[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>That kid who wrote a college essay about video games What
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 62
File: smugkorra.jpg (23 KB, 489x489) Image search: [Google]
smugkorra.jpg
23 KB, 489x489
>That kid who wrote a college essay about video games

What was yours about and what kind of grade did you get on it?
>>
mine was about WoW
i got a C
>>
>>339277080
I wrote mine about End War the
book

I think I got a B, but a C in the class. I feel like an ass for writing about it now.
>>
File: 1455784145919.png (121 KB, 258x241) Image search: [Google]
1455784145919.png
121 KB, 258x241
>doing something like that EVER
>>
>>339277080
Misogyny in video gaming. I even cited Anita.

I'm not joking
>>
Papers Please in a module for art history

I got a First
>>
>>339277080
I wrote about TES series and Todd Jeward and got an A.
>>
Did a final paper on metal gear solid. Got an A. The liberal arts are a joke.
>>
wrote a paper about the correlation between violent media and real world violence
there is none
>>
>>339277080
I wrote about endersgame (the book) and the futility of man fighting off columbus style alien invadoers
>>
Standard "Violence in videogames" when I was like 15, it was okay
>>
I wrote an argument paper about video games being art.

I got an A and the professor used the paper as an example of an excellent argument paper for future classes.
>>
>>339277080
>my thesis was about minecraft
>I got a first
>it wasnt even a STEM subject
>>
Mine was on mlp.

I got an A-
it was a speech essay too
>>
>>339277080
In my undergrad, I wrote a capstone paper on Journey and its significance as a postmodern piece, with focus on the empty signifiers within the game. I got an A and the teacher went on to write my recommendation letters for grad school, citing that I produced work she'd be happy with at a thesis level.

In grad school, I wrote about how League of Legends employs a trauma-based model in order to build value and addiction in users and I got a pass in the course.
>>
>>339277531
Details, anon, details.
>>
File: 1435558594856.png (75 KB, 325x244) Image search: [Google]
1435558594856.png
75 KB, 325x244
Not college but in high school, I did my public speaking project on whether you should buy or skip Halo 3 ODST

Please, if some anon here happened to be in that class, believe that I have changed and am not the same sperg I once was
>>
File: 1428297574886.jpg (80 KB, 402x402) Image search: [Google]
1428297574886.jpg
80 KB, 402x402
>>339277080
I was that kid
the game was Halo Reach
>>
>>339277080
Did a paper about Casualization in the Video Game Industry.

Got an A dog. The teacher was just like "Wow what an original topic.
>>
>>339277080
It's better than being that kid who wrote it about pot
>>
>>339277916
How is Journey postmodern? I'm not criticizing, I'm just curious what your reasoning was because I never considered Journey to fall in that category. Spec Ops: The Line, Bioshock, and MGS2 are definitely cited as postmodern but that's my first time hearing Journey.
>>
>>339277080
Who even goes into a field where writing on video games is somehow an acceptable topic?

Almost all my essays in college were mostly on constitutional legal doctrine. My professors probably wouldn't even accept a video game topic.
>>
File: 1461770733416.jpg (121 KB, 553x692) Image search: [Google]
1461770733416.jpg
121 KB, 553x692
I wrote about child development and the different role videogames can take depending on a child's financial circumstance (ie a form of entertainment safe from gang life in urban American environments)
I wrote all 10 pages in about 3 hours and got a B+ so not bad at all
>>
File: Something.gif (809 KB, 300x169) Image search: [Google]
Something.gif
809 KB, 300x169
>>339278046
>>
I wrote about videogame piracy, got an A
>>
>>339278135
ummm... any college, you dipshit?

The point isn't to gauge whether or not you can pick an interesting topic, it's to assess whether you've learned how to properly write an essay. If you really went to college, no one would need to tell you this
>>
In 2007 when I graduated high school I wrote my college entrance essays on video games and how passionate I was about them and how they're a multibillion dollar industry and they're going places.

I didn't get in
>>
>>339278135
Pretty much every writing, English, and speech class in the world has professors who don't give a shit what the subject of your essays are as long as you follow the guidelines of the assignment.
>>
>>339278046
Cancer. Pasta like this is stale now, you need to actually make it believable.
>>
>>339278281
>Cancer
Summer is in full swing.
>>
>>339278094
Postmodernism is literally a meme word and even professors of literature can't cohesively define it.

It's basically a term you attach to something to make it seem 'deeper'.
>>
i wrote about the victimization of female migrants and got an A+
>>
>>339278046
not nearly as funny as peanus weanus. You tried
>>
File: 1186494.gif (2 MB, 235x180) Image search: [Google]
1186494.gif
2 MB, 235x180
>>339277080
>Mfw almost wrote an essay about the first Halo game when i was in elementary school
>At the last minute teacher manages to convince me to write about cats instead
Dodged a fucking bullet there
>>
>>339278046
>/gsg/
well that explains it
>>
>>339278346
Postmodern refers to a work that makes reference to itself and its own medium. If a game makes a statement on video games as a whole, it's postmodern.
>>
>>339277080
Got mine out the way in sixth form. It was just 8000 words on the history of games, which got pretty much nothing.
>>
Never wrote a college paper on a video game, but I did hold a lecture during an academic symposium about Pathologic and it's use of theatrical metaphor. I was surprised to see the mostly 50+ years old art theoretics and theatrical critics to be quite captivated and showing a lot of interest.
Recently I revisited the subject and I'm hoping to get it through on a more game-oriented conference in fall.
>>
>>339278332
(You)
>>
I wrote about whether or not violent media effects children's behavior. Video games were mentioned, does that count?
>>
>>339278539
Isn't that just being meta
>>
>>339277080
I had to write a compare+contrast essay

I compared Esports to real sports

I was a little surprised when I got an A. My teacher was like 70 and had never played a video game in her life but she was really impressed by the pictures of the crowds, prizepool monies, and viewer counts
>>
>>339277080
Sexualization of females in videogames is false
Got an A, prof even told me I had very strong points.
It was also the first time I went on FemenistFrequency, I fear I will eventually succumb to the taint and die because of it.
>>
>>339278539
That is probably the single most questionable definition of postmodernism I've ever heard. By that logic, Jacques the Fatalist and his Master is a postmodern work.
>>
>>339277080
wrote the meet the spy video script
>>
In Year 12 English I used one of the ps1 Final Fantasy games as an example in one of my essays, can't remember the subject matter but I think the game was FF8. I've never even gotten more than 5 hours into that game. My essay was around 300 words under the limit and I still got a B+. After class I talked to the teacher and she said I made just as good an argument as the other students in the lesser amount of words, and my example carried weight just as much as theirs did. I only did it because I had no fucks and had a week left, but things went surprisingly well.
>>
>>339278794
I'd like to read that paper.
>>
>>339278539
>Postmodern refers to a work that makes reference to itself and its own medium

No, that's called breaking the fourth wall.

>If a game makes a statement on video games as a whole, it's postmodern.

No, postmodernism is a rejection of modernism. Video games already exist in what was classically known as the modern era. So a video game that 'makes a statement' (let's ignore for a moment whether it is possible for any video game *not* to make statement of some kind) or a critique of a video game would more accurately be termed as post-postmodernism.

