[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Magic aiming reticle
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 103
Thread images: 13
File: soul_stream_3.jpg (533 KB, 998x805) Image search: [Google]
soul_stream_3.jpg
533 KB, 998x805
Why is there no aiming reticle for magic in this game? I've played through the entire souls series and each time a new souls game came out I thought, maybe this game they will have some common sense and add a way to aim your magic beyond using the clusterfuck binocular aiming system.

How hard would it be to implement the ability to old down the cast button for an aiming circle to pop up and use the right analog to move it around to aim where your spell casts?

It wouldn't suddenly make magic OP like the "I'm scared of change" fags will surely come to argue. You can still lock on and cast or binocular aim if you prefer, or if you're highly skilled you can use the option to manually aim your spells as you are casting them and fire soul spears in front of where they are rolling or quickly aim at someone out of your range.
>>
The game really could use an aim feature like this.
>>
Why not 2h a catalyst and have l1 as manual 1st person aim
>>
Magic/Ranged weapons are janky shit in Souls.

Ideally, they'd work like Dragon's Dogma
>>
they had it in the Dark Souls II beta but then they removed it
>>
>>339281826
>he cant even use the right "laughing girls" image

Nice
>>
Because this isn't call of duty you fucking crybaby.
>>
File: 1379838346959.jpg (71 KB, 520x599) Image search: [Google]
1379838346959.jpg
71 KB, 520x599
>>339281212

How am I supposed to block with my catalyst then?
>>
>manually breaking pillars with soul arrows during the dragon god fight on your first playthrough as a royal because you're a little bitch and don't want to die

Harder than you might think.
>>
Shitty console port so no
>>
>>339282335
fag
>>
>>339280064
but free aim isn't hard...
>>
>>339281663

For some fucking reason. Everyone bitches about the graphics downgrade but they literally removed game mechanics that would have made spell casing not boring shit. As I recall you even had the option to charge spells up or two hand the catalyst too. But no, they went back to the shitty system they always use.
>>
Probably because there's no reason to aim your spells. During the normal game the only time you ever have a target you might need manual aim for you have all the time in the world to set-up your binoculars or its a really huge target like the power within leech or greatwood's fungus. In 3 there's even shotgun fireball and crystal rain to catch all the ambushing enemies or items hanging up above/below you.
In PvP no one ever uses precision spells anyway. You want something that has homing properties or such a gigantic hitbox that people can't just roll through it.
>>
free aiming is more rewarding.
>>
>>339281663
Source?
>>
Is sorcery is 3 worth using? It's amazing how garbage it is in 2.
>>
File: laughingatu.jpg (134 KB, 446x400) Image search: [Google]
laughingatu.jpg
134 KB, 446x400
>>339282189
>He thinks there are "right" images
>>
>>339283220
Unlike 2 where you get soul spear in the 2nd area of the game, 3 has you wait until the grand archives or profaned capital to get any sort of damaging spells. All the unique spells are worse than ever. At least the damage through the game is comparable to swinging around your weapon, but it's slightly worse because you have to take so long casting each spell.
If you want good damage with little cast time you'll get pyromancy and rush through farron keep to get your endgame spells right away.
>>
>>339283468
Lol what a fag. Had to still do exactly what he asked huh?

Fucking faggot
>>
>>339283220
It is, but only late game. In particular Pyromancy and Dark Magic is great, Sorceries are kinda iffy since there's a lot of fast targets in the game and they all shoot straight but there's a few passable ones, offensive miracles suck but utility miracles are amazing, as usual.
>>
>>339283618
Fair enough.

Another question though. I hear Moonlight Greatsword is pure shit in 3, but I also heard there were some balance adjustments. Still shit?
>>
>>339282305
>Blocking
>>
>>339283830
It's not pure magic damage
>>
>>339280064
dont know if this has been posted yet but you can aim with a bow/crossbow and switch to magic shit to aim. the spell will go in the direction you were aiming with the bow
>>
>>339283830
If you want to use it it's probably fine, on my character I was using the pontiff's cool magic buff sword for a while.
But the truth of the matter is that if you want to deal damage stay away with all weapons with multiple damage types because the way enemy armor works is super dumb. If you don't have like 250+ elemental damage it gets reduced to almost nothing. Your buff spells are different because they change your damage type but instead of splitting your damage in 2 it just adds extra damage to your basic attacks depending on your stats.
It's really a shame because all the weapons with unique movesets can't be buffed making them pretty awful unless you're a 40 str/dex kind of build.
>>
>>339283097
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUKUvNs4SC0
>>
>>339285126

Why the fuck was that taken out, and why the fuck can't we do it in Dark Souls 3?

