[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is the oldest console you still use regularly? For the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 98
Thread images: 12
File: my snes dont hate.jpg (174 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
my snes dont hate.jpg
174 KB, 1600x1200
What is the oldest console you still use regularly?

For the sake of conversation i'll rule out emulators.
>>
>rule out of emulators
my Vita I guess
>>
>>339222581
Not counting emulators? And it has to be REGULARLY, not just occasionally?

I actually still use a NES on a CRTV for light gun games. I play Atari 2600, but only occasionally. I use emulators for anything else old most of the time and the real hardware only for the occasional multiplayer or if I don't have better control options.
>>
>>339222581
Dusted off my Atari 2600 to impress some girl I had over in hopes of turning in my V-card.

She wasn't impressed
>>
My SNES still works, but I rarely use it.

So probably the Dreamcast.
>>
>>339222681
how the fuck? you literally don't play any systems released before the 8th gen?
>>
>>339223175

Well, I can't say I'm surprised, given every one on /v/ is the age of a toddler.
>>
>>339223175
I occasionally still play my PS3, but as it says, occasionally -- not regularly

for anything before that, I just use emulation
>>
>>339223252
heck, since my old CRT TV broke, I don't even have anything that can take analog input anymore anyway

my newer consoles are hooked on my PC monitor
>>
ps2 and occasionally snes.
>>
Nintendo 64, wish I could find my original one though.
Also kind of want to get an SNES
>>
Regularly? Nothing. I'm too lazy to pull anything out that's older than the most current generation on a regular basis.
>>
>tfw mom made you sell your old console when you got a new one.

recently bought a SNES, N64 and PS2 but it just isn't the same.
>>
I've got an old Atari 2600 I'll break out whenever friends come over and we start drinkin.

Drunken Joust is one of our favorite pass times.
>>
>>339223175
OP said regularly

playing an old system now and then is pretty typical, but most people won't play them regularly over their more recent ones
>>
>>339223460

I can't explain it, but there's nothing quite like playing SNES games on a real SNES. Besides the lack of input lag, it just takes me back to simple times.
>>
>>339223641

>you will never come home from school and fire up the SNES for a couple hours before dinner and homework ever again.
>>
>>339223583
by regularly i just meant like once a month or more, i.e. it's not sitting in a box somewhere collecting dust most of the time. also it helps if you still buy games for it or have a flash cart or something.
>>
>>339222581
I'll occasionally boot up my Xbox for some Unreal Championship 2. I also bought Sudeki over 10 years ago just because of the babe on the cover, I need to play that.
>>
>>339223759

Why are we even alive?
>>
File: image.jpg (38 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
38 KB, 400x300
>>339223641
>tfw playing SNES and N64 at my best friend's house after school and watching toonami while we did our homework
I wanna go back, that shit was the perfect routine.
>>
I have an original model Genesis that I keep hooked up to a CRT to the side of my main setup that I play occasionally. I also use my PS2 pretty regularly.
>>
Probably my Xbox hueg since you can't emulate it. I kinda want to get a small 8" CRT to hook up my pre 6th gen and below consoles into, Xbox looks fine on my HDTV with component cables but GC with composite and even PS2 with component looks like crap due to 480i. Along with 240p systems looking like ass on HDTVs.
>>
>>339222581
I regularly play my GameCube, but I play my 64 some. I am trying to find some games for it.
>>
>>339223826

The I'd probably say my SNES. I break that out more than anything else.
>>
i dont really ever play consoles anymore. my PC has everything I want, havent bought a console since the PS3 came out, and I haven't hooked that up in a couple years.
>>
>>339223175
>rule out emulators

I mean, I have one of each system, but they just sit on a shelf "looking cool" but for wall sockets and practicality reasons, I have a raspberry pi with a bunch of emulators loaded on it, and use that with a PS3 controller.

So my vote is a nintendo DS.
>>
I haven't used my Super Nintendo in a while, but I have been using a Japanese Saturn that I ordered.
>>
>>339222581
HOLY FUCK is this what snes's look like when you leave then out unrefridgerated too long? Gross man, get that sick shit away from me.
>>
Arcade cabinets count!!

But if you do use one you have to post a picture :D
>>
>>339224151

>not putting your SNES in the fridge
>>
>>339222581
Gamecube for cubivore and four swords adventures.
Occasionally I'll pull out my Gameboy for the nostalgia of pre-back-lit screens.
>>
>>339223175
I play old PC games but we're not allowed to talk about those on /v/
>>
>>339223942

We had it good. I used to complain about the routines, going to bed at reasonable hours, going to school, doing chores, etc. But having friends, having balance, it makes everything more enjoyable.
>>
My DS, since my GBA has a broken d-pad
>>
File: 1363147574172.png (13 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
1363147574172.png
13 KB, 400x400
>your snes will never turn uniform yellow and will retrain grey areas
>>
various Game N' Watch handhelds

