[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What went wrong?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 5
File: Kingdoms_of_Amalur_Reckoning.png (325 KB, 300x449) Image search: [Google]
Kingdoms_of_Amalur_Reckoning.png
325 KB, 300x449
What went wrong?
>>
>>339438997
It became a single-player MMORPG.
>>
>>339438997
not enough marketing probably. The game was good as far as I can remember
>>
>>339438997

Too much ambition, and it had competent use of elements from many other popular franchises, but didn't particularly excel in any single one.

For an entirely new setting, it felt like generic fantasy from the outset, and gameplay was GOOD, but not GREAT or FANTASTIC. Thus, EA took their toys and went home while the state of Rhode Island poured one out for their tax dollars.

At least you tried, Curt. Not many even get that chance...
>>
I know it's a buzzword but it felt soulless.

The story was generic and there was no charismatic character. The world was bland and so were the enemies. It had some good action though and the classes had pretty varied gameplay, but that alone isn't enough.

It was a 6, very forgettable.
>>
>>339439272
The writing and lore was a bit ass, though. Not cringe-worthy tier, but something about it just felt weird and random.

Amalur was a product that was made-to-order, and that's, mostly, what we got. And the whole situation with the company is pretty sad, too. I heard that someone who didn't like one of the dudes managing the company talked some shit, which ended-up scaring investors and making them lose lots of cash.

There's a podcast out there where the guy talked about the tragic behind-the-scenes shit that went on with the studio. I wish I could find it for you guys.
>>
>>339438997
It was boring.

As for why the studio burned, that's more a case of a soccer star or whatever trying to give everyone the same lifestyle he had. Adorable, really, but ill-fated.
>>
Good gameplay, bland art design, completely forgettable story, too many MMORPG-type quest without enough joy in exploration to warrant it.
The gameplay and the different builds you could make was fun while it lasted, but the gameworld was too bland and unintersting to keep ypu playing. Not a bad game by any means, but not really the "hidden gem" its status as a ambitious economic fiasco could lead one to believe.
>>
File: IMG_8780.0.png (170 KB, 640x390) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8780.0.png
170 KB, 640x390
>>339440201
>soccer star
>he doesn't know based Curt Schilling
>>
They planned for it to be an MMO originally, couldn't do it, and so they rushed it out the door as a single player game.
>>
>>339440764

>men's room was designed for the penis, women's not so much

Deep.
>>
Elder Scrolls killer they said.
>>
File: 1354082779278.jpg (64 KB, 441x705) Image search: [Google]
1354082779278.jpg
64 KB, 441x705
I actually blame the music/sound design.

i could forgive everything
the bland story, the meh characters, the plain combat

but the lack of any real ambient music just really kills it.
>>
I thought the combat was horridly easy. I downloaded some cheat engine mod that made the game harder where you had to actually make use of the roll and evasive abilities kinda as you would in a souls game and that helped some.
I also felt the Fey or whatever they were called were one of the most bland fantasy races I had ever encounter.
But the game had alot going for it. it was gorgeous and it did have alot of neat little story lines in some of the zones like the village where the giant forest spiders had completly encroached on the village borders.
>>
>>339438997
Way too bland and generic in every way.
>>
A lot of things

Combat was good for the time and especially for a first game in the series
I kinda liked the artstyle but I'm not entire sure maybe it needed to be more consistent. There's a lot you can do in a fantasy game with this kind of artstyle so what I'm saying is the presentation could have been top tier but it's wasn't.

Focus? Identity? Attention to detail?

A lot of people will say that everything about it felt bland and as generic as it gets fantasy stuff
>>
>>339439775
damn son

I want to listen to that that's interesting
>>
>>339442703
Grant Kirkhope did the music. I found out that after the fact, and I thought it was odd because I can't remember the music at all, while Banjo's soundtrack is memorable as fuck.
>>
>>339439272
I don't get it, how did a state get stuck footing the bill for this?
>>
Too ambitious. I actually really enjoyed it, but that's because I don't mind "single player MMOs". You can clearly tell they started to run out of money fast though since the game was so frontloaded. The last zone had almost nothing in it outside of the few main story quests.
>>
I enjoy the combat. Didn't really care for the story or even lore. The world map can feel empty at times especially when traveling. There should be at least a mount or something that lets you travel faster (not fast travel)
>>
>boring, very easy combat. despite having a lot of variety.
>designs are boring
>music is one ambient track and one combat track
>quests are MMO tier
>environments are just giant areas with nothing in them
>dungeons are skyrim tier
>story is typical fantasy about evil powers and isnt very engaging
>lore is ..there? i'd care more if there was a game that was interesting.

i went in with an open mind too
>>
>go into some copy/paste dungeon to retrieve an ancient spear to kill a big monster
>which only an NPC can use
>who dies to said big monster
>your character kills the big monster without it since you, as a player, can't use spears

That's all I remember about the game. What is it with WRPGs and their aversion to spears?
>>
You guys don't forget that it came out after Skyrim. The Skyrim craze at the time buried this game.