So in summary, nobody knows what the fuck they are talking about except attaching 'postmodernism' to things to make it sound deeper. Seriously. You were doing it just then.
>>
Why MGSs story was good. Got a Solid A
>>
Wrote one on Cho Aniki.

Got an 83%.
>>
File: 1442660205749.jpg (87 KB, 671x499) Image search: [Google]
1442660205749.jpg
87 KB, 671x499
>>339278094
It's mostly in the ways that Journey handles identity, narrative, and its signifiers (such as the 'language' and images in the game).

Journey employs a narrative that, at first glance, seems linear, but the ending tells us that it is a plateaued and rhizomic experience--and assemblage of several 'Journeys' infinitely spanning forward and behind us.

The entire game communicates through imagery and symbols, most of which have no intrinsic significance. It's only through the meaning that we attach to them that they gain any. That's what I'm talking about with empty signifiers--you can create an entire 'language' of chirps and musical sounds with one player, but it is arbitrary and there is no way of knowing that the other player knows your intent and, furthermore, it won't carry from one player to the next.

Even your avatar is a faceless character who, on first glance, seems unique, but it identical to the other players you'll run into. Identity becomes blurred in a lot of ways, both in the imagery and in the narrative of the game.

I could write more explaining how these are all postmodern concepts, but it'd take awhile. Postmodernism focuses a lot on there being no true 'identity' to a thing, that everything only has significance because we assign that significance to it. There's also a lot of postmodern writing on reflection/mimicry/simulacrums that really echoes with what's going on in Journey.
>>
>>339278890
*classically known as the postmodern era

Just a fix there to clarify
>>
I wrote about DRM and how it's objectively shit.

Got a B, had a few grammar mistakes.
>>
>>339277080
I didn't write a college essay about video games because I was doing a real degree.
>>
Two years in college and I haven't had to write a paper more than 2-3 pages. With the exception of lab reports but that's different.
>>
>>339279078
>I was doing a real degree.
We know is wasn't an english major.
>>
>>339278921
>Journey employs a narrative that, at first glance, seems linear, but the ending tells us that it is a plateaued and rhizomic experience--and assemblage of several 'Journeys' infinitely spanning forward and behind us.

Absolute gibberish.

>The entire game communicates through imagery and symbols, most of which have no intrinsic significance. It's only through the meaning that we attach to them that they gain any

Congratulations. You have described virtually every single piece of stimulus in the universe. See: Simulacra and Simulation by Jean Baudrillard

>I could write more explaining how these are all postmodern concepts, but it'd take awhile. Postmodernism focuses a lot on there being no true 'identity' to a thing, that everything only has significance because we assign that significance to it.

That's not what fucking postmodernism is. You aren't even close.
>>
>>339277080
I wrote it on the terrible practice of season passes and DLC along with the trend of games being released unfinished, and kickstarter scam projects

I got a C
>>
oh shit i have a 100 word essay due tomarrow
what topic should i pick in history
>>
>>339277080

I wrote about ESRB in a media class.

The topic was about media regulation so it was actually on point though.
>>
Fighting game community, professor kept trying to make me put in gamergateshit
>>
>>339277758

Same thing. I got a B because I can't put my thoughts on paper.
>>
For an English project my senior year, I did a powerpoint comparing Chrom to Beowolf

I got a 98 on it, would have gotten a 100 if my music didn't fuck up
>>
>>339279431
the history of my dick in your mom
>>
>>339277080
I wrote an exhaustive critique of the mainline Fallout series. Wound up getting A's on all of them but Fallout 2, for which I got a B+. I was evaluating them less as games, specifically, and more as pieces of "interactive media," however.
>>
>>339278890
>No, that's called breaking the fourth wall.
Not entirely accurate, as far as I can tell. Many works can acknowledge or refer to itself and it's medium without breaking the fourth wall. Fourth wall breaking means directly acknowledging the presence of the audience and his context - which is often done by self referencing or referring to the medium. A fourth wall break occurs when an actor, for an example, suddenly states: "Yeah, I know am just an actor that you all came to see here in the theatre."

>or a critique of a video game would more accurately be termed as post-postmodernism.
Also not accurate, because when post-modernism speaks about rejection of modernism, it specifically states rejection of the philosophical and cultural trend and ideas associated with modernist and enlightenists thinking. Most games are not post modern, even if they were created in an era after modernism ended. In fact most games are still made up on assumptions and philosophies very much similar to those of the so called modernism era.
Postmodernism in art and narrative is -simply put- a philosophy that celebrates and stresses out plurality and relativity of perspective, complexity and plurality of interpretative codes. It rejects the notion that meanings are fixed, but rather stresses out that meanings are co-created and projected by readers and recipients.
>>
File: image.png (733 KB, 640x1136) Image search: [Google]
image.png
733 KB, 640x1136
Did a presentation of the fgc for a media class and my friend brought a melee set up for the class to try
>>
File: 1456813256810.gif (486 KB, 353x117) Image search: [Google]
1456813256810.gif
486 KB, 353x117
>>339278539
No. That's just something that's meta or, possibly, a deconstruction. Derrida had a boner for using deconstruction in order to show that modernist texts had postmodern ideas, but deconstruction =/= postmodernity.

>>339278346
A lot of faggots will use the word in that way, but as someone who's done a shitload of research into postmodern rhetoric, I know what I'm talking about.

You are right that even professors have difficulty defining it and that's for two big reasons:
1. Postmodernism focuses heavily on a lack of definitions. Modernism insists that there is a 'truth' or 'definition' to things. Postmodernity rejects that and insists that we assign these values.

2. French theorists REALLY like to write about Postmodernism in a way that employs Postmodernism. The form follows function and all that shit. In reality, this makes understanding their work a real pain in the ass because there's no definitive thesis or any shit like that most the time--you just have to read the whole thing and understand it through osmosis.

So, when the leading theorists explain Postmodernity not in one sentence, but in a performance-like piece that's 100 pages of dense french-asshole writing, it makes condensing it down into modernist definitions kind of a pain in the ass/impossible for people that don't understand it.
>>
>>339279302
jameson get out
>>
File: 1454228920871.png (127 KB, 450x450) Image search: [Google]
1454228920871.png
127 KB, 450x450
>Gaggle of faggots decide to do their final presentation about My Little Pony one semester
>Assignment was supposed to be, between a group of 5 people, about 15 minutes at most
>They go last out of all the class and they stretch theirs out to be almost 30 minutes long
It was physically painful to be in that room,and I'm 100% positive that everyone besides them felt the exact same way.
>>
File: 1460660642646.png (31 KB, 143x198) Image search: [Google]
1460660642646.png
31 KB, 143x198
I wrote about how violence in video games didn't inspire children and teens to commit real-world violence. The only negative effect violent video games had, when comparing research, was an increase in aggression levels, but there's no solid link between violent video games and real world violence.

It got an A, but I probably just went to a shitty college. I initially wanted to write about censorship in the video game industry and the whole business with GG and vidya journalism, but outside of the two parties making a big stink at each other, there's no hard evidence/books/whatever on the subject.

