[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So, let's talk about Zelda Ocarina of Time
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 129
File: oot-emulator.jpg (1 MB, 1600x960) Image search: [Google]
oot-emulator.jpg
1 MB, 1600x960
>all those disgusting shit games these days
>literally not one great current gen game so far
>never could appreciate Zelda, specifically Ocarina of Time but still kinda liked it
>now play it again on emulator
>after having played all those current shit games it literally feels like playing a game made by fucking gods themselves

The lore (background story, political message, gossip stones), the gameplay that aged so well (literally still plays better than Kingdom hearts 1 and 2), that medieval/fantasy mix art style, that incredibly fucking amazing 10/10 music, that awesome story twist with the time travel which is used as a fucking GAMEPLAY DEVICE many times throughout the game or the way how even fucking music is used as a gameplay device and then those fucking amazing dungeons when games like Witcher 3 can't even come up with ONE complex dungeon or clever puzzle, let alone Souls which is just "walk from mob to mob until credits."

Why do we not talk more about this game? I am literally playing it right now on Project 64 and blown away by a fucking 20 year old game.
>>
File: oot.png (207 KB, 514x446) Image search: [Google]
oot.png
207 KB, 514x446
Honestly, what were they smoking when they composed this? This is the best shit I've ever heard my life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hw3Uxwlznp0&list=PLF40B1D5A82D3740D

About every single track feels mystical af. Love how the OST is also 2/5 very "serious".
>>
File: Dead_Hand_attacking.jpg (18 KB, 430x300) Image search: [Google]
Dead_Hand_attacking.jpg
18 KB, 430x300
Also, how the fuck was this game rated E when there are fucking zombies that even creep me out as an adult, those hands out of nowhere, blood, Gerudos literally raping men and other shit?
>>
>>339361313
>Why do we not talk more about this game?

It's probably one of the most talked about games ever. There haven't been any new developments since the 3DS port, and it's almost 20 years old, so what exactly do you expect people to talk about?
>>
>>339361549
But we have daily Bloodborne threads with people just praising it and talking about things? Why are Zelda fans incapable of this? Why can Zelda fans only shitpost and rage?

I noticed there also is no general on /vg/ when even Xenoblade X has one.
>>
>>339361313
OoT isn't the only game that is amazing though.
Vidya in general have gone downhill. The golden age seems to be behind us.
>>
I think if you play anything from the current year and above, then go back and play some old games, then you get an appreciation for them.
I'm running through Xenoblade for the 3rd time, and I'm still blown away by it even 6 years later almost.
>>
>>339361528
>Dead Hand
>Those torture devices
>Bongo Bongo's hands cut off
The Shadow Temple was not to be messed with
>>
>>339361528
There's no ESRB category for things simply being unsettling or disturbing, and the violence in OoT is fantasy / cartoonish, which is okay for a E-rated game.

Also, keep in mind ESRB ratings usually involved the publisher sending in a video of what they think is the most problematic parts of the game. Nintendo could have not thought the Gerudo thing was not explicit enough to be objectionable, and the ESRB never got angry letters about it.

The 3DS remake got "Suggestive Themes" tacked on, so I guess someone finally noticed the implications of the Gerudo that you did.
>>
>>339361417

This is the best title screen nintendo has ever created. After this one, every Zelda title screen has been a let down. Twilight princess wanted to emulate it but failed miserably. Specially because of the awful vocal midis.

The music, the atmosphere, everything. You could already tell you were about to play a GOAT. They better do something this good for the new one.
>>
>>339361627

It's almost as in you didn't read his post.

Also there is often threads about Zelda here.

Discussion will pick back up once E3 comes around and people play the new one.
>>
>>339361313
>that medieval/fantasy mix art style

I could never put my finger on it, but something about OOT felt "dreary" and "dark" in a way, while retaining the vibrant colors. Very few games other than early 2000 pc rpgs seem to capture that same kind of vibe.
>>
File: vqq.gif (18 KB, 320x224) Image search: [Google]
vqq.gif
18 KB, 320x224
>>339361313
It still feels like a overrated game to me, whenever i replay the game the Adult Link part of the game just drags like hell, i do not like those temples (Except MAYBE for Forest and Desert wich are just ok), and the bosses from the temples are just incredibly easy

Also, i loved how the first three dungeons are the inside of a tree, a cavern full of lizards and the insides of a monster, along with their respective bosses wich are cool too. I feel like the Kid Link part and the Ganon fight are the only parts that i enjoy

It took me a while to come to this, but i would say Majora's Mask is a better game than OoT in every aspect, i'm surprised no one brings it up when people discuss good 3D Zelda games
>>
>>339361313
I think OP is overreacting a bit but it is a pretty fun game.

I know you can't make lightning strike twice but the series really did take a nosedive when they handed it to that hack Aonuma. And with every step he goes to make the game different he still manages to exemplify the flaws in the pacing he created with Wind Waker (Which isn't that noticeable because the second half of the game was gutted but the Triforce Hunt is still filler incarnate)
>>
>>339362520

>i'm surprised no one brings it up when people discuss good 3D Zelda games

Did you arrive on /v/ last week?
>>
>>339362136
I think that this is the best Nintendo intro ever, on par with Yoshi's Island.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aE9YAJO7wJw

Nintendo's golden age.
>>
>>339362683
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0Gml-AlyCY

This was always my favorite intro. The way the ending blends into the Title screen is just perfect.
>>
>>339361313
>time travel, music, used as a fucking GAMEPLAY DEVICE

This kind of shit is what makes it really amazing, the way that what in any other game would be a background element becomes a functional part of the world.

That and this >>339362294 >>339361417
are reasons why I can't take seriously the idea that the game is supposed to be old hat and surpassed by a ton of modern games.
>>
>>339362801
>I can't take seriously the idea that the game is supposed to be old hat and surpassed by a ton of modern games.
Yeah, it's like people saying that Ukrainian coup surpassed shitstorm of 1917, or the French revolution, because the tech is better...
>>
File: 1464606264764.jpg (1 MB, 1205x1473) Image search: [Google]
1464606264764.jpg
1 MB, 1205x1473
Can we talk about this shit?

http://smoloko.com/?p=9048

It's all there, no interpretation required. Aryan boy saves Aryan race, must fight Arabs and literal Arab dictator with Jewish nose, name and hair. Gerudo trying to kidnap Zelda when she is the age of Aisha, Gerudos raping men, Islamic themes, Ganondorf turning into literal pig as a last resort whcih is haram.

What is this shit?
>>
>>339363459
Really makes you think.
>>
I really hope ZeldaU gets atmosphere great again.
I would be totally okay with the overworld being barren if they pulled a shadow of the colossus.

That is instead of colossus, you get dungeons.
Fite me.
>>
>>339361627
Nobody talks about OoT here because the other Anon said, it's been discussed to death.

Also there's the problem of underage faggots spewing their shitty opinions about the game that they formed after watching that Egoraptor video.
>>
>>339363459
Wtf, I hate Koizumi now.
>>
>>339363609
It's not like you can't also talk about other Zelda games in a specific Zelda thread.

So, let's get this going.

3D: OoT > WW > MM > TP > SS

2D: ALTTP > LA > MC > ALBW > ST > rest
>>
File: 1464248812544.jpg (136 KB, 1603x402) Image search: [Google]
1464248812544.jpg
136 KB, 1603x402
are the leaks real desu baka? are they confirmed fake already or not?
>>
>>339363747
>wind waker above majora's mask

WRONG
>>
>>339363747
>MM not the best 3D Zelda
What is wrong with you anon
>>
>>339363814
The text is the leak. Screenshots are probably a different poster and fake.

http://pastebin.com/2fFL6yPa
>>
>>339363927
>>339363957
But MM is fucking weird. This beach has some weird fucking grunge horror movie music when it should have happy music. Everything is too deperessing and the assets are all rehashed.

Wind Waker is pure adventure.
>>
>>339363957
But this OP makes it obvious that OoT is the best. Can't refute it, sweet.

Meme tip: Don't try.
>>
>>339364351
>This beach has some weird fucking grunge horror movie music when it should have happy music

You completely missed the point of the game.
>>
>>339364351
Well, the whole game is meant to invoke a sense of dread or "impending doom" upon you, remember that these people know they will die in three days unless you do something about it
>>
>>339363459
>The japanese worrying particularly about mistreading in regards to European/MiddleEastern history and iconography

That'll be the day.