I bet you if this game came out 1-2 years before Skyrim many people would have paid more attention to it.The game def had potential there and nerds usually cling to stuff like this because they know what to look for.
>>
It's one of those games that on paper seem good but then they just don't really work.
>>
>>339438997
Too easy. I used a double dagger assassins class as I do in most RPG's if possible and found out it was OP as fuck. Literally infinite stun locking on even bosses, top that off with poison.

I was already at max level by the time I left the beginning forest area in the top left hand corner. I downloaded this mod that made the enemies much harder so that way I could actually dodge with my assassins class instead of tanking like before.

Music was bland.
Races were bland.
Forgot the story as that was so bland.

It is possibly the most average 6/10 game ever created, not good or bad, just forgettable.
>>
>>339445817

You got to level 40 before leaving the forest? Jesus. I did nearly every quest in the game and only got to 40 as I traipsed the dead lands outside the final boss lair. You must've spent a long time grinding boggarts.
>>
>>339444661
>Game has all the animations for both men and women to use spears
>Several attacks and moves with them
>Instead of a nice Spear-Sword-Hammer weapon variety we get Sword-BIGGER SWORD-hammer
Who designs this kind of shit
>>
I love this game :C
>>
>>339438997
From what I remember playing it, too many side quests to distract you with and the main story wasn't interesting enough to actually keep going. I quit half way through out of boredom
>>
devs never got another shot huh

a damn shame

I remember the first Elder Scrolls game being a piece of shit. Sadly we lives in different times you don't get a second chance because video games are so expensive to make these days.
>>
>>339438997
It wasn't as bad as people here say, just a bit generic. It's biggest flaw is that nothing about it really stands out.
>>
>>339438997
My life
>>
File: Lisa Frank.jpg (91 KB, 368x464) Image search: [Google]
Lisa Frank.jpg
91 KB, 368x464
>>339438997
The cover looked cool. The gameplay looked like something out of Lisa Frank. I got sick of the color scheme. Felt like I was playing WoW.
>>
>>339447598
the truth is spears would trivialize the AI even more
>>
>>339439775
it wasn't someone working for the company it was the major lincoln chaffee, who scared investors by continuously attacking the company.
>>
>>339448751
I didn't say who was talking shit or who that person worked for. All I remember was that someone was talking shit and scaring investors.
>>
Very repetitive and bland after a few hours, it had great potential.
>>
>>339438997
They Decided to go with a tolkien fantasy in a already saturated market, with an author who mostly writes awful DnD rubbish. The problems with the game itself where the camera that was always looking at the ground and the collect a, kill b, quest design that's so commonly used to pad out rpgs.
It also didn't help that they didn't spend all that much on marketing.
>>
>>339444651
This is how I felt. I got to that third area after the desert and just stopped playing. I couldn't even push myself to see the end. I was just so bored of the game at that point.
>>
I replayed this recently. Nearly finished the entire first continent when I noticed I missed one small optional area. Went there and started questing. Turns out there is a game-breaking bug that happens in a certain quest in that area the disabled fast travel. I hit the bug and threw like 65 hours out the window. There is no fix for the bug because the studio closed down before it was resolved.

Otherwise I rather enjoyed the gear grind and combat
>>
>>339438997
Faeblades and Chakrams were the only unique things the game did
>>
>>339438997
Probably that it was supposed to be an MMO originally.
>>
>>339438997
I played this game for 30h and I maybe only saw 1/4 of it. It was comfy at first, doing all the quests getting new gear, reading about the lore. But in the end I was so OP it wasn't even fun anymore, lost total track of the mainstory that I never continued because of all those sidequests and even when I continued I found new questhubs with tons of new quests.

Game burnt me out pretty quick. Tried to get back into it a couple times but nope.
>>
>>339438997
Generic story brought to you by Salvatore.
>>
File: IMG_20160420_205500.jpg (200 KB, 600x840) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160420_205500.jpg
200 KB, 600x840
>>339438997
I thought it was alright. There was a lot to do but none of it was particularly interesting. The combat was fun and the environments looked nicd. I'd play a sequel with less, more diverse quests.
>>
Everything
>>
>>339447598
Chakrams were interesting, if only because they had a safe infinite on anything that could be stunlocked.

Unfortunately, the game just felt...lackluster. Everything, and I mean, everything (lore, music, combat, storyline, level design) was 6/10, maybe 7/10 for a few examples.

I paid about 20 dollars for it out of Walmart's discount rack, and I can't say I was scammed, but I would have less complaints if I paid say, 16 or 15 bucks for it.
>>
>>339450726
You touched on the biggest issue for me here. The game was entirely too large for how meh the core gameplay loop was
>>
>>339439656
This sums it up perfectly
>>
>>339444651
Memes aside, what in Amalur comes close to the best dwemer or falmer dungeons?
>>
>>339452442
>best dwemer or falmer dungeons
you say that like they're not all the same
Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.