[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
what went wrong?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 10
File: header.jpg (33 KB, 460x215) Image search: [Google]
header.jpg
33 KB, 460x215
what went wrong?
>>
Shit engine.
>>
We live in a casual age.
>>
Tryhard community for a game that used to just be good fun.
>>
>>339138995
Shit community.
>>
>>339140602
This.

>>339140570
Nothing "professional" about it.
Hive spawns next to marines? GG.
Marines just decide to group up and shotgun push before you get fades? GG.
Survive til late game? Marine upgrades are vastly superior to xenos. GG.

I'v played at least 200 hours, and xenos only win with a rush at the very start or when it's heavily team stacked.
>>
>>339140893
I'm talking about why it failed in terms of sales and reception generally, not it's objective quality as a game. When the game was released to the world the aliens got trashed each and every round because newfags couldn't be bothered to learn how to play each class and stacked Marine instead. It's only high level play where aliens get beaten by hypercompetent FPS players.
>>
>>339139693
this lol
>>
Doomed from the start. The game ran like shit for years despite looking like shit. People were afraid to buy it and people were getting tired of the shit performance. Add on dumb decisions and unreal loading times and you have yourself a botched game.
>>
Stopped bothering with the game when they allowed mechs to abuse the mass recall.
>>
it took them yeeeeeeeeeeeearrsssssss to get a working game

i remember when we still played NS1 and they announced NS2 and showed some screens and some tech demos of that alien shit growing dynamically around the map

years later some friend tried to sell me into buying the early access thing to play the demo with him, and i didnt do it, i just remember how terrible the performance was in videos i saw about it

then the game came out, but it wasnt really the same anymore, it felt different, without a dedicated squad there was barely any teamplay

loading into maps took me aageesss too
>>
File: U63OZ.jpg (82 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
U63OZ.jpg
82 KB, 1920x1080
>>339138995

>tfw I'll never be a super useful healing-pig, belly-sliding around keeping my ayyylien brethren alive while literally spitting into the eyes of humies
>>
Nothing?
>>
File: Evolve_Box_Art.png (234 KB, 295x338) Image search: [Google]
Evolve_Box_Art.png
234 KB, 295x338
This released and pretty much sealed the fate of Natural Selection.
>>
>>339142025
And then instantly died too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7M4RwGwQslM
>>
File: nothing of value was lost.jpg (92 KB, 604x358) Image search: [Google]
nothing of value was lost.jpg
92 KB, 604x358
>>339142129
>>
I wasn't a fan of how tiny the maps where. I get that they are all space stations, but I would have liked to have more open areas.
>>
The game is pretty good, but the community is very small and it's hard to get into.
>>
Nothing really, RTS games where players are your units are a very hard to get into genre.

For example
>>339140893
Points out all its flaws from a basic level, though the game has way more depth if the players knew what they were doing.
>>
Shit balance and less asymmetric teams

>Alien commander
>self-assembling Alien buildings that are placed by the commander
>Marine team needs dedicated builders while the whole alien team can focus on attacking
>On top of that there are no generators anymore instead you have fixed electricity nodes in the map
> Breaking a node will disable all marine buildings in the area, even the resource collection buildings
> Locations of these nodes are usually exposed, for example just under vents
> Marine commander needs to buy gear for the whole team while aliens can individually buy upgrades and new lifeforms
> Marines only have one resource pool which is used both for the gear and buildings
>Aliens have two pools, one for the commander who builds all the structures. Each alien player has his own pool for upgrades and lifeforms
>Marine and Alien resource pools replenish almost at the same rate, marines get resources sligthly faster
>Que marine team losing 90% of the time due to shit design and balance
>>
>>339142909
Are you high? Or are you just talking about some different, but similar, game?
>>
File: header.jpg (38 KB, 460x215) Image search: [Google]
header.jpg
38 KB, 460x215
Reminder that this is out.
>>
>>339142909

I love the assymetric teams, but really they are a nightmare to balance especially with the level of differences NS2 had.

Game could've still done a lot better with this balance if it wasnt for the fuckton of technical issues they had, and if the idea of a "commander" would not fly facefirst into todays dumbshit audience.
>>
>>339143358
Or it just might be that the balance has shifted from time to time. It was almost impossible to win marines when i played this game.
>>
Literally nothing went wrong. It's a much better game than NS1. The only problem is that casuals could not handle it.
>>
>>339143410

>early access

thats not "out" at all
Is this by S2 or who the fuck were making HoN?
or am I confusing it with something else
>>
One of my favorite video game soundtracks of all time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ol7zkoO9w4M&list=PLG9VdF932HdCGah1NJ6W-EYjbw5mhOtMR
>>
>>339142909
>>Que marine team losing 90% of the time due to shit design and balance

This is bullshit. The teams have a roughly 50% win/lose ratio.
>>
File: Gorges.webm (3 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
Gorges.webm
3 MB, 1280x720
2,000 hours NS2 player here. I know the complete history from release (but wasn't in the beta)

At release the game was quite clunky. It suffered from horrible framerates and long loadtimes but the game wasn't too bad to play at that point in time.

