[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I've been a pretty big fan of Total War games throughout
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 77
File: maxresdefault[1].jpg (342 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault[1].jpg
342 KB, 1920x1080
I've been a pretty big fan of Total War games throughout the years, but don't really give a shit/know any of the Warhammer lore.

Is this worth 60 bucks for me?

Warhammer fanservice aside, are the mechanics better than Atila? Does it play/look better?
>>
>>339120952
seen a few WEBMs, game looks pretty good and plays like TW.

I dont think you really need to know the lore to get into it, but then again I dont have the game yet either.

Main complaints are that the balance is off right now. Orcs seem weak as fuck and Chaos seems overpowered, this is just what Ive observed from discussion/videos/webms.
>>
>>339121087
Thanks for contributing, but you didn't really answer any of the questions.
>>
>>339120952
the battles are completely different now, you don't have the CK2 lite politics system from attila. On the other hand you have race specific campaign mechanics
>>
>>339121269
only you know what is worth 60 bucks to you and what isn't.

Personally, I wouldn't buy it before at least a couple patches.
>>
>>339121432
why?
the game doesn't have any performance issues and the mods are coming out
>>
Third Age is still the best fantasy TW game 2bh
>>
>>339120952
Watered down TW:Attila. CA's designers need to all be put to death.
>>
It's good.
If you're a fan of Total War you'll like it.
The mechanics are basically the same as Attila with some simplified things but the introduction of magic, monsters, heroes and more interesting faction specific mechanics makes up for most of its flaws.
>>
>>339120952
$48 at Greenman

It's pretty good, honestly. The balance does need work, but the game plays and runs well. Better than any release TWs in years
>>
>>339120952
It's an excellent Total War game, what makes this unique is the power of your generals and special units.

Every faction has a vast number of unique units and specific mechanics regarding their campains.

Do you play the battles yourself OP?
>>
>>339121996
t. ParadoxPlaza member
>>
If you aren't a warhammer fan then maybe. If you don't like unit formations and abilities like forming a spear wall removed then no, just go play shogun 2.
>>
>>339122634
I never realized what the big deal about pressing a button to get your troops into formation was.
>>
File: 1346698550724.jpg (32 KB, 338x322) Image search: [Google]
1346698550724.jpg
32 KB, 338x322
>>339120952
The last TW game I played was modded Medieval 2 and this seems way too fucking fast.
I'm playing on hard and the battles are pretty much done the second we get into melee.
It's like every unit has the health of a tissue paper. They die immediately or break as if they're french.
Even "monstrous" units bite the dust in seconds. Maybe I should've played on harder difficulty.
I get the nagging feeling I've paid money for a worse version of Call of Warhammer mod.
>>
>>339120952
Chaos bad. Elves are dicks. Bretonnia sucks. Dwarves are alright. Hail Sigmar.
>>
Fuck no, it's a very mediocre Total War game and is only good if you like Warhammer. Removed so many features and mechanics it hurts. Very streamlined and basic. Graphics are also noticeably worse the Shogun 2, Rome 2, and Attila. Wait for a sale if you aren't
>>
>>339120952
It's worth it but you can buy it for 40$ anon. It's kind of dumb down from Attila, like the politics and stuff, but the combat is great. Runs amazing too
>>
>>339125030
*Aren't a fan of Warhammer
>>
It's pretty good OP
Decently difficult
>>
>>339120952

It has been worth 60 bucks for me, yes. So on that basis I conclude that it would also be worth 60 bucks for you!
>>
>>339124693
does your game crash?
>>339125030
no it isn't
>>
>>339120952
Warhammer has a nice way of having literally any part of it be a good entry point.

I never played the fantasy warhammer board game only 40k but used to play Shadow of the horned rat on PS1 still up to this day. Just seeing the same world map was enough familiarity for me.
>>
File: 99120208012_KroqGar01.jpg (35 KB, 600x620) Image search: [Google]
99120208012_KroqGar01.jpg
35 KB, 600x620
Do we know how long we'll have to wait until I can play Lizardmen?

