[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is Chrono Trigger still worth playing? Never really touched JRPGs
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 106
Thread images: 14
File: unnamed.png (333 KB, 960x640) Image search: [Google]
unnamed.png
333 KB, 960x640
Is Chrono Trigger still worth playing?
Never really touched JRPGs
>>
>>339269294
No
>>
>>339269294
Yes
>>
>>339269337
>>339269406
Thanks
>>
Maybe.
>>
>>339269294
Play it at 150-200% speed on an emulator, but its still great.
>>
it's for sure a good introduction to JRPGs, it's not too difficult, it's not too long, it has a good soundtrack, the story kind of holds up, le pixelshit ages well. I don't know if it deserves the almost universal praise it gets, but it's definitely one of the most solid consistent games in the genre.
>>
Yes and, honestly, after playing that one you really don't need to play another jrpg, Its the culmination of the genre.
>>
it hasn't aged very well in my opinion. the game is ahead of its time in the sense that it is a fast paced linear romp with lots of set pieces and visual/audio variety. it's like the jrpg uncharted.

any serious exploration of its depth/level design will only reveal that it is shallow and hackneyed.
>>
>>339269294
It's pretty fantastic, and a good way to get into JRPGs.
>>
>>339270052
>it doesn't have enough grinding and corners with hidden items.
>>
>>339269294
Yes
>>
>>339270052
I disagree, I think Chrono Trigger has aged very well. The biggest strengths of CT were it's character progression story arcs and its replayability, and both of those haven't changed at all over the years. Combine that with some top-notch pixel art and a great soundtrack and I think it holds up very well even today.
>>
>>339269819
Why would you even do that? CT is already fast paced for a JRPG as is.
>>
>>339269294
Yeah, its fairly short, still looks pretty good and the story hold up well. Music is god-tier. Combat is fun, but way to easy IMO.

Chrono Trigger is kinda overrated, but it still is a good game that holds up very well.
>>
>>339269294
>That font
>>
It's short, so after 50 hours and like a year, I've finished it. That's about all I have to say about it. It didn't make me like jrpgs.
>>
>>339270725
If you completely ignore that it isn't remotely consistent about which theory of time travel it uses, sure.
>>
>>339269294

Yes, but don't expect it to be the greatest game ever made like you've been hearing for the last 20 years.
>>
File: Final-Fantasy-VI-Screenshot.jpg (84 KB, 640x391) Image search: [Google]
Final-Fantasy-VI-Screenshot.jpg
84 KB, 640x391
>>339271262

We have such sights to show you anon
>>
File: ffv_remake[1].png (268 KB, 544x310) Image search: [Google]
ffv_remake[1].png
268 KB, 544x310
>>339271954
>>
File: 1370648639664.jpg (114 KB, 511x546) Image search: [Google]
1370648639664.jpg
114 KB, 511x546
>>339272143
>>
>>339272143
This is a scaling error that happens when you fuck up the aspect ratio. It's not supposed to look like that.
>>
>>339272143
that one always bothers me.
the clear fucking tile breaks. Jesus christ it's painful.

6 isn't that bad in comparison.
But still, the GBA versions of 5 and 6 are the best. With the patches of course.
4 is still the best on PSP.
>>
Remember the movie Alien? People hail it as one of the best horror movies ever made, and at the time of release, nothing like it had ever been done before. It changed the horror genre forever and inspired everything from movies, to books, video games, etc. If you watch Alien today though, after so much media exposure to other things that have taken from Alien, you see all the cliches and it's just a good movie. Nothing special. Why the hype?

Ever seen Evangelion? Called the pinnacle of anime at he time, nothing like it had ever been done before. It changed it's medium forever and practically invented the idea of deconstruction in anime. If you watch Evangelion today, after so much media exposure to other things that have taken from Evangelion, you see all the cliches and it's just a good show. Nothing special. Why the hype?

Chrono Trigger is the exact same, with RPGs. If you were there when it came out, it's easy to see why you might think of it as the best game ever made. But playing it today, while not a bad experience at all, it's nothing special. If you don't buy into the absolute hype of it and just see it as an interesting piece of time, a progenitor to many, many other things.
>>
>>339272497

I feel like this is a pasta but searching it returns nothing.
>>
>>339271469
>If you completely ignore that it isn't remotely consistent about which theory of time travel it uses
this isn't sci-fi
>>
>>339269294
Yeah, it's kind of easy and simple but has a shit ton of charm. One of the most well aged classic JRPGs there is.
>>
>>339272594
Chrono Trigger is science fantasy.
And how is that supposed to excuse it being a plot hole?
>>
No, it's weeb garbage that barely passes as a story and has even worse combat.
>>
>>339272687
you don't take the little details too seriously