If you want to write about vidya, just find something with lots of evidence, really. Don't just write about your favorite game or whatever.
>>
>>339279302
>That's not what fucking postmodernism is. You aren't even close.
Actually, outside of the pretentious gibberish and use of big words, he is right: that is what postmodernism actually really is about.
>>
>>339279916
Wasn't it less violent videogames and more frustrating videogames that actually cause that increase?
>>
Never have. CS major with all my English credits handled by AP credits.
>>
File: Apple Rose pastry.jpg (510 KB, 1747x879) Image search: [Google]
Apple Rose pastry.jpg
510 KB, 1747x879
>Went to culinary school
>"Essay" was writing, pricing out, and executing an Oktoberfest buffet for 100+ people, while leading the rest of the class to prepare and serve it.

Fuck Universities. Paid off my debts a few months after leaving school and worked my way up the kitchen.
>>
What third rate school was this, OP?
>>
File: 1.png (25 KB, 1256x318) Image search: [Google]
1.png
25 KB, 1256x318
>>
>>339279735
There is another reason why postmodernism is fairly difficult to comprehend and explain: it's self-contradictory bullshit and crazy ravings of mostly complete idiots who came across a problem, and instead of tacking it, started raving about the end of the world and shitting their pants.
Postmodernism gave birth to some truly great literally works and at times to decent architecture, but ironically enough everything that was ever good postmodern art was also discretely contradicting the philosophy: the philosophy itself is just pure, unmedicated shit and it's frankly embarrassing that half of the academia regards it as relevant and applicable.
>>
>>339277943
>on whether you should buy or skip
Holy shit, you literally did an irl YouTube video hahaha. Bravo anon.
>>
>>339279697
>Many works can acknowledge or refer to itself and it's medium without breaking the fourth wall

Breaking the fourth wall doesn't have to be explicit but can be implicit. For example, a character in a theatrical performance may treat the audience as another in-universe character.

MGS2 implicitly breaks the fourth wall; for example the AI Colonel doesn't tell the audience to turn off the game console but tells Raiden.

> it specifically states rejection of the philosophical and cultural trend and ideas associated with modernist and enlightenists thinking
>Postmodernism in art and narrative is -simply put- a philosophy that celebrates and stresses out plurality and relativity of perspective, complexity and plurality of interpretative codes

Are you saying that modernism rejected 'plurality and relativity of perspective, complexity and plurality of interpretative codes' which is embraced by postmodernism in its own rejection of modernism?

Please. You have utterly no idea what you are talking about and neither does your professor. Go jerk off with your effectively meaningless pseudo-academic buzzwords (due to rampant misuse) elsewhere.
>>
>>339279302
>Absolute Gibberish
No? The game makes you think you're playing a unique journey, up until the end, when you realize that your Journey is only one if infinitely similar Journeys. Maybe you should read A Thousand Plateaus by Deleuze and Guittari.

>You explained every stimulus, read this work you cited in your paper.
Yeah no shit, faggot. Journey, however, performs the empty signifier in a way that's more clear-cut for its player. If it just used English, it wouldn't be performing it, even though English is just a language of symbols as well.

>Not even close
I'm talking about Postmodernism in Rhetoric. Postmodernism in architecture or some shit is completely different. Although now I don't know if you're being a difficult faggot because that's the nature of Postmodernism or because you're a difficult faggot.
>>
I think I wrote about ADOM and roguelikes in general once, and John Carmack but I can't remember anything related to grading
>>
>>339277958
I want underages to leave
>>
I reviewed a girl classmate's essay on Kinect, back in 2009 when it was called project Natal.

She argued that body motion control would immerse people more in game violence which would lead to people mistaking reality for a game, or something. It was a long time ago.

Turns out no one likes flapping their actual arms when playing action games.

My essay was about lab-grown meat being ready by 2020, so I guess both our predictions were pretty far off.
>>
File: meme essay.png (62 KB, 698x588) Image search: [Google]
meme essay.png
62 KB, 698x588
>>
>>339278145
That's actually a pretty good way to go about it. Props anon, not too spergy at all. Would read.
>>
>>339277548
A first what?
>>
>>339280020
Most of the research cited examples from the usual suspects, when it comes to violent video games, like Grand Theft Auto and Call of Duty, so I can't say for sure. Interestingly enough, they also cited games that supposedly helped teens "not feel aggressive", such as Portal 2 and Tetris. I'm pretty sure Portal 2 and Tetris can frustrate quite a few people, but they're not "violent" games according to the research so, whatever.

I cited in my essay, since it was for an argument paper, the whole business with the Sandy Hook shooting, since Lanza was obsessed with Dance Dance Revolution and not with violent video games. I also stated that parents should be more involved with what their children play and not just say "WELL, HE'S A GOOD LIL' BOY, LET'S JUST SIT HIM IN FRONT OF GTA ALL DAY, THAT WILL BABYSIT HIM!".

Half of the dumb shit that kids do anyway, IMO, is because of poor parents.
>>
>>339277080
I had to take an English class my freshman year and just phoned it in. We had to analyze a piece of media, the teacher said it could be from any type of media, so I chose to analyze the NES Megaman games and the way the gameplay was slowly added upon and refined between each entry in the series. Got a really high A for that, I guess the teacher didn't give much more of a shit than me either.

I don't regret it since I didn't have to read it aloud or anything, but I do regret calling Inafune the father of Megaman in said essay.
>>
File: stupidfinal.png (3 KB, 1457x64) Image search: [Google]
stupidfinal.png
3 KB, 1457x64
Literally just did this and got an A.
>>
File: 1444777594938.jpg (729 KB, 2000x2000) Image search: [Google]
1444777594938.jpg
729 KB, 2000x2000
>>339277080
I'm a PhD student in Media Psychology. I study interactive media and entertainment media but the bulk of my research is on video games and player-avatar relationships. Several of my papers have been published and presented in conferences. I think the lowest grade I ever got was a 92; I'm pretty passionate about it.
>>
>>339280368
Gonna have to agree with you.
The amount of academic masturbation over Postmodern art, writing, and rhetoric is annoying.

I think it's fairly interesting shit and that some games (like Journey) employ Postmodern ideas n ways that are enjoyable, but there's a lot of rubbish to wade through otherwise.
>>
>>339280551
fake af
>>
File: image.jpg (107 KB, 825x612) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
107 KB, 825x612
I wrote about integrity in gaming journalism and got a B

This was before gamer gate
>>
>>339280438
>A Thousand Plateaus by Deleuze and Guittari.

Oh, I see you've embraced the nonsense for your arts degree. There's no point arguing further with you.

It would be like trying to convince a Scientologist that thetans don't exist.
>>
During a required art class, the teacher asked what games are commonly considered. The students answered with skyrim and minecraft, and he called them idiots. I didn't say anything because of powerlevels.
>>
>>339280741
>media psychology
Ah hahahah
So you're literally studying a trash meme degree?
>>
>>339280821
>ME NOT GET BIG WORDS! YOU STOOPID!
>>
>>339280390
>Breaking the fourth wall doesn't have to be explicit but can be implicit.
Actually, no. Not all metanarrative elements are breaking the fourth wall: breaking the fourth wall, by definition, going all the way to Stanislavski who defined the term, has to be explicit.
In your example, it's still explicit: he does not address the player directly, but he EXPLICITLY ACKNOWLEDGES him by making a reference to something completely outside of the diegetic space.