>tfw your main race has never been in any WH video games other than bloodbawl

All I want is to drive the unworthy races from the lands and protect the temple cities of Lustria. Marching down those who would dare defile the sacred sites of the Old Ones on the Slanns blessings.
>>
>>339120952
Ive had fun with it. Worth it if you get it cheaper from one of those key sites like green man gaming id say.

Runs decently after they did the hotfix. Still has the same shitty ai wait times between turns like rome 2 did.
Battles are quicker and theres more of them. Sieges have been streamlined and i think its an improvement. less fucking about. Quests are meh, lord customization is big but its mostly random unlocks. Lords are op. dunno if theyll change that
Graphics arent the best. Looks a bit washed out and bland.

The main difference is the play style of each faction and how they interact with others play style. But vanilla campaign locks you to certain areas so you wont face the full variety much. theres already mods for that but i dont like map painting simulation anyways.

Itll be really fun when we have more races but its a bit bare at the moment for my liking.
>>
>>339128480
the AI turn times work perfectly for me
>>
>>339121087
in the span of half an hour now ive read that chaos,dorfs and empire are op
orcs are just hard to play due to fightiness but getting 20 stacks for free is a source for pain
>>
>>339124693
Your unit size is probably set to very small.
>>
>>339122535
He's right though about it being watered down. That's not to say it's easier but it is simpler.
>>
>>339120952
If you're purely a warhammer fantasy fan and played a bit of the total war series then go get it.

If you're purely a totalwar fan and just want to play another expansion then its kinda dissapointing.

I'm both so I found good middleground

Cons
>fewer factions to play as
>no same race coop

Pros
>better diplomacy indicator
>war targets actually work now
>different factions = completely diverse units
>special single unit with light rpg element

(Pros or con for you)
>limited but diverse tech tree
>>
>>339121087
> and Chaos seems overpowered
Sounds about right?
>>
>>339130645
There's been a mod since launch which splits legendary lords between factions, making you able to do same race bro-op.
>>
s'good
>>
>>339126865
Hopefully they're first on the DLC train but in all likelyhood its gonna be High Elves cause seriously a Warhammer with no elves thats ludicrous
>>
>>339130732
Is it in the steamworkshop? If so then I'm gonna look for it later.

Thanks, friend.
>>
>>339122634
They removed fucking spear formations?

Doesn't the Empire use pike and halberd blocks? Bretonnia too, with pikes?
>>
>denuvo
>>
>>339129389
Each turn end im reduced to 1fps and it takes about 10 seconds for all the factions to get their moves done. Gets worse the more factions ive met.

Might just be my shitty pc but its a small thing that annoys me with all 4x like civ,total war and endless legend
>>
Better mechanics unless for some reason you love sieges.

You don't need TW lore to enjoy the game. But it is recommended.
>>
>>339130896
its part of the base unit's stance now
>>
>>339130896

they do it by default

i hated having abilities on units, it makes much more sense for your general to be the one to give buffs to people
>>
>>339131054
Okay, that's way more acceptable.
>>
>>339131104
EB1 did the same thing with it's hoplites and no one complained
>>
>>339130974

you clearly never played attila then because even on turn 1 it takes like 20-25 seconds to finish cycling through the factions
>>
>>339131083
I hated the magical abilities, but formations are a bit different. I'm glad that they exist still, but in the default stance.
>>
>>339130845
Yup.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=689956899&searchtext=
>>
>>339121816
runs like shit for me
>>
>>339131803
Pc specs and settinngs? Runs fine on my i5 4th gen and 970.
>>
>>339132101
running on just one 970 at the moment(has no sli support) and a i5 6600k,16gb of ram, and on a ssd. runs at 35-50 fps on ultra. Strange considering the game looks far worse than previous ones.
>>
soooo, how long for a crack?
>>
>>339120952

Yes, its kind of like Attila except more fun.

Balance is pretty decent despite that the factions are so drastically different; you just have to know a factions strengths and play to them - they're pretty diverse from one another. Some people feel the balance is off, but its there I just think they're doing it wrong. Some factions like Vampire counts have really low morale but make up for it in the Fear they instill to cause routing and the healing/unit spamming abilities they get. They're pretty OP, even, with some of the best units. Orcs are similar in this, since they spawn fullstacks every now and again and also have some great units.

