[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is it worth playing or should I just jump to 3?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 79
Thread images: 14
File: productphotomain_opening.jpg (40 KB, 680x424) Image search: [Google]
productphotomain_opening.jpg
40 KB, 680x424
Is it worth playing or should I just jump to 3?
>>
>>339271743
The combat and graphic are awful
just play 2 and 3
>>
>>339271867
This. The world and the atmosphere are pretty good but the combat and the graphics suck ass.
>>
>>339271743
no but 3 isn't worth playing either
>>
File: 1456945818268.jpg (20 KB, 460x259) Image search: [Google]
1456945818268.jpg
20 KB, 460x259
>>339272198
Both combat and graphics are great.

You just have shit taste.
>>
>>339271743
Play it for the story/atmosphere. The gameplay is worse overall, but better in some respects.

I'd say at least get to chapter 3 before deciding it's not for you
>>
Depends on how much attention you pay to lore, story, and general roleplaying.
Tw1 is my favorite of the series but can be boring in the beginning. Its also worse if you play games for combat and that sort of thing, but it's definitely worth playing if you can tolerate some of the bad aspects of it. In some ways it can be seen as the morrowind of the series
>>
>>339272342
>combat is great
>great

i dont begrudge you finding it passable for the story, but great?
really?
that is great combat to you?

I'd hate to see what you loathe.
>>
>>339271743

TW1 held my interest more than TW2. The combat system is indeed pretty bad but the atmosphere is top notch.
>>
I really like the story and the world of TW1, I kinda missed that in TW2, the combat is repetitive and kinda dull.

Overall I like TW1 more than TW2, even though TW2 has huge setpieces and great graphics.
>>
>>339272198
>>339271867
Literally kill yourselves
>>
>>339271743
Witcher 3 combat = Witcher 1 combat > Witcher 2 combat
>>
File: disgusting.jpg (167 KB, 1044x770) Image search: [Google]
disgusting.jpg
167 KB, 1044x770
>We are to the point where people think witcher1's combat is acceptable or even good

The end times.
>>
File: siegfreid.png (1 MB, 894x1456) Image search: [Google]
siegfreid.png
1 MB, 894x1456
>>339271743
It's a slog, but ultimately very charming and well worth a play due to a fantastic last third. Arguably the game that sticks closest in tone to the source material, too.
>>
File: wreviews.jpg (332 KB, 1575x858) Image search: [Google]
wreviews.jpg
332 KB, 1575x858
>>339272917
Are you retarded?

The game had glowing reviews when it came out, only when the retards got into the franchise with the popularity of W3 is when I heard complaints
>>
>>339272917
Do tell what's so bad about it.
>>
>>339273043
Yeah, it's an excellent game but the combat was universally criticised.

The Witcher 2 had similar complaints
>>
File: 1453389154829.jpg (15 KB, 267x209) Image search: [Google]
1453389154829.jpg
15 KB, 267x209
>>339271743
Skip it. The story goes as follows.

>"Oh shit who am I"
>"Oh shit that's who I am"
>"Oh shit politics"
>"Oh shit I got into politics"
>"Oh shit I am the kings personal bodyguard now somehow"
>"Oh shit, but I only wanted to kill monsters and stuff"
>"Oh shit, who am I"

Just skip it. Start off Witcher 2. If you're really interested after playing the second and third game, go for it.
>>
the best one in the series - the writing, atmosphere, intrigue and feeling of being a pest exterminator was on point

latter games improved technically, added bells and whistles, and came into their own as far presentation goes, which is phenomenal, but they also started suffering from severe consolitis in design and gameplay

it's essential to play it
>>
>>339271743
Witcher 1 is basically a retelling of the short stories from the first book held together by a thin original narrative.
Witcher 2 is a largely a CDPR original and really not necessarily in the grand scheme of things because it just sets up the third game.
>>
File: EuUljzi.jpg (451 KB, 2560x1440) Image search: [Google]
EuUljzi.jpg
451 KB, 2560x1440
I really cant pick between yen and triss

because I dont really care about either
>>
>>339272917
It's literally NWN combat except you click at the end of every turn. Was that unacceptable too?
>>
>>339272686
this
you gigantic faggots
>>
>>339271743
play them all in chronological order dumbass, sure its not as modern but witcher 1 is still much better than most games out there
>>
>>339273152
>universally criticized

How about you go eat a dick and stop lying
>>
>>339271743
pros
>story is good
>characters are good
>music
>atmosphere
>one of the comfiest locations in all vidiya
cons
>slow as fuck
>fighting mechanic is atrocious and clunky
>lots of backtracking early on
>graphics were outdated on launch, it's a game made by a small studio

