[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What do you think of the Nintendo GameCube Broadband Adapter?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1
File: Gcbba.jpg (75 KB, 500x334) Image search: [Google]
Gcbba.jpg
75 KB, 500x334
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_GameCube_Broadband_Adapter_and_Modem_Adapter

Basically, it is an online adapter for a few gamecube games so you can play either LAN or online.

Such games include:

Kirby's Air Ride: (LAN)
1080 Avalanche: (LAN)
Mario Kart: Double Dash!!: (LAN)
Phantasy Star Online Episode I & II: (Internet)

Phantasy Star Online Episode I & II Plus: (Internet)

Phantasy Star Online Episode III: C.A.R.D. Revolution: (Internet)

Homeland (Japan only): (LAN & Internet)
(which in my opinion is the best game here)

Does anybody in this board know anything about Homeland?

Also, LAN games can be played on Internet.

''Soon after Phantasy Star Online Episode I & II was released for the GameCube, it was discovered that a PC could be made to simulate the conditions of the server that the game would connect to. This information started as a method of tunneling the online service. When simulating this server, unsigned code can be streamed back to the GameCube, allowing homebrew, or information to be streamed back, allowing one to play copied games. This was also utilized to allow online gameplay in games for which it is not intended. Early dumps of GameCube games were created using this technique. From there, methods of running the games off of a computer through a GameCube were created. Nintendo and Sega responded by releasing the Plus version of the game.''

''LAN games can be played on the Internet with third-party PC applications such as Warp Pipe and XLink Kai that allows online play of these three games by tunneling the network traffic through a computer and across the Internet.''
>>
>>339326701
Unfortunately I had 56k back in the day so I have the modem, if I had a BBA I'd at least be able to play on private servers with my old PSO characters.
>>
>tfw the adapter is $80
>nintendont doesnt support usb ethernet adapters for PSO2

Makes me sad
>>
Should have been standard on the system. Nintendo didn't see the money in online gaming and essentially ceded that to their competitors.
>>
I loved it. PSO was basically the first game I ever played online. I still think PSO holds the rank for most hours of a game played for me.I had multiple 100h+ characters, and repeatedly had them corrupted
>>
I have one because I found it at a used shop for 20 bucks, I'd like to use it someday to play Mario Kart with too many players. Maybe at a con someday.
>>
it's still kind of weird that PSO has an active community to this day. IIRC Kirby's Air Ride and Mario Kart DD are still used to adapter tournaments. Not sure about Homeland though. Although it IS a fantastic game.
>>
>>339326701
Anybody remember Warp Pipe where you could tunnel Kirby's Air Ride, 1080 Avalanche, and Mario Kart: DD to play online? I remember they had a campaign asking Nintendo to enable LAN for StarFox Assault so people could play online but that never happened.
>>
>>339326701
Disappointment. This could have been a real game-changer for Nintendo and it was completely squandered. We could have played Pokemon on this thing one generation early!
>>
>>339329543
PSO is still going on the GC on private servers? That's cool, but honestly, you might as well move over to Blue Burst.
>>
>>339330368
People just like the idea of it being on the Gamecube. But yeah, it's still active.
>>
>>339330879
I'd actually be into it if I still had my system. Maybe I should look into it. Most expensive thing is probably the broadband adapter now.
>>
I feel like I really missed out on something great not getting into the Phantasy Star games. I knew about the online capabilities for the GC but never go the game or adapter to do it, and the one on the 360 interested me after playing the demo but I didn't want to pay the extra cost to play online. I was really hoping for PSO2 to be localized.
>>
>>339326701
I own the 56k modem and two of the broadband adapters.

I was still using 56k until 2005, never bought any of the psos so the modem was a complete waste of money.

But the BBA was damn worth it, we had a few MKDD 8 player lans. It was a blast, though it was limited in how you selected the characters.

Such is the life of a nintendo fan, always chasing after what the competition is doing. But nintendo refused to change.
>>
>>339328704
I remember when forum threads used to need 56k warnings.
>>
I believe this was the same sort of thing done with the Dreamcast. I'm not entirely sure.
>>
I happened upon an old ghetto game store after living in Brooklyn for some time and found two of these, still in the packaging just hanging on the wall. I asked the owner how much he wanted for them and he said he'd give both to me for a grand total of $20. I picked them up and installed one into a GameCube I got from some kid who worked in a different game store, said he found it literally sitting on the street one day and hooked me up with that, melee, and a basic memory card with all the characters unlocked for $40. I gave him one of the adapters as a thank-you, since he had a fairly decent game collection including a sealed Earthbound, and we smoked together and he introduced me to Project M for the first time.
godspeed, Lewis. I wish we could have hung out more
>>
>>339329265
>multiplayer is a large seller of the n64

online multiplayer? pfft who needs that

IT"S THE CUSTOMERS FAULT!
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.