It also looks pretty good, environments look great, castles look amazing, and performance is exceptional.
>>
File: doineedtosayit.jpg (124 KB, 688x800) Image search: [Google]
doineedtosayit.jpg
124 KB, 688x800
>>339132273
>>
>>339130001

The only things missing are diplomacy, family trees, and sewers. I don't know why people would simultaneously complain about these things not being in a warhammer game and then mod out agents.
>>
>>339122138
This. Always check for discounts/coupon codes. Not trying to shill, but Greenman almost always has a store-wide coupon code.

Total Warhammer is amazing, imho, and I've never delved into Warhammer until this game. Been playing Total War since the first game.
>>
>muh coupons

Just get a russian VPN and buy a russian key for 30 bucks
>>
>>339132893
You can just get an offline activation for 2$.
>>
File: 1463979458930.png (40 KB, 208x208) Image search: [Google]
1463979458930.png
40 KB, 208x208
It's a fucking basic TW game. It's made no mechanical improvements on prior entires, in fact it's gone backwards (yet again, thanks CA)
>No unit abilities like fire arrows or formations at all
>Only abilities in the game are on heroes and leaders
>A whopping 2 default formations (archers front or infantry front)
>Can't adjust tax levels besides on/off
>No town battles
I haven't been in water much and haven't had a sea battle yet so I don't know what that's like, but judging by the rest of the game it's probably missing past features too.

The only new mechanic the game has is the different race mechanic for each race, but it doesn't justify scraping the other shit in my opinion.

I felt some regret in the first few hours of play, but I'm a Warhammer fag so I've stuck with it and it's a pretty good Warhammer game, just a step backwards for TW.
>>
File: Unknown2.jpg (10 KB, 256x192) Image search: [Google]
Unknown2.jpg
10 KB, 256x192
>>339120952
>according to the shills on /v/ who don't play it = yes
>according to fansites like totalwarcenter it isn't

So take your pick...
>>
>>339133025
>No town battles
that's a bad thing??? They were always broken.
>>
>>339133025
>haven't had a sea battle yet
I thought there wasn't sea battles at all?
>>
>>339133025

They made improvements everywhere it matters, in AI and campaign dynamic.

Fire arrows aren't necessary
Preset formations aren't needed, you can save your own(and always should)

Town battles would be nice since they are one of the best parts of Attila now that the AI isn't shit. Sieges have always been dog shit however, and still are; so that much hasn't changed aside from that its harder to sit with the game on 4x speed as your archers kill everything.
>>
>>339133025
There are no naval battles, it's just auto-resolve like the old ones. I fully agree with your post though. Cool game for all the Warhammer stuff but a pretty terrible Total War game that is stripped of far too many great features and mechanics. Ugly as shit too.
>>
>>339133118
>totalwarcenter

That place is full of autists. As in actual, literal autists who have a fucking fit when some sandals aren't modelled properly or a roof in a town isn't quite how it should be and declare the entire game shit because of it.

Their opinions about Total War mean as much as the average /v/ shitposter's to me; that is to say nothing at all.
>>
The TW games stopped being good after Medieval 2.
>>
>>339132548
>implying Denuvo won't be cracked
If it's man made it can be cracked
>>
>>339133343
>Less is good

They're logical, if a roughly even force face off, the ones who are hunkered down in a town should be at an advantage.

>>339133442
>you can save your own(and always should)

Do you mean save my formation so that I can bring it up at the start of every battle or just the formation lock? Because having to re-arrange my army in every single deployment is very tedious.
>>
>>339133554
Medieval 2 sucked. Literally every Total War game that came after it are better.
>>
>>339133570
>more is good

They're dull. Plug up the chokepoints and hit fast forward. Making them field battles instead is a much welcomed change.
>>
>>339133570

>Because having to re-arrange my army in every single deployment is very tedious.

