023
No. What I'm saying is people would play the shit out of a game where it was just a big world to explore and catch different kinds of monsters in.

Gate nothing.

Want to go into the ocean and catch some cool water types? Have a monster that you can surf on and go out in the wild waters.

Want to catch some really good fire types? Find a way into the volcanic areas.
>>
What is the appeal of the Pokemon MMO anyway? Don't people who say "we need a Pokemon mmo" mean "we want a game nothing like Pokemon but using the characters"?
>>
>>339441459
From what?
>>
Themepark MMOs are what sell.

WoW and FFXIV make millions of dollars in sub revenue alone.
>>
File: uxc6hHS.gif (126 KB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
uxc6hHS.gif
126 KB, 500x281
>>339441327
>>
>>339441534
Nah. People just want a free-roam world where you catch pokemon, level them, and have PvP battles.

If someone could pull off making a world detailed enough, you would be a millionaire with just the above game without the pokemon name attached to it.
>>
>>339441804
Already a game like that in development by Nexon. I can't remember the name of it but it had the ability to create shit similar to Everquest Landmark. It's Korea only and likely to be grind-fest shit. No idea whatever happened to it. It was popular like 2-3 years ago and then just dropped off
>>
Kyon-kun denwa
>>
>>339441534
>>339441598
Don't try to force endless eight you faglords
>>
>>339440464
>>339440712
>>339441281
>>339441534
>>339441804
>>339441836

What the fuck is going on?
>>
>>339441497
Exploring a big mmo world never takes all that much time, endgame grind is the most important thing to keep people around. And after a while people won't care about any pokemon besides the good ones
>>
>>339441927
>>
File: 1464328112137.jpg (72 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1464328112137.jpg
72 KB, 1280x720
>>339440248
Because unconventional MMOs are a huge investment with a massive risk

Sticking to WoW clones is much more comforting to investors, you might even be able to cover server costs for a few years
>>
Someone post best girl
>>
>>339441961
You're telling me you don't want a game that let's you go full-throttle hardcore when you first start out, but then once you have seen everything you can either continue to casually play or get hard-core into the competitive scene?
>>
Because we dont have the data transfer speeds for a good game. And the budget that mmos call for are so big that its hard for a company to take a risk and stray from the current normal

Even if it still doesnt fucking sell. Holy shit what is wrong with people?
>>
>>339442048
She's already in the OP, are you blind?
>>
But a Pokémon MMO already exists. It even has all the regions.

And there are plenty of MMOs where the focus is not leveling/raids
>>
>>339440248
>You don't need the pokemon license, just make your own monsters and methods of capture/battle.
WoW actually has this now and it's alot of fun.
>>
>>339440248
With all of what you put in your op I can only assume you are asking this question due to pure ignorance and having no real clue about the mmorpg market... so answering all of that would require someone to do a lot of educating. Unfortunately, I don't volunteer as tribute.
>>
Skyrim is a bad RPG, and would be even worse as an MMO template.
>>
>>339442140
I'm saying that the see everything part will be very insubstantial and most of the game will be the usual mmo shit
>>
I'm annoyed no one replied Wayne Knight to my image back there.
>>
>>339442223
You're saying that the MMORPG genre should always stay the same and never evolve?
>>
>>339442398
I thought I told you I don't volunteer as tribute? And how the actual fuck do you get what you said from my comment??
>>
>>
>>339442513
>>339440949
Don't try to force endless eight you faglords
>>
Is it just me or is there something wrong with 4chan?
I swear I keep seeing repeating posts
>>
IT'S ALL IN YOUR HEAD, ANON. BUT YOU NEED TO WAKE UP
>>
HELP
>>
Is it just me or is there something wrong with 4chan?
I swear I keep seeing repeating posts
>>
>N. YUKI

Ready?
>>
Kyon-kun denwa
>>
Make it stop please, I'm getting flashbacks.