Well, I know why we can't do it in Dark Souls 3. Miyazaki the Hack wanted the game to be as close possible to Ds1 so that means throwing out anything that Dark Souls 2 did right and avoiding any new form of innovation to give us the most "nostalgic" experience possible. Fuck Miyazaki.
>>
>>339285946
>throwing out anything that Dark Souls 2 did right
Its possible to throw out nothing?
>>
>>339280064
>>339282529

Removed for game balance and almost no other reason. You think it's easy to cheese the game with a bow now? What if you could spew nukes that kill large enemies in one hit from well outside their aggro radius?

Just be thankful you can still aim spells even at all. They could have made them travel on odd trajectories when you don't have a lock-on.
>>
>>339285946
>Why the fuck was that taken out
Game balance.

Especially the "heavy casting" mechanic where you could eke even MORE damage out. Imagine hexes on day 1 where you could have" heavy casted" great resonant soul or dark orb?
>>
Uhh, have you ever played a souls game or do you just watch people play on Youtube?

You can still "spew nukes that kill large enemies from well outside their aggro radius". Equip the any bow, crossbow, or binoculars, aim at your target, switch to staff and fire. It goes right where you aimed. It is clunky and inconvenient. Having the ability to aim directly with your catalyst doesn't have any effect on cheesing PvE when you already can, it just less convenient for the sake of being less convenient, but it doesn't stop you at all.
>>
>>339286664
>You can still "spew nukes that kill large enemies from well outside their aggro radius".
>>339286664
>Uhh, have you ever played a souls game or do you just watch people play on Youtube?
Do you have even basic reading comprehension skills? Because it sure looks like you missed the part where I confirmed that spell aim is still something you can accomplish.
>Having the ability to aim directly with your catalyst doesn't have any effect on cheesing PvE when you already can, it just less convenient for the sake of being less convenient
Which is the whole point. If you wanna take your sweet time and spend a bunch of effort lining up free-aimed shots, that's your prerogative. But they aren't gonna go out of their way to make it easy for you.
>>
>>339286916

But it already is easy.

>Equip binocular
>aim
>fire spell

What we want is

>Aim
>Fire spell

One extra step has no effect at all on PvE. It costs maybe one additional second to binocular aim your spells. Adding manual aim to catalysts has no effect on PvE.

Since you're either unskilled, don't play the game, or both, you can't comprehend this.
>>
>>339280064
>I've played through the entire souls series and each time a new souls game came out I thought, maybe this game they will have some common sense

Hah, I bet you thought they'd add a minimap or even a compelling story! How naive of you.
>>
free aiming is pretty easy tbqh. you can get the hang of it.

youre fucked when you try to free aim up or down tho. not to mention casting animations possibly throwing you off ledges if youre trying to snipe down.

yeah theres a shit ton of horribly counter intuitive barriers that people learn on their own thru trial and error (prepare 2 die :---D) and seeing as how this hasnt changed for 3 games.... yeah.

i gently offer thee a git gud, as there really is no other option.
>>
>>339287205
>One extra step has no effect at all on PvE
It has a huge effect. The lack of convenience means it's harder to execute.
>. It costs maybe one additional second to binocular aim your spells
Binos don't even have a crosshair. So you have to equip and then eyeball the center of your screen and then hope that was good enough. It's not something most players bother with or ever consider.

If there was a full on aiming system, noobs would be able to trivialize the game with ease. As it stands, only experienced players even really know about spell aiming. If you could aim, people would have been sniping the whole game with any spells they could find. Removing the mechanic was important for PvE balance.