Did you ever not do this in the previous ones? I prefer no formations at all and tuning than the retarded shit they put in Shogun 2. Your lines will pretty much be consistent with sword front/bow front and making adjustments to it from there. That's all it really needs since it takes not even 20 seconds to set your line the way that is best for the enemies formation.
>>
>>339133565
Just because it's possible doesn't mean it is feasible.
>>
To remove unit abilities in a game world where that is one of their most distinguishing features is pretty stupid
>>
>>339121087
>Orcs seem weak as fuck
They are weak when you compare unit-by-unit, but they are OP as fuck with the free waaagh stacks.
>>
>>339133720

Town battles are really good in Attila aside from the map where you're on a hill enclosed with bow ledges 360 degrees and 2 entrances.

That map is dumber than any siege.
>>
>>339133720
>being this bad at Total War that you praise dumbed down strategy and a lack of variety caused by CA's laziness
>>
>>339133919

I wouldn't say its dumbed down.

There's no strategy at all in Shogun 2 since the AI is so easily exploited.
>>
>>339133775
In Shogun 2 there was always a formation that was close to what I wanted and then I'd just have to rearrange two or three units. In this I have to rearrange half my army.

I don't know how you can call actual at least somewhat logical formations from Shogun 2 retarded and then say that having the game plop your shit down in the order they appear on the unit bar is "all you need", sounds like bias.
>>
>>339133919
What strategy has been dumbed down? What variety do impossible to maneuver in corridor battles bring to the table?

>>339133897
Town battles are fucking broken in Attila. You can easily route 2 stacks with a garrison force.
>>
>>339133874
WAAAGH stacks are useless. They always get wiped out so damn easily by the Dwarves, who are so outrageously overpowered in every regard that it just makes the Ork units look and feel so much weaker than they really are. I don't know how the devs thought this was an acceptable level of balance.
>>
>>339133025
>No town battles
You only get town battle if said town gets walls at level 3. Otherwise you fight in an open field with town in background.
>>
>>339134159
Orcs are fine.
git gud
>>
>>339134048

>In Shogun 2 there was always a formation that was close to what I wanted and then I'd just have to rearrange two or three units.

I don't feel any different here, the only things I'm moving are pikemen.

And even then in Shogun you're doing the same exact formations, ranged or melee at the front. There's no need to complicate this with retarded monkey fist nonsense martial arts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0gDsL247e8
>>
>>339134169
That's a castle/siege battle.

TW used to have 4 types of battles, now it has 2 for no good reason and people vehemently defend it.
>>
File: hqdefault[4].jpg (12 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault[4].jpg
12 KB, 480x360
>>339134273
It's been optimized.
Pic related, someone who thinks more is better.
>>
>>339134269
So your gripe with them is the name of the formations, they're objectively superior in every way compared to, "Here's your units senpai, straight fresh just like they are in the unit bar" and you're acting like it's an improvement.
>>
>>339134273

Have you ever considered they cut out the trash? Naval battles are terrible in TW too.
>>
>>339134353
Optimization doesn't remove entire functions, it makes them faster. The word you're looking for in this situation is streamlined.
>>
>>339134419
they'll add naval battles with the elves and dark elves 'episode'
>>
>>339134419
git gud
>>
Is there a crash course in Warhammer lore that has been set up to bring people new to the series up to speed? I'm kind of surprised there wasn't something like that in the game guide. If there is, I haven't seen it. Only very shallow explanations.

Really good game though. Shogun 2-tier smooth launch.

Chaos is best faction.
>>
>>339134273
>for no good reason
Because autists like youself kept whining that there are too many sieges.
Naval battles will come in one of the expansions. No point in them now when the map is 95% land.
>>
File: 1-the_battle_of_trafalgar.jpg (113 KB, 960x611) Image search: [Google]
1-the_battle_of_trafalgar.jpg
113 KB, 960x611
>>339134419
Say that to my broadside and not online, faggot.
>>
>>339134383

>they're objectively superior

I don't get it. The only 2 formations of value that I ever used were the same ones I'm using here in Warhammer, then you do a couple of adjustments and set a custom formation.
>>
The game looks pretty bad. Maybe it's nostalgia but it barely looks better, if it does at all, than Shogun 2. The graphics are very washed out and units are difficult to tell apart, not that it matters since the only formation or unit tactic is now blob. When I booted the campaign up I actually thought that it had turned down the graphics and I was shocked to realize that the game was running on Ultra.

