[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Assuming Yooka-Laylee delivers, what would you like Playtonic
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 5
File: 91.gif (6 KB, 69x90) Image search: [Google]
91.gif
6 KB, 69x90
I really think we haven't had a game like DKC since they released. Nothing quite feels like those games, and I think they understand that a big part of the appeal is the pre-rendered look. I don't think it's far fetched to think they'd shoot for that aesthetic again, and I'd have to say that'd be fucking neato. Of course a big part is getting those tight controls just right with the jump-canceling of your attacks
>>
Spiritual successor to Donkey Kong Racing?

Spiritual successor to Sabre Man?

Spiritual successor to Dinosaur Planet?
>>
Twooka-Laylee
>>
>>339140798

Problems is they really don't need to

Retro already did a fantastic as fuck job with Tropical Freeze

Playtonic should go for a gameplay style that wasn't used in a while, maybe like Conker or better yet a spiritual successor to Sabre Man that never released
>>
>>339140798
Go play DKC Returns or the even better sequel Tropical Freeze. They capture the spirit of the originals wonderfully.
>>
>>339141078
Not the OP here but my main concern with the DK series is that who's going to keep developing for it? Nintendo might not know what to do with it.

See, this already happened to DK after Rare left Nintendo. After the buyout, they kinda threw the series around, making weird spinoffs like King of Swing, Jungle Beat, Jungle Climber, Donkey Konga, Barrel Blast, etc. It wasn't until it was given to Retro Studios where we finally got a proper Country game. But by the sounds of things, it sounds like Retro is going to move on to a new IP or something, effectively leaving DK back in limbo.

I'd be kinda interested in seeing Nintendo approach Playtonic about (assuming YL turns out well) because well, most of their team consists of the same division at Rare that worked on DKC1&2 before they moved onto Banjo. It'd be kinda like if Capcom approached Hideki Kamyia and Platinum Games to make a new DMC for them.
>>
>>339141078
>>339141204
>>339141078
I love Tropical Freeze, don't get me wrong. It has some level design that really gave Rareware a run for their money.

But it doesn't at all feel like a Donkey Kong Country game to me. It just feels like a new Donkey Kong sidescroller. Comparisons to NSMB aren't fair because it deserves more than that, but visually it kind of feels that way at least. And the physics of it all are its own beast. Not better or worse per say, just different.

But holy hell did they outdo themselves with the music. My god. Lockjaw saga's reprise forced me to stop playing and soak it in.
>>
>yfw Nintendo buys Playtonic
>Yooka in Smash 5
>>
They should make a unique and new project instead of ebin spiritual successors. At that point might as well hire them to work on existing IPs or something.

There is nothing lazier than only making spiritual successors. It stifles creativity.
>>
>>339140962
Sabre man was good?

>>339141371
I think people Nintendo is capable of way more at once than they actually are. They just seem completely incapable of contiuing all the sidescrollers they started. DKC, Yoshi's, Wario Lands, Kirby games--even shit like Mario is lagging behind when it comes to say, Mario Strikers or even with the mainline titles. The Wii U was supposed to get a Galaxy successor and everyone knows it.
>>
>>339141536
But Yooka Laylee is introducing a lot of fresh concepts to the Banjo formula. What else could /v/ ask for but to have their favorite classics expanded upon with new ideas? Nobody is really making those. Aren't there loads of fresh gameplay concepts coming out all the time with indies anyway?

It doesn't seem as if the most fondly remembered Rareware work is on the experimental side of things
>>
>>339141048
Too soon
>>
>>339140798
If it's not shit, then I'd like to see them take shots at derivatives of old Rare games too, like Killer Instict or Dinosaur Planet, so we can go back to the days of healthy competition in genres.
I'd love to see them team up with Ninty and make a Donkey Kong 64 2 so I can flush the bad taste of Returns out of my mouth. It'd get me back onto buying the company's shit too.
>>
>>339141989
they speak fondly of nintendo still. I think a collaboration is very possible if yooka laylee turns some heads
>>
>>339142197
It's going to be on Weeyoo, if you have one I'd buy it on there.
>>
>>339141989
>returns is shit but dk64 is good

Shit taste
>>
>>339141638
Sabre man is unreleased.
>>
>>339141989
What's wrong with DKCR?
>>
>>339140962
>poor man's Mario Kart, without any popular characters backing it
>cancelled game
>poor man's Zelda
Great ideas.
>>
>>339141989
I have NEVER read such an ass backwards opinion
>>
>>339141763
Yooka Laylee is fine since they needed that nostalgia bait to be able to take off, but if it succeeds they will be able to start doing new things, which is preferable.
>>
>>339142662
This, that anon is fucking bonkers
>>
>>339140798
anything with a good artstyle, i still think Donkey Kong 64 is one of the betterlooking games evr made, solely based on look & feel.
>>
>>339144459
>>poor man's Mario Kart
Patrician's Mario Kart*
If you prefer SM64 to DKR you're a pleb.