You didn't see Mortal Kombat or countless other western made ninja games treat Japanese/chinese/korean history all that well.
>>
File: zelda sleepy.png (287 KB, 424x527) Image search: [Google]
zelda sleepy.png
287 KB, 424x527
Would you bite her lips?
>>
>>339361417
Experiencing that opening as a thirteen-year-old was fucking magical.
>>
>>339361313
>>literally not one great current gen game so far
Doom. It's the best fps is at least a decade.
>>
>>339364351
Wind Waker is pure autism. Everything about it is utterly offensive and clearly made with try hard wannabe macho faggots in mind since people were butthurt that Link turned out to be a twink fuccboi instead of their standard boring male power fantasy.
Not to mention that the dungeons suck, the story sucks, the gameplay was even more watered down that the previous entries, the fucking sailing was horrendous, everything about this damn game sucked.
>>
File: tumblr_mbcircpAQQ1qgvvtno1_500.jpg (65 KB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mbcircpAQQ1qgvvtno1_500.jpg
65 KB, 500x281
Posting best 3D Zelda, though. No puzzle orgy, fast and actually decent combat for an adventure.

>>339364451
>>339364467
But it has some happy music and vibes here and there? The weird music just feels displaced at the beach.

Beaches/coasts must be happy.
>>
I love it now but my problem with it as an 8 to 13 year old was that it's so vague a lot of the time

Like I can't ever imagine being able to get past the first like 30% of this game completely blind. You're just sort of expected to know where to go and what to do and when to do it .
I'm not even saying there should be waypoints or any cuck shit but like... someone just tell my god damn 10 year old self where to go
>>
>>339364705
But Navi told you where to go!

Not my fault everyone says she's "annoying"
>>
>>339364705
Same, desu. Never got very far with my brother. People always wand less handholding but they don't realize they're manchildren and most normal age children often don't have the patience for these kind of games. I don't like it myself as the experienced gaymer I am today but I fully understand Nintendo somewhat casualizing Zelda and I'm OK with it as long as Zelda U will offer some fucking adventure again.
>>
>>339361313
>tfw Saria's song
>>
>>339362520
See I prefer Majora's Mask in almost every respect but I'd say that the parts which even I have to concede are a downgrade from OoT are the dungeons and the boss fights. The dungeons because there's so few of them (literally half the number from OoT) and the boss fights because they're so wildly inconsistent.

>odolwa
>a neat fight (no weak points, no secret weapon, just a big guy with a sword) but easily cheesed
>goht
>fun as hell but not really a fight in the conventional respect, would have been better as a miniboss
>gyorg
>repetitive and terrible
>twinmold
>literally what were they thinking, this is barely a neat concept and not at all an interesting fight

For me it's the three day system, the depth and vibrancy of Clock Town, the overall atmosphere and the sheer left-field beautiful meaningful weirdness that puts Majora's Mask ahead of every other Zelda game. And I still love Nintendo for creating it. What company nowadays would say to themselves "hey guys, we've made the most popular console game of all time, how about we follow it up with something incredibly dark, weird and artistic with brand new and unique gameplay mechanics?"
>>
>>339364683
Okami was amazing but it still shares some of the most hated flaws from the latest Zelda series.

Off the top of my head

>Takes forever to get interesting
>Fighting Orochi 3 times

And on its own:
>Combat sections being isolated in those scrolls probably due to ps2 hardware limitations.

Still GOAT, and more enjoyable than TP or SS, for example.
>>
>>339364351
>>339364683
You're right, MM mostly feels the ways it does because it sloppily re-uses content, not because most of it is particularly well though out. OoT is far better as creating many different, varied atmospheres and using music appropriately.
>>
File: Bloodborne-cover-819x1024.jpg (308 KB, 819x1024) Image search: [Google]
Bloodborne-cover-819x1024.jpg
308 KB, 819x1024
>literally not one great current gen game so far

Just stop

>b-but if I dont hate it I wont fit in on /v/
>>
File: 1437084577003.png (922 KB, 900x1000) Image search: [Google]
1437084577003.png
922 KB, 900x1000
>>339361313
What's left to talk about?
This game has been milked to the very end in ever aspect imaginable. Everyone knows about it, by first or second hand experience, everyone has praised it, everyone has shat on it, every code line has been data mined.

What is left to say that hasn't been said before?
>>
>>339364683
I fiercely disagree.

Almost everything about Okami is poor in comparison to good Zelda games.

Even when it borrows directly from Zelda it's not very good at it.
>>
>>339365065
Weakest souls game desu, DaS1 is still superior, but is the pretties, I will admit that.
>>
>>339364705
The older Zelda were made for people who want to explore every damn thing there is anyway, so having them designed like that is a bonus.
>>
>>339365065
It was okay. Not great. Not as good as Dark Souls.
>>
>>339363528
I agree. Let's not fight, anon.
>>
>>339365079
More proper analysis of how the synergy between sound/picture/interactivity generates the intended moods and subsequent "feels" would be nice.

But there's probably already oodles of this if I look around more closely.
>>
>>339365039
>probably due to ps2 hardware limitations
No, it's more game design. If you have enemies in an open area:

a) That can generally allow you to exploit shit
b) You either need path-finding A.I or enemies that just stand around in a specific area.
>>
>>339364986
My only gripe is that once you beat Stone Tower htere's no real incentive to do anything else. Just either go straight to Majora or you're stuck collecting all 20 Masks so you can do the whole Moon Dungeon. But none of those sidequests challenge your sword skills and there's only two optional mini-dungeons and both of them are Skulltula hunts.
>>
>>339363459
Fuck me if it's right
>>
>>339365065
What really makes Bloodborne "great" though?

Isn't just a very well done but rather rudimentary and straight forward action RPG?
>>
>>339364986
>What company nowadays would say to themselves "hey guys, we've made the most popular console game of all time, how about we follow it up with something incredibly dark, weird and artistic with brand new and unique gameplay mechanics?"
Not thought about that before, MM was actually a really bold move. I can't imagine Nintendo doing something like it nowadays.
>>
>>339365065
I was going to post this. Then I remembered how autistic /v/ is about it. Its a fucking labor of love no matter how you look at it, all the little details
>Adella staring at you when you talk to Arianne
>dolls head quickly turning to face you when entering old workshop for the first time

These things serve little purpose and by no means needed to be in the game. But there they fucking are. Id go on if I wasnt going off zero sleep for the past 3 nights. But basically the games fucking art.
>>
>>339361313
Thank you for this thread OP, you've provoked many good forgotten feels and goosebumps
>>
>>339365308
Okami puts too much emphasis on combat. Hence the stupid cage matches.

Good thing the main Bosses didn't do that shit.
>>
>>339365293
>More proper analysis of how the synergy between sound/picture/interactivity generates the intended moods and subsequent "feels" would be nice.

You're right.

>But there's probably already oodles of this if I look around more closely.

But there's actually not as much of this as you'd think, because what OoT does is so complex and filled with subtleties that are difficult to isolate and analyse that actually boiling things down to how it was actually as good as it was isn't easy at all.

This is partly why I feel that MM has become so popular in these circles, it's so much easier to break it apart and point out all the specific, clever things that it does and how they interact. OoT relies on a wider and more colorful array of experiences and what it does is much more abstract and hard to pin down.
>>
>>339365473

It was kind of a two-way like that.

Same engine, same constrols, many of the same characterbases and animations, but then they were given a lot of leeway with story and level design.

They also went back and included the original Zelda theme just for extra recognition value. A theme which most people forget wasn't in OoT at all.
>>
>>339361313
Finally, a thread that is comfy and nice. I've got my uni exams tomorrow but I'm gonna replay OOT instead of revising.
>>
>>339365324
OoT had the best optional mini dungeon in the Gerudo Training Grounds. I've yet to see anything in the series surpass that.
>>
>>339365324
I guess the problem is that so much energy and effort was focused on making Clock Town a living, breathing, believable little city where almost every character mattered and your actions had a real impact on how those three days played out. The rest of the world was always going to suffer from that, and that's where most of the fighting takes place.

It is a shame because when I went back to play the N64 Zeldas not long ago I realised how impressive the combat is. I also realised if it wasn't for Ocarina of Time we'd have no Souls series.
>>
>>339365685
>A theme which most people forget wasn't in OoT at all.

And I'm glad this is the case. OoT's Hyrule theme is handled much better than how MM did the Zelda theme.
>>
File: field exploration.webm (2 MB, 720x540) Image search: [Google]
field exploration.webm
2 MB, 720x540
>>339365039
>combat sections

It's game design and it's a good thing since Okami's combat is more complex and more important, they somehow have to seperate it. You get a score, money and need an even ground for a fair fight.

Bayonetta, for example, does this too.

>>339365616
I love those "cages" for the fact that they do kinda the opposite, they let you completely IGNORE the combat and just explore the world without fucking BATS or BIRDS attacking you like in Zelda with fuckign annoying shit music ruining the atmopshere all the time.