They're good shitter games
>>
>>339224414
Why would you even want to on /v/ when the community on /vr/ is much better anyway?
>>
>>339222581
psp I guess.
>>
File: image.jpg (237 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
237 KB, 1600x1200
I've never played on an NES before despite being 24 and playing on almost everything after it, what are the best games to try out and the best emulator?
>>
>>339224462
Get a SNES mini. They never yellow.
>>
>>339224418
Variety is the spice of life. It's no wonder 'gaymers' are so bitter.
>>
>>339224094
Same for me. There are very few games that don't emulate well for anything PS2 or older, and the few that don't I just care about enough to bother pulling the physical stuff out if I even have it anymore.
>>
I only play regularly on PS4 and PC nowadays. I don't even play my Wii U regularly anymore. I've been playing some 360/ps3 backlogged games and occasionally ps1 games on the ps3 but that's about as far back as I go. I don't even bother hooking up the n64, cube, snes, dreamcast, or ps2 anymore but I still got em. It's just quicker to load up emulators to scratch those itches and the fact that if I have an urge to play on emulators I'm likely trying out one of classics I missed for that console.
>>
I still play PS2 games almost every day. The newest console I have is a PS3 but it's been collecting dust for months.

Whenever I look at /v/ and see all these posts about the hottest new console shit it just reminds me that I don't belong here anymore. Gen 6 feels like it was literally yesterday
>>
>>339224781
Ducktales
Kiby's Adventure
Mario 3
Bubble Bobble
>>
I play my SNES fairly regularly

I used to play my master system II regularly too, but it just stopped working one day
>>
>>339224781
Castlevania, Paper Boy, the Mario games, TMNT, Mega Man games, and Lolo was pretty much all I ever played on it, even when there were other games around. IMO those particular titles aged well too.
>>
>>339224976
In all honesty /v/ is the best board and the worst board for video game discussions. The best vidya threads I've ever seen were all /v/. You have to sift through the shit to find it but it's there.
>>
Want to get my nephews an SNES but most are listed higher than I want to pay and the one that's $40 doesn't have an A/V cable (too lazy to go and buy one). Plus, their Wii is missing the A/V cable too, so no emulation

I'm a bad uncle.
>>
>>339225185
I have zero intentions of ever buying games for my nephews and nieces unless they ask specifically for them. Gaming pushed me into a lot of other alienating stuff like anime and programming, and I'd rather them have the fair chance to be normies first. Plus, my brother-in-law is a total xbro, only playing FIFA and GTA, so I don't think he'd appreciate me leading them to be like me. My own kids (should I have any ever ;_;), on the other hand, will probably get introduced to gaming pretty early and I'll do my best to have them play older titles early on so that they can appreciate them without expecting flashy visuals.
>>
My old N64 which i still have from my childhood
>>
>>339223129
If you showed her your Atari 2600 after you fucked her she would have decided it was rape.

You actually dodged a bullet.
>>
I do have an Atari 2600 but I don't use it much. My NES (that I have had since my birthday in 1992) is currently hooked up to a Trinitron and I do use it fairly consistently.
>>
There are certain DS games my 3DS can't play for some reason or another, so I have a DS lite for those.
>>
Not regularly, but I still play my GBC.
>>
>>339225083
>had a snes and a lot of games
>let sister keep them when I moved out
>never see them again

>had a ton of PS1 and PS2 games
>accidentally leave them at a friend's house
>tell him he can borrow them and I'll just get them when I come back over next weekend
>never see them again

>let sister take my Gamecube because she loved Animal Crossing
>she takes the whole game collection
>it all goes missing and I never see the games or my gamecube again

Who else fell for the "physical games are better" meme?
>>
>>339226359
>having shit friends and sisters
Sucks to suck faggot.
>>
>>339226359
>Who else fell for the "physical games are better" meme?
But anon that's absolutely a matter of opinion
>>
>>339222581
Ps1, I'm playing through FF7.
>>
>>339226359
Your sister and friend are shit and your stupid for letting anyone touch your games. I'm sure you've realized this by now how foolish you were in youth.
>>
File: QWEH.jpg (684 KB, 1536x2048) Image search: [Google]
QWEH.jpg
684 KB, 1536x2048
>>339222581
I still keep the SNES in to play Chrono Trigger and Pilotwings. At the worst it sits for two or three weeks unplayed.

The sad thing is that I probably have save files on some of these games older than the average /v/ user is anymore.
>>
>>339227016
>I'm sure you've realized this by now how foolish you were in youth.
He clearly hasn't if he thinks the issue is with physical copies of games.
>>
>>339222581
my NES gets ocassional use, emulate everything else
>>
Regularly?I'd say my ds.Sometimes I boot up Gta chinatown wars just to mess around
>>
>>339223578
A few of us do the same thing, but with baseball and ice hockey.

Shit is just fucking hilarious.
>>
Nowadays the only games I enjoy are SNES games. I know its stupid but I just cant be bothered with all the faff that comes with consoles and PC's.