>Are you saying that modernism rejected 'plurality and relativity of perspective
That is not so much something that I had said, as it was something postmodernism accused it off. But in general, yeah: modernist beliefs were heavily leaning towards universalism and absolutism. Realistic literature or positivism are pretty fucking blatant examples of that.

>You have utterly no idea what you are talking about and neither does your professor.
Are you fucking serious now? Also, you really are one aggressive insecure little fucking faggot. You must be a joy to your teachers.
>>
it seems like you think that postmodernism is a movement of sorts. what makes you think that? aren't the "postmodern" artists out there simply making pastiches of postmodern culture? isn't consumer culture the real postmodern?
>>
>>339277080
I wrote my master's thesis about videogames.

It was about narrative structures and techniques in videogame. Stuff like wether videogames are able to tell stories and if so, how they do it. Got 80%
>>
I did a marketing presentation about Nintendo a couple years ago, only because a girl was doing Xbox.

It was weird
>Professor asks what each person will do it on
>Girl raises her hand and says Xbox
>Figure I can do gaming if someone else is as well, especially because it's all I know
>Same girl raises her hand and asks to do Playstation (So she would do Xbox and Playstation)
Still no idea why she said that.

Got an A on the presentation.
It was fun, I learned Nintendo actually had a machine before the NES. No one ever seems to talk about it.
Also showed off Sega's NINTENDONT because for shits and giggles.
>>
>>339280945
meant to quote
>>339280368
>>
File: 1464273068254.png (36 KB, 728x758) Image search: [Google]
1464273068254.png
36 KB, 728x758
>>339277531
I did the same shit when Gamergate happened, it was perfect for Sociology class. Easy A, still one of the dumbest topics to come about gaming. I just finished my 2 years so I have no more english classes to talk about shit a neofagger would care about making a million views on that one thread
>>
>>339280623
>Half of the dumb shit that kids do anyway, IMO, is because of poor parents.
It's a bit more complicated than that. It's less that kids do dumb shit because of bad parents and more that they continue to do increasingly dumb shit because of bad parents. Kids are going to fuck up no matter what - that's just adolescence. How they respond to those fuck ups is much more dependent upon the environment they grew up in.
>>
Not me but a kid in one of my English classes at community college (I was running start, he was just there) did his paper on why video games are art, using The Stanley Parable as his prime example. Not only did I have to proofread the kids paper, this was one of those big things where you also had to give a presentation on your paper.

Needless to say I cringed through just about all of it. No one in the class had the slightest clue or interest in what he was talking about. Was this one of you?
>>
>>339280784
It's not. For an example - and don't take this personally - your analysis of Journey is rubbish, you just jerked off the rethorics and then said a few vapid truisms that can be said about every single game in the universe. That is always the case when you apply postmodern analysis and philosophy to anything. It's profoundly self-contradictory and results in uninformative half-truths and jerking off.

Yeah, surprise, surprise, meanings aren't absolute. Congratulations on figuring out something Wittgenstein nailed down fifty years before Rorty or Derrida. It's hilarious how you can see the entirety of postmodernism proposed, analyzed, exhausted and then rejected twenty years before it was officially proposed in a 15 pages long story by Borges.
>>
File: image.jpg (89 KB, 537x452) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
89 KB, 537x452
>>339277080
>that kid who hated you for no reason
>>
>>339280887
It's pretty interesting. I get access to a lot of new technology and, from a marketing perspective a lot of companies want to know our findings regarding how and why people using media and they they relate to media figures or entities. I'm purely in it for research and academe, but becoming a layman makes a lot of money. The scholar who identified the Proteus effect, which is fairly central to not just my research, but the entire study of video game and psychology, left the academy only a few years after getting his doc to go work for Ubisoft, making hundreds of thousands a year.

But to do so is really looked-down upon by academics. He still does research but it doesn't get published in journals often because when you're funded by a game company, it's hard to take your interpretation of the data as impartial.
>>
>>339277531
Are you me? Pandering to feminism is so easy.
>>
I'm not a faggot, so nobody outside my family knows I play video games.
>>
>Start playing autism tier flight sims
>Learn how helicopters work
>I do a presentation on them, everyone is genuinely interested in it strangely enough, get an A.
>>
>>339279431
That's less than half a page so anything
>>
Bioshock. I acknowledged it was pretty shallow but lauded its effort at representing a dystopia.

A-
>>
>>339281013
>Still no idea why she said that.
YOU FUCKING RETART.
SHE WANTED TO CLOAB WITH YOU
SHE
WANTED
YOUR
DICK
>>
I wrote about 4Chan and got an A+ so I don't really care.
>>
>>339281324
Eh, I shouldnt be so harsh. Psychology and media studies just usually trigger me as most of them seem to be worthless handwaving stuff. I'm sure there are actually good ones but you know how it is, gotta trash everything for some shitposting.
>>
>>339280438
>No? The game makes you think you're playing a unique journey, up until the end, when you realize that your Journey is only one if infinitely similar Journeys. Maybe you should read A Thousand Plateaus by Deleuze and Guittari.

You've got a point here but you're really reaching. The existence of infinite journeys doesn't negate the importance of the one that the player takes. The game--even it's title--is almost entirely inspired by Joseph Campbell's Hero with a Thousand Faces, and there's a much more accurate argument to be made the the "thousand faces" he describes are the faces of the players. This is especially notable because you work with other players. It's not a twist like you say it is at all.

>Yeah no shit, faggot. Journey, however, performs the empty signifier in a way that's more clear-cut for its player. If it just used English, it wouldn't be performing it, even though English is just a language of symbols as well.

Did you even play the game? Your analysis sounds like you just watched it. Either that or you're dead inside. The fucking symbols signify particular concepts like death, trees, levitation, and so on. You stupid slut. You only think the symbols are empty signifiers because you're too stupid to interpret what they're signifying. Go read Baudrillard. The arbitrary nature of a sign doesn't inherently negate it of meaning.

>I'm talking about Postmodernism in Rhetoric. Postmodernism in architecture or some shit is completely different. Although now I don't know if you're being a difficult faggot because that's the nature of Postmodernism or because you're a difficult faggot.

Different faggot here. You're just really terrible about interpreting PoMo and you really need to stop.
>>
>>339280938
>but he EXPLICITLY ACKNOWLEDGES him by making a reference to something completely outside of the diegetic space.

So how do you know that it was a reference to something outside of the diegetic space instead of just gibberish within the diegetic space formed by a malfunctioning computer?

>modernist beliefs were heavily leaning towards universalism and absolutism.

Modernism always rejected univeralism and absolutism in religion and ethics, which are classically regarded as the sources of epistemology anyway. So what is postmodernism left with?

> Also, you really are one aggressive insecure little fucking faggot. You must be a joy to your teachers.

I'm just trying to demonstrate how full of shit academic discourse on postmodernism is. This isn't being difficult. It's a reality.
>>
>>339277080
wrote about game addiction for a high level research class, got an A lol
>>
>>339281058
Yeah the GG shitfest was horrible, I just wanna forget about it ever happening
>>
>>339281453
thought so
>>
I had to write fifteen 3-page essays about anything I wanted to write about last semester.