For the most part it just feels kinda bland. The voice acting is pretty sub par, although my Warhammer/40k bar was set of DoW which would be pretty fucking hard to beat, and the soundtrack is mostly generic fantasy ambiance that is so forgettable that you forget the game even has music. 90% of it is warhorns. The game feels much more simplified and streamlined and, my biggest issue, is that there is no impact during battles. Charges, monstrous units, hero units, anything. Its the same couple of attack animations played over and over that for the most part the individual enemy unit doesn't even react to it. Even missile units feel like they have zero impact which sucks because watching the results from firing lines or arrow volleys in Shogun 2 and Napoleon was one of my favorite parts of battles. I really don't understand how unit interactions in combat have decreased so much in the span of two games.

Maybe it'll get better with dlc but for now unless you've got a real hard on for Warhammer as a TW fan I'd say it isn't worth the buy in.
>>
>>339134569
Yeah autists like me who are complaining about the removal of battle types complained about a battle type which is still in the game being in prior games.

We've got some flawless logic right here.
>>
>>339134419
They were fun in Empire and Rome 2 system with amphibious assaults was fucking amazing at times. Although ship-to-ship combat was a joke.
>>
the game itself might be shit but Mark of Chaos still has best intro
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_jI8lmQivA
>>
>>339134584
>I don't get it.
It's the autists screaming "muh historical realism".
S2 had all those cool formations with poetic names, too bad almost none of them were ever used.
>>
>>339134419
You do realize naval battles are coming back as DLC or in one of the expansions right? Naval combat is a big part of Warhammer and Total War, and has always been fun and popular. You must just suck at it.
>>
>>339134584
Shogun 2 let me set up a formation with my spear men covering my flanks if the enemy has cavalry and I'd only have to adjust a couple infantry positions. Every deployment would take about 10 seconds. Which is superior to units just being thrown onto the field and having to perform the infantry shuffle to get half of your spearmen from their orgy on one side to both sides. The prior is superior to the latter in an objective way, there's no room for argument, the only excuse the latter has for existing is if it was before the prior system was made, but it's the exact opposite, that's why it's an issue, an objective step backwards.
>>
>>339134612
This.
>>
>>339132101
I've got an i5 processor and a 750 xti with 8 gigs ram.

The only issue I had was when I alt tabbed during the loading screen and it crashed. Other than that, I've had no problems at all.
>>
>>339134569
>Because autists like youself kept whining that there are too many sieges.
>Our small farm village has a 8 years worth of grain stored in the event of a siege and an endless supply of clean water

They were not wrong. Total war bills its self as a historically accurate game, yet most campaigns you find yourself fighting assloads of siege battles, and maybe 1-2 pitched battles.
Historically, that shit never happened. But in a fantasy setting its fine to have most battles be an epic siege like in the movies.

They needed to fix this by drastically lowering the surrender time, and the impact of losing towns. Not removing besieging towns entirely.
>>
>>339134808
>Naval combat is a big part of Warhammer
Lol, no it isnt.
>>
I wish I had the money to buy this. ;_;
>>
File: df-in-play-2[1].jpg (45 KB, 370x266) Image search: [Google]
df-in-play-2[1].jpg
45 KB, 370x266
>>339134935
>Lol, no it isnt.
>t. someone talking out of his ass
>>
>>339134935
Sure thing bud :^)
>>
File: Quarrelers.png (3 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Quarrelers.png
3 MB, 1920x1080
>>339134612
>missile units feel like they have zero impact
Solid meme.
>>
>>339134808
I doubt naval battles are coming back. They sucked, nobody played them, and they are a tremendous undertaking. Adding them to Warhammer with all 16+ factions is like making Battlefleet Gothic with 4 times the content ON TOP of your standard Total War.
>>
>>339120952
It's kind of total war for beginners. It's fun if you're a fan of warhammer and new to the series or have always been bad at the series. I'm enjoying it for what it is but I do hope patches at least make the battles more reliant on tactics rather than unit size
>>
>>339135026
Great, now try again as the other race and see what happens.
>>
>>339135071
>TW
>tactics
>hammer and anvil till you win
>>
>>339133025
>No unit abilities like fire arrows or formations at all
Is it real? Like no abilities at all?
>>
>>339135026
Yeah, I don't know what that guy is talking about. Any missile unit with AP attack slays everything. Those axe-throwing marauder horsemen are fucking beasts.
>>
>>339130812
>>339126865