They just should have made the walls of those cages more transparent, maybe. But this probably does in fact have something to do with hardware limitations.
>>
File: 1429593393915.jpg (121 KB, 352x338) Image search: [Google]
1429593393915.jpg
121 KB, 352x338
>>339365649
Truly the strength of OoT is in the little details.
>Fores temple haunted theme
>That feel of being watched the whole time
>Hunting down the Poe sisters through all the place just to find the last one crying in the middle of the main area waiting for you
>>
>>339365571
Still bullshit that i have to buy a console to play it though.
>>
>>339365804
>I realised how impressive the combat is

It's a shame how little appreciated this is. Zelda absolutely nailed combat in 3D the first time, but few people acknowledged this because the enemies were rarely challenging. It is seriously some of the most fluid and responsive combat in any 3D game to this day, just check out some old speedruns of the game.
>>
>>339365649
You're probably right.

The game structure of Majora's Mask and the application of its tools is rather more obvious.
>>
File: tfw.png (115 KB, 398x350) Image search: [Google]
tfw.png
115 KB, 398x350
>tfw you realize almost every single character in OoT is unique except for the marketplace and Gerudos in contrast to shitty generic open world games these days with generic characters everywhere (Skyrim which doesn't even have fat or small people)

I believe in Okami there even really are ONLY unique characters despite big villages and towns. It's crazy.

Games are turning to shit.
>>
File: 1463116553073.png (123 KB, 343x423) Image search: [Google]
1463116553073.png
123 KB, 343x423
>>339361313
>played it back in the day and absolutely hated it
>played it years later and still hated it
I will never see what people get out of this game and it saddens me a little.
>>
>>339365940
okami's combat is awkward as fuck and it's basically impossible to die because you can just buy 100 healing items and dripfeed yourself. additionally, half of the weapons are completely useless, and most enemy fights are heavily choreographed 'and in this attack i will show you my weak spot' type fights, or 'in this attack i am vulnerable to this particular brush technique' or whatever.
>>
>>339365201
I agree but then take say Majoras Mask with the time limit and it gets a little different
>>
>>339366135
When you aren't 15 and by back in the day mean 10 years ago and you can't at least appreciate the melodies, you are kinda weird.
>>
>>339365940
>I love those "cages" for the fact that they do kinda the opposite, they let you completely IGNORE the combat and just explore the world without fucking BATS or BIRDS attacking you like in Zelda with fuckign annoying shit music ruining the atmopshere all the time.

I guess i don't like the cages precisely because i like what you don't about Zelda games. I prefer enemies integrated within the world, even if they get to be annoying sometimes. That's kind of the point about enemies.

>They just should have made the walls of those cages more transparent, maybe. But this probably does in fact have something to do with hardware limitations.

Good point. But I still don't like the scroll things wandering around like if it was a turn based rpg game.
>>
>>339365825
Yeah the Termina Field theme was kind of clunky I think, I feel like reprising the Zelda theme would have been better used in a more inspiring or significant location, not for just the generic overworld theme. Although I did like how the orchestration changed as you walked into the different sections of the field, like in Banjo Kazooie.
>>
>>339366187
I was 6 when I first played it, wasn't my first Zelda game. I'm a little over 21 now and the 3DS remake was an absolute chore for me while my roommate was in constant amazement.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not here to go "this game is fucking gay, you're all wrong and I'm right even though it's not for me", I just can't into this one. I prefer LTTP to be honest. The first half anyway.
>>
>>339366135
Not everyone can like everything.

Maybe you'd have a better time with it if you were hanging out with someone else, playing it together.

I personally can't watch anime alone.
>>
>>339366017
Just like Zelda
>>
I miss Ganon's old voice. The one he has now suits him, but back in OoT/WW he sounded like he could sing baritone if he wanted.
>>
>>339365191
>Weakest souls game
Kill yourself, baitmaster
>>
>>339362136
>This is the best title screen nintendo has ever created
I'd say Majora and Super Metroid just about have it beat.
>>
File: Assembled.png (137 KB, 750x650) Image search: [Google]
Assembled.png
137 KB, 750x650
I had a bit of a revelation last night while looking through the game's character models. Specifically I had no idea that Bongo Bongo's torso was so fucking long. I knew it stretched up into the air but christ. I got to thinking about how it might end or have ended were he not a freaky shadow monster.

And then it occurred to me. I've been asking the same question about Dead Hand since forever, as have others. It's an alarmingly neat fit - Dead Hand and Bongo Bongo are the same creature. In the bottom of the Well you could only fight it's weaker, limited upper body, but as an adult the monster could take you on with its full power.
>>
File: how you want your parry fam.webm (3 MB, 720x480) Image search: [Google]
how you want your parry fam.webm
3 MB, 720x480
>>339366138
Exactly, you CAN buy items. You don't have to and shouldn't since in this game money is actually worth shit. You most definitely won't even be able to buy all techniques and optional items on your first playthrough. Never buy buff items, never. Preferably don't even use the ones you find. On top of this you can also spend that "luck" you find on other things but health because unlike heart pieces luck in Okami actually gives you options what you can spend it on. This actually makes Okami kinda difficult, especially if you always want to get the best score (pink tree), in this case it's even extremely difficult.

I agree it's kinda awkward and not always fair and confusing, don't really agree with obvious weakspots, though. To this day I have no clue about many weaknesses and required finishers to get demon fangs from many enemies. I also fail to see how weapons are useless.

Dodging, parrying and wrecking enemies with simple combos is very satisfying.
>>
>>339366017
>he says in a thread about console exclusives
>>
File: 142130234734.webm (2 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
142130234734.webm
2 MB, 1280x720
>>339365065
Don't ruin this thread with this cancer, please. You guys make 500 cancer threads per day about this game and cancer this board up some more. No need to infest other threads. Although you even infest other boards like /tv/ and /pol/ with it.

Mods should do something. Maybe a containment board.
>>
>>339361528
Different times probably. Nowadays people are a lot more sensitive to literally everything, back then people didn't really give a fuck.
>>
>>339363459

wtf i hate link now
>>
>>339363459
So, Zelda and Christian upbringing are the reason I didn't have any issue with naming the jew as the enemy?
But why is smoloko so tongue in cheek?
>>
EH REH EH REH EH REH EH REH EH REH
>>
>>339366550

>beating up Dead Hand and talking the eye of truth pissed him off
>7 years later he still mad

Fighting bits and pieces of a fuckhuge boss that stretches through the dungeon is a pretty cool concept, though.
>>
>>339366536
MM, where it's just the mask floating back and forth? I was never a fan. Too spoopy when I was a kid, too dull now.
>>
>>339366536
Super metroid is amazing aswell, but majora is clearly behind. It ends neat with the spooky music and the moon and everything. But for the rest it's kinda bland.
>>
>>339366067
I'm happy to so you agree. MM has tons of subtle, interesting details, and you can illuminate them, show them to other people so that they understand you and possibly make charts showing how all these details relate to each other. With Ocarina, the greatness is embedded more in the totality of everything and all of the possible contrasts this enables, but this is inherently more abstract and difficult to analyse in the ways you can detail the experiences of MM.

Ocarina is like a large scale symphony while MM is a tightly composed variations on a theme.
>>
>>339366550
Probably the low poly talking, but props to the character designer for making one weird looking asswipe.

Not that his official art wasn't badass anyway.
>>
>>339364683
thats no wind waker

A zora died on the beach as soon as you get there, a woman is missing her eggs and a band just lost it's lead guitarist and singer before the show, theirs a giant moon about to crush all of them and there's very little hope in the zora society because they're all beginning to accept their fate.

The music isn't happy or cheerful because there's nothing happy or cheerful about what was going on there.
>>
File: Bobby Kike.png (217 KB, 700x968) Image search: [Google]
Bobby Kike.png
217 KB, 700x968
>>339366736
>>
>>339361313
>then those fucking amazing dungeons when games like Witcher 3 can't even come up with ONE complex dungeon or clever puzzle, let alone Souls which is just "walk from mob to mob until credits."

Every game should be in the style of zelda? You know dark souls isn't supposed to be a puzzle game right? Zelda has always really been about being a multi-game in a game, sorry if Dark Souls doesn't have like 10 mini-games.
>>
File: quick puzzle.webm (2 MB, 720x480) Image search: [Google]
quick puzzle.webm
2 MB, 720x480
>>339365119
I think it does literally everything better after just having finished TP and Okami on Dolphin. The fact alone how it takes ages in TP/Zelda to solve simple puzzles or even open a door and enter a new room while entire dungeons in Okami are fluently connected, an actually organic looking world with stuff everywhere, useful money, uniqu characters, good but rare puzzles instead of a puzzle orgy etc.

