[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>"it's a deep game with choice and consequence"
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 7
File: 1461608038659.jpg (26 KB, 540x720) Image search: [Google]
1461608038659.jpg
26 KB, 540x720
>"it's a deep game with choice and consequence"
>literally just dialogue changes
>>
name 1 video game where your choices have consequences beyond dialogue changes.
>>
File: 1459838618936.png (67 KB, 331x304) Image search: [Google]
1459838618936.png
67 KB, 331x304
>>339210459
>game gives a dialogue choice
>it doesn't make a difference which one you pick
>>
>>339210578
Original Fallouts
>>
>>339210832
how?
>>
File: ASM.png (105 KB, 1081x825) Image search: [Google]
ASM.png
105 KB, 1081x825
>>339210578
Pic related did a lot of it very cleverly. Sometimes it was just like, your positioning in the room or your character's gender/race that deviated the story.
>>
>>339210578
Mass Effect
Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic
Shin Megami Tensei
Undertale
Bioshock
>>
File: 1457772256844.jpg (96 KB, 780x606) Image search: [Google]
1457772256844.jpg
96 KB, 780x606
>>339210459
Why does this dog keep getting stuck everywhere?
>>
>>339210832
/thread
>>
>>339210578
What is Soul Nomad.
>>
>>339211153
If you give your Vault's location to Water Merchants, you get more time to find the Water Chip, but you also get less time to deal with the Super Mutants later on
>>
>>339210578
new vegas lul
>>
File: 1458586310225.png (515 KB, 880x699) Image search: [Google]
1458586310225.png
515 KB, 880x699
Obligatory
>>
>>339210578
>don't kill guy
>he sells you stuff
>kill guy
>he doesn't sell you stuff
Wow that was hard
>>
>>339210578
Witcher games.
>>
>>339210459
>its a deep game with lots of variation and tactical depth and plenty of gamemodes
>its overwatch
>>
>>339212163
Can someone explain the whole ME3 fiasco to someone who never played ME?
>>
>>339211469

game name?
>>
File: whatthefuck2.jpg (74 KB, 540x720) Image search: [Google]
whatthefuck2.jpg
74 KB, 540x720
>>339210459
I felt this way about every single game until Age of Decadence.

>Meh consequences yeah sure whatever
>Mfw literally entire story changed on next playthrough and I erased a whole nation from the plot at only 25% the way in
>mfw I actually badly needed that nation
>>
>>339210459
fringe doge... tried to walk through solid matter
>>
>>339212380

Basically the ending was shit and people got mad.
>>
>>339212380
I have not played it either but to my understanding the devs hyped up the ending to be this big deal that was built up on your choices over the 3 games and it ended up just being 3 choices with slightly different endings. Safe to say it was so awful they released DLC with a revised ending.
>>
>>339212380
They promised an ending that would change based on your choices over the 3 games.
We got only one ending with 3 single choices at the last minute with no consideration for the past games.
>>
>>339210578
Here's a pretty surprising one: Steambot Chronicles.

Its a game thats kind of "slice of life" and happy go lucky and a little bit sandboxy.

You can join the badguys about 60% the way in. One of your sidekicks takes your place as the "main" character going around with your ex love interest who feels betrayed by you. You're all eventually defeated, and the ending has you serve jailtime instead while your badguy buddies get executed. You're released later to a different epilogue where everyone moved on without your criminal ass. Certain areas are off limits, product are unavailable, your band wont play with you anymore, and your love interest hates you. You can then sandbox in that broken fucked up world where even the orphanage wont accept your money.
>>
>>339212380
In the simplest terms, Mass Effect had choice being one of it's defining features. Choice was a selling point in every aspect of the game, and every choice was meant to have a consequence. The game was designed so that the choices you make in one game will have a heavy affect within that game and also effect events in sequels. So you could load your file from ME1 when you start ME2 and you'd be playing the same character who would have to deal with events based on their choices from the previous game. Choices that could vary incredibly wildly and was done on a scale that nobody ever had tried before. The game was enjoyable and people were excited for the promise it held.

For Mass Effect 3 they explicitly stated that all the choices you made over the entire trilogy of games would pay off in seeing how your choices effected the entire galaxy in the end and that it would not be a "Choose something at the end and see how option A, B, or C plays out".

Then they made the ending of the entire trilogy literally an option of A, B, or C right at the very end that ultimately ignored everything you had ever done. And the three variations of the ending were all the same cut scene with very minor differences. Literally everybody was given the same exact ending after being promised that their choices mattered over 3 lengthy games that they played, waiting years for their choices to finally pay of and getting nothing for it.
>>
File: red-green-blue.jpg (21 KB, 464x153) Image search: [Google]
red-green-blue.jpg
21 KB, 464x153
>>339212380
I think it's important to remember that, for years, this was built up as the grand finale to a series where all of your choices would culminate.

But then Bioware got bought out by EA and suddenly stopped giving a shit about quality. So instead of being the game they built up, they instead tried to make it "a good starting point for people new to the series".

All of the choices from before didn't matter. Anything that should have mattered gets completely undone in one way or another, characters that might have died before get replaced by characters that fill the same exact role, etc.

Then it all came down to the ending which the creators pretty specifically said wouldn't be as simple as "choose A, B, or C". Of course, it was just "choose A, B, or C", and they all even looked the same, but with the color of an explosion changed.
>>
>>339212163
>AM discovers video games
>>
>>339210578
Steambot Chronicles.

I wish that game got that fucking sequel.
>>
>>339210578
Chrono Cross. Entire sections of the game and many party members can and will be missed depending on the paths you take.
>>
>>339212551
Always Sometimes Monsters
>>
>>339210578
Banner saga games
>>
>>339212858
I want to know how the Bloody Mantis was defeated, especially if you join them from the start and obliterate everyone. Especially if you can become their leader, since you're basically the strongest guy around.
>>
>>339210578
That remake of Corpse Party on the PC. Depending on what you do and say, party members will die off one by one and that will change how the game develops as well as what endings you get.
>>
>>339210578
Xenoblade Chronicles X, there's a shitload of quests where if you make the wrong choice, NPC dies. Or characters develop differently. Like the Garbage Man Alien kid who will either grows up to stalk a female scientist, or grows up to be a rebellious teen who speaks like a Mexican and your quests with him charges depending on that.
>>
>>339210578
Undertale has two different campaigns and an extra dungeon with new enemies depending on how you play.
>>
>>339214492
Oh shit.

I remember this one quest I did, where you have to rescue two people who are stranded after their helicopter crashed.

I just sped through it because I thought it was just your standard "collect X things" sort of deal.

Then the survivors of the crash ask you to use the items you gathered to fix the helicopter and you're given choices on how to do it. I just chose whatever, since I didn't think it mattered.

The helicopter crashed again later because I did a shit job repairing it.

One of the survivors died.

The other one blames herself, doesn't know it's because I fucked up.

I only found out while exploring the massive hub city and accidentally running into her 50 hours later.
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.