>>339272497
chrono trigger is not a "nothing like this has been done before" it's just a jrpg that was really well made
>>
>>339272773
>you don't take the little details too seriously
So you want to just ignore the plot holes and pretend they don't exist. Which is what I said in the first place.
>>
>>339272773
>chrono trigger is not a "nothing like this has been done before" it's just a jrpg that was really well made
This. It what makes it so good. Square took the generic JRPG formula and made it into something incredible and incredibly ambitious for the time.
>>
>>339272497
Evangelion is still pretty unique, actually.
>>
File: 12352364.png (433 KB, 554x339) Image search: [Google]
12352364.png
433 KB, 554x339
>>339269294
Wait for this game instead.
>>
>>339269819
Definitely this once your get the hang of it to speed up combat. Great story
>>
not a single black character
game sux
>>
>>339269294
It's not bad at all but it's one of those 'babby's first' games that people keep coming back to for memories. Don't buy into the hype. Play it if you want but know there are plenty of better games in the same genre, from the same era.
>>
>he doesn't want to bring an end to imperfect Cell's bullshit
>>
>>339273038
>Terrible character designs
>Endless snowy forest areas
>Soundtrack is nice as purely piano but listening it you can tell it was obviously intended for an orchestra but they didn't get the budget for it
>Apes CT's combat system but without the positioning and not doing anything to push it forward

It's going to be mediocre.
>>
>>339272497
>Evangelion
>nothing special
Kill yourself
>>
>>339273295
You're stupid as shit.
>>
>>339269294
I just played it for the first time and didn't think it lived up to the hype at all. It was by no means a bad game though.
>>
>>339273295
A non-biased viewer just watching evangelion now after seeing alot of modern anime is probably not going to find it very interesting
>>
>>339272497
Alien is still a great movie to watch though.
Evangelion was garbage, and took tons of additional post-series media to make it even remotely decent.

Chrono trigger is a good RPG, with a relatively unique story.

The thing is, alien and chrono trigger can be watched/played and enjoyed just as much as they were back then. Evangelion, you'll get no satisfaction unless you watch the series, and the movie, and the remake stuff, and read a bunch of novels about what the nonsensical last 5 episodes mean, and more.
>>
>>339269819
I'd advise against doing this for CT cause of the music, but this is the way to play JRPGs otherwise.
>>
>>339272497
>rpgs

more like jrpgs
>>
>>339273561
>Evangelion was garbage, and took tons of additional post-series media to make it even remotely decent.

Rebuild 2.0 is your favourite Evangelion entry, isn't it?
>>
>>339273515
Explain, why you think this, please. I am curious.
>>
>>339272885

It's a time travel story, there isn't a single time travel story that makes 100% sense. I know that for some reason people really like to find tiny flaws in things, but that doesn't affect the quality whatsoever.
>>
>>339272429
>But still, the GBA versions of 5 and 6 are the best. With the patches of course.
>4 is still the best on PSP.

When is this bullshit going to die?
>>
>>339269294

Yes, it's a fantastic JRPG for newcomers to the genre.
Don't get the native mobile version, emulating the SNES version is better.
>>
>>339274336
What a stupid argument. "100% sense" is beside the point, the point is that it isn't even consistent about the rules it set for its own setting, which means it has plot holes, which objectively hurts the quality of the story.
>>
>>339271469

>giving a fuck about time travel accuracy

CT is more Back To The Future and less The Butterfly Effect. Quite frankly I'd rather the former. Also fuck Cross outside of it's beautiful OST.
>>
>>339274506

>which means it has plot holes

So what? You can find plotholes in everything.
>>
>>339274207
because it was like a 'self aware anime' that spoke directly to the mindset of emotionally repressed otaku at the time
but doing that has since become a staple of anime in many ways
i might be wrong, but i've watched only watched anime for 10 years, but I watched eva and didn't feel anything, didn't dislike it but didn't like it either
>>
>>339274506
the time travelling is a fantastic device. the story isn't really about time travel so being inconsistent with the rules doesn't hurt the story much
i cant even remember what the inconsistences were and i've played it several times
>>
>>339272497

I disagree. While CT is an excell window gaze into the genre the comparision you made with EVA isn't apt. CT was made with what was considered at the time an All Star group of devs and programmers. Great in their time and most still remembered for their work to this day.