>Since you're either unskilled, don't play the game, or both, you can't comprehend this.
I guaran-fucking-tee I've logged more time in these games than you and know more about them too.
>>
File: shadow tower abyss.jpg (52 KB, 640x448) Image search: [Google]
shadow tower abyss.jpg
52 KB, 640x448
No crosshair is the norm for from software. Just aim better.
>>
File: 1462805845867.png (96 KB, 847x551) Image search: [Google]
1462805845867.png
96 KB, 847x551
>>339286185
>functioning poise
>multi viewing bloodstains
>snow sticking to your body when you rolled in it

DS2 has massive problems but it wasn't completely busted.
>>
>>339287863
wtf, is this a from game?
>>
File: gitgud.png (235 KB, 398x359) Image search: [Google]
gitgud.png
235 KB, 398x359
>>339287615
>I guaran-fucking-tee I've logged more time in these games than you and know more about them too.

I guarantee you haven't and I'm better than you. Anyone can cheese PvE in this game. Spells can currently do it with binoculars. The f act that you think this is some sort of barrier shows your lack of skill, anyone can binocular aim effortlessly.

Even without spells, you can just summon 3 phantoms and have them beat the entire game for you. Cheesing the PvE is trivial. If they were concerned with PvE being cheesed they wouldn't have given world masters 3 phantoms and a 30% health bonus against invaders.
>>
>>339283468
>mocks anon for wanting the right picture
>posts the right picture
literal cuck
>>
File: Internally raging.png (919 KB, 1024x576) Image search: [Google]
Internally raging.png
919 KB, 1024x576
>>339283618
>Playing my Pyro/Sorcerer
>I had killed the Crystal Sages and chose that Crystal Shower whatever spell
>It was fucking awful and hit no one
Fool me once, shame on me.
>Kill Stray Demon
>Decide I'm gonna try the Heave Boulder spell from his soul instead of the Havel Ring
>It's fucking terrible
>>
>>339288131
>that pic
saved. made me sad. pray for the DLC, boys. thats about all we can do.

>rolling while locked on
this is the most noticeable for me, its stuck in my muscle memory. ive been doing a LOT more nolock on battles in das3.
>>
>>339288649
>Soul vortex got changed into a pyromancy some how.

It's kinda disappointing sorcery got so few interesting spells and just sat on using crystal sorceries again.
>>
File: laughingsluts.jpg (244 KB, 1200x800) Image search: [Google]
laughingsluts.jpg
244 KB, 1200x800
>>339283468
>he still didn't post the right picture
>>
>>339288835

Thank Miyazaki for deciding to take no risks with the game and simply make it as close as possible to DS1. "I'll just remake DS1 with better graphics, reuse the same animations, reuse the same weapons, reuse the same levels, reuse the same enemies, and hardly innovate at all, and these idiots will eat up the nostalgia and hail me as the greatest director of all time!"
>>
>>339283220
But magic is strongest in 2
>>
>>339289581
>a third entry in a series is similar to the first game and not the shitty sequel
Damn, I'm a #DarkSouls2Cocksucker now.
>>
>>339288252
>I guarantee you haven't and I'm better than you
That would make you wrong.
>PCfag
Yep. You've already lost. I've logged over 2000 hours in BB and DeS alone. Not to mention how I've put in 600-ish hours into each version of DaS1 and DaS2 on PC and consoles. Then we have to add in my current playtime for DaS3 which stands around 600 hours. I'm a NEET and have been for the lifespan of this series and this is my favorite pastime. You can't win.

> Spells can currently do it with binoculars.
Against stationary targets and with time and space to line up the shot.
>the fact that you think this is some sort of barrier shows your lack of skill
No, it's a fact. If you have to mix two mechanics to get it done, it's a barrier. A barrier that will keep the average PvE player from abusing it.
>Even without spells, you can just summon 3 phantoms and have them beat the entire game for you
Yes but magic is already easy mode. Enhancing it's sniping capabilities would only increase level of convenience seen in a magic playthrough.
> 30% health bonus against invaders.
You're a fucking moron. This is a PvE discussion, invader HP differences have literally nothing to do with this.
>>
File: 1435950754770.gif (388 KB, 406x364) Image search: [Google]
1435950754770.gif
388 KB, 406x364
>>339290353