Zelda is m favourite franchise and I think Nintendo could easily make a Zelda better than Okami if they would go all out but they haven't done this so far. They never go all out because they always want to go with one specific gimmick with Zelda games and even cut content so they can use it for the next Zelda game and already have a basis.
>>
File: mongolian woman.jpg (391 KB, 1374x1425) Image search: [Google]
mongolian woman.jpg
391 KB, 1374x1425
So how did they do it? Did they just decide "Ok, lets put all our passion down into this one project and then let our souls expire"? How did everything work so well together? Luck? And how havent they recreated this? Was it just a moment of inspiration where everyone shared the exact vision? Like a miracle or some shit? I mean there have been good Zeldas later, but they seem to lack a "spark" or something. Hard to explain.
>>
>>339366749
Which was explicitly done in Jabu-Jabu's stomach.
>>
>>339365065
Good graphic don't make a good game. Bloodborne looks nice, but it plays like garbage, it's hard in the sense that there's no real challenge, but just bullshit that makes the game hard by giving you disadvantages rather than a fair fight. There's little world building and character establishment, the only good thing is the graphics.
>>
>>339366550
>Dead Hand and Bongo Bongo are the same creature.

Bullshit. What makes you think this? Dead hand is yet another creature. I think you even fight another one in the shadow temple as an adult.
>>
>>339366989
They've re-created it. There's just only been three/four zelda games since. I really liked Twilight Princess

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hVUxW3goas
>>
File: SZ926755TS.jpg (11 KB, 560x320) Image search: [Google]
SZ926755TS.jpg
11 KB, 560x320
>>339363459
You know, Miyamoto traveling to Germany to get inspirations for the towns and the master sword being based on a nazi ceremonial blade does not help.
>>
>>339366736
Stop samefagging, it's very obvious.
>>
File: okami puzzle.webm (3 MB, 480x288) Image search: [Google]
okami puzzle.webm
3 MB, 480x288
>>339366936
>>
>>339366989
Well for one it was 1996ish where 3D was brand new and they had no idea what "genre" they were making while making Zelda games. I think a lot of OoT relied on just wanting to make a bunch of fantasy scenarios and coming up with things like a "first person mode" to better explore or finely aim the bow.

In interviews the developer that designed and programmed the fishing mini game sort of just did it on his own time without other developers knowing. At some point they just left the fishing in because it was cool and something you would do. A lot of mini games and puzzles seemed to have like this goto logic of "lets put a pond here, hmm this pond needs fish, hey shouldn't you be able to go fishing here?"

Nowadays I think even Nintendo themselves are too selfaware of the genre staples and specific systems that need to be perfected or refined. For instance bug catching in Skyward Sword just felt like a continuation of a previous system rather than something that naturally happened.
>>
Nintendo's going to win e3 this year with 1 game.
>>
>>339367186
Since I'm the guy who posted the picture and link but not the guy you quoted I must tell you you are delusional.
>>
>>339367173
Holy fuck that does look similar.
>>
>>339366936
>after just having finished TP

There's your problem, try a more creative Zelda.

>I think Nintendo could easily make a Zelda better than Okami if they would go all out

And they have, several times.
>>
>>339367091

UH, TWILIGHT PRINCESS FANS OR KEK PRINCESS KEKS AS I LIKE TO CALL THEM, GET OFF THIS COMMUNITY BECAUSE IT'S FOR OCARINA OF TIME FANS ONLY, UNDERSTAND? CAUSE IF YOU DON'T I WILL MAKE JAPANESE PEOPLE RADIOACTIVE SKELETONS AGAIN!!!
>>
I really hope A Link Between Worlds is appreciated more as time goes on, it's paining gimmick is very much in vein with the time travelling aspect in OoT. It's feels like a core asset when playing
>>
>>339366936
It's been so long I completely forgot about those eyeball guys.
>>
>>339363459
How is it anti-semitic to have a character with a big nose but not anti-semitic to assume he's a jew because of his big nose?
>>
File: Oe Savoe.png (3 MB, 2159x2369) Image search: [Google]
Oe Savoe.png
3 MB, 2159x2369
>>339366749
Aye, it's like the eel fight from LA scaled up a bunch. Or the Stalknight boss from the same game but not just repeated encounters.

I'd like for the giant stalfos with an agenda concept to return to Zelda. (of course, I'd like a lot of things to return to Zelda, but that's neither here nor there). You could do an entire Zelda game where the minibosses harass the player with the items they cough up in each dungeon, where there is no set miniboss room and winning is a mixture of preset fights and freeform chases. It'd be more fun and in line with Zelda that modern Nintendo gimmickry.

>>339366832
Word. I don't seem to have that in my Zelda folder, so this Poe will have to do. Wish there was official Dead Hand art.
>>
File: 1401388244800.jpg (48 KB, 625x525) Image search: [Google]
1401388244800.jpg
48 KB, 625x525
>>339364351
>Everything is too deperessing
I think you missed the point
>>
>>339367357
Vampires can't into mirrors, anon.
>>
http://e3.nintendo.com/#
Did this site always have these sounds? If so, we're in for some excellent craftsmanship of them.
>>
>>339367091
>They've re-created it.

I can't say they have, not in its totality. Like, if you fully experienced Ocarina you'd understand how difficult it is to describe the total effect of what it feels like. There are honest attempts at this in MM and WW, but there's just not quite the same level of awe in all its sheer variety.
>>
>>339367325

I'm with you here. Sticking to walls felt as natural as autojump in the 3D games. It didn't break the flow of the game and puzzles gained a lot of perspective. It also served as a way to getting close-ups of details if you wanted to examine something better.

Too bad that mechanic is too tied to that game's plot. Wouldn't make sense in other games.
>>
File: tfw feeling like a god.webm (3 MB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
tfw feeling like a god.webm
3 MB, 640x360
>>339367191

>>339367286
>There's your problem, try a more creative Zelda.
It's not like what I described doesn't apply to WW which is the only other Zelda the same generation as Okami. Then again, you wouldn't do yourself a favour comparing Okami with SS which is a steaming pile of shit with some decent level design ideas.

>And they have, several times.
Well, I don't think so for reasons stated. I can post one Okami screenshot with more content in it alone than TP or WW in/on entire zones/islands.
>>
>>339367540
Don't hear a thing, anon.
>>
>>339367209
>For instance bug catching in Skyward Sword

Its really disappointing how this doesn't give you incentive to actually explore and find new sources of bugs, because they're all just kind of there.
>>
>>339366773
What? That's the bit right before the title screen. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ur5n3ZO6H6s

The lovely, calm, mellow Clock Town music as it shows everyone relaxing then morphing into Majora's theme as it pans to Skull Kid on the Clock Tower. Good shit.
>>
>>339367723
Try another browser. For some reason I can't see or hear shit with Firefox either. Nintendo's marketing is and will always be pure trash.
>>
File: 2_Leaving11_Large.jpg (190 KB, 800x440) Image search: [Google]
2_Leaving11_Large.jpg
190 KB, 800x440
>>339361313
Maybe it's just nostalgia, but I can't help but feel like some of the charm was lost in the 3DS remake.
>>
>>339367209
>I think even Nintendo themselves are too selfaware of the genre staples and specific systems that need to be perfected or refined
Not Nintendo themselves but I feel like the most obvious examples of this is gym leaders and rivals in Pokemon.

In older games they served as typical "boss fights", but in newer games they're basically no different to any other trainers, sometimes even worse. If they were designing XY from the ground up with no context of previous Pokemon games, they probably wouldn't be there.

Zelda tends to evolve a fair bit between titles but they've become too attached to their staples. Everything is too neatly structured. Go to dungeon, beta miniboss, get item, use item on rest of dungeon, beat boss.
>>
File: -56.jpg (7 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
-56.jpg
7 KB, 225x225
>>339367785
Tried with both firefox and chrome. Hold me, /v/.
>>
>>339368020
>Zelda tends to evolve a fair bit between titles but they've become too attached to their staples.

So like literally every other video game series ever?
>>
>>339367924
It obviously was. Bad textures get too much shit from people. They stimulate your fantasy way more, one big reason old games are better than modern games.

Those people that prefer TP with the disgusting fan mods over the original are very bad people.
>>
>>339368127
Fuck off namefag
>>
File: 1414665979340.jpg (23 KB, 569x428) Image search: [Google]
1414665979340.jpg
23 KB, 569x428
>>339366989
They where playing with a brand new world (3D), there where no blueprints for anything they tried or wanted to make which forced them to create everything from zero.

Perfect scenario to let creativity flow, not to mention most of the staff where young and each of them was a fan of the franchise and had a lot of experience in the industry.

Then you have Miyamoto, he was heavily involved in the development, half of the shit he wanted was very complicated and pushed the devs to their best.

But I think the main strength of OoT is that it feels complete, as in, it had everything it needed, it doesn't feel rushed or that content was cut from it. All the aspect of the wame work in harmony, it may sound retarded but I can only describe it as that feeling when you end a good book.
>>
>>339367663
>>
>>339367924
OOT 3D is a decent remake that does a good job of capturing the spirit of the original.

