[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is this the game of the year?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 4
Is this the game of the year?
>>
No but it's decent. Liked it more than Dark Souls 3.
>>
>>339207204
I played it without expecting much, but it ended up being better than the Dark Souls series.
Being a metroidvania is what it needed.
>>
Bosses were too samey, the bodybox blocking rolling thing got annoying pretty fast, the platforming sucked massive dick yet it was forced in so many places, the level up system massively discouraged trying things out and was linear and uninteresting as fuck, spells were boring and mostly just recolors

It was eeeeeeeeeeeh
>>
File: V__C415.jpg (945 KB, 1401x2494) Image search: [Google]
V__C415.jpg
945 KB, 1401x2494
>>339207204
>>339207735
I second these opinions.

>>339207996
I felt this way initially, but souls fans want a hard game, one that makes you have to learn to play it the way it was suppose to be played. The platforming IS hard but that adds to the trial and error and witnessing yourself getting better. (or just memorizing the level)
The grey orbs let you try something new and refund points in the skill tree that you dident need.

Conclusion: Fans know what fans want, and because of that this game is as fun as it was to play the original Demons Souls for the first time. However it's still flawed, its trying to be as close to dark souls as it can that it loses the chance to make its own identity. Upgrading weapons takes away the excitement of finding a new weapon (which was always exciting in other metroidvanias) as its so weak compared to your main that you wont bother to try it out. The absolute best thing this game has going for it is local multiplayer. If you still have friends you could potentially play through this whole game together with little hick ups. Give me more couch multiplayer metroidvanias PLEASE.
>>
>>339207996
>Bosses were too samey
all of them had different damage and resistance type, different patterns (melee or ranged), etc.

>the bodybox blocking rolling thing got annoying pretty fast
any action game has that

>the platforming sucked massive dick
It was fine, if anything there wasn't enough of it.
Was it your first metroidvania or something?

>the level up system massively discouraged trying things out
It gave you plenty of special orbs to remove bad choices you did earlier. It was designed so that you needed to plan your build, you can't have a jack of all trades. I think it did that very well.

>spells were boring and mostly just recolors
they all have different range and spread patterns...
>>
>>339207012
>mfw this is basically what the fel beasts look like in my ttrpg
fuck

except they have two eyes, a muzzle, and soft belly
>>
>>339207012
Loved it.

>>339207204
I agree with this mainly because I'm just tired of the same gameplay with dark souls. To be more specific I'm tired of having to choose some light-weight build just so I can roll around and dodge constantly for a boss battle, every boss just feels the same, roll around, back up, attack over and over. There's no room for different styles or interesting combat.

Even in 2D Salt at least had viable character variety
>>
File: the_witch_of_the_lake_small.jpg (9 KB, 400x225) Image search: [Google]
the_witch_of_the_lake_small.jpg
9 KB, 400x225
I want to play this game right now but I cant beat this bitch. Is there some other way i'm suppose to go?
Also i wish the sprites looked less like gaia online characters, the app opening screen makes me cringe.
>>
>>339209202
Damn, that's an easy way to keep people away from your property.
>>
>>339209298
the platforming was made so that you snapped to platforms and the double jump immediately lost all momentum after about a second or so
These made the platforming an experience of 'oh boy, I hope I don't stick incorrectly'

The game was not designed with platforming in mind as these are very, very bad ideas for platformers, you don't see this kind of shit in any 2d game where they expect people to be playing the jump game.

Spells were basically
RED barrage, red fireball, red large rectangle AoE, lightning barrage, lightning fireball, lightning large rectangle AoE

The bodybox blocking rolling was janky as fuck, because there was never any clear idea of where you had to be. On some bosses you had to hug them to not get bodyblocked, others you had leeway. Size didn't really matter that much, just seemed to be 100% random.