Seriously though when will we get an MMO that isn't shit?
>>
>>339442894
>>
File: 1428503008083.png (63 KB, 358x270) Image search: [Google]
1428503008083.png
63 KB, 358x270
>>
>>339441968
Maybe her butt hurts?
>>
>>339440248
>Everyone's been dying for a Pokemon MMO. Why doesn't someone make it? You don't need the pokemon license, just make your own monsters and methods of capture/battle.
Because the only reason people want a Pokemon MMO is the IP. Competitive pokemon is full on autism and adding multiplayer to the campaign adds jackshit to the game.

>Main goal of the game is to just roam around and delve into ruins/caves.
People will get bored of it in no time flat

>MMOs have huge potential. We have the tech to pull off a shit load more than we've trying to pull off now.
Here's the thing: you can't ever stray from the formula, otherwise you'll make no money whatsoever.
>>
>>
>>339443032
Maybe her butt hurts?
>>
File: From what.jpg (16 KB, 310x310) Image search: [Google]
From what.jpg
16 KB, 310x310
>>339443204
From what?
>>
>>339443142
Adding to this, MMOs are retarded expensive to develop AND maintain. Why trying something new that will most probably crash and burn? No reason to lose millions when rehashing the same shit works.
>>
>>
>>339442996
When you lower your expectations indefinitely
>>
>>339442513
>Nah. People just want a free-roam world where you catch pokemon, level them, and have PvP battles.
>If someone could pull off making a world detailed enough, you would be a millionaire with just the above game without the pokemon name attached to it.
>>
File: adQO9Xa.jpg (5 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
adQO9Xa.jpg
5 KB, 250x250
>>339443434
>>
I'm annoyed no one replied Wayne Knight to my image back there.
>>
What's the best 2D F2P MMO? Dofus, Wakfu, etc. Preferably an isometric Japanese one.
>>
But a Pokémon MMO already exists. It even has all the regions.

And there are plenty of MMOs where the focus is not leveling/raids
>>
>>339444186
>And there are plenty of MMOs where the focus is not leveling/raids

Could you name them? I'm unaware of most of them. I know PS2 and Warframe, but that's it.
>>
>>339440248
With all of what you put in your op I can only assume you are asking this question due to pure ignorance and having no real clue about the mmorpg market... so answering all of that would require someone to do a lot of educating. Unfortunately, I don't volunteer as tribute.
>>
>>339440248
WoW did this as a minigame, it was a nice addition to the game but didnt feel like it contributed anything.
>>
>>339443972
>Dofus
>f2p
Pick one
>>
What's the best 2D F2P MMO? Dofus, Wakfu, etc. Preferably an isometric Japanese one.
>>
>>339444663
Fuck off Haruhi
>>
>>
HELP
>>
>>
>>
This thread is so full of shitposts that I no longer have diarrhea from my Metformin.
>>
>>
Kyon-kun denwa
>>
The thing I don't understand is, why can't people just make a normal game that can have thousands of players on a single server? Why is it expected that an MMO is going to be clicking and grinding and that's it?
>>
havent anyone tried pokemmo??
>>
>>339450037
Concurrency I guess. Too much shit for the server to handle, the more calculations that are required on the server, the more expensive it gets to sustain a high amount of users.

Just guessing though. Not sure how something like Planetside 2 works.
>>
File: FB_IMG_1441501835760.jpg (32 KB, 480x432) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1441501835760.jpg
32 KB, 480x432
>>339440895
OSRS alleviates this somewhat, but it still isn't perfect. Best mmo out there with now, though
>>
>>339450037
Because the number of information you need to relay increase exponentially the more player there are nearby. Games like Planetside 2 has queue to limit playernumber.

Point and click game has low server load and grinding are staple for eastern mmo where hardwork are more valued than skill.
>>
>>339440248
City of Heroes endgame, for a while anyway, was making a new character

I miss City of Heroes
>>
>>339449741
>>
Thread replies: 83
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.