[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Shin Megami Tensei
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2
File: Shin_Megami_Tensei_The_First.jpg (139 KB, 241x388) Image search: [Google]
Shin_Megami_Tensei_The_First.jpg
139 KB, 241x388
Where would I start with this series?
I only speak English.
>>
Devil Survivor was my first SMT. You can also try Strange Journey if you want something more like the rest of the series. Or, if you don't mind playing the old games first, just go with Shin Megami Tensei I and II for the SFC.
>>
>>339194136
SMT1 translation

Don't listen to shitters who tell you to start with Persona 3. It's missing huge franchise defining features and is in no way similar tone wise.
>>
>>339194568
I started with P3 and have no regrets.
>>
>>339194640
Congrats? Doesn't change facts, there is no reason to play Persona 3 first if you want to get into the series.
>>
>>339194136
SMT IV is a good starting point.
Soul Hackers is a good old school one.
Nocturne is the best one overall, but significantly harder than those ones.
Digital Devil Saga and the Raidou Kuzunoha games are great spinoffs and can be played anytime.
>>
>>339194568
I started with SMT 1 and would say its easy to get into regardless of where you start. The only one I would advise against is SMT 4. I can't explain it but its... just bad.
>>
>>339194136
OP here, I'll be honest. No idea where to start after you've all replied. Someone mind an ELI5 explanation?
>>
Nocturne, IV, Strange Journey, and DDS are all very good entry points
>>
File: 1433743838922.png (3 MB, 1600x4054) Image search: [Google]
1433743838922.png
3 MB, 1600x4054
>>339194931
Really there is no 'bad' entry point
Just pick one that's not a direct sequel and go with it
>>
>>339194847
SMT isn't exactly rocket science, I agree. I don't think it's possible to ever really get stuck, or end up with a bad build.

>>339194931
To sum it up, the story in each game is usually not directly connected, so it comes down to what is most accessible.

The mainline-styled games that are worth playing are SMT1, 2, Nocturne, Strange Journey, and Soul Hackers. Take your pick, and branch off from there.
>>
>>339194931
If you want massive amounts of dialogue, Persona 3 or 4.
Medium amounts of dialogue, Soul Hackers.
If you want people to fuck off and let you explore, SMT3 (aka Nocturne) or DDS 1 then 2.
If you want to play Pokemon, Devil Kids.
If you want action and not turn based game, then Raidou.

Literally, just pick one that looks neat and ins't a direct sequel and go for it. That pretty much just means avoid Soul Journey 2 and Devil Survivor 2.
>>
>>339194931

Just pick one that seems good. I started with the first, but that's what I do with everything. Been itching to play II-IV Final, but I want to get through Persona 4 first.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.