I am looking forward to P5 though, I can finally take my PS4 out of the closet when it comes out. I'm serious that thing has been collecting dust in a closet since Bloodborne came out.
>>
>>339222581
Sorry brah, I only emulate
>>
File: 20160529_004020_HDR.jpg (2 MB, 3264x1836) Image search: [Google]
20160529_004020_HDR.jpg
2 MB, 3264x1836
If I play newer games, they're usually on PC. So I have mostly old consoles hooked up to my TV. I suppose my oldest two are my PC Engine Duo and Sega Genesis.

Unfortunately my console setup is a mess and I don't really have the type of shelving unit or space to have something more organized.
>>
>>339226514
it wasn't actually them, it was their shitty friends stealing shit from them to buy drugs
>>
>>339223175
Did you read? Because he uses emulators you fucking stooge
>>
>>339222581
Ruling out emulation just made half the thread answers modern consoles. Including mine, which is now Vita and 3DS.
>>
genesis
2 weeks ago i dont know why but i was playing shinobi 3 everyday
>>
>>339229471
>not having your beloved Dreamcast have a place of honor next to your newer consoles for when you feel the urge to MAKE SOME CUH-RAZY MONEY WITH CUH-RAAAZY TAXI

i don't understand you people
>>
>>339229717
I own a 64, ps1, ps2 (fat) and SNES, but they have shelf space. Everything has a controller attachment to PC, there is no obscure game that you can never find because Roms/.iso exist.

As one example, I have a black disk (non-mountain Dew) FF7, but I'm not about to mess that shit up when I can just play the game on my PC (through emulation, the PC version, the Steam PC version), Vita, PS3/4...

You can use the old resolution settings or mod it to look clearer. You can play on monitors or hook it up to whatever TV you want. The benefits for emulation are clear, whereas the benefits to running it on the console is "I love the physical act of blowing in cartridges/putting a disk in something."
>>
Regularly, I play Gamecube games on my Wii. Not-so-regularly, I dust off my N64 or my GBA. My PS2 is busted but as soon as I get a new one I'll be playing that, too.
>>
>>339222581
NES is as far back as I go usually. Emulators are enough for Atari stuff, but the silver age of games are best on real hardware.
>>
File: DSC02101.jpg (2 MB, 3072x2048) Image search: [Google]
DSC02101.jpg
2 MB, 3072x2048
>>
>>339222581
Nintendo 64.

goldeneye/dkracing/turok3
>>
>>339223513
Its exactly the same you faggot. You just suck more dicks now.

Why does everyone bitch about Crtv or whatever when you can just buy a framemeister upscaler and play SNES on a huge HDTV?
>>
>>339223897
Sudeki is also on PC in case you didn't know. Keep that hueg hooked up though, mod it so you can play metal wolf chaos.
>>
>>339222581
GBA
>>
I wouldn't say that regularly, but my NES. Other than that I don't really play anything regularly apart from my PC these days.
>>
I still use my Atari 2600 fairly regularly
>>
>>339222581
my ps2. for one its the most modern console i own, plays most my entire library (70% of my games are ps1/2), sturdy af and hell, i even recently bought a new controller for it.

runner up would be a tie between my snes (almost entirely for super mario world / all stars) and my dreamcast (Jet Set Radio and Shenmue exclusively)

_________have you seen any sailors around?
>>
File: currentretrosetup.jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
currentretrosetup.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
whatever i use in my retro room
>>
>>339227046
who's the semen demen?
>>
>>339222581
ps2
>>
N64, but I honestly haven't played it in a while. No idea where to get good controllers for it.
>>
>>339222581
PS2 because my n64 and snes look like fucking shit on my 32 inch screen and I cant be fucked finding a place to put a crt
>>
My old, gray Gameboy. I covered it in those Call Collect stickers they used to mail out. Sucker went with me to college, Iraq and Afghanistan. Now it sits by my shitter, getting used at least 45 minutes a day. Contrast likes to uncontrollably flicker and the speaker sounds like a horror film, but it'll keep being used as long as it's kicking.
>>
I use my ds the most frequently but i still will grab my gameboy advance sp every once and a while, gb games don't play as well on ds.
>>
>>339222581

Dreamcast
>>
I have so many of them but mainly SNES, Genesis, PS1, and PS2. My SNES has become like in the pic on the OP and has chicken shit on top of it
>>
>>339224821
yeah but they're fucking ugly
>>
File: Atari2600.png (2 MB, 1600x748) Image search: [Google]
Atari2600.png
2 MB, 1600x748
>>
>>339222581
you posted it
>>
File: 1461488162280.jpg (8 KB, 160x160) Image search: [Google]
1461488162280.jpg
8 KB, 160x160
>>339240335
To you it's ugly. The fact that it looks like a mini Super Famicom with the color scheme of the North American Super Nintendo, no yellowing, and has the cleanest video output make it superior.
Thread replies: 98
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.