Majora's Mask 3D is a whole other story.
>>
>>339368020
Pokemon has had those staples since like forever.

It's more that ones introduced in later gens which are dragging the series down, like how every game has to be about saving the world from Legendaries being mistreated. Ruby and Sapphire weren't even good why do they keep reusing that plot?
>>
>>339364986
You raise valid points on the boss fights, but the mini-boss fights are all good. As for the dungeons, I can't agree - Majora's Mask's dungeons are among the best in the franchise (I'm not a water dungeon hater).

In addition, I find that dungeons appreciate in value with the quality, scale and interconnection of their pre-quest (ie town, location, tasks done before access granted), and we can agree this was top tier in MM. Sub dungeons are also a great and under-used part of the Zelda franchise, and MM has two. Ikana Castle in particular is awesome.
>>
File: zelda '''leaks'''.jpg (489 KB, 1747x1166) Image search: [Google]
zelda '''leaks'''.jpg
489 KB, 1747x1166
>>339367540
>>339364268
>that Sheik tribe picture

Will we be disappointed if the leak is real or not? It sounds very weird but not MM weird so still plausible.
>>
File: 1445695675422.jpg (25 KB, 321x322) Image search: [Google]
1445695675422.jpg
25 KB, 321x322
>>339364508
Is this twilight princess?

Humor me, I've only played the N64 games
>>
>>339368353
Gotta make those legendaries the focus of the story to appeal to impatient kids who can't just find shit on their own.
>>
>>339368452
Hyrule Warriors
>>
>>339368452
No, she looks like she will beat you up in TP.
>>
>>339368182
I agree. Same with the people who prefer disgusting "realistic" fan mods of FF7.

>>339368191
No.

>>339368254
I first played MM3D at a game display kiosk, I didn't know what I was doing since I wasn't used to the 3DS controls, I still beat Odolwa without taking any damage. Nintendo really dun goofed.
>>
>>339368043

try it with microsoft edge
>>
>>339368452
Hyrule warriors m8.
>>
>>339368490
Yo summerfag this is an anonymous board
>>
File: 776052_1310869622771_full.png (2 MB, 1620x1224) Image search: [Google]
776052_1310869622771_full.png
2 MB, 1620x1224
>gossip stones
Why do people never talk about Zelda lore? Souls lore makes no sense at all anymore is fucking spastic but everyone talks about it, meanwhile Zelda lore is simple but seems to be very well thought out, actually.

http://zelda.wikia.com/wiki/Gossip_Stone/Quotes

Love reading this shit.
>>
>>339366936
TP is the worst Zelda to me, but it's still better than Okami.

I loathe the dungeons in Okami. They're empty and pointless and there's nothing really telling them apart from traversing the overworld.

For me it's never an issue that it takes time to advance in a Zelda game. I enjoy puzzles very much. And to me, the ones in Okami are much too simplistic, and rarely manage to fulfill their potential.

I don't like the money in Okami much at all. You find treasures, but all you can do with them is sell them. So you can buy items you don't need, and moves that in Zelda would have been item specific.

I don't particularly care for the characters in Okami. They talk too much and their dialogue isn't well written. The worst offender is Issun, who manages to be several times more annoying than Navi ever was.

I liked the environment graphics and the music of Okami very much, but the battles always felt like a chore, and so many parts felt like they didn't come to fruition, and were merely hints of good ideas, like that bit where you control the emperor, only to just walk him across the yard, with no obstacles hindering you.
>>
File: tumblr_nndc4y54hx1tj5pd7o3_1280.png (841 KB, 850x588) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nndc4y54hx1tj5pd7o3_1280.png
841 KB, 850x588
>>339368647
I tend not to, they fueled my waifu faggotory back in the day.
>>
>>339368647
>"They say that players who select the 'HOLD' option for 'Z TARGETING' are real 'Zelda players!'"
eat shit casuals
>>
File: full20090604212443.jpg (350 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
full20090604212443.jpg
350 KB, 1920x1080
>>339367924
Things like framing, composition and particulaly color and value took a huge hit in the remake.

I'm not sure they fucked it over quite as bad as say pic related, but it's not visually the same game anymore.
>>
>>339361417
>>339362136
Back when Zelda games respected the NES titles

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2J_SogHpI7A
>>
>>339368746
>malonfag
my goron brethren
>>
File: feelit.jpg (98 KB, 500x369) Image search: [Google]
feelit.jpg
98 KB, 500x369
>>339367750
>that slowly building clocktown theme
this is of what dreams are made
>>
>>339369115
>same whistle sound used later in Mario Bros. 3

DEEPEST LORE
E
E
P
E
S
T

L
O
R
E
>>
>>339368423

>dem dancing ReDeads
>>
>>339366550
It says a lot for the presentation and design work of OoT when it throws at you, with a straight face, an eyeball-and-hands boss who fights you on top of a giant bongo drum and his NAME is Bongo Bongo, and people still found it unnerving and maybe even a little scary at the time.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_VH3R1luEA
>>
>>339367357
no-one thought ganondorf was a depiction of the jewish person until the name and all the other stuff was brought up though
>>
>>339367750
This shit has such a strong tone of japanese local community life going on.

Ordinary people going about their ordinary lives. Like they've always done.

And then the looming wickedness about to bring it all to a violent end.
>>
File: 1378736138079.jpg (141 KB, 1582x1526) Image search: [Google]
1378736138079.jpg
141 KB, 1582x1526
>>339369465
>ocarina of cockarina
I am a child
>>
>>339367209
>>339367209
>>339368020
What we're stumbling on is a transition in Nintendo's design goals from substance to signal. The features brought up in these posts and elsewhere were implemented for inherent reasons. Boss fights are meant to be a fun, intense challenge that tests if players are skilled enough with the item they acquired in a dungeon, before letting them loose further in the game. Fishing meanwhile was just an inherently fun thing a programmer threw in there because why not - it looks and feels nice, provides a challenge and fleshes out the world.

But what we find more and more is Nintendo putting in features because they need to say "we're Nintendo, this is a Nintendo game, you are being Nintendoey at the minute". The bug catching quest in SS is disappointing, but that's because it's not optimised for enjoyment. It's optimised because fans looking to be "part" of the "Nintendo experience" get to use it as a merit badge, saying they have first hand experience of a Nintendo staple. Gym Leaders are not meant as a functional element of Pokemon's challenge scale, nor as an optional revisited intense-themed showdown, but as a piece of mythos to be revered and tolerated, endured even, as a ritual of providence. And by endured, I don't mean difficulty - I mean tedium. Repetetiveness makes the strongest impression.

Nintendo is turning itself into a label. Players who have no problem with the games not being fun, and indeed are nothing but positivity for Miyamoto's latest trademark gimmick are promoted and rewarded, while players who don't care about who made a gimmick so long as it's fun and integrated into the game, and thus will reject a poor, clashing, spoonfed "feature" even if Iwata came back from the dead and blessed it, are marginalised. You're not a good Zelda player if you're not in it out of an obsessive love for shibboleths regardless of context or implementation. Miyamoto is a beloved priest and his ministrations are to be humbly accepted.
>>
>>339361313
i speedrun it so it feels unimpressive, but impressive at the same time any time i play it. it's what keeps me running
>>
>>339369528
How is a local town community a Japanese-exclusive thing you weaboo
>>
File: Assembled.png (520 KB, 750x650) Image search: [Google]
Assembled.png
520 KB, 750x650
>>339367924
>>339368182
Say it bro. I don't need utrafine woodgrain textures in a fantasy game, nor do I need some hackjob halfway. This is evocative, it gives a solid impression and leaves plenty to the viewer to evolve in their minds. It's nourishing.
>>
>>339369397
That's because the hands were severed and the eye was coming out of a decapitated neck

He could have been called Poop Goo McGee and that wouldn't have stopped him being scary
>>
>>339369624
It isn't. But the feel here is very typical of what is often portrayed in japanese films and fiction.

It's very much loaded with the sensibilities of archetypical small town Japan.

Naturally, because it does it so well, just like with all it's characters, Zelda ends up speaking at eye-level to the rest of the world as well.

In that reagard it has a lot in common with Miyazaki films.
>>
>>339368647

The Gossip Stones in SS were one of the things that made that game worth playing to me. It really did a good job of recreating the same feel of reading the gossip stones in OoT.
>>
File: gsdx_20151028215825.png (1 MB, 1152x648) Image search: [Google]
gsdx_20151028215825.png
1 MB, 1152x648
>>339368669
Empty is completely wrong, they look more organic than Zelda dungeons. What does pointless mean? How are they pointless?

