[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do you have any tips or advice for amateur game developer?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 7
File: 1445892613429.png (209 KB, 510x346) Image search: [Google]
1445892613429.png
209 KB, 510x346
Do you have any tips or advice for amateur game developer?
>>
die
>>
>>339148401
you don't need to be rude you faggot
>>
>>339147479
Cause some controversy with GG or SJWs to generate publicity.
>>
Suck off Brianna wu while telling him he's a pretty girl for free SJW publicity.
>>
>>339147479
Start simple but finish what you start.

If you can make a fully functional Tetris clone with menus and high score, you'll learn more and be miles ahead of every other guy who puts a 3d model and story blurb on screen but has no real gameplay. Graphics are a trap, in that they'll take a lot of time to make and slow you down. Use squares/cubes/sprites you found on google as placeholders and push your understanding of the mechanics of development instead.

Well, that's true if you want to learn of make a *game*. if you discover yu wanna leanr 3d engine programming, that's fine too and you can go into the complex 3d model stuff, but you won't be making a game, not before a few years.

Also also there's no shame in using middleware like UE4/Unity/Game Maker/Mugen to take care of the gruntwork if you don't wanna be a programmer.

So I guess the key takeaway is know what you want to make, and focus on that.
>>
>>339147479
Never ever start with "dream" game. Begin with something simple, and inside of your abilities. Don't push game out of yourself like it's chore. Don't even hope to get big bucks. Don't listen to advices and do things in your own pace.
>>
File: 1456442353491.jpg (171 KB, 680x994) Image search: [Google]
1456442353491.jpg
171 KB, 680x994
>>339148924
>>339148993
thank god there is some brain left in /v/
>>
Make games in the genre of cute girls doing cute things.
>>
>>339147479
Be genuine, make the kind of game you would enjoy.
Don't try to make your first project into your dream game, allow yourself to practice and learn how stuff works first.
>>
File: playing Sentinel in simple mode.jpg (367 KB, 960x1200) Image search: [Google]
playing Sentinel in simple mode.jpg
367 KB, 960x1200
>>339147479
When the power drops, go in like the US marshal and his three daughters
>>
>>339147479
Don't watch anime, ever.
>>
>>339148924
Addendum: "finish what you start" is the most important

You'll learn everything else form that. It sounds simple but it's actually one of the harsher acts in making something and the most useful thing. Finishing a project means you may have to change, cut or renounce things in the name of getting done. It'll mean turning your dream game into a real game that may be a lot more disappointing to you, but actually something that exists. The point on which a developer will be judged is how many projects he finished, not how many he started.

And the more stuff you finish, the better you'll become at estimating what a project you can finish is, and the better and faster you'll be at it, eventually becoming able to make bigger projects. But an unfinished project is useless for that purpose.
>>
Tip 1) learn German
Tip 2) make simulator "games", you'll be rolling in money
>>
i am not experienced but in alot of classes of amateur game developers they say you ideas are worth nothing
you have to do something doesnt matter how simple that is but it gives some insight that you are ready to do it.
i guess start by familiarizing with basic things which will help you later. alot of companies or people say alot of devs dont know what they are doing they just have memorized the ways and dont really know the logic behind them
well keep up
>>
>>339147479
Have fun.
Consider coding like if it was some sort of autistic game like minecraft, and get your fun out of accomplishing things and setting higher goals and making a bunch of crappy small test games just to git gud.

Also realism is good, but only when its not on the path of fun, for example, regular earth gravity is too floaty for platformers, and its a common american developer mistake to use it.
>>
File: 1393715006125.gif (1012 KB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
1393715006125.gif
1012 KB, 500x281
>>339148993
>"Don't listen to advices"
>proceeds to give advice
>>
>>339148401

O i'm laffin

This is the only correct answer.
>>
>>339147479
Learn how to make connections when you want to make higher quality games. Most people have said start simple, which is true, but afterwards when you want to make THE GOOD STUFF, you need to learn how to be a team player/leader and keep everyone focused while not being a massive cunt.

This is from a play tester for a game no one really knows on here (SJW bullshit rpg thing), and the director or whatever you'll call it was a fucking twat and expected way too much in a small amount of time. He also was unprofessional to me, simply because he thought "lol I'm just letting you play my game for free." I wish I didn't waste a whole month on this.
>>
File: 1410396112439.gif (109 KB, 209x193) Image search: [Google]
1410396112439.gif
109 KB, 209x193
>>339147479
Come up with something unique without making the unique aspect a puzzle aspect.
Devs often seem to think that it's as simple as "Unique game = good sales, so if I give it this unique type of puzzle it will do well".

What's hard to do is a game that's unique without being puzzle based at all.
>>
>>339150764

Which game?
>>
>>339147479
no, don't even think about taking any sort of """"advice"""" from /v/.
/v/ doesn't even play videogames let alone have any idea about making them.
>>
>>339147479
Get a work ethic, faggot.
Never fucking quit
Make fun goddamn stuff, not stuff that looks pretty but is boring.
Don't promise anything unless you're sure you can do it
Etc
>>
honest question here;
are you a 1MA or are you doing programming? someone else is doing music, someone who is drawing, etc
>>
File: Falco college.jpg (1 MB, 770x3457) Image search: [Google]
Falco college.jpg
1 MB, 770x3457
>>339150764
Was that game pic related?
>>
>>339152934
I legitimately wonder what goes through:
A) His head to think that he needs $150k
B) Donor's heads to think that he needs $150k
C) Donor's heads to even look twice at that garbage
>>
do you guys have any more?
>>
File: the comedy of reality.jpg (150 KB, 960x1200) Image search: [Google]
the comedy of reality.jpg
150 KB, 960x1200
>>339154902
>>
>>339155103
i mean advices/tips
>>
>>339153310
Anon, you´re a gamer. For that very reason you believe in meritocracy - that someone should be judged in their accomplishments.

That guy is clearly part of the leftists indie gamer group, and those people and their entire culture are based about victim culture, nepotism and circlejerks. In fact, those three elements are the only thing to keep their world views intact.

The only reason he got that much money was because he hang with the right crowd and adopted the right ideas. You can be certain that even though he fucks drugged-out whores he´s a rabid feminist.
>>
>>339147479
Stop being amateur and become pro
>>
>>339156473
how
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.