While basic at times the things it did well were done REALLY WELL.
>>
>>339273807
No, none of it is good. I don't like any of evangelion cause even when it was brand new it was terrible, and took ages to complete any semblance of progression in it's story. then it tossed it all in the garbage with the ending. And at the time it was panned for doing so.
Nowadays it's lauded as great, as long as you watch the other shit that isn't the series. Which is fucking retarded. evangelion is, always has been, and always will be pure garbage that was hyped up for no good reason whatsoever.
>>
>>339274981
>the story isn't really about time travel

Yes it is. Are you retarded?
>>
>expresionless silent protagonist
>barebones and contrived story and characters. nothing is explained
>maps ala alttp, enemies spawn in the same location every section change, battles use the exact same positions, can't change positions, team combos dependent on positions
>music is nice but gets repetitive very fast because the tracks are short and are repeated all the time

you'd better start with FFVI OP, it's a much more digestible JRPG. If you can't handle FFVI though, don't expect any miracles for Chrono.
>>
>>339271469
>not remotley close to my guess of a non existent thing.

What.......a..........fuck...ing.....faggot.
>>
>>339275196

you were 13 when you first watched EVA weren't you? Nonetheless I think if I was to compare any anime to Chrono Trigger it would be FLCL. Basic plot done well, doesn't overstay it's welcome, great when you watch it the first time at it's release and better appreciated upon revisits years later. Sure some might claim that it's overrated but that might be because they went into it with the hypetrain and got underwhelmed without looking at the bigger picture.
>>
>>339275778
can you reference something that isn't overrated shit made by gainax
>>
>>339275316

>you'd better start with FFVI OP, it's a much more digestible JRPG.

I say this as fedoratipper mcgee and my favorite FF is indeed VI. No it isn't more accessable than CT. VI goes on for too fucking long CT doesn't.
>>
>>339269294
Those fucking mobile fonts ruin the experience for me, would rather play it emulated than play the game like that holy shit.
>>
>>339274779
No, not really. A well-created story shouldn't have any plot holes at all.
>>
>>339273257
>Terrible character designs

I didn't even read the rest, easiest bait of my life.
>>
>>339276036

ha ha funny joke.

Gainax is a polarizing company. It's only problem is most of its fans are Entry Level fags.
>>
>>339272497
this post makes me so mad cause it is clearly a little kid millennial trying to justify his shitty taste.
>>
>>339273257
>It's going to be mediocre
I know this is true but I'm going to play it anyway because I'm a chump
>>
File: anne_2148996b.jpg (43 KB, 620x388) Image search: [Google]
anne_2148996b.jpg
43 KB, 620x388
>>339272497
faggot
>>
>>339276252
>It's only problem is most of its fans are Entry Level fags.
you certainly got that right
>>
>>339275316
>>expresionless silent protagonist
Not an issue
>>barebones and contrived story and characters. nothing is explained
Objectively false
>>maps ala alttp, enemies spawn in the same location every section change, battles use the exact same positions, can't change positions, team combos dependent on positions
Understandable complaint, but the enemies being in the same positions makes it easier to evade them if you're revisiting a room
>>music is nice but gets repetitive very fast because the tracks are short and are repeated all the time
Only 3 or 4 tracks are repeated across the game. "nice" is a huge understatement too
>>
>>339276120

the DS version is an option too. It's basically the PS1 version with none of the load times and a few extra bosses and dungeons.

though it's a bit miffed among fans for being the version that officially link Trigger and Cross
>>
File: Endir.jpg (199 KB, 1080x1644) Image search: [Google]
Endir.jpg
199 KB, 1080x1644
>>339276231
>This is a good character design
>>
>>339276478
All the bonus content in the DS version is utter garbage.
>>
>>339269294
>Is Chrono Trigger still worth playing?

Yes. Considering JRPGs went through very few changes over the decades I'd say it's still worth it.
>>
>>339270052
>it's like the jrpg uncharted.
CT is good though. Still is.
>>
File: ChronoTriggerDSBox.jpg (99 KB, 500x448) Image search: [Google]
ChronoTriggerDSBox.jpg
99 KB, 500x448
>>339276694
DS version is the best because it combines PS1 cinematics with SNES lack of loading times. I also like the new translations because it was plain better and more consistent. New content can go die in a ditch somewhere, though. It just shows how much new developers don't get the way original game was designed.
>>
>>339276998

PS1 cinematics weren't very good anyway. I'm glad I can turn them off.
>>
File: FF6.png (137 KB, 361x317) Image search: [Google]
FF6.png
137 KB, 361x317
>>339272773
I think its battle transitions were a first for RPGs. Seeing enemies on the map + going into the fight in the same location without a hard transition. Probably a lot of stuff related to that was also a first for the genre. Obviously tech attack ranges/lines, but stuff like hitting/interacting with targetable things in the environment (like the Ozzy fights), or even simple technical stuff like having fully animated enemies walking around in battle. Stuff that seems really minor now, but was fairly mindblowing when the pinnacle of JRPG fights looked like pic related. Otherwise static sprites moving forward and swinging their arm.
>>
>>339276568
looks fine to me

i like the colors
>>
>>339273515
It's one of the only ones I've seen and I thought it was just decent.
>>
Long, autistic post incoming.

