[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Skullgirls?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 4
File: fapfap.jpg (175 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
fapfap.jpg
175 KB, 1280x720
I wanna get into fighting games and I've heard this is a good starting point, and it's cheap as chips on steam. Any opinions on this game for fighter noobs? Also will my xbone controller cut it?
>>
It IS cheap, easy to get into, and quite good all-around, but the playerbase is dead on all platforms, I wouldn't recommend it unless you plan on playing with friends.
>>
>>339261085
Good game, good tutorial, xbox controller works but you will be stuck playing by yourself. the game is dead online mate.
>>
>>339261365
Literally have no friends who like or play fighting games, which makes it a hard genre to get into. Any recommendations of good playerbase games? I've heard SFV is a mess.
>>
>>339261486
>>339261365 is wrong. You can get a match with good ping in seconds depending on where you live. Play on PC though it is dead on consoles.
>>
>>339261486
Assuming you're PC-only, SFV is pretty much your only option. Fighting games don't live very long on PC, so the best option is usually whatever is new.
>>
>>339261486
SF5 is a fucking mess right now and not worth anybody's time, wait until next year. I guess Blaz Blue has a player base on the PS4 and the new guilty gear will be released in the west in less than 2 weeks.

If you are on PC than you are fucked Because SF is the onl game that has a decent number of players.
>>
>>339261713
I've got an xbone, but I need to warrantee it as the console drops it's connection to the controllers for half a second literally every 5 seconds. Totally unplayable for anything except turnbased games.
>>
File: didgeridont.jpg (200 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
didgeridont.jpg
200 KB, 500x500
>>339261698
tfw I live in Australia
>>
>all these posters pissing about playerbases right now
As long as there is a decent size of players to play online with the game is worth playing. Any fightcade game worth it's salt always has 5-10 players ready to play so I don't see how a game that only requires one other person to play can be considered "dead" enough to be unplayable
>>
>>339261085
This will be your experience for atleast 1 year

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7ZOfRHUWn0

i warned you.
>>
>>339262226
Yeah I've had a look at fightcade, even a few aussies on at peak time for popular games like third strike.

But I've also heard third strike is really beginner unfriendly and full of killers
>>
>>339262235
Haha yeah I've heard about the endless resets. But as far as I can tell any fighting game is going to be really punishing to get into.
>>
>>339262451
There is a lot to learn but playing good players is the only way you are going to learn
>>
File: file.png (268 KB, 745x784) Image search: [Google]
file.png
268 KB, 745x784
Wouldn't recommend it on PC. It's a ghost town. The last big surge was when everyone on steam could play for a week and the game still couldn't get over 4000 players
>>
>>339262784
Same with everything and the best way to learn, but I am a bit worried I'll lose moral if I'm just getting wailed on by people who know how to play for every single match. Plus no story or tutorial modes to fuck with
>>
>picking up an older fighting game

It's doable but you better have patience because you will be bopped for the first 800 hours.
>>
What fighting game is alive on PC that isn't SFV?
Only fightcade stuff?
>>
I highly recommend this game. Great game play, great ost, great tutorials, Xbox controller support, people do play this online (get Pc, avoid consoles like they say). Get the Dlc and you're set.
>>
>>339263384
My concerns exactly. Plus no ps4 so blazblu and gg are out, and I really don't want to drop 85 aud on SFV if it's as much of a dog as people say. Is there such a thing as MvC4 or any other big titles on the radar?
>>
>>339263573
Yeah I'll prbably get it just for the tutorial content and the art style considering it's so cheap. Does the community ever organise 'repopulate' days like they did with old shit like halo 3?
>>
>>339263720
There is nothing on the horizon but the arcsys games and kof14 later.
You have to just bite the bullet and start griding.
>>
>>339263925
Skullheart forums and the skullgirls subreddit are good places to look
>>
>>339264428
Probably better in the long run for getting fundamentals down.

Any good resources for learning apart from the stuff on eventhubs and shoryuken?
>>
You don't get into fighting games unlessy ou live in the bronx or cali. Online play will RUIN your learning curve. You should never ever ever play online because of it. It will fuck you up something fierce.

If you live in one of those areas, pick up MKX, SFV, Xrd, or soon tekken 7, then go find a group of people to play with.
shit you learn in one game almost never transfers over in a meaningful way other than basic concepts like zoning or building muscle memory (which is dangerous on a game that you likely won't play for longer than a month or two as you may pick up very bad habits that actively detriment you in other games).

In short, pick up a mainstream fighting game if you want to learn how to play fighting games.
If you don't livei n NY or cali, just forget about playing fighting games all together, unless you're also in japan or korea I guess.
>>
>>339264474
Nice one, beginner match finder and sparing threads look surprisingly promising
>>
>>339264707
I don't live in either of those places and fighting online is fun as fuck. Befriend guys that kick your ass, then you learn from them and grow stronger.
>>
>>339264707
OP here, I'm an ausfag, so there is pretty much no community for any game ever, regardless of genre. Still managed to get some amazing years out of stuff like halo
>>
>>339264707
This is only relevant if you are going to be an offline competitor in one of those major games.
>>
>>339264983
You're not learning anything that will help you in any meaningful capacity, and the games online will always die exceptionally more quickly than real life groups.
You're just hurting yourself by playing online anyway. If you bring online tactics and habits to real life, you will lose an inordinate amount of time.
If you bring real life tactics into online, you'll end up winning a good amount of the time.