Every last one was about video games. I am glad they were all due on the last day of class, because I just dropped my writing portfolio off at my professor's desk and wished to never see the things I wrote ever again. I got an A in the class so they were probably not as bad as I had thought.
>>
>>339277080
I just finished a college course on video games. It was probably the easiest A I've ever gotten. Wrote two 10 page reports, one on video games as art talking about story-telling and all that and the financial climate of Triple A and indie games. Got As on both because the professor liked me and I'm a decent writer. /v/ would probably shit on it because I wrote mostly about Half-Life 1/2, Metal Gear Solid, The Last of Us, and The Walking Dead and how they all tell their story through gameplay.
>>
>>339281412
I bet you kiss girls you enormous faggot
>>
>>339280821
>He argues that a game reflects the sensibilities reflected in a text
>Absolute nonsense!

I'm not saying I believe the shit.
Sorry to have upset you, master-theorist.
>>
>>339280945
> what makes you think that?
Not him, but all post modern theory, down right to it's manifesto (there are several of them). They clearly and unproblematically defined themselves as a philosophical movement. One that is, by the way, out-dated and rendered irrelevant, even though sadly, due to certain amount of moral capital it accumulated, a lot of people refuse to acknowledge.
>>
File: bb.jpg (135 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
bb.jpg
135 KB, 1920x1080
>>339280592
>he did get first place for all his papers
>>
>>339277916
Do you mind posting your LoL paper?
>>
I wrote my 10,000 word dissertation on how social media and digital marketing are far better tools than traditional marketing from looking at video game industry.

Got a 2:1, just short of a 1st.

Not bad considering I wrote 8000 words the night before it was due.
>>
>>339277080
i took a internet and online community history class my senior year of college. i forgot to take a history credit so i chose some 0 effort retarded class

the final project was to research an online community in groups and write a 40 page report on it. my friend and i forgot to go to class on the day that groups were assigned. when we went to class the next day, we got put into a random group that decided to research bronies. the other groups chose something awful, league of legends, mortal online, and some other dumb shit

it was a shit class
>>
>>339281660
I agree. than goodness moot banned all GG discussion and got those sexist shitlords off our site.
>>
>>339281838
>>339277548
what backwards third world country grading system is this
>>
>>339277160
Same.
>>
>>339277531
this

easy A if you have a liberal teacher
>>
I wrote a college essay in circa 2007 about how broadband capable, hard disk drive enabled consoles like Xbox 360 and PS3 could be used to run applications which stream television content over the Internet, either in tandem with satellite broadcasters or by offering services of their own.

This was before the days of Netflix and all the video streaming apps than are now standard on consoles.

I got a low C I think. Lecturer was a cunt.
>>
File: 2421413122.jpg (49 KB, 599x399) Image search: [Google]
2421413122.jpg
49 KB, 599x399
Not vidya but

>The impact of Japanese and Western cartoons in the modern world
>Got a B
>>
I did my Speech class Final presentation on Dance Dance Revolution, brought in a TV, PS2 and home gamepad and discussed the context of the game, its benefits, then gave a demonstration of how to play. I actually got a really good grade, and that teacher was a nazi. The class loved it though.
>>
>>339280716
What was it about?
>>
>>339280851
commonly considered what? holy shit
>>
>>339281306
It's all G, man.
You got this real boner for tearing down Postmodernism. I guess it runs contrary to your field of study?
>>
We were each assigned a different tale from The Canterbury Tales, and I was lucky enough to get the one that Dead Money was based on. It was pretty fun, and I actually got a 99.4, if I recall correctly.
>>
>>339281940
UK universities.

3rd is the lowest, usually 50% or lower
2:2 (2nd classification, lower bracket) is around 60%
2:1 (2nd classification, higher bracket) is 70%
1st classification is 80%+
>>
>>339282057
Let me guess
Film studies
>>
>>339282243
Media, near enough my man.
>>
File: 1366314672003.jpg (68 KB, 1135x1017) Image search: [Google]
1366314672003.jpg
68 KB, 1135x1017
>>339280536
>She argued that body motion control would immerse people more in game violence which would lead to people mistaking reality for a game
>>
>>339277080
i wrote about history of GPUs.
>>
I didn't write anything about only vidya, but I wrote a paper and had a paragraph about mass effect. Essay was on various media's and how they interact with the user. I dont remember exactly, I think I got in the low 90s on it.

It was before ME3 ruined it
>>
File: image.jpg (694 KB, 1920x2716) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
694 KB, 1920x2716
>>339277080
I wrote a paper called "Strategies for local video game retail shops to remain relevant", it's more about how ma and pa shops can remain competitive against digital giants such as Steam and g2a instead of being about a specific video game by itself. I got an A-, was really proud of that paper tbqh.
>>
>>339282134
Not that guy, but postmodernism runs contrary to pretty much every field of study.
>>
File: 47.jpg (73 KB, 500x333) Image search: [Google]
47.jpg
73 KB, 500x333
>>339277080
In high school I wrote about how I developed logical thinking and programming skills thanks to Garry's Mod (Wiremod).
>tfw the teacher gave me that "I'm older and smarter than you" look, "that's nice anon I'm sure your game was very fun. C+"
>tfw 23 years old now and making $46 an hour thanks to being one of the few in my industry who has programming skills
>I'm probably making double what the teacher was making
>>
>>339281320
>the kid who kept smiling during your presentation making you feel like you were doing really badly
>>
>>339282134
Postmodernism doesn't have much of a point beyond the rejection of modernism, and it's getting pretty cynical and tired at this point.
>>
WR121 or whateve at CC, I wrote a creative paper about traversing Anor Londo with the twist at the end that it was all just a video game playthrough. I got a B+ on it.

300 level game theroy economic class, I wrote about game within a game, which was pretty much about H1Z1, and how players interacted. Got a B+.

Actually turned out alright man, you just gotta write well enough.
>>
>>339281631
>So how do you know that it was a reference to something outside of the diegetic space instead of just gibberish within the diegetic space formed by a malfunctioning computer?
Not even worth acknowledging, really.

>Modernism always rejected univeralism and absolutism in religion and ethics, which are classically regarded as the sources of epistemology anyway.
It had rejected fundamentalism or religious truth, but replaced it with universalism and positivism of reason, logic and by it's very end, science. It's also a movement that introduced such bright ideas as cultural evolutionarism, author-imperative reading and many others.
Which is something that postmodernism deeply rejected. And by the way, don't get me wrong, I'm this guy: >>339280368 I don't have exactly high regard of the movement, but you are just simply arguing against historical and academic facts.

>I'm just trying to demonstrate how full of shit academic discourse on postmodernism is.
By being full of shit yourself. Congratulations. Being a moron is not going to make postmodernism bad in comparison. Postmodernism is SHIT, but for entirely different reasons than you seem to think, and the fact that it's a bad philosophy does not make you suddenly right.
>>
>>339281765
well, the only one I've read is Jameson's, which, as in the title, argues that postmodernism is the cultural logic of late capitalism. is that part of the manifestos you mentioned?
>>
>>339282143
Ooooh. I didn't know Dead Money was based on one of the Tales. Which one was it, anon?