>nothing really telling them apart from traversing the overworld.
So, exactly what Zelda fans are asking for for a decade instead of "open gate, loading time, suddenly in puzzle chamber."

>So you can buy items you don't need
Who decides what you need? It's a game, you don't need shit. It's fun unlocking powerful stuff, optional costumes/skins, completing your collections etc.With money you can learn new techniques that deepen the combat and gameplay, you can even buy an ability that allows you to walk on water which is fucking amazing and makes you feel like an actual god. In Zelda money is completely useless in every sense of the word. How can you even criticise economy of other games when defending Zelda? Everything is better than nothing in that case.

>and moves that in Zelda would have been item specific.
Except almost no item is very useful in combat, let alone fun. Okami also does a way better job at skills such as brush techniques being useful throughout the whole game.

>like that bit where you control the emperor, only to just walk him across the yard, with no obstacles hindering you.
The point was humor. You are literally moving him from hinside his belly, it looks dumb as hell but his goons don't smell a thing.

You also didn't refute anything I wrote here >>339366936 except saying "you don't mind it", maybe. This is the shit that's important.

In this very picture alone you can see more depth and content than in entire zones and on islands in most Zelda games. There is the digging mini game in the backgrond with the woman, there are trees you can let flourish and get luck from whish is always satisfying. There are chickens you can feed. A house you can enter, on top of it that huge orange you can cut for items, trees in the background you can cut, behind the house an otpional island which you can't see etc.
>>
File: comfy.png (201 KB, 620x387) Image search: [Google]
comfy.png
201 KB, 620x387
>tfw a decent Zelda thread on my /v/

I'm having such a comfy time here guys
>>
>>339368647
Zelda fans are incredibly lazy only capable of shitting on other fans for their favorite Zelda.

Still no Zelda general on /vg/ is laughable consindering how many retarded generals you have there.
>>
>>339369397
I know, right? I was literally thinking about how people might complain if, in a modern Zelda, after have traversed an awful dungeon landscape they suddenly dropped onto a giant violin and got attacked by a monster named "Fiddly Diddly". But someone Nintendo made it work in OoT. It was just the right amount of creepy and absurd.
>>
File: 1356732052002.png (30 KB, 190x320) Image search: [Google]
1356732052002.png
30 KB, 190x320
>>339370190
>they suddenly dropped onto a giant violin and got attacked by a monster named "Fiddly Diddly"
>>
File: Redchu.png (22 KB, 151x207) Image search: [Google]
Redchu.png
22 KB, 151x207
>>339369465
I can't hear the word "Disappointing" without also hearing Dark Link bellowing and backflipping now
>>
>>339363459
>always those retarded "redpilled games" threads on /pol/
>this never gets mentioned
>instead Bethesda shit and Souls

Kinda funny.
>>
>>339369939
>>nothing really telling them apart from traversing the overworld.
>So, exactly what Zelda fans are asking for for a decade instead of "open gate, loading time, suddenly in puzzle chamber."

I certainly don't want Okami style dungeons in my Zelda. I prefer dungeons where the enemy combat is integrated with the exploration/obstacles instead of just having battles take place in an isolated arena that is entirely separate from the dungeon exploration.

I would like the Zelda overworlds to become more like Okami's though. That's one of the things I'll agree that Okami did better than any 3D Zelda.
>>
File: 07985487580.png (264 KB, 538x512) Image search: [Google]
07985487580.png
264 KB, 538x512
>>339369397
It does sound silly when you put it on paper but let's recap the build up of Bongo Bongo.
>Yo go to Kakariko village just to find it in flames
>Sheik is already there, the first time we find Sheik rather than "him" finding us
>Something you can't see fucks Sheik up
>A shadow comes out charging at full speed against you
>Screen goes black and only Link screams remain
>Now you enter to this ominous place beyond the graveyard where "is gathered Hyrule's bloody history of greed and hatred"
>After going through Stalfos, Re-Dead, Dead hand and jumping into some Charon ferry shit you get to the boss room
>It's a hole leading you to the abyss where some weird ass monster is waiting for you to play the song of the dead
The whole temple is about Link going deeper and deeper into the shadows, the whole thing starts building up before you even get the temple song. Whoever designed the whole thing deserves a medal.
>>
>>339369939
>Okami also does a way better job at skills such as brush techniques being useful throughout the whole game.

That's just because it keeps giving you simple tasks that happen to use them. There's not really that much interesting about the brush technique most of the time, as they are generally used as elaborate skeleton keys. There's nothing as creatively freeform as, say, the Deku leaf in WW.

>In this very picture alone you can see more depth and content than in entire zones and on islands in most Zelda games.

And Zelda has more intricate structures yet again, with even more hidden details. Okami has no Clock Town equivalent.
>>
>>339368647
>Why do people never talk about Zelda lore?

We used to all the time on the Nsider forums. Shit was way crazier than anything Dark Souls you get now.
>>
File: smartpuzzles.webm (3 MB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
smartpuzzles.webm
3 MB, 640x360
>zelda
>>
File: maxresdefault[1].jpg (45 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault[1].jpg
45 KB, 1280x720
>>339370190
>>339370412
MEANWHILE
>>
File: $_35.jpg (13 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
$_35.jpg
13 KB, 300x300
>>339363459
>The design of the Skull Kids in Ocarina of Time featured black skin and pronounced lips reminiscent of 'darkie iconography' or 'Golliwogs' which are regarded as racist caricatures.

Does anyone have picture of original skull kids?

Also, why are Nintendo such nazis?
>>
>>339370637
Don't see the problem. The puzzle is simple but good. You mean the camera? Yes, it's not needed but it basically is looking at the candles for you so you don't have to do it anymore.

Pretty autistic to criticise it, desu.
>>
>>339370746
>calling that a puzzle

Aonuma, please.
>>
>>339370746
>Don't see the problem.
Did someone forget a unskippable 30 second cutscene that illustrates the problem for you?
:^)
>>
>>339370746
>The puzzle is simple but good
It's a throwaway "puzzle" of no further value that would be right at place, uncommented in a tutorial dungeon.

This is beyond shameful. And the handholding completely ruins any value it would have had.
>>
>>339364683
>Beaches/coasts must be happy

Literal autism and retardation in one
>>
>>339369939

I don't see how they're more organic, really, or how that's a good thing in itself. The Dungeons are crafted by intelligent beings mostly in Zelda games, so it makes sense they're rooms and stuff.

And I'm certainly not the one asking for dungeons to not be clearly set apart from the overworld.

>How are they empty and pointless

You don't fight very many enemies there specific to the areas and you don't find items or encounter very many puzzled that you wouldn't find elsewhere.

To me, they are completely forgettable.

>who decides what you need?
Well I didn't need any of it. That's all I'm saying. I didn't need healing potions and I didn't need whatever else it even was you could buy. Techniques would be more fun as dungeon rewards. I think the money system is worse than Zelda. Sue me.

That said I usually don't need potions in Zelda either, but that's not all you get to use your bottles for. Those are the real currency.

The brush skills were fun, but you NEVER had trouble with how much ink you had, and the puzzles using them were NEVER difficult, or even particularly clever/hard/complex/compelling/satisfying.

>it's humor
Yeah well I didn't get it. I was just disappointed the gameplay change-up didn't come with a challenge.

I don't need to refute your opinion at all. You like Okami a lot, I don't so much. I don't have to battle your conceptions about Zelda.
I very much enjoy that taking time to solve puzzles in Zelda and earn the right to advance. I'm a huge fan of classic point and click adventures as well. Not everyone has to like that shit.

Lastly, I like the village in Okami, but it's not proof of the game being particularly deeper, and on the subject of the digging mini game, that really is fun, but it's an entirely seperate mechanic from the rest of the game, and frankly I'd rather have played the game based entirely around that, however sour and spiteful that sounds.

Okami isn't a bad game, but to me it really isn't in league with Zelda.
>>
>>339370412
The whole temple is literally about how deep goes the rabbit hole.
>>
>>339371102
>the "empty" room with the like-like and the giant swirling invisible blades

Even before equipping the Lens I was like NOPE at the blatant too good to be true set up.
>>
File: 0.jpg (71 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
0.jpg
71 KB, 600x450
>>339370664
>buildup is actually kind of scary, have to escape the ship while it's being attacked by the fucking Kraken
>oh shit we're on deck now time to fight this eldritch chthulu thing or whatever it might be
>Rastafarian cyclops
>>
File: 171021c9ca77fae128e68897256e5bc1.jpg (226 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
171021c9ca77fae128e68897256e5bc1.jpg
226 KB, 1920x1080
>>339370434
>That's just because it keeps giving you simple tasks that happen to use them. There's not really that much interesting about the brush technique most of the time, as they are generally used as elaborate skeleton keys. There's nothing as creatively freeform as, say, the Deku leaf in WW.
This webm alone refutes your point. Gameplay; skills and vertical movement that allows you to think about a solution for the next obstacle while just solving one, brdighing technique into technique: >>339365940

But yeah, no tsaying I don't like the... floating in WW the three times it was useful.