It's a great game if you're patient.
>>
>>339273423
lol no? nwn is based off 3.0 dnd and has lvl 1-9 druid, cleric, and wizard spells. That's probably 100x more options spell-wise than the witcher had.
>>
File: Untitled.png (63 KB, 1272x317) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
63 KB, 1272x317
>>339273152
>universally criticized
>>
nah fuck you

these threads trigger me

play a fucking game faggot
>>
>>339273376
Threesome, nigger
>>
>>339273848
if only

sorceresses in this game are pretty selfish
>>
>>339273621
But it's true anon. The preparation aspect of Witcher 1 was great, but the actual combat itself is mindlessly simplistic DDR clicking. Witcher 2 fucks up preparation AND combat due to CDProject having no idea how to make an action game at the time.
>>
>>339273721
I also forgot that dub is atroctious. Play it with polish voices. In fact, you should play all of them with polish voices.
>>
>>339273831
every fucking day I see this shit

Just don't get into the series, done. Replay Mass Effect or something
>>
>>339273802
It's people overreacting. There's nothing WRONG with W1 combat, as in it's not mechanically flawed or poorly thought out. it's simply a glorified rhythm game. People can dislike on those grounds, but that doesn't make it bad - it just means the don't like it.
>>
>>339273779
So? The mechanics are the same, only the rules differ. You still click on an enemy and watch your toon perform an attack animation that's not related to anything, while dice rolls decide the outcome in the background.
>>
>>339273908
see>>339273802

>but the actual combat itself is mindlessly simplistic DDR clicking.
>>
>>339273376

No reason to like other girls than Ciri.
>>
>>339273721
game also feels pretty unoptimized

I didn't notice W2 running much worse at all despite being much newer
>>
>>339274092
ehh ciri is kinda scrawny for her size
>>
File: W1_berengar.jpg (247 KB, 1024x576) Image search: [Google]
W1_berengar.jpg
247 KB, 1024x576
>>339274171
It doesn't feel unoptimized, it IS unoptimized. I suppose that's entirely on the engine considering CDPR somehow gutted Aurora engine to get it running and looking like that. EE is at least tolerable and doesn't crash, original was horrible.
>>
>>339274020
>but the actual combat itself is mindlessly simplistic DDR clicking.

Needing to time your attacks plus positioning and chaining attack sequence on multiple enemies leads to fun encounters.

With the FCR mod every battle is fun and balanced.

It's 8.5/10 game without the FCR mod but 9/10 with it
>>
The Witcher is a slav game, akin to STALKER or 7.62 High Calibre. Too ambitious for its own good, broken in so many ways, but with a ton of soul and love put into it, and it shows.

TW2 and TW3 are western AAA action-adventure games with good writing. "Euro-RPGs" at best.
>>
>>339274325
>With the FCR mod every battle is fun and balanced.
>that one fight in the city when a crowd of bandits bumrush you in a tiny room

I never quickloaded so much in my life.
>>
>>339271743
Do you care about lore or world building? Cause it has tons of that. It actually has a far better bestiary than the second game and both skill tree plus alchemy, while kind of a jumbled mess, give a better idea of what witchers can do as compared to the newer games.

I played it earlier this year for the first time and came to the conclusion that most of the complaints about the game come from total retards. They mostly boil down to "hurrrrr du combat", which is dumb cause witcher 2 has it worse, and memes about the swamp/drowners from plebs that never even realized you can just buy an item that makes ALL drowners in the game run away from you forever.

The only real issue with the game is a convoluted middle section; in particular an annoying NPC, an investigation quest that you might not be able to complete to your liking because the game's scripting will require you to do obscure shit before it gives you the dialogue choices you want and an autopsy section that's really hard to get through perfectly without a guide. You could also argue that the default walking speed is too slow for a game with limited fast travel but that's easily modded.
>>
>>339273376
I'm not a witcher fag ( havent read books, didnt play witcher 1, only a few hours in 2 ), so I'll just do my choice according to whats actually happening in the game.
So far Triss was willing to risk being tortured so you have a chance at finding Ciri.
I know its early in the game ( I'm level 12 in novigrad ) but thats something I'll remember.
>>
>>339271743
Play it. There will be characters and locations that you then revisit in the third game and it's real fucking cool.
>>
I tried playing 1.

It was painful. Legitimately. The combat was a clusterfuck of bad. I couldn't even enjoy the story or the setting. I didn't play the other games because of this initial impression and the fact I just couldn't complete the first game.
>>
File: witchermetacritic.jpg (85 KB, 722x360) Image search: [Google]
witchermetacritic.jpg
85 KB, 722x360
>>339275259
the game just wasn't for you then
>It was painful. Legitimately. The combat was a clusterfuck of bad.