>>cancelled game
Yeah. Your point?

>>poor man's Zelda
Would have been cool to see Rare's unrestricted take on the 3D action-adventure genre. Their "poor man's Mortal Kombat" and "poor man's Super Mario 64" were pretty great.
>>
>>339141496
Would Playtonic want to be bought by someone after what happened with Microsoft.
>>
>>339145629

Donkey Kong Returns was the worst game in the Country series and Killer Instinct/Banjo Kazooie, while alright in their own right, are garbage when directly compared to actual fighting games/Mario 64 respectively.
>>
>>339140798
I desperately want a sequel to Donkey Kong 64 that reduces the collectathon aspect.
>>
>>339146695
I doubt it, and even if they did, they'd probably make sure they still have the biggest share in the company.
>>
>>339146841
That's what I'm thinking, maybe go for the 50/50 deal they had with Nintendo before.
>>
Twelve Tales: Conker 64
>>
>>339146809
you're a hyperbolic faggot desu
>>
>>339140798
To be bought by Nintendo
>>
>>339141989
>DK64
>Good
Slow and clunky
Shit Camera
So many collectibles that it becomes a chore to even advance one level. Oh and these collectibles need to be collected with specific characters in just the bulk of the levels
>>
>>339148348
Really would have benefited from having only three characters (DK, Diddy, and fucking Dixie, not Tiny) instead of five. Lanky and Chunky really don't feel like they contribute much other than comic relief.
>>
File: 1418049217028.gif (188 KB, 249x255) Image search: [Google]
1418049217028.gif
188 KB, 249x255
>>339148697
>he doesn't like the patrician choice of the Kongs
>>
>>339146809
DKR is Diddy Kong Racing you retard, Returns wasn't even made by Rare, it isn't comparable to SM64, and it would be DKCR
>>
>>339148697
Nah, all the characters were fine and Tiny instead of Dixie worked.

The only problem was that it was required to play as each of them in each area to get all the collectables. Just make them all optional playstyles instead of mandatory for collecting, except maybe their golden bananas, and the game's good to go.
>>
>>339149039
I liked him before he was a meme.
>>
Diddy Kong Racing remake straight up I think would be the best for the current Playtonic Team. They are getting racing exposure with the minecart guy too.

I'd love to see a new Jet Force Gemini, but it almost seems like they'd need to expand their team quite a bit to bring it into modern day.

We don't really need a DKC game as Returns and Tropical Freeze have scratched that itch.

Would love for them to just do another pet project that is creative like Viva Pinata. The passion to make a good game is what is making Yooka Laylee look so great, so I'd rather not confine them to "a modern day n64 title" for their next game
>>
File: HE HAS LONG ARMS HOLY SHIT.jpg (143 KB, 232x9456) Image search: [Google]
HE HAS LONG ARMS HOLY SHIT.jpg
143 KB, 232x9456
>>339149984
He was my favourite as a kid, HEposting just gave me another reason to enjoy the DK Rap on /v/.
>>
>>339150126
>Would love for them to just do another pet project that is creative like Viva Pinata.
THIS
>>
I want another fucking kart racer.
>>
Playtonic need to work with Nintendo and create a new Donkey Kong Country. Returns and Tropical Freeze were shit.
>>
File: 1343096620289.jpg (9 KB, 177x278) Image search: [Google]
1343096620289.jpg
9 KB, 177x278
I think the most obvious project they will most likely attempt is a new FPS IP in the vein of Goldeneye/Perfect Dark/Timesplitters with a mix of lots of unlockables, old school level design/challenges, huge focus on multiplayer customization, and a blend of modern FPS mechanics with old school FPS mechanics.

At least that's what I want to have happen anyway
>>
>>339146841
>>339146695
They said they'd hate to be controlled again but didn't deny working with other companies and devs later down the line.

Otherwise though they aren't selling themselves again.
>>
File: 1463251624014.jpg (65 KB, 752x789) Image search: [Google]
1463251624014.jpg
65 KB, 752x789
>>339150803
>Tropical Freeze were shit.
"Not as good" maybe but awful?
Get out
>>
>>339150803
if they were shit it shows just how limited a 2d platformer starring donkey kong can be, and why would they go from multiplat to exclusive? that helps no one
>>
>finally bring back 3d platformers
>"they should make a 2d platformer"

literally kill yourselves if you think they should waste time on making the billionth 2d platformer instead of anything else
>>
>>339142662
This desu
>>
>>339150929
Wrong team.
>>
>>339150163
HE
>>
>>339140962
What were all of these going to be like?
>>
>>339150303
Which barn did DKR?

>>339150803
It's not the same Nintendo anymore, let it go.
Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.