Then came the competitive focus. This was largely driven by Hugh Jeremy, the public relations manager of the developer, Unknown Worlds. This guy advocated a strictly competition driven approach to the game at a point in time where what was really needed was a tutorial and rookie servers to ease players in the game. They released a patch which brought in the Biomass system, completely changing the way the game was played. It was designed to balance the gameplay but really ended up making it less enjoyable particularly because the side already ahead would typically stay ahead resulting in very dissatisfying "stackfest" games where the elite players would rip rookies to shreds and essentially cause them to quit from continual abuse. After that patch the playerbase plummeted. I stayed on because I knew how to play but I was honestly disgusted with Hugh's treatment of the game and so was the entire community. This stupid cunt is now involved in Subnautica so watch out. His business skills were so poor he actually thought it was a good idea to release a mostly untested patch the same day as a sale. Let's just say that weekend was an utter fucking disaster.

For the next 2 years the game stayed on life support. I got to know the community very well as we all played together on weeknights. The only real changes in those 2 years were new and unimpressive maps like Kodiak and Eclipse.

CONTINUED
>>
>>339144481
That makes me sad.
>>
File: 1460439250851.jpg (198 KB, 684x626) Image search: [Google]
1460439250851.jpg
198 KB, 684x626
I've never played the first one, bought this game in 2013 and for a period of time the game would just stuck in an endless loading for me. I tried to go back lately because the atmosphere was rad as well as being able to play commanders, the feeling of playing a RTS game with real players as units gave me a boner but the game is mostly dead, the combat is too tedious and the performances is killing my toaster.

I just have way more fun on Project reality BF2, even though they are completely different games.
>>
File: ns2 2013-05-16 01-15-32-72.jpg (244 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
ns2 2013-05-16 01-15-32-72.jpg
244 KB, 1920x1080
>>339144481
After the Eclipse map released a Community Development Team was appointed to run the game as Unknown Worlds began work on Subnautica. The CDT is composed of some fairly talented individuals who improved the framerate and load times of the game dramatically while adding some of the features of the popular NS2+ mod which is essentially a crucial UI customization mod. They also added a great tutorial and made rookie servers available. Things were actually going so well the game was actually gaining players according to SteamCharts.

But then Hugh got involved again. Apparently he made a deal with the CDT to continue releasing a constant stream of content on a weekly basis for the next year of the game. The result was changes to everything to increase the competitive focus of the game even moreso. Initially it was just a few pretty reasonable changes like medpack nerfs for very powerful marines who often dominated matches with their accuracy, termed hero medpacking. As a marine commander I knew how terrifyingly broken hero medpacking was.

But then things got worse. The NS2+ modder was pissed off at having to update his mod on a weekly basis so they had to reach a deal with him. Fences were mended and all was going okay again until about a month ago. The first major balance patch came along. They nerfed the exosuits in the game into the fucking ground even though in my opinion they were already weak enough. The other major change was the addition of annoying player health bars which received an overwhelming amount of criticism but the CDT would not remove it. They continued with additions like new traits for aliens, changes to commander abilities, changes to jetpacks and so on to the point where the game was completely different each week and you would have to relearn it.

A lot of people have quit in the past few weeks for Overwatch. The sheer displeasure of the constant changes has pushed them too far and they all blame Hugh Jeremy.
>>
File: biodome[1].jpg (900 KB, 1680x1050) Image search: [Google]
biodome[1].jpg
900 KB, 1680x1050
The maps were beautiful and it's clear the devs really cared about this game. It's a shame it bombed. I don't think trying to be the next big e-sport helped.

Look at RO2. Still has a large player base, RO3 in the works, solid fun non-tryhard shooter.
>>
>>339144953
>Unknown Worlds began work on Subnautica
I didn't know they were making that. That's a great project for the studio. They have plenty of graphical talent.
>>
>>339144481
>>339144953
Jesus christ

Hugh really was a cancer on NS2
>>
>>339145501
He was.

The things the Australian community say about him are incredible (because he is an Australian). It was really upsetting seeing the community split up in the past few weeks.
>>
File: 1422141692361.jpg (101 KB, 800x850) Image search: [Google]
1422141692361.jpg
101 KB, 800x850
> very long loading times on launch
> lack of introduction for new players
> almost zero marketing

reminder that the launch month is the most important factor for most games. NS2 did something an AAA publisher would have never allowed.
>>
>>339138995
Awful optimization and extremely long loading times = small community = dead game
>>
Not sure if they fixed it, but pistol scripts were pretty annoying.
>>
>>339145865

They should have included some AI mode where you get to practice being a commander really
>>
>>339138995
How do I shot web?
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.