[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What went wrong?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3
File: steambox.jpg (40 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
steambox.jpg
40 KB, 1280x720
What went wrong?
>>
>>339371945
Is it already out?
Well, overpriced piece of garbage
Bad marketing
What even was the target audience?
>>
>>339371945
linux

If you want to game on a PC the reality is that you need Windows.
>>
>>339373013

>What was even its target audience?

This is what I was wondering from the fucking start. If they had it at a low price point comparable to consoles and maybe had the thing auto set graphics settings or something for games you would probably get a good potion of the console audience. But anyone willing to pay over a thousand bucks is going to want to build thier own machine.
>>
it was a shitty idea with a controller that only autists thought could replace a normal pad or keyboard and mouse. it was also overhyped. next up on shitty overhyped idea: VR
>>
is the steam controller good
>>
>>339374336

Done and done

Who the fuck is gonna wanna miss out on gta v? If this shit was intended for casuals, they won't know how to reformat

>>339376704

It's the best pc controller for mouse imitation
>>
>>339377175
>mouse imitation
why the fuck would i want that when i'm already on pc
>>
>>339371945
Valve misunderstood their target audience (enthusiasts) and tried to pander to peasants who already suck Sony's cock so hard it is barely possible to pry them off it
>>
>>339377227

Because maybe you wanna lay back and play an rts without using a mouse? I do it on my couch
>>
>>339377615
But you don't need steam box for that, just add steam controllers to pc you already have
>>
>Rebranded small form factor PCs
>Linux
>>
>>339377692

Well I was talking only about the controller
>>
>>339377475

I don't think valve took anything seriously as they pumped no marketing into it.

It was initially said to be a counter measure to ms as they thought microsoft would lock down windows under 10 which seemed to be the case which is why they wanted to move to linux.

They didn't manufacture the hardware or do anything other than the os. Flash forward to today and valve doesn't seem to have an issue with 10 so they stopped caring as much.
>>
LOLnux.
>>
There was no market for it.
The tablet business model doesn't work on PC.
It was too expensive.
Linux.
>>
Linux.
that's literally it. Nothing else mattered after they said it would be a linux distro.
Very very very very few games that people actually play run on linux, so naturally, a system that uses linux and is designed to play games primarily will fucking fail massively.
and it did. Everyone moved back to micro PCs almost immediately.
>>
File: 1457557274511.jpg (639 KB, 1200x833) Image search: [Google]
1457557274511.jpg
639 KB, 1200x833
>Remove the biggest benefit of PC gaming which is non fixed hardware
>Linux over Windows
>Forced Steam controller which most people don't want
>Allow every one and their mother to make them over making one console spec like bundle to keep costs low
Clever concept, flawed execution. If you wanted console plebs to migrate to PC and remove the barrier of entry, making things even more of a hassle and expensive definitely wasn't the way to go. Shouldn't made an in house one off variation, like an i3 750ti or some shit. And then gave people the option of adding Windows/a decent controller for a bit more. Would've kept the price down, and kept the purchasing options simple for console retards.
>>
well, for valve, nothing went wrong, it's insurance against microsoft for them

for the actual success of the steam box? we have no idea how many people own them and are using them. i don't know anybody who bought one. i don't know if they were successful in wooing the console audience like valve might have hoped.

the problem as in understand it is that they're prebuilt PCs made by PC OEMs, and that means they're overpriced as fuck, for what they are. when alienware are making the cheapest one you know something is wrong. a lot of OEMs make a windows version for the same price, so they're basically adding on the cost of a windows license even when there isn't one.

i have no complaints about the library. i prefer it to the libraries of current gen consoles for sure.
>>
>>339371945
PC has no games
>>
>>339371945
PS4.5 is better
>>
File: linus_torvalds_fighter_jet.jpg (515 KB, 2304x3449) Image search: [Google]
linus_torvalds_fighter_jet.jpg
515 KB, 2304x3449
>>339378990
>Very very very very few games that people actually play run on linux
>2308
>22% of whole steam library
>2x more games than PS4
>3x more games than XB1

relatively small yes, but far from nogaems
>>
>>339373013
>What even was the target audience?

consolefags that will find themselves at an impassè when the next microsoft and sony consoles are upgradable pcs for the living room
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.