>And Zelda has more intricate structures yet again, with even more hidden details. Okami has no Clock Town equivalent.
Majoras Mask, maybe. That's it, though. And Majoras Mask basically has only one village while Okami has several villages and settlements.

Combine them all and you have something hundred times more complex than Clock Town. But instead we got many different, completely unique places with unique assets.

Although I think I prefer the Sei'an City and its sidequests alone over Clock Town. Those optional sidequests in Okami that reward you with those powerful fire/thunder/wind techniques alone are better than 99% the Zelda sidequests. Not only are they hard to find in the world and fun to solve, they also reward you with something actually cool instead of a heart container.
>>
>>339361417
KOJI KONDOS MUSICAL SCORE THIS IS THAT MASTERPIECE SHIT
>>
File: Ganon and Friends.jpg (158 KB, 640x402) Image search: [Google]
Ganon and Friends.jpg
158 KB, 640x402
>>339369480
It certainly passed through my head a few times before I knew about the -dorf thing, which is to say this thread - I thought they just picked an old-soundey suffix and were trying to make it sound like "Gandalf" but eviller. (then again my child self thought that Link was a shortening of "Lincoln", so what did he know)

Once I realised the Twinrova are just a pair of evil magic Ayn Rands I saw the connections. Ganondorf's model even looks a bit like a muscular Seinfeld at times.
>>
>>339371465
>Although I think I prefer the Sei'an City and its sidequests alone over Clock Town. Those optional sidequests in Okami that reward you with those powerful fire/thunder/wind techniques alone are better than 99% the Zelda sidequests. Not only are they hard to find in the world and fun to solve, they also reward you with something actually cool instead of a heart container.
MM is poor choice of comparison there since the masks are all useful.

SS is the worst because the reward for every sidequest is fucking gratitude crystals or whatever.
>>
>>339370664
See, there's nothing creepy about that. I doubt it ties that well into the dungeon, and it's humourous. It's got a rubbery formless face and is looking at you like you got punted in the crotch and it feels sorry. You yourself don't really want to hurt it, unless its to put it out if its misery.

>>339370676
Right here.
>>
File: datfeel.jpg (14 KB, 400x449) Image search: [Google]
datfeel.jpg
14 KB, 400x449
>>339361313
>mfw i enjoyed this game when it came out and i was like 11 yo
>tfw being completely blown away by this game as a kid
>current and future generations, will never experience games this beautiful, this magic
>tfw born in the perfect time of vidya
>>
File: WATER TEMPLE.jpg (65 KB, 600x516) Image search: [Google]
WATER TEMPLE.jpg
65 KB, 600x516
>>339371102
Damn, I remember seeing some of these a year back or so. Got any more?
>>
>>339366104
Big corporation are the only ones who can afford to make the extremely high costing games now. I know it seems bad but it really isn't
>>
>>339370664
That cant be real... skyward sword really was awful
>>
File: we minish cap now.webm (2 MB, 720x480) Image search: [Google]
we minish cap now.webm
2 MB, 720x480
>>339371000
>I don't see how they're more organic, really,
Then look at them again. TP dungeons are blocky, even in SS. Blocky, Lego like and mostly sterile. They need to be because otherwise the somewhat outdated gameplay doesn't work. Link needs even grounds and ledges for climbing. Meanwhile in Okami shit like this doesn't matter because you can double and wall jump, also dash mid-air.

>or how that's a good thing in itself.
You said dungeons are empty.

>The Dungeons are crafted by intelligent beings mostly in Zelda games, so it makes sense they're rooms and stuff.
So are Okami dungeons. Zelda dungeons look far from realistic or like what people built. They're Lego buildings.

>And I'm certainly not the one asking for dungeons to not be clearly set apart from the overworld.
Well, many did and still do. That's why we got Skyward Sword. Although Nintendo didn't understand that people would love the dungeons to be more like the overworld and not the overworld to be more like the dungeons which led to a literal 50 hours (open-air) dungeon crawling game. It's awful how in Zelda every dungeon follows the exact same patterns. In Okami sometimes you have actual temples that work like Zelda with you entering them and being inside a puzzle chamber and sometimes you have organic places, a ghost or the insides of a dude. And not every dungeon is the same length, the pacing of this game is just perfect, it doesn't get predictable and annoying.

Webm related, you can't even tell if this is supposed to be a dungeon, the overworld or whatever. The only thing that is certain is; it's fucking adventurous.

>I think the money system is worse than Zelda. Sue me.
Just hoping you're (successfully) trolling instead.

>Those are the real currency.
No.
>You don't fight very many enemies there specific to the areas and you don't find items or encounter very many puzzled that you wouldn't find elsewhere.
Well, that's not true. Not sure what else to say.
>>
>>339370664
What is it with Nintendo and FUCKING EYES

They even ruined Majora 3D with that shit
>>
>>339372387
>ruined Majora 3D
>ruined

Funny way of saying "improved in every way"
>>
>>339370664
Boss gets too much hate. From a technical standpoint it was very nice in motion. And cutting its tentacles in half was very, very satisfying. Gameplay was very good, too. The only big issue like with most Zelda bosses is that it was way too easy. And of course the art style in this case.
>>
>>339372131
How do people make this
>>
File: latest[1].png (177 KB, 540x457) Image search: [Google]
latest[1].png
177 KB, 540x457
>>339372387
Skyward Sword fucking LOVED eyeballs.

>fight a ball of lava with an eyeball that you have to hit the eye
>fight a scorpion with eyeballs INSIDE its claws
>fight a giant sky whale afflicted by eyeball tentacle growths
>fight a boss whose title is LITERALLY "Ocular parasite"
>>
File: Phantom_Ganon_(Ocarina_of_Time).png (871 KB, 966x948) Image search: [Google]
Phantom_Ganon_(Ocarina_of_Time).png
871 KB, 966x948
>>339370412
OoT is really subtle with the build up, my favorite is the forest temple.
>Forest temple, for some reason the whole village is filled with monsters, Saria is not in her usual spot, the Poe sisters and then Phantom Ganon
This nigger is not only high point of the forest temple and foreshadowing of what is to come but also serves as "this is where the game starts faggot, time to put the grown up shoes".
>>
>>339372248
>This game I didn't play was awful
>>
>>339372131
Not the same anon, but I found them here: http://www.vgmaps.com/Atlas/N64/index.htm#LegendOfZeldaOcarinaOfTime
>>
>>339372446
>adding that tired eye gimmick they put on every boss
>onto the first two bosses which are some of the only actually good zelda bosses
>improved
Okay
>>
File: 227582.jpg (573 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
227582.jpg
573 KB, 1920x1080
>>339372356
>ghost
*ship
>>
>>339361313
You're a little late, friend.
>>
>>339372610
>fight a scorpion with eyeballs INSIDE its claws
This shit just took it to absurd degrees, why the fuck does it have eyes there? Nintendo need to cut back on this shit and learn how to design boss fights.
>>
>>339367924
Grezzo messed up at art direction, plain and simple. They were too faithful to concept art and not the actual game.

Also, relatively high poly characters will always look off in low poly geometry.
>>
>>339361528
>tfw terrified to run through hyrule field at night
>>
File: Paa6Qie.png (694 KB, 1143x388) Image search: [Google]
Paa6Qie.png
694 KB, 1143x388
>>339372695
>improved every aspect of it's design
>links it visually to Majora instead of it being some random thing
>bad

Okay
>>
File: 53636.jpg (39 KB, 500x622) Image search: [Google]
53636.jpg
39 KB, 500x622
Is Link really a trap according to the leaker?
>>
>>339372967
>putting an out of place eye there is good design
>turning the first two bosses into "hit the eye" is good boss design
No.
>>
>>339361313
Because Zelda threads are almost never about the games anymore but gay, shota and bird loli threads, that's why.
>>
>>339372356
>You said dungeons are empty.
They are. Whether I double-jump or not don't fix that.

I get the organic/lego thing, but I still think Okami dungeons are rather low on architectural thinking and visual design compared to Zelda dungeons.

And I'm not trolling. Money in Okami was stupid. It's not much better in Zelda, but still a little bit. Usually.

I liked the sequence where you were tiny. That was fun.

The one "you motherfuckers, you got me!" moment I ever had in Okami was figurin out that the tiny tree on top of the old man's head had to be circled too. That was pretty neat and out-of-the-box.
>>
>>339373086
Yes
>>
>>339373079
No. Don't be stupid.
>>
>>339373234
I don't get how anyone can think this. The first two bosses are Majora are great in that they're actual fights. The first one you can make a straight up sword duel or you can go deku link and hide in those sprouts then jump up and drop bombs, or you can use your newly acquired bow. There's an actual choice and it feels way more organic.