Also, what school? This assignment sounds familiar.
>>
>>339282380

Oh shit, I mentioned Mass Effect in my most recent paper as well. We had read the Penelope Fitzgerald novella "Offshore", and since me and a friend were both dissatisfied by the ending I decided to write about what constitutes a "bad ending".
>>
>>339280551
>300 words
>answer 4 questions
that's like 1000+ words minimum in any decent essay
>>
>>339281910
lul, k. I was pro-GG. But in hindsight it was just a cringefest.
>>
File: 1456668452555.jpg (84 KB, 508x504) Image search: [Google]
1456668452555.jpg
84 KB, 508x504
>>339277548
>DEGREE IN ART HISTORY
JUST
>>
In 5th grade we had to write a short one page paper about what we did over the summer

>I wrote a paper about Runescape and all the stuff I got to do with membership
>>
>>339282438
>Trying to make autistic STEMlords less disgusting and retarded by teaching them about humanity is a bad thing.

See you on the next "tfw no gf" thread, autismo.
>>
>>339282134
>You got this real boner for tearing down Postmodernism. I guess it runs contrary to your field of study?
I have, because postmodernism is next only to Marxism in the sum of most destructive philosophical concepts in history. It has little to do with my fields: I did philosophy and social anthropology mainly - though I did spend more time reading on cognitive sciences and somehow, I ended up in general linguistics.

This is not a problem of field, this is actually a problem of common sense. Epistemic relativism does not solve problems. Postmodernism is trying to transform it into an fucking ethical virtue. It's essentially promoting ignorance and arrogance at the same time.
>>
File: 1464110792698.png (115 KB, 474x200) Image search: [Google]
1464110792698.png
115 KB, 474x200
>>339282203
80% first...try getting a 93 here for first
>>
>>339282659

It was the Pardoner's Tale, but I highly doubt we went to the same school, since my graduating class was under twenty due to it being a dyslexic school.
>>
File: tom-clancys-ghost-recon.jpg (60 KB, 790x593) Image search: [Google]
tom-clancys-ghost-recon.jpg
60 KB, 790x593
>>339277080
Realistic military shooters, how they show military service and battlefied completely differently than action movies and games.

Back then "realistic military shooters" meant Operation Flashpoint, Rainbow Six and Ghost Recon.

got 5+ out of 6.
>>
Not technically vidya but I wrote a paper about the MTG novels back in highschool. Got an A and the teacher into MTG.
>>
I wrote an essay about my parents' shit taste and them buying a Wii; got an A.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1NxA_nOqV37yN_2hKPqf7FBOrxL2X6v5eSGfR38cLdYM/
>>
File: image.jpg (139 KB, 1368x768) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
139 KB, 1368x768
>>339277080
>wrote about how Videgames can be considered a fine art back in 10th grade
>got an A+ but read it a few days ago and realized how big of a fucking idiot I am
JUST
>>
>>339282784
Again, agreed. Seeing a bunch of sexless nerds trying so hard to slut shame an innocent indie dev just because she's a woman was cringe as fuck. I'm glad that whole "movement" is relegated to some fledgling chan that no one remembers.
>>
>>339282947
Our education system actually has standards though
>>
>>339277080
Class was full of League faggots. I wrote about eSports being obnoxious and not being a real sport.

Got an A+. No effort was put into it, as it was written the morning it was due. I regret nothing except not getting coffee on the way to class.
>>
>>339277080
In highschool I gave a speech about Tiberium sun. I cringe when i go back and think about it.
>>
File: 1461456067648.gif (932 KB, 258x258) Image search: [Google]
1461456067648.gif
932 KB, 258x258
>>339282203
>1st classification is 80%+
Casuals
91 here.
>>
>>339277916
Lol paper sounds interesting
>>
>>339282617
>It had rejected fundamentalism or religious truth, but replaced it with universalism and positivism of reason, logic and by it's very end, science

Nietzsche was emblemtic of modernism (his works essentially provided a summary of modernism up to that point, including coverage of philosophy leading up to modernism) and yet he hardly endorsed positivism.

Hell, he created perspectivism which he explained in his discourse was a theory reaching all the way to Plato. Wait, what's this? A modernist philosopher is embracing something that sounds like it belongs to postmodernism. Could this really be? Or maybe...just maybe...postmodernism didn't achieve anything except to become an absurd parody of modernism.
>>
>>339282618
I was thinking more of Rorty and Lyotard, but Jameson flies too.
>>
>>339277080
in 4th grade i had to write an essay about my role model and I chose Genghis khan because I was playing aoe2 at the time
>>
>>339277080
Not vidya, but I did and essay about Neon Genesis Evangelion once, and talked about some other shit like Akira and Godzilla while I was on it. Got a good grade on it, too.
>>
File: X-L1hKUl_400x400.jpg (21 KB, 350x350) Image search: [Google]
X-L1hKUl_400x400.jpg
21 KB, 350x350
Wrote about the feeling of grandscale adventure I got from listening to the great sea theme on LoZ: WW. Got an A+. Aced the class.
>>
>>339282618
just to add, seeing postmodernism through the lens of Jameson, I always thought that postmodern artists were only challenging and bemoaning the notion of the authenticity of expression, especially if we really are living in a simulacra.
>>
>>339281484
>I acknowledged it was pretty shallow
retard, you should've mentioned ayn rand and atlas shrugged. it's deep.
>>
File: 1412960287791.jpg (22 KB, 138x182) Image search: [Google]
1412960287791.jpg
22 KB, 138x182
>/v/ has a better academic discussion than /lit/

This is amazing
>>
>>339283556
/v/ is always better when its not talking about videogames
>>
>>339283556
yes, it happens when discussing topic given board is not autistic about
>>
>>339282998
>all that passive voice and awkward phrasing
I hope that was an intro level course and I hope you're not a writer by trade.
>>
File: 1456473356059.gif (3 MB, 600x324) Image search: [Google]
1456473356059.gif
3 MB, 600x324
>>339283638
This.

/v/ cartoon threads are fucking amazing.
>>
>>339283556
all boards sperg out and shitpost about their topics.
you can talk anime in /tv/ and /v/, try talk anime in /a/, they will throw huge amounts of shit.
>>
>>339283219
>Nietzsche was emblemtic of modernism
No, Nietzsche was a famous guy who happened to live at the end of modernism, but he was in no way a modernist philosopher, or emblematic of the movement. He was, actually, as romanist as it goes. He'd be a metal head had he been born a hundred years later.
Bradley, Freud, Darwin, Comte are the poster-childs of modernism.
>>
>>339277943
I did a speech on the structure and hierarchy of the Covenant because I stayed up all night playing Super Metroid and needed something I could hash out in no time.