Hopefully we will need to wait 2 or 4 years to play as Lizardmen since I dont want them to be dlc and have aztec dinosaur themed collectors edition with the 2nd or 3rd game.They can even put a dinosaur dildo and ill buy it.
>>
>>339134935
elves live on an island
>>
>>339135156
orcs aren't about arrow fire you idiot
>>
>>339135210
Yup. No wedge for cavalry. No pike or shield walls. The only units that have abilities are generals, and that's just magic shit.
>>
>>339135210
>Is it real?
yes
>>
>>339134935
>>339134998
>>339135019

http://store.steampowered.com/app/344240/
>>
This was my first TW game. I quite enjoy it even tho gong totally blind. Ive learn a lot from mistakes and had to restart twice, my own fault.

Only tried empire.
My major complaint are the fucking annoying heroes walking around freely 1shotting any lords. Theres a mpd to disable it but i rather play it out.

Quite happy to have goten it
>>
>>339135156
>try other races
Other races have less emphasis on ranged, dumbass. Naturally their ranged units make less of an impact.
>>
It's the best TW since Medieval 2, even better than Shogun 2 or Attila, so yes I would heartily recommend it, even in its vanilla state (though there are some neat mods out there already).
>>
>>339135254
>This race built to be good at thing, is good at thing.
>That means thing works for all races and everyone should use it.
Solid logic friendo.
>>
>>339134898

>the impact of losing towns. Not removing besieging towns entirely.

The impact of losing towns is higher since there's no walls and you cant just make the enemy moshpit down one alleyway.

>>339134998

Nobody did this, there's no significance of naval battles to Warhammer.
>>
>>339135358
Uh whoops, wrong picture I guess.
>>
Aren't Dorfs weak as fuck to cavalry?
>>
File: 58329643[1].jpg (139 KB, 498x568) Image search: [Google]
58329643[1].jpg
139 KB, 498x568
>>339135343
>>339135343
>Other races have less emphasis on ranged, dumbass. Naturally their ranged units make less of an impact.
Well dumbass, maybe that's why people are saying there ranged units are useless.
>>
>really want to buy this
>worried that I'll be bored within a few hours because I played other total wars so much
>>
File: 1461957335296.jpg (703 KB, 1680x1050) Image search: [Google]
1461957335296.jpg
703 KB, 1680x1050
>>339122634
Yeah what the fuck is up with that? Where are all the formations? Wasn't that an essential part of both TOTAL WAR and Warhammer?
>>
>>339135475
Wait til it goes on sale in a few months.
I got all the total wars for $15 thanks to humble bundle.
>>
>>339135456

>Well dumbass, maybe that's why people are saying there ranged units are useless.

They really aren't though. Are you saying that every faction should have copy paste units like Shogun 2 or something?
>>
>>339135456
>makes a broad claim all ranged are uselss
>gets proven wrong
>proceeds to move goalposts "BUT I MEANT OTHER RACES"
Maybe you should really go back to plebbit with your arguing skills.
>>
>>339135452
ranged cavalry is annoying without a good amount of ranged units
>>
>>339135452
They're supposed to be, but despite having none of their own or any spears, they hold out against it just like everything else you throw at them. I sent multiple cavalry units against a single Thunderer unit once and it broke all of them. Broken as fuck faction, anyone who says different are using them and don't want a much needed balance patch to fix it.
>>
>>339135592
No I'm saying ranged units are useless for some races. That's it. Your reading all this other stuff that's not there.
>>
>>339135452
Early on - yes.
Late game - the get Charge Defence from everything plus a shitton of arties and shooties.
>>
>>339135625
>makes a broad claim all ranged are useful
>gets proven wrong
>proceeds to move goalposts "BUT I MEANT OTHER RACES"

Oh look, heres the original post to prove it.
>>339135026
>>
>>339120952
>$200 USD collector's edition

I get them every once in a while if there's a soundtrack or something I'd use more than one, but holy fuck that is too much
>>
>>339135679

Dwarves have some pretty OP units but so does everybody else.