It's not an issue with the playerbase or anything, sorry if it seemed like I was saying it was, it's just infrastructure in the entire world excluding japan and korea is inefficient, and has lag. ANY lag whatsoever ruins fighting games. Even an extra ms delay.
>>
>>339265384
You imply there is a "real life", but if he lives in bumfuck nowhere there is no offline scene to begin with.
There is nothing wrong with playing only online.
>>
>>339265528
It's been my dream to live in a place with a huge fighting scene. But alas I do not so online it is.
>>
>>339265528
My entire country is bumfuck nowhere. The copper wiring that connects me to the internet was laid in the 1970s. I'm hoping GGPO and frame delay can overcome this.
>>
>>339261085
I don't know what's been said thus far OP, don't really want to read the whole thread, but take my 2 cents as someone with 200+ hours in Skullgirls on Steam, and several more on the PS3 since that came out before the Steam version. I love Skullgirls, but it's a bad place to start, and I started with Skullgirls.

The reason is not because Skullgirls is bad, or because it's too simple, or anything like that. It's because Skullgirls' complexity and speed overshadows the basic fundamentals that all fighting games share.

For example: being able to Anti-Air reliably is a fundamental skill you need in every fighting game, including Skullgirls. However in Skullgirls, players can block in the air, which makes jumping-in a safer option, and at the same time deemphasizes Anti-Airing. When I moved to Street Fighter 4 (AE was out at the time), a game without airblocking, I did very poorly at first because I was constantly jumping in (because I was taught that's relatively safe in Skullgirls) and I also wasn't anti-airing other player's jump-ins.

That's just one example, there are many more. If you want to start, I'd say pick up literally any of the mainline Street Fighter games and put in about 100 hours as Ryu. That will genuinely give you a better understanding of the genre than anything else will. After that, you can branch out, but at least with those 100 hours you'll have a baseline.

That being said, I started with Skullgirls and I'm alright now in a variety of different things. However, I'm only alright, and it took me a lot of time to unlearn the bad habits Skullgirls gave me, which basically just amounted to double work.
>>
>>339266439
Thanks for the reply mate. SF seems to be the best place to learn fighting games in general rather than one specific game. Any thoughts on third strike or sf4 as a game to learn on? sf4 seems to have more resources around for beginners.
>>
>>339261486
Play guilty gear
>>
Who the fuck recommends Skullgirls as first fighting game? Seems like you fell for some intense shilling. SFV is currently the best fighting game for beginners.
>>
>>339261851
>>339261486
I'm on PC and I never had a problem with finding a match on KI. The only problem with online is that you automatically know when you get matched up with somebody on a console cause it takes fucking forever to load
>>
>>339266952
Most reports indicate that SFV has been plagued with issues since launch? Though I have heard that it's more beginner friendly than other street fighter titles, and has way less 1-frame links
>>
>>339267220
Overblown by reactionary /v/irgins. You won't learn fighting games with Skullgirls. You're too late to the show. Just pick up SFV and get in the scrub line like everyone else.
>>
>>339261085
Skull girls is fun but like with all fighting games there's players who have 400 hit combos you can't break out of. I wouldn't mind but I recognize the names and every time I play I end up against them.
>>
>>339267349
Pretty sure they've got a fuck ton of things in place to make combos shorter, but more reset heavy. You have plenty of opportunities to break out, it's just hard as fuck.
>>
>>339267475
I know man, it's just you got about half a second to counter/block their next 38 hit combo.
>>
>>339266838
SF4 does have more resources, and I prefer it to SF3 mostly because it was my entry into the series. There are pros and cons to learning both. The one thing I will say is that USF4 on PC feels kind of dead, but SF3 on Fightcade always has players.

I'd not recommend SFV currently but that is mostly a personal opinion.
>>
>>339267786
USF4 is like 15 aud on xbox360, and I can get my hands on a shit-tier wireless stick from a mate. Are people still playing?
>>
>>339268304
You'll get destroyed. SFV is your only hope. I don't know how else to put it.
>>
>>339265528
that's my point. Why bother playing at that point? like 90% of fighting games have no online community at all.
>>
>>339268304
Not sure, I don't play on 360. However 360 was the biggest community, I believe. It's worth trying.

As other anons say, you'll get destroyed, but honestly that will be the case in any game. Remember not to let it discourage you. At first, start with small goals: things like don't let them jump in on you without getting anti-aired the entire match, small achievable goals that you can focus on and feel good about even if you lose. Once you start piecing all the small elements together, then you can start winning.
Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.