This is objectively wrong, what is bad is they never properly explain how the combat works and you have to pick it up yourself or just read the tuitorial journals
>>
>>339274865
>an annoying NPC

Best not mean kalkstein.
>>
Ye
>>
>>339275087
>triss broke after 5 fingernails were pulled off almost fucking up geralts only chance of finding ciri
>yen did not ever break even after her hands were crushed into pulp and ripped off with a hammer

Triss was attempting to do what yen had already done, but just showed her own weakness.
>>
>>339275465
Grandma
>>
>>339275421
I understood how the combat worked. I SERIOUSLY gave the game a chance, because I bought it. It's a universal complaint most people have with the game. It's just bad.

I'm sure everything else in the game is stellar, but the combat is objectively bad.
>>
>>339276052
> but the combat is objectively bad.

There's that word again
>>
>>339276052
>It's a universal complaint most people
>combat is objectively bad.

Stop spewing buzzwords. The game and the combat were very well received
>>
>>339276052
What's bad about it?
>>
>>339275735
to me, both are rather equal in qualities

I guess it just depends if you want geralt to retire or not
>>
>>339275735
didnt know about that

its more the way its presented tho, you dont have a choice when triss offers to be the prisoner, then you have 1 chance to spare her the torture if you have the related axii skill, its kinda lame from a role playing pov.
I really liked the fact that I could just say fuck it, and kill the bad guys. They're not all dead, but still that was nice and I didnt expect it. I figured I would still find something the boss corpse and its exactly what happened.
>>
Witcherfags are like Morrowindfags when it comes to the first one.
>>
>>339276772
both are right?
>>
Yen's smarter than you attitude reminded me too much of how I treat people close to me ;~;

I dumped her and went with Triss. I want to be a better person.
>>
File: mad-as-hell.jpg (42 KB, 391x302) Image search: [Google]
mad-as-hell.jpg
42 KB, 391x302
>not starting with the first game in an entirely story-driven series

Next you'll be coming back to /v/ saying the story was shit because you didn't understand it.
>>
>>339276052
How is it bad? It's literally the same combat as in any other game except that it requires obvious timing instead of just constantly clicking to attack as fast as you can.
>>
It's alright, I'm playing through it myself, haven't got very far yet.
>>
>>339276772
not even, Witcherfags that like 1 also like 3
>>
File: fuckingdrowners.png (49 KB, 962x697) Image search: [Google]
fuckingdrowners.png
49 KB, 962x697
>>
>>339277820
>retard detected

http://witcher.wikia.com/wiki/Red_ribbon
>>
File: 80.jpg (34 KB, 738x455) Image search: [Google]
80.jpg
34 KB, 738x455
>>339277239
I think that was a problem for a lot of people in regard to Eredin in W3. You kinda need to read the books to get it.
>>
>>339273034
Isn't it almost fanfictiony with how much it references the books though?
I'm not saying it's bad, I really liked it the second time I tried it. I just like that 2 & 3 felt a little less like they were trying to see how many scenes from the books they could recreate.
>>
>>339277953
the ribbon is useless, because you quickly realize you should just run past the drowners anyway.
>>
>>339277279
He probably playing w1 with controller
>>
>>339278151
not really. first game is sort of an adaptation of the short stories, except they actually put in original story to tie it all together and then built the video game trilogy from there.
>>
>>339271743

ANY series which allows you to directly import saved games from previous installments MUST be played from the first installment.

Witcher series allows imports of save files from all games, and therefore you should start with the first. The First game has pretty shit combat mechanics but a fantastic story, setting, characters, good voice acting, and is over-all just a great experience. If you are looking for super satisfying combat, The Witcher 1 will not deliver. If you can accept a sort of stat and rhythm style combat that will get you through an incredible journey, do it.

The Witcher 2 is probably the most skippable of The Witchers- it tried to do too much in too little an area, and was bold in many places while seeming to be bafflingly backwards in other places. But you should still play it.

tl;dr: Fucking play it through in chronological order because you can import saves and it's a character-driven RPG.
>>
>>339271743
A little elf was skipping down the path
Play 'em all, Play 'em all
Along came a dwarf and kicked him in the arse
Oh you are fucked, dirty rotten scum
Do that again and I'll fuck yer mum

Play 'em all, fucker.
>>
>>339278369
Is it really an adaptation though? I thought it explicitly took place after the books and that they even directly reference some of the events (like the zeugl fight) as having already happened.
>>
>>339278825
It does take place after the books, but Geralt has amnesia and a lot of the subplots are basically retellings of the short stories
>>
>>339271743
I'm playing Witcher 1 for this exact reason. It's fun if u like really old school shit, if not it's gonna feel like a chore
>>
>>339278825
He's talking about the short stories themselves.
Thread replies: 79
Thread images: 14

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.