Vampires get a dragon and Empire gets a tank. Dwarves aren't special in any sense of strength but they are special in that they don't have to deal with ANYTHING and have the easiest campaign to win.

I bet people could beat Dorf campaign in around 60 turns if I did it first time in 100.
>>
File: moving-the-goalposts.jpg (28 KB, 300x240) Image search: [Google]
moving-the-goalposts.jpg
28 KB, 300x240
>>339135702
>for some races
And here's the original post with broad claims >>339134612
>>
>>339135397
>Nobody did this

Except it was such a massive hit they made a 1:1 40k re-skin of the game called Battlefleet Gothic.

Seriously, faggot, High Elves alone are all about navy.
>>
>>339121902
Call of Warhammer was good but scripted as fuck.
>>
>>339132648
>The only things missing are diplomacy
So is it order vs disorder or just a FFA?
How does co-op multiplayer work (or doesn't it exist)
>>
>>339135931
>High Elves alone
And that's why naval warfare will come when 2nd expansion introduces high/dark elves lizards and the vast seas.
>>
>>339135839
Name one dwarf unit that isn't in armor, and the only time a unit doesn't have a shield is when they're wielding a great weapon, compare this to the races which are around them, vampires and orcs, and they're blatantly OP easy mode.
>>
>>339134539
For the current races in the game or as a whole?
>>
>>339136098
Diplomacy is in the game. I dont know what the fuck that guy is talking about.
>>
>>339135931

Here's the 5th Ed rulebook.

https://www.scribd.com/doc/217214077/Warhammer-5th-Edition-Rulebook

They don't even have naval ships in there.
Nice try though. Nobody likes naval battles in TW and nobody cares about naval battles in Warhammer.
>>
>>339136098
Same format as any other Total War, free for all but you can make alliances with other factions. Co-op campaign does exist.
>>
File: 1424212847716.jpg (47 KB, 599x383) Image search: [Google]
1424212847716.jpg
47 KB, 599x383
>>339135913
I just wanted to start an argument.
I don't even own the game.
Thanks for arguing with me.
>>
>>
>>339135370
Archer skellies and crossbow skellies when?
>>
What makes up strength rating? It seems completely arbitrary to me, I conquer three provinces, have three armies and push another faction into their last one little town after slaughtering their last army and their strength rating is still 25 while mine is fucking 6.
>>
>>339136193

There are less diplomatic options like trading regions, royal marriages, shit that doesn't matter for Warhammer
>>
>>339132273

nobody is cracking it so never ever.

pirate groups already stop trying quite a while back
>>
>>339136571
>doesn't want Karl to have qt 10ft ork gf.
>>
>>339136417
>I'm a rocket maaaaaann
>>
>>339120952
Dont buy it, pirate it better. I tell you why:

I have played TW games since the first Medieval. This game looks really watered down. Sometimes i feel like I need to do something more, a little more of micromanagement and such, but there isnt any of these options which feels weird tbqh.
New race mechanics are nice, is like every race plays different and this is new in the series. I like it. The addition of magic is also nice, but at some point I always forgets about it, I think it isnt important at all. The rest of the game seems incomplete, it is going to be a DLC fest, and you are going to throw much money on it to get the completed game and this is unacceptable.

My recommendation is, if you want a good TW game try Medieval 2+Kingdoms, only with this you have fuckton of hours of gameplay. You also has really nice mods, the best for fantasy is The Third Age, is balanced, stable... Also there is Rome TW which is still awesome, but with outdated graphics.

If you are a TW fan and wants to try this new game, pirate it, wait for the dlcs, patches and such, and buy all in some cheap compilation. Unless you are going to play online ofc.
>>
>>339136651
>pirate it
>>
>>339136183

Vampires can spawn guys out of their ass and get varghulfs and dragons dude. The main thing easy about Dwarves is geography, they aren't really OP they just get the best real estate.
>>
>>339136651
>pirate it

What rock have you been living under? Can't be pirated, it has Denuvo.
>>
>>339136651

>I have played TW games since the first Medieval

Stopped reading here. Medieval fanboys are insufferable autistic cunts with retarded opinions every time.

