[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is nobody competing with GTA for the best open world shooter
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 3
File: Bad Rats Small.jpg (13 KB, 287x296) Image search: [Google]
Bad Rats Small.jpg
13 KB, 287x296
Why is nobody competing with GTA for the best open world shooter
Feels like GTA has a monopoly on that field
And if anybody could make a game better than R* who would it be
>>
>>339363870
Saints Row had a good run but they've been silent for a few years.
>>
File: 803179-toddlost[1].jpg (203 KB, 1632x1224) Image search: [Google]
803179-toddlost[1].jpg
203 KB, 1632x1224
Buy my game
>>
>>339364090
also Sleeping Dogs
>>
>>339364276
Sleeping dogs was awful in every aspect. Even saints row feels superior and that is saying something
>>
>>339363870
There is watch_dogs and the mafia series
>>
>>339363870
Rockstar is the only developer that can make a half decent open word game with research.

Anyone else that tries makes an empty and shitty map
>>
>>339363870
GTA is great but I wish somebody did it even better
People have tried like SR and Sleeping Dogs but they are worse in every aspect
>>
>>339364850

Mafia 1 and 2 were great but I wouldnt say they were open world since there is nothing to do
>>
>>339365004
I would say thats true, but I wish there was somebody else also, would push them and others to try even harder
>>
>>339365426
>no sleeping dogs game set in Japan by a Japanese developer team with R*'s production

I really like the idea of an open world game set in Tokyo with emphasis on hand to hand, foot chases and limited firearm usage.
>>
I want to see a developer make an open world game but set in a small town instead of a full sized city.
But put just as much work and resources into it.
So that we have an area with a ton of character and attention to detail. Every building and street wouldn't feel like a re-used asset. And it would feel like a real livable place. And although the town would be smaller than a city, the scale and depth of it would feel large because of it being a smaller concentrated area.
>>
>>339366585
Yakuza?

>>339364090
Don't think I'll ever bring myself to playing SR. Went from exact gta clone to retarded forced """"humor"""" to DUDE ALIENS AND DEMONS LMAO
>>
>>339363870
Take a look at GTAV's budget

There's your answer
>>
>>339367153
this t b h
imagine an open-world game where every building is interactive

there would have to be some rural areas around the town though so there's enough map for chase missions etc
>>
>>339367310
At least play the first two. Everything else can literally be skipped.
>>
File: grill in 2016.png (199 KB, 549x488) Image search: [Google]
grill in 2016.png
199 KB, 549x488
>>339367153
>Whats GTA IV
>Whats RDR
>>
Who on earth could possibly contest a studio with
1. people that have been doing these kind of games for over a decade
2. the budget of several AAA games combined
?

Do you think some indie slav studio is gonna magically build a game that can compete with the GTA series? Do you think Ubisoft or EA are gonna send hundreds of millions to the grave trying to immitate it? Not gonna happen. Best we get is things like Sleeping Dogs or Saints Row, which are decent games but will never match GTA in scope and popularity.
>>
>>339367481
>there would have to be some rural areas around the town though so there's enough map for chase missions etc

I agree there should be rural surrounding areas. But things like "chase missions" at least in terms of high speed car chases you have in GTA wouldn't be necessary. The missions as well could be smaller but with more depth.
>>
>>339367153
You literally just described Deadly Premonition.
>>
>>339367552
>gta iv
>Liberty City

>RDR
>Wild West countryside

What >>339367153 wants is probably a game with an area the size of Deadly Premonition's map but with way more work put into it.
>>
Saints Row 2 is the only thing close to be able to compete with GTA

SR 3 & 4 went a little too far with the "haha so random". They're still fun games, but it's a bit of a shallow experience and a definite step down from 2.
>>
>>339367153
>what is shenmue
>>
>>339363870

>open world game are boring
>there have been a thousand boring open world game like crackdown,prototype,saints row, infamous,assassin's creed, just cause (by the way the only good sandbox game) mad max, that game where you play a L.A cop and all the sequels of the game i just mentioned
>in the end it doesn't matter because normie just buy the one with the most marketing as all these games tend to blend into the same boring mishmash of bad shooting sequence/bad driving sequence/bad crime drama/bad movie (except just cause)
>>
>>339367923
Who are you quoting
>>
>>339367552
>New York City
>A small town

>Also
The Wild West isn't exactly what I had in mind either
>>
>>339367970
But you cant argue that RDR didnt have the detailed map you explained
You could enter almost any building
There werent many but it felt good
>>
>>339364850

Watch_dogs is fucking garbage and the mafia series are terrible open world games. Mafia series is good and all but they are not famous by it's open world aspects.
>>
>>339367762
>Deadly Premonition
>just as much work and resources

2bh I haven't played it but there is no way it has the resources a big budget open world game normally has.
>>
When will rockstar make an open world game with not shit aiming/gunplay?
>>
>>339367895
I actually forgot about this as an example.
Definitely gave me the feeling I'm looking for. Perhaps 3 will be amazing. Then again they might just upgrade to a big city instead
>>
>>339368284
AFAIK there's going to be multiple small towns in that rural chinese area
>>
>>339363870
GTA costs about 100-150 million dollars to make

True Crime Hong Kong for example feels so small and insignificant compared to it
>>
>>339367425
50% marketing
25% hooters and blow
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.