Absolutely nobody paid attention, not even the teacher. Which was fine by me, frankly.
>>
>>339283008
You ghazi shills try really hard
>>
File: 1454172159055.jpg (30 KB, 287x335) Image search: [Google]
1454172159055.jpg
30 KB, 287x335
>>339277080
>tfw never did any essays in college
>>
>>339279078
Most people have to take an 1-2 English classes in College regardless of major
>>
>>339282495
It was probably still a shit paper though you pompous twat
>>
>>339283423
>nly challenging and bemoaning the notion of the authenticity of expression, especially if we really are living in a simulacra.
That is definitely not something most postmodern authors, including Lyotard, Derrida, Rorty or fucking Foucault would agree on. Hell, that sounds more like definition of existentialism. Those guys were obsessed with the issue of authenticity.
>>
>>339282143
>>339282659
>>339282958

The coolest part about Dead Money being based on The Pardoner's Tale is that the English word "bet" was first attested by Chaucer in that Tale.
>>
>>339277080
Wrote my first college essay on TF2.
Got a A
>>
Only time I've done something like this was writing about my interpretation of a cd by a metal band I was really into at the time. I got a 100%.
>>
Argued that esports are as valid as real sports. Got an A
>>
god this thread makes me happy I didn't do an arts degree

imagine what it must be like to spend all that time learning words from an academic lexicon that has no application in the real world
>>
>>339277080

I thought the teeth was a pair of nigga lips at first
>>
>>339279656
That's gonna be a pretty short essay then buddy
>>
>>339282787
Art History courses can be taken even if you're not getting a degree in Art History. I know business and CS majors who have taken Art History courses just because they like the professor/thought it would be an easy A
>>
>>339284143
>>tfw never did any essays in college
how
>>
Offtopic (maybe someone can point me to a better board)

Anyone here in the military? I have been considering to join since college isn't doing it for me.
>>
>>339284759
2 years in AF so far, what you wanna know?
>>
File: 1402470617988.jpg (40 KB, 522x287) Image search: [Google]
1402470617988.jpg
40 KB, 522x287
In high school computer apps I did a presentation on Kingdom Hearts.
>>
>>339277080
Difference in video game level design from 2d to 3d games.

This was for a biology class in high school and was actually one of the options.
>>
>>339277080
The link between video games and real life violence.

I fucking dominated that class. Straight As.
>>
I was an instructor at powerpoint training for unemployed and one NEET guy did his about a vidyagame. Then again it was some FPS shit, I think battlefield, so maybe he's more normie than me.
>>
>>339277080

I was scrolling by and thought her teeth were giant white lips like you see in those old cartoons.
>>
File: 1462665429949.gif (490 KB, 408x230) Image search: [Google]
1462665429949.gif
490 KB, 408x230
>>339282495
Jesus christ anon, what job do you have?
How do I get one
>>
>>339277835
oh no
>>
>>339283008

2/10 b8

Be more subtle next time.
>>
>>339284221
so they're challenging the authenticity of identity? the non-existence of truth? if so, isn't that basis all that is needed to understand postmodern works? I understand that postmodern works are probably difficult and unenjoyable for many people, but I still don't get why they are criticized from a philosophical standpoint when their form and content are molded according to the foundation that meaning is never absolute.
>>
test
>>
The most vidya I've done was quote Metal Gear Solid a couple of times, though I wasn't sure who to credit the lines to. I think I just put it down as being said by a Mr. Hideo Kojima.

I also recently got a 78/80 on a research paper this last semester in which I roasted this one SJW fuckhead writer named Junot Diaz. I stopped just short of actually titling it as an actual roast. I think I might have included a few little wording choices that would call up thoughts of vidya. I tend to do that, just hide references in little word choices. Nothing obvious, though.
>>
>>339282508
>i always try to smile at people when they present a speech or powerpoint
>just trying to be encouraging, public speaking is stressful
>could have been fucking them up more

oh god

Relevant to the topic, I'm finishing my senior year so i only needed 2 major-relevant courses this semester, and i took aesthetics as a filler because it worked really nicely with my schedule. Final paper would have been about video games, but I didn't have the patience to write 12 pages relating games (or any subject) to dead European philosophers so I took a NC. I wish this thread was around a week ago, thanks for reading my blog senpai.
>>
I wrote a sixth grade paper about Bionicle and overused the word awesome, but that's all.
>>
>>339284812
Cool AF is where I was thinking of joining.

How do you like it?
What do you even do in bootcamp?
Where the hell do I study for the ASVAB?
>>
File: 5DUeeZC.gif (837 KB, 300x225) Image search: [Google]
5DUeeZC.gif
837 KB, 300x225
When I was in 5th grade Kingdom Hearts hadn't released in the west yet, but my older sister is a huge weeaboo and ordered it online.
I "played" it with her, by that I mean watched.
So when we had to make up a story in class I just literally ripped off KH and got best story in the class and nobody ever knew.

>wow anon you could be a writer
>you should start writing books
>>
As someone who studied Film Studies, I really wished that there was such a thing as Video Game Studies
>>
Not college essay but for my SAT essay the prompt was about solitude. I wrote about superman's fortress solitude and it's importance. I got a perfect score for that section of my sat. Received perfect scores on every section but math.
>>
Greek Gods and the rape of Persephone. I got a 100. I'm baller as all hell at writing essays.
>>
>>339277080
>media studies class
>really far-left women professor
>write about sexism in vidya, pulling it mostly out of my ass and citing minimal sources from the textbook only
>get a 100

gg, ez, played you like a fiddle
>>
>>339285476
>so they're challenging the authenticity of identity? the non-existence of truth?
They challenge any form of epistemic certainty or confidence. So yeah, they basically challenge the very notion of "truth". They believe that instead of one big truth, there should be an infinite plurality of subjective beliefs, all essentially equally valid at any point.
See where that might create a problem? It's the quintessential source of "my opinion is always valid" attitude. Aside from it being just flat out unhelpful, as it cannot, by definition, produce valid conclusions (validity, essentially, is a flawed concept), it actually encourages, ironically enough, simple and ignorant attitudes. There is no external criterion of validity, so why should one strive to improve his own views? It removes idea competition, the most fundamental tool of our belief-improvement and mental progress. Meanwhile it empowers every single fucking idiot, no matter how dumb and personal and poorly justified his views are, to proclaim them equal to theories that have been tested, validated, carefully produced.

It's essentially a philosophical populism combined with apologetism. That is why so many people are pissed at it: two thirds of all post modern authors, Derrida being the most blatant example, were blazen frauds, who literally excused the absolute lack of any credibility of their works by the excuse that they are post-modern. The rest, as it turned out, were mostly dangerous ideologists - Marxism went particularly hand-in-hand with postmodernism that simply used the lack of need for proper epistemic justification to fuel political agenda's, and used it's democratic and individualistic appeal to pander to specific parts of the public.
>>
>>339285860
>what do in boot camp
Just make your locker pretty, march everywhere, and pt in the morning. Try to get in shape beforehand.