Bosses were very same-y, many of the movesets were incredibly alike, yes you had outliers like the bloodborne hunter boss or the spams fire magic boss at the top of the ziggurat, but for the most part once you beat 2-3 bosses you know exactly what to expect in terms of moves from any boss in the game.
>>
>>339207012
A rare example of a game that looks so ugly that i can`t play it no matter how good the gameplay is.
>>
>>339210151
I just killed her with fire barrage.
>>
I want to play this and finish it now that I'm done with DS3. What's the most fun heavy weapon class for strength builds? Thanks
>>
Finally got to play it this week and absolutely loved it, ended up doing 3 playthroughs and now stopped midway on ng+2 since i figured i played enough

Loved the atmosphere and the sense of exploration/adventure
I also got interested in the mistery of the island, instead of just doing my stuff like in souls games

>>339210151
Had trouble with her myself the first time i got to her, especially if she manages to combine ball+spray attack
Try your best to stay under her, don't dodge away from under her skirt even if it's dangerous
'cause it's way worse if she gets you with the spray attack while away
>>
what game is?
>>
>>339210531
Salt and Sanctuary, souls games meeting metroidvania
>>
>>339210672
So... just a souls games then?
>>
>>339210909
do you read english? it's a 2D take on a 3D game, no it's not just another souls game.
>>
>>339210672

Disgusting.
>>
File: 1463709087956.png (204 KB, 1440x900) Image search: [Google]
1463709087956.png
204 KB, 1440x900
>>
The fish eyes look really bad at the start, then they get kinda funny, and then they're kinda just there

Fuck me if they looked cute on the thief though
>>
>>339210672
>souls

Into the fucking dumpster.
>>
>>339207012
Nah, too short. But its fun. Well worth a playthrough or two
>>
>>339211158
>implying metroidvania is 2D-only
>>
>>339211632
You misunderstand. Salt IS 2d, like construction paper
>>
>>339207996
>level up system massively discouraged trying things out and was linear
What the fuck, it's A HUEG TREE
>>
>>339207012
It's certainly good, but to me it pales in comparison to the other games. Some of it's problems stem from it being 2D to me
>Boss attack wind ups do damage
>You can't roll through bosses from too far away, leaving you open if you fuck up the unclear dodge distance.
>THOSE FLAME SKULLS
>Less options to avoid attacks since you're on a 2D plane

My favorite parts were when it tried to do it's own thing, like with the wall jumps and the gravity shifts. Overall it's at least decent though.
>>
>>339211468
Dark Souls is mediocre, but this is good stuff. It basically takes ideas from the franchise, polishes them and make them new again.
>>
>>339211632
It is
>>
>>339211550
It took me 60 hours for a single playthrough, that's more than any normal game
>>
>>339211632
what the fuck are you talking about, the whole genre is based on side-scrolling...
>>
>>339212147
How did it take you 60, it took me 23 and that was with a lot of getting lost and alttab afk
>>
>>339212147
That means you died. A lot.
>>
>>339211967
it was a huge tree of +1 to a stat nodes where every single piece of equipment was locked behind FFXII license board BS, so if you wanted to try out multiple things you would be heavily, heavily gimped because if you wanted to do something like spellblade, you'd have to pay all the points to go real heavy into melee just to be able to equip decent swords
>>
>>339210386
no recommendations?
>>
>>339212273
But those stats matter anyway since you don't want to have low endurance or the like
>>
>>339212218
>>339212237
I was level 110 when I finished.
I just explored every nook and cranny, maxed devotion with all creeds, etc.
>>
>>339212286
>>339210386
I played my 2nd play with kureima -> shrouded bulwark, then ng+ switched to scharfrichter
Only time i switched to a shield was to be a cunt and block the krakean wyrm fire breath

Greatswords are a lot of fun, but apparently they're kinda op or so i've read after i cleared
>>
>>339212273
The most powerful Strength+Magic sword (Northern Cross) is level 3.
In any case, if you want to go Spellblade you need a balanced Strength and Magic build.
>>
>>339207012
No but I liked it a lot, I mean to get back into it. I played it before DS3 to hold me over but got busy so I couldn't finish it. I thought it took the combat and adapted really well for 2D. Even did things like PVE covenants better than DS.
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.