>he posts a screenshot
>you post nothing

ok

>oh yeah well??????? i've played over -3000- hours so your opinion is worthless
>>
Remember aiming in Nioh?
Yeah, gimme that.
>>
>>339290773
There's no way to show you screenshots of all my cumulative playtime anon. That's what happens when you play the series on literally every platform it's been released for. Except XB1

You got into a fight and tried to make it a dick measuring contest. You lost. My experience with the series dwarfs yours. You look like an idiot now.
>>
I can't fucking believe there are actutally people that think being able to AIM would make the game too fucking easy. It would be piss easy to simply shorten the range on magic, or make enemies actually try and dodge or block projectiles, or make enemies notice you after taking the first shot, or SOMETHING.
>>
>>339291029

lmao i'm not even that dude but ok

>b-but i can't prove the thousands of hours i've played........

then why should anyone believe you
>>
File: we network test now.webm (2 MB, 840x472) Image search: [Google]
we network test now.webm
2 MB, 840x472
reminder that dark souls 2 had this
>>
>>339291242
Because I have zero reason to lie about things on an anonymous cambodian leather tanning forum.
>>
>>339280064
just put a dot on your screen.

try drawing a dot on the sticky part of a post-it
>>
>>339290353

>B-but, no I'm better, I have more experience, b-believe me! I think aiming with binoculars is really hard!
>>
>>339291314

so you can appear more knowledgeable to people you will never ever meet

by that logic, everyone tells the truth on the internet
>>
>>339291246
nice mod
>>
>>339280064
imagine playing a shooter game without a reticle
>>
>>339291440
>so you can appear more knowledgeable to people you will never ever meet
I didn't try to bring skill or experience with the game into the discussion. That was the other guy. I merely explained to him how fucking wrong he was.

>>339291424
It's not about how hard it is to do. It's about keeping it out of the hands of average players aswell as making sure it's only useful as a tool against stationary targets. It's pretty hard to snipe a patrolling enemy or on that's crossing terrain to get at you.

>>339291516
Lots of people do that. Usually only in games with iron sight or scope mechanics though.
>>
>>339291667
i could own you loser im the best and
>>
>>339291781

idiot............you probably dont even play as many Videogame as me sell ur xbox....
>>
>>339291853
FRICK!! u got me
>>
So wait...

I remember everybody shitting on DS2 because DS1 was like the epitome of what a 'good game' is, and DS2 destroyed everything.

Now I hear you guys say DS3 is disappointing because DS2 had better ideas and was more fun. Can you niggers make up your mind?

Also, what the fuck was the lore in DS3 supposed to be? Was it intentionally designed to make it feel like an HD release of DS1 with every same item and NPC?
>>
>>339280064
DS 2 had it in beta but they removed it for some reason.
>>
>>339291667
>Lots of people do that. Usually only in games with iron sight or scope mechanics though.

Killzone 2 on Elite difficulty <3

>>339292191
Anon if a fourth game were to release people would whine how DS3 is better and how much shit DSNext is.

I'm now just gonna wait till all DLC to release for DS3 and game to be fully patched.
>>
>>339288484
>literal cuck
why cant people like you get hit by a bus on their way to highschool or something?
>>
>>339281826
someone got killed by 1 too many hexers
u mad bro?
>>
>>339292191

Making builds in DS3 just doesn't feel as fun as DS2 or DS1. Invading people in DS2 was alot more exciting and had lots of potential for stupid shenanigans. Even alot of the areas were more fun, if less visually appealing, then DS3 areas.

