[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Virtual Reality
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 4
File: 1db.png (117 KB, 416x281) Image search: [Google]
1db.png
117 KB, 416x281
Itt we discuss whether VR is or isn't the future of gaming.

Motion control has been a thing for a really short time, it was fun to wave our hands at a sensor bar, but that was it, and that's wwhy I'm kinda skeptical about VR. But desu last week I had the chance to try it (in an exhibition, so nothing gaming-related) and have to say that it actually is a pretty immersive and fun experience. Still, I don't think it will take over traditional gaming.
>>
I don't want VR to fail like a lot of /v/ seems to but I don't see it ever taking over traditional gaming. The more peripheral you get involved the less likely I am to boot you up at the end of a long day.

As it stands its a very neat gimmick. Argue if you want, its a gimmick. When it becomes affordable it'll be a wonderful addition to a lot of games.
>>
It's not going to overtake traditional gaming anytime soon. I'm a VR dev and I don't think I've met anyone that actually believes that, it's a strawman made by haters.

I mean in the far future where you can put a machine capable of driving 16k graphics in your glasses, contacts, or implants or whatever, you might play all your traditional screen games on a VR screen, but the concept of playing games on flat screen won't go away just like board games haven't gone away.
>>
Having had an Oculus DK1, DK2, and consumer Vive... Room Scale VR is fucking amazing (Vive) and the seated-with-controller experience (Oculus) is a gimmick except for space Sims and racers.

VR is going to do great as more devs and people realize that old game structures don't work well for VR, and they should be developing new experiences.
>>
>>339151907
Controller-based VR will always be shit because the point of all these devices to deliver visual and audio info in "realistic" way is to simulate really being in the game, but then you still control your body with a KB+M or controller. That is just one huge conflict and the detachment is just too much.

The only real future is for them to figure out how to create a direct neural interface and feed the game directly to your brain rather than going through the filter of your real senses. Just hope some literal madman doesn't trap your mind in some kind of hardcore survival death game.
>>
To me it seems like VR would be too exhausting for the average gamer
>>
>>339152958
Board games haven't gone away, but they're not as popular as thay were, they're not the "mainstream" games to say the very least: therefore I guess you're saying that in a far future VR WILL overtake traditional gaming, right?
>>
'VR' isn't the future of gaming (it isn't even VR)

VR is all about immersion and a sense of presence
you can play in, at the absolute best, a medium sized room with no obstacles
any game set in anything other than a room with no obstacles requires seperating your movement from your ingame movement, thus losing the immersion that is the point of VR in the first place
how many engaging games can you make where you can't even walk out of a single room? there's barely any use for it outside of novelty games which is why novelty games are the only thing that exist for it.
People keep saying "oh wait for the new experiences" like someone's going to somehow invent a type of game that can be amazing given these huge limitations. It's not going to happen.
>>
There is only one type of game in which VR would work well, and that's vehicle games. Ones that sit you in a chair and have you driving a car or flying a plane or something. Flight sims, euro trucking sim, ect.
>>
>>339153674
That depends on whether you think a game is VR simply because you play it on a VR headset.
I would consider playing a traditional game with a controller where you play on a virtual screen as still a traditional game.

There is still the very real problem of locomotion which won't be solved any time soon. Room-scale is just a stopgap, it works great, but your are limited to a world the size of your room. So there are still advantages to playing traditional style games.
>>
>>339154123
>I would consider playing a traditional game with a controller where you play on a virtual screen as still a traditional game.
so would I, that's not VR, thats just a normal game with a more uncomfortable screen strapped to your head. it'll be fun for a bit as a gimmick but you'll get tired of it go back to using a normal screen after a while.

>Room-scale is just a stopgap
there's absolutely no way to simulate real motion short of wiring directly into your brain or somehow fabricating an entire world in real life
you can have all the stupid treadmill contraptions but none of them will ever allow you the full freedom of movement a normal video game has
>>
Nintendo killed their motion controls just as they were getting good. Waggling the remote so far had been a chore because it felt so pointless, but the motion plus games like Skyward Sword and Red Steel 2 actually made use of the directional input, giving more variations than whats possible with a ordinary controller, unless you use advanced stick movement like in Fight night. If they wouldve kept the motion controls and continued evolving them I think it wouldve been really cool by now. Instead they abandoned it and released a controller with a screen innit...
>>
>>339154416
> thats just a normal game with a more uncomfortable screen strapped to your head.
Hence why I said it won't really have a chance of overtaking without it being 16k res in a glasses/contact form factor, in which case it is a normal screen you can take everywhere.

>you can have all the stupid treadmill contraptions but none of them will ever allow you the full freedom of movement a normal video game has

How so? I've tried them, you can still crouch, jump, lean, and pretty much everything common except for completely prone on the ground. You can also move at a different scale than 1:1 with them without getting motion sick unlike room-scale. It's very, very close to normal video game movement and far better than room-scale for types of games possible to play.
>>
for the current generation of headsets it's too early to tell. i think they were still a bit early for the technology. but it's possible that they will gather more of a following as they get cheaper, and as the systems needed to run VR games get cheaper

oculus are like a bull in a china shop. they don't care about 'future proofing' vr, they only care about their margins. htc and valve have the long term in mind, but will there be a long term? maybe oculus are the smart ones for just trying to cash in and get out

nobody really knows how to design VR games right now. most games i see are reminiscent of early-80s arcade games, maybe even a little older. the VR medium has a lot of limitations that developers aren't used to working with. i don't know how severely those limitations are going to inhibit VR game design. again, only time will tell.

apparently google is getting in on the VR shit now. i wouldn't be surprised if we see more companies using VR in the future. hopefully they will be using openVR. the one thing we don't want is a platform war, that will destroy the whole ecosystem

for the meantime, i think the only thing we can agree on is: microsoft hololens is a fucking terrible idea
>>
File: dog.webm (2 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
dog.webm
2 MB, 1280x720
Would you pet it /v/
>>
>>339154961
so what happens when you walk into a wall and you're instantly disconnected from your real-life movement?
>>
>>339154431
I believe that Nintendo saw that the intrest in motion control was warm, that most people preferred old-fashioned control, and that even a further development (such as kinect) wouldn't change their mind.

