[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Discuss Master of Orion, 4x or anything similar as long as the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2
File: Master_of_Orion_II.png (356 KB, 400x475) Image search: [Google]
Master_of_Orion_II.png
356 KB, 400x475
Just finished Master of Orion II as the research people by building 2 invincible doom ships and rushing to the Antaran world.

Didn't expect the Silicoids to be able to take almost the entire galaxy though and eliminate everyone else.
>>
blimp
>>
File: 1463867366760.webm (1 MB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
1463867366760.webm
1 MB, 640x360
How do I get good at these games, every single time I even start developing pop-guns the enemy factions just steamroll me with their fucking massive fleets and Death Star bullshit. I try to be slow and careful and build up rationally but he AI always crushes me unfairly.
>>
Loved MoOII back in the day, the races and graphics were just so exotic and awesome. The AI was brutal though.
>>
>>339271291
Which game of that type would you recommend for a total newbie? Well, maybe not a total newbie if you count EU as a part of a genre.
>>
>>339272440
I'm assuming you build a lot of useless bullshit for your towns instead of armies.
>>
>>339273046
Honestly? NuMoO is pretty good for getting people into it, even if its in Early Access.

After that, play MoOII, Play Psilons and just.. dig in.
>>
>>339274182
You know, MoO2's graphics are actually kinda charming, but I can't get over that shitty interface. I'm constantly shifting pops left and right and if I'm not doing that, I'm staring at the static as fuck galaxy overview and pressing the turn button. All the while that interface is fighting me every time I try to interact with the game.

It seems like fun, it does appear to have lots of depth, but playing it isn't fun. Too many interface standards and conventions that are missing, I guess.
>>
>>339273046
>Which game of that type would you recommend for a total newbie
You mean 4x?

Master of Orion 2 is actually pretty good on the easier difficulties for this regard. The xenophobic AI will largely ignore you, while everyone else will usually stroke your cock. Recommend playing as creative so that you can choose your own research and get all the upgrades.

It will take a while to get used to the UI though, but it's actually pretty good compared to other DOS games. I hear it is one of the best games of all time, but I didn't play any of the Galactic Civilizations so I can't judge.

Master of Magic is also good though the UI is more difficult. Start with the halflings, get life magic and spam slingers for a start.

For relatively newer games try Age of Wonders 2 Shadow magic. You should have no problems with that one.

Remember to read the manuals for any of these. There are more, but these 3 are the ones I played recently so my memory of them is better. I've also been looking at Age of Wonders 3 and it might be the best for a newbie if you don't mind the questionable design choice of 3D and a few other things. Didn't try it so I can't really say anything.
>>
>>339274714
>but I can't get over that shitty interface
You'd absolutely hate MoM then. I got used to MoO2's UI pretty quickly, but MoM's took me an entire game and I still can't completely get used to it.
>>
I don't like the new MOO. I hate that there are no visible models for soldiers, scientists, spies. Advisors were a mistake
>>
>>339274729
MoM but specially MoO2 have an UNSURPASSED UI/UX that allows you to both micro and macro easily, too bad they didn't reuse original MoM AI.

>>339274714
You know that you can actually manage your empire from the colonies Tab right
>>
bumbo
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.