>>339274830
>self aware anime
I guess by this you're talking about the "deconstruction" aspect and that you think characters like Shinji were meant to appeal to the average anime watcher back then, right?
Personally, I think people overstate the importance of the deconstruction aspect in Eva.

Yes, it did play around with some tropes (like teenager heroes for instance) but that is hardly the only important or the most interesting part of the show.

This series has some incredibly interesting lore, great art and very good animation - even with all of the budget issues they had, they still worked hard to make sure the fights looked great. It also has some of the coolest mecha and monster designs ever.

Eva also has a really deep (yeah, yeah, 2deep4you meme, sue me) story that is full of mystery and gets you really gripped to know whats gonna happens next. It has this atmosphere of tension, of that theres something greater and terrifying going on on the background. And this story is really driven foward by the well-writen characters.

I really don't think it is fair to say that Eva is meant to appeal to the 90's japanese otaku, because the issues the characters have are much more universal than that. Shinji is such a great representation of a teenager with social disabilities and mental issues; do you think you need to be a otaku from the 90's to relate to that? and what about Misato and her daddy issues?

Maybe Eva isn't for you, and that is ok. I don't like a lot of things that are popular either, but this idea that it "was only good at it's time because it was different" is hardly true here, because everything in the series actually holds up. Even the deconstruction stuff, actually; how many series have such a good job at fucking with the manly action hero trope?
>>
>>339277331
>I think its battle transitions were a first for RPGs. Seeing enemies on the map + going into the fight in the same location without a hard transition
removing the horrible battle transitions that plagued early JRPGs isn't a feature
all the real RPGs that the first JRPGs ripped off didn't have battle transitions
>>
>>339277446
all the things you mentioned are generic qualities that can be attributed to any good anime. Yeah social disabilities and mental issues are a global timeless thing, eva just addressed them in a way that otaku of the time could relate to. That's what made it stand out to people. I'm not saying it's not good now. It just doesn't have that impact anymore because it's now become a staple of anime
>>
>>339276568
That looks like an overdesigned piece of shit, after removing the initial amount of belts and zippers, and adding obnoxious colors and fluff to it.

>>339276694
Granted.

CT2 != CC.
Chrono cross is horseshit.
>>
>>339277554
I can't think of any that weren't 1st person dungeon crawlers which is pretty much its own genre. Even stuff like Ultima 3/4 had fights transition to a completely different map.
>>
>>339278853
those sure are some opinions I'll tell you what
>>
>>339271954
jesus christ i didnt know they made a port of ff6. that looks terrible. why couldnt they do what they did for ff4 for psp?
>>
>>339279536
FF4 on the PSP was butchered worse than any of the iOS ports.
>>
>>339269294
I'm currently playing through it now on my ds and I'd say yes. Still fun and the story is better than you'd expect.
>>
Yes it's still good, new translation ruined the newer versions though.

>FIENDLORD
>>
>>339273561
the last 5 episodes are the best part. It's the first 10 that are slow and boring as fuck with shinji crying over his dad constantly
>>
File: 1463965719409.png (59 KB, 412x304) Image search: [Google]
1463965719409.png
59 KB, 412x304
>>339269294
Yeah

It'll feel like babies first jrpg in a lot of ways but its still incredibly good with great sprites, great music, a great world, and really fun gameplay
>>
File: 1464335646703.jpg (51 KB, 480x410) Image search: [Google]
1464335646703.jpg
51 KB, 480x410
>>339271954
>>
>>339279873
good joke
>>
>>339278853
>Chrono cross is horseshit

oh you been exposed son
>>
>>339269294
Best girl doesn't win and you get cucked by some faggot. nuff said.
>>
File: 1399510673911.png (2 KB, 179x139) Image search: [Google]
1399510673911.png
2 KB, 179x139
so the SNES version is better?
>>
>>339280913
no, don't listen to the nostalgiafags
>>
>>339280913
DS version is better. Better translation, anime cutscenes for important parts of the game, built-in sound test, art gallery, ending gallery and extra content (it sucks, but it's there anyways).
>>
>>339280913

Eh, doesn't matter much. Just stay away from the PS1 release.
>>
>>339280497
Butchered gameplay is much worse than butchered graphics.
>>
>>339280913
Yes, the DS translation is boring literal shit
Thread replies: 106
Thread images: 14

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.