>>339154123
>>339153801
Let's face it: less than a 15% of gamers would run around (or wathever is required to move the in-game character) every single night for a couple of hours. That's why I believe that the VR headset will be the furthest development in console (or PC) based gaming. Maybe there will be places where you can go to play a more immersive experience, like you would go to play paintball or bowling, but that things will never be in our houses, I think.
>>
File: The future.jpg (75 KB, 769x360) Image search: [Google]
The future.jpg
75 KB, 769x360
>>339155048
>Hololens
>terrible
Nigga AR is the actual future instead of VR

VR will be for games and/or other immersive applications, while AR will be everywhere from ads to enhancing normal every day activities with overlays
Hololens only problem is the tiny ass FoV (40 degrees IIRC), something that is kind of expected for a first gen product
>>
>>339155129
Are you talking about walking into a physical wall or a virtual wall? Physical wall is unlikely to happen, Chaperone system reminds of you physical space to keep that from happening, and a treadmill obviously keeps you on it. Virtual wall you clip through it in most games, but that's unlikely to happen unintentionally as our mind doesn't like walking through things.
>>
>>339155546
Also the fact that it only works well in low light environments and you can't see shit under normal circumstances.
>>
File: 1365792193598.png (41 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
1365792193598.png
41 KB, 300x300
>>339151907
Oh hey I read this doujin, is it finished yet? Last thing I remember was when the guy found out one of his erp buddies lived in the same complex as him.
>>
>>339155546
>something that is kind of expected for a first gen product
It isn't really possible to increase the FOV the way they are doing things. Microsoft even explicitly said this. low FOV has nothing to do with it being a first-gen product.
>>
>>339155765
It's dead jim
>>
>>339155594
if there's a game where you can clip through any wall it could barely be called a game
that's just the tip of the iceberg, i mean you can't simulate a hand-to-hand fight with somebody, you can't simulate any sort of physical interaction without making increasingly more impractical machines
you can only fool your sight and hearing
>>
>>339156007
>if there's a game where you can clip through any wall it could barely be called a game

It depends on the game on how they avoid clipping, and you still haven't confirmed whether you are talking about roomscale or treadmill as that makes a big difference on what you can do for that. Treadmill you can do the standard not allowed to clip through things. You will feel uncomfortable with that, but so does running into a wall in reality.

And yes, physical interaction is much further away from being simulated, but it's still a better abstraction than sitting at a desk with mouse + kb. The physical and mental intensity of using your entire body to play is a much bigger issue in VR vs traditional games.
>>
>>339156670
>but it's still a better abstraction than sitting at a desk with mouse + kb
it's not supposed to be an abstraction
that's the whole point
when you're playing a normal game you can make things happen to your character that don't happen to you in real life like being hit or walking into a wall or falling down a hole
in virtual reality, if any of those things happen to you, they don't actually happen to your body, which instantly breaks the immersion, which restricts VR to being basically a fancy amusement park ride
>>
>>339155110
Valve would make a lot of money if they made those in real life and sold them right before Christmas.
>>
>>339151907
I think VR still has uses without motion controls.

It'd be a decent way to control your camera when you would prefer not to put your right thumb on the right stick.

But for the most part, i think it'll mostly be used for gimmicks.
>>
it isn't, the headsets require games to be made specifically for them
>>
>>339157487
>it's not supposed to be an abstraction
that's the whole point

All games are abstractions. That's the whole point. If it isn't an abstraction, it isn't a game.

>in virtual reality, if any of those things happen to you, they don't actually happen to your body, which instantly breaks the immersion, which restricts VR to being basically a fancy amusement park ride

And yet people still get immersed at times while playing games on screens. Just because you may not feel fully immersed in VR at all times for all game interactions, doesn't mean it doesn't have value for the times that it does or that it isn't enjoyable. That value may not be enough to get a lot of people to buy a headset, but that's really immaterial as long as some do and development continues to hit 16K and a comfortable portable form factor. Once you have that you can do everything you can on a normal screen, because your eyes will literally be incapable of telling the difference between a physical screen versus a virtual screen. At that point VR/AR/screens all become essentially the same thing and you'll simply use that one device for all visual technology.
>>
>>339151907
What can I do to use motion sensors with oculus? Q3 is a long ways away to go without something to interact with things.
>>
>>339159215
Leap Motion has finally got gud with the latest updates. Also hydra, if you can get your hands on one, makes the Rift playable with all the Vive stuff.
>>
>>339151907
And hello real world because that nausea and pained eyes.

Your eye cells are getting a close up whack of electro magnetic fields.

Btw a smart meter (WiFi) can kill plant material in a 1 meter radius and that is also EMF though different and more powerful.
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.