DS3 has the potential to be a really good game, despite the reused armor and weapons and stupid pandering, if they could just fix the broken features and balance things out more. I've played alot of DS1 and 2, but lately I've had zero incentive to play 3, and I'm only hoping the DLC can restore my faith in it.
>>
File: 1386030563509.jpg (43 KB, 625x626) Image search: [Google]
1386030563509.jpg
43 KB, 625x626
>>339282517
>>
Pick up a melee weapon and fight like a man, buttercup.
>>
>>339286185
what is power stance
>>
>>339286298
>Just be thankful you can still aim spells even at all

Its useless as fuck tho since spells have shit fucking range.
>>
>>339292191
Because people complain about the cons while the pro's tend to be either understood or overlooked. Each new game has a new set of pros and cons and the cons tend to stand out the most. DS2 had a good poise system while DS3's is garbage. Complaints against DS2 are still valid but it raises the point of why the broken things in DS3 that weren't broken in 2 are there in the first place.
Look at poise. It's completely valid to go "So what was wrong with poise in DS2?"
>>
>>339292591
>not even 100 hours in DS3
>Wanted to 100% achievements like I did in past titles
>found myself playing it as more of a chore than enjoyment after entering NG+
>Guess I won't get the achievements since I'd have to go through NG++ anyways

I'm so glad I'm not the only one feeling this, but at the same time it's a horrible feel.
>>
>>339288835
are you talking about the chaos bed spell? cus thats just forbidden sun from 2.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylIXhcVAP08

>You will never be this gud
>>
>>339292878
I actually don't see many differences between poise in DS2 and DS3. I remember in DS2 I made a build that was a naked caestus dual-wield and I could stunlock even havel armor guys with L1 spam.

Though it's been a while and my memory is shit so maybe it was different.
>>
>>339292987
It has a nice vortex spin to it but you're still right.
>>
>>339293261
It was basically half hyper armor half poise thing.
You'd take less poise damage while swinging weapons. The reduction value was different for every weapon class.
>>
>>339292941

I know man. After how much I was impressed with Bloodborne, but also let down with the somewhat lessened degree of replayability, I really just wanted them to do something different instead of yet another Dark Souls sequel. I didn't want to be pandered to, I just wanted a new experience. The way the story played out in Dark Souls 1 was fine, and it didn't really need to be expanded upon that much. They could've done something completely different but instead they played it safe for sales. Oh well.
>>
>>339292941
You don't have to get to NG++ for achievement trophy (yes I am talkin' bout rings).
>>
>>339292597
casual
>>
>>339280064
The same reason there are so few bosses that aren't big thing swing big sword
Even the fucking dog boss had a sword
They couldn't decide if they wanted a sword based action game or a fantasy rpg
So they fucked it all up and called it compromise
>>
>>339292191
Did people have the same complaints from Bloodborne over DS2?
>>
>>339291104
Enemies aggro after the first shot of anything. It woukd change nothing.
>>
>>339288649
Crystal Shower sucks, but Heave Boulder is awesome since it has that big critical for attacking enemies on a lower elevation.
>>
>>339294246
How then?
>>
>>339282271
/thread
>>
>>339295219
Friend. It needs some time but you can throw all remaining rings on the floor, take it up, get achi and then give them back. I did that with Wolf Ring due to retarded covenant.
>>
>>339280064
Binoculars.

:^)
>>
Is it just me or did anybody notice a horrendous lack of player invasions/encounters after NG+? I used to be able to get summoned as a white/blue spirit within seconds, now it feels like a wasteland devoid of life
>>
>>339286185
power stance, weapon balance, good covenants
>>
>>339280064
Magic isn't really a big option in DS unless it is a buff. They didn't really think it through because they wanted people to focus on roll>roll>roll>roll>strike a few times>roll for their entire boss fights and etc.

You want magic? Play Dragon's Dogma or another game that actually cares about magic.
>>
>>339296083
Off hand L1 attacks rather than block
>>
>>339297004
>Parrying dagger's L1 is a block
why
>>
>>339296083
Covenants were shit in DS2. Both reds and blues didn't have access to a full orb. Rats and bells were pointless since you could just teleport from the beginning, you didn't have to keep going to the areas they guarded.

Only worthwhile covenant was the one you needed awestones for and it was still pretty crap.
>>
File: 1462939045252.gif (932 KB, 258x258) Image search: [Google]
1462939045252.gif
932 KB, 258x258
Am I the only one that's been wanting From Soft to add like an over the shoulder camera for when you're aiming down with a bow or caster?

I hate how when you go first person it's just a reticle on the screen, like you've turned invisible.
>>
>>339297392

I hate it too, I want aiming to still be third person. It just looks cooler and feels better.
Thread replies: 103
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.