All the eye does is turn it into literally every other boss ever, completing a prerequisite then wailing on its eye for a while, it's so boring and overused at this point that they need to relearn how to make boss fights.
>>
File: lVyuJE1.jpg (114 KB, 725x240) Image search: [Google]
lVyuJE1.jpg
114 KB, 725x240
>>339372967
>This much effort to make the bosses more interesting

>apparently also effort put into making some things less interesting

I'm sure they had their reasoning. But I'm not sure I'll agree anyway.
>>
>>339365452
Its one of the few ps4 exclusives so it gets an instant goty despite being short and shallow
>>
>>339361313
Like everything else Nintendo, it just becomes a porn dump and muh nostalgia thread
>>
>>339361313
>this shitty bait will reach 500 replies
>>
>>339373989

Noone cares abut the bait, this has quickly become a Zelda general thread.
>>
>>339371769
>gratitude crystals

What were they thinking with that bullshit.

Well actually OBVIOUSLY they were thinking that there'd be a lot more quests around town dealing with making people happy, but when they couldn't finish them all, they end up giving out 20 and 50 crystals left and right or whatever.
>>
File: let me out of this sheit.webm (3 MB, 704x384) Image search: [Google]
let me out of this sheit.webm
3 MB, 704x384
>>339373179
>They are. Whether I double-jump or not don't fix that.
Not sure how the ghost ship is empty. Make i t slightly less empty and you couldn't walk anymore because it would be so stuffed and narrow. Same with Orochi's dungeon, the inside of the water dragon etc.

>And I'm not trolling. Money in Okami was stupid. It's not much better in Zelda, but still a little bit. Usually.
In Okami you have an actual economy system linked to the gameplay and quest design. You can get demon fangs for finishing off enemies a certain way which is a puzzle itself, you can fish which is fun, find treasures and sell your loot. You can buy optional weapons, weapon upgrade items, learn new techniques which deepen the combat and gameplay, you can even buy an ability that allows you to walk on water which is amazing and makes you feel like an actual god.

In WW and TP money is completely useless but because Nintendo wants to implement optional stuff, you have money everywhere. And so money actually gets used, there are money sink quests, either optional (guy in Hyrule marketplace in Twilight Princess, Malo) or linked to the story (Tingle). Although Wind Waker at least has the auction house.

You are factually wrong. Economy is great in Okami while it's one of the most criticised things about Zelda.
>>
>>339373989
>>339374172
How is this "bait"? Are you both 12?
>>
>>339373079
Holy shit, read it yourself >>339364268
>>
>>339368194
> or that content was cut from it
Ice cave. Yeah we all know about the early versions, but even as a kid with no internet or guides something just felt missing in that place.
>>
>>339374665
I am not factually wrong.

Money is not great in Okami.

It does allow you to upgrade in the order you see fit, but as a relsult nearly all upgrades are unnecessary. It breaks the rest of the game more than it adds anythinf of its own.

And it's not and "actual economy" because it only has you as a participant.

Are the money gates annoying in Zelda? Sure, and those rank among the shittiest quests in the games, but they do serve the purpose of actually making you go look for treasure once in a while, unlike Okami, where you quickly build your coffers beyond anything you'd actually ever need, brown rage notwithstanding.

None of the two have particularly good money systems, but to me it was just worse in Okami, as it reiterated my dislike for Kamiya's approach of letting the player buy moves as they see fit, which is just sloppy game design if you ask me.

But you of course don't have to ask me.
>>
>>339375518
>It does allow you to upgrade in the order you see fit, but as a relsult nearly all upgrades are unnecessary.
Which is a good thing. Nothing is forced on you, it's optional and gives players the feeling they're discovering something themselves. Not sure what your problem is. Be more precise.

>It breaks the rest of the game more than it adds anythinf of its own.
Be precise, don't see anything it possibly breaks.

>
Are the money gates annoying in Zelda? Sure, and those rank among the shittiest quests in the games, but they do serve the purpose of actually making you go look for treasure once in a while, unlike
Hardly. There are so manyr upees you usually don't have to look for them at all. And what you get for clearing those quests are heart pieces or even more useless stuff like cheaper goods (Mal Mart) and a money sink armor.

>Okami, where you quickly build your coffers beyond anything you'd actually ever need, brown rage notwithstanding.
I sure need techniques that deepen and extend gameplay possibilities, weapon upgrades, optional weapons, gimmicky, cool stuff like charms that automatically gather surrounding collectables for you, let you walk on water, hold off enemies etc. more than heart containers.
>>
File: happening.png (18 KB, 300x250) Image search: [Google]
happening.png
18 KB, 300x250
15 more days.
>>
>>339366156
Majora's Mask was actually designed to be a challenge for Ocarina of Time veterans.
>>
>>339361313
Because you were not old enough to speak as you speak now with wisdom, courage and power.
We were waiting for you to grow up that we have others to talk to and now you're here. Make more threads OP and we will come to speak to you. Go back into the past, quest long and hard for the hidden treasures that you WILL find and come back here with your tales and exploits.
>>
>>339376581
>Not sure what your problem is. Be more precise.

My problem is that what you're describing is very inconsequential game design. Risk/reward isn't clear. Pregression of ability isn't clear. As a result, the whole game is designed around not needing anything more than the brush techniques to complete it, so a lot of potential complexity in the puzzle solving and combat is lost at the get-go.
>money sink armor
Sure, the money draining armor sucks. That's a completely stupid element to have in the game. They could've done something much more interesting. I didn't use it at all.

>I sure need
From a gameplay perspective you don't. You want them, sure. But the vast majority don't really prove themselves necessary other than saving you time.
>>
I wonder if zelda death by "choose your gender" will be bigger than "ffxiii on 360"
>>
File: tumblr_nuu4tjawF71txulz7o1_500.png (329 KB, 500x524) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nuu4tjawF71txulz7o1_500.png
329 KB, 500x524
>>339370020
Me too, anon. But you'd have to recognize that it's primarily because these anon are discussing Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask. You know what I'm implying.
>>
File: Eiji-aonuma.jpg (59 KB, 269x276) Image search: [Google]
Eiji-aonuma.jpg
59 KB, 269x276
>>339377721
Zelda has a lot more things to worry about killing it than a gender select for your bland personalityless avatar.
>>
File: 1463427949119.gif (3 MB, 338x252) Image search: [Google]
1463427949119.gif
3 MB, 338x252
>>339361417
>ywn be 6 years old again and play ocarina of time for the first time
>>
>>339377856
Am I a time traveler? When I was six, Zelda 2 had just come out.
>>
>>339377347
>My problem is that what you're describing is very inconsequential game design. Risk/reward isn't clear. Pregression of ability isn't clear. As a result, the whole game is designed around not needing anything more than the brush techniques to complete it, so a lot of potential complexity in the puzzle solving and combat is lost at the get-go.
How could the techniques, weapons and charms you can get possibly benefit puzzles? Maybe the water running thing but that's about it.

This doesn't make any sense.

>But the vast majority don't really prove themselves necessary other than saving you time.
Collecting and completing stuff is fun. New gameplay elements that make you faster are fun. Double jump, , walking on water, pissing on enemy, not having to collect collectables that are near you yourself, not always having to run away from enemies etc. are fun.

Heart containers are only fun in the sense that you complete something but after 20 Zelda games this "fun" really keeps itself within a limit, especially because the games are too easy. As a sidenote, Okami is too easy but has a score system that adds challenge and has the great mechanic that you collect luck like pieces of heart but can decide yourself how to spend it, on health or instead ink or other stuff.
>>
>>339377808
>bland personalityless avatar.

Goddamn, this fucking meme.

Link usually end up displaying more genuine personality that most Protagonists who just won't shut up.

Less said is more said.

Particularly when most game directors are so incredibly shit, so we get so many split personality MCs that can't decide if they're good, bad, or ugly, or whether they're upset or angry or hurt, or navigating the space in between.
>>
>>339377778
OoT's childhood crushes growing up with you is one of those touches that make me wonder if the guys making it had some insane insight on how to make lingering memories over just merely great games.
>>
>>339378460
Koizumi did write the story for ALttP, LA, OoT, and MM. Miyamoto did include the idea of adding girls to the story because he thought it was important to the story of a boy growing up.
>>
File: braveperson.gif (66 KB, 500x331) Image search: [Google]
braveperson.gif
66 KB, 500x331
>>
>>339378707
Koizumi always did strike me as a waifufag.
>>
>>339369331
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C382wc4StOw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IljKQ1BdHKI
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 129

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.