There are study guides for the advanced online, and books on amazon.
I like it fine. Money for college, I never have to wonder what I'm supposed to be doing, and lots of time for vidya on the weekend. There's always a few gung ho retards, but if that's not your scene you can ignore it
>>
>>339287125
>advanced
Sorry asvab. Phoneposting right now
>>
>>339282981
I thought akroma had bigger boobs
>>
>all these fucking geniuses ITT

Jesus Christ. I mean, I too tend to get B's or A's writing about topics I'm passionate about but you guys are just killing it.
>>
File: tsubasashocked.jpg (11 KB, 252x264) Image search: [Google]
tsubasashocked.jpg
11 KB, 252x264
>Wrote an english essay in year 10 about animal crossing
>Teacher picks a person at random to read out their essay draft
>It's me
>>
>>339287125
>pt in the morning.
For how long?
How many push ups/sit up/etc do I need to be able to do?
I can do 30 push ups decently.

>>339287125
>There are study guides for the advanced online, and books on amazon.
So you actually bought books for it?

Did ya have to worry at all about them placing you in a shithole country?
>>
>>339277080
I wrote my high school graduating project about video game lore and morality. I got a 9.5, highest grade of all graduates
>>
File: freddy joystick.gif (301 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
freddy joystick.gif
301 KB, 225x225
Post-modernism is the auto-erotic asphyxiation of the humanities.

If done well, with care, education, and practice, it's a great experience that really opens you up to some big concepts and thoughts.

If done recklessly, you do nothing but sputter and gasp with no point while jerking yourself off.
>>
>>339287047
>all essentially equally valid at any point.
Not that I think you have an honest interest and I'm honestly a bit rusty myself, but I remember this being addressed as the most common misconception about postmodernism in the introductory course I took.
>>
>>339277080
>that kid that did a college presentation on memes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fB9QhjuVvBk
>>
I debated whether or not games were art and got a near perfect grade.

I stand by what I said in that essay, although I wished I'd used better games as examples.
>>
>>339287526
How did it go?
>>
>>339288030
Which games did you use?

I wrote an essay about that too but I didn't mention any specific games, I just mentioned games in a general sense.
>>
>>339287996

this, everyone thinks that postmodernism is academic anarchy but if the core of pomo is "there is no meaning but that which we create," then there's definitely differences between good and shoddy meaning craftsmanship.

it's like a flea market art auction or something, everyone brings their own shit to the table that different people may value differently, but obviously the half-baked garbage isn't going to impress anybody
>>
>>339287641
How old are you? The pt scores required are on google. You need more pushups. About 50 minutes of PT every morning unless they changed it. Winter does pt in the afternoon.
I didn't buy any books, but you were asking for guides and they exist. I just took it and scored well.
I don't think I have to worry about a shit hole country. A buddy with a mechanic job is in Japan, and routinely posts pics from places like the pokecenter.
>>
>>339277080
Alpha Centauri

About the accurate predictions it made for the future (2005).
>>
>>339277080
In 9th Grade, I had to write some shit about identity and how the self is influenced by the culture and world surrounding it. I ended up tying in "Neon Genesis Evangelion" and "MGS 2" with "Of Mice and Men" and "To Kill a Mockingbird." I got a 96, so I'd venture to guess it was at least adequately done.
>>
>>339288174
Pretty well from what I can remember, some literal who in my class who never spoke told me that AC was for girls. Surprisingly didn't get any shit for it other than that.
>>
>never did any project on video games because I didn't want to look like a sperg
now i will never know what it is like
>>
File: Doom-II.jpg (2 MB, 2436x3240) Image search: [Google]
Doom-II.jpg
2 MB, 2436x3240
>>339277080
I wrote a five page essay over pic related, the paper was about analyzing an advertisement, what the message was, who the audience was, etc. I talked about Doom's history and controversies, some computer/vidya industry history, the imagery of the Cyber Demon and Doomguy, and just about every little detail in this ad. I got like a 94, I think, and I think I was one of the few people who managed to write five full pages even after the page requirement was reduced to four, cause fuck writing that much about a single advertisement.
I also wrote a generic video game violence paper in high school, with Doom as the focus.
>>
>>339277080
Lack of formal understanding in how computers work and internet safety.
85, my thesis was good but I made a few errors trying to justify it.
>>
>>339288337
I am 23.
Didn't know PT scores were online. Will check it out now.

Is it true never place your number 1 wanted location as number 1? Always put it number 2?
>>
>>339288272
I mentioned the "Would You Kindly" twist in Bioshock to argue how games can reinforce ideas through gameplay.

I was torn between Bioshock and MGS2, but I went with Bioshock since MGS2 could be an entire essay in of itself.
>>
>>339282787
>>339284550
Most colleges require classes unrelated to your major, eg sociology and art classes regardless of the fact you're taking math as your major. I took a creative writing course and got an A, teacher called me one of the most insightful students she's ever had--I shatpost on 4chan on my laptop and made up my answer whenever I was called on.
>>
>>339277160
Mine was also on WoW, it was an assignment for creative descriptive writing.

I got an A. Easy as fuck. Dayum shame it was about Kara though.
>>
File: player-character-images-3.jpg (222 KB, 1300x919) Image search: [Google]
player-character-images-3.jpg
222 KB, 1300x919
Did my final year BA dissemination on how empathy and representation in video games works using GTAV as a case study.

Part of the research had us sit a bunch of people down, watch how the played, and then interviewed them afterwards. We also conducted a survey (pic related) and watched a bunch of terrible movies and tv shows to see what the stereotypical gamer was depicted like (not that I didn't already know). Then we made a short documentary around it, being film students.

We didn't find out anything particularly groundbreaking for people who already play games, but we did lay it out in a way that academics could use. You can read more about it here if you're interested, assuming the site hasn't shit itself again: https://elitegamer.ie/player-character-study-immersion-identity/
>>
File: 1442993823025.png (213 KB, 725x399) Image search: [Google]
1442993823025.png
213 KB, 725x399
>>339277080
Forgot to write a draft for a shitty oral essay, winged it and got a B.
Just thinking back on it makes me want to die
>>
>>339277080
I didn't waste money going to college.
>>
File: sweat.png (59 KB, 327x187) Image search: [Google]
sweat.png
59 KB, 327x187
haven't written an essay but i'm a media studies major working to become a professor and i want to write a book about Horror in video games and what makes interactive horror (in a game) so much more complex than other horror (movies, etc.). also, the term "genre" seems flawed because video game genres rely much more on what the player DOES rather than how it presents itself - "platformer," "shooter," "racer," etc, as opposed to the filmic "drama," "comedy," etc. horror is a duplicitous term, because there are horror games - games designed to instill horror - and games with a horror aesthetic, like Castlevania and Zombies Ate My Neighbors

i kind of want to research how Horror - as a sensation instilled in the player - has been achieved in video games since the very early days, breaking it down into common mechanics and how those mechanics have been demonstrated and evolved in video games as a medium at large. i also want to answer the question of why people PLAY horror games, since so many design decisions inherent to successful horror rely on disempowering, confusing, and punishing the player

because everyone can think of things in video games that scared them that weren't necessarily "horror" or in a "horror game" - so what is the common thread?

tl;dr: i have a theory that Horror, in video games, isn't so much a genre as it is the result of the combination of different mechanical choices. i want to pinpoint those mechanical choices and chart their evolution throughout the medium, from baby steps like Haunted House to innovators like Sweet Home, 90s masterpieces like Clock Tower, the action-horror boom arguably launched by Resident Evil 4 and the unending wave of "psychological horror" and jumpscare factories we have today
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 62

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.