You can't even pirate it btw
>>
>>339136183
>what is armor piercing
>>
Does CA have a good track record of balancing factions in post launch patches?
>>
>>339136183
Their units also cost a lot more than Vampires and Orcs. They are balanced because their power is offset by their high cost.
>>
>>339136651
>try Medieval 2
Nice bait, here's your (you)
>>
>>339136571
>trading regions
Not an option for how many TW titles already? Why even mention it at this point?
>>
>>339136708
Yeah they can spawn units out their ass, to the same cap of 20 like every one else, and units which are weak as piss.

they have slayers to directly counter monster enemies like Varghulfs and their crossbowmen with armor piercing and huge range deal with dragons pretty well.

And that's all just ignoring the fact that their entire list of units is covered in armor and shields while still doing equivalent damage, completely unlike their neighbors.
>>
>>339136498
Are you retarded?
If you're 6 - there are 5 factions stronger than you.
>>
>>339136917
And their high cost is offset by their naturally high resources and all the technology buffs to their income.

I've never had a higher income than I've had with dwarfs and while still maintaining the same army strength. The only way to get money faster than dwarfs is to play Chaos well.
>>
>>339136796
>medieval fans
I played ALL TW, and my favorite is Rome, but the best for now is Medieval 2.
>>339136704
>>339136708
I didnt knew it... Too bad. Anyways wasn't DA: Inquisition cracked or someshit like that?
>>
>>339136651

>Medieval 2: so good nobody talks or gives a fuck about it until autistic nerds see people enjoying a new total war

I started with Shogun 1 and I want M2 fags to die off already. Don't even come into TW threads, you don't like TW, you just like shit with middle ages themes.
>>
>>339136923
newfag
>>
>>339136934
Slayers are expensive as fuck and get shredded in seconds by anything that isn't a monster. They aren't even a reliable flanking unit. Quarrelers don't deal armor piercing missile damage, Thunderers do, but Thunderers have less range and can't arc their shots over allies in front of them.
>>
>>339136926

I wonder why you can't demand territory in order to agree to peace in any TW games...
>>
>>339134159
I've just completely wiped out the dwarves in one go after spawning two waaaghs at once.
They're unstoppable if you play them right, just never stop steamrolling.
>>
>>339136926

It's in Attila
>>
>>339136980
I might be.
>>
>>339137013

pretty much this
>>
>>
>>339137109
I wish. Then I could have had nice borders with my brother Roman faction that got its shit pushed in and never recolonized. Too bad it isn't and hasn't been for several games now.
>>
>>339137102

You can but it's not that good, you have to be allied and have them sitting next to it and obv. they will never give you things.
>>
>>339137107
To wipe them out, do you just need to take out their capital or every single place they control? I've just about had it with their shit and I want them gone fast. Taking out all their stuff will spread me too thin and bog me down.
>>
>>339137082
>Slayers are expensive as fuck

Varghulfs are expensive as fuck, and I've already covered how dwarves don't need to give a single fuck about income.
>>
How do I abandon a settlement?
>>
>>339137204

See, >>339137217

Works alright for Co Op games otherwise you'll never use it.
>>
Already completed the campaign, have no intention of replaying. The way the AI constantly pulled stacks of chaos vikings out its ass without any economy was really grating.
>>
Does anyone else feel that the attrition from vampire corruption is insane?
>>
>>339120952
>60 bucks

are americans still stupid enough to buy from steam?
>>
>orc campaign on very hard
Fuck everything, fuck everything right in the ass
>>
>>339137228
You need to take out all their shit, even their wandering lords.
But once you've taken out most of their holds and divided their provinces it's pretty much over, everyone will start harassing the fuck out of them.
>>
>>339137314
Its not done well thats for sure.

Having a Priest of Sigma (or the equivalent of any other army) should negate the negative damage to your army.
>>
>>339137351
I know this frustration anon. It's exhausting.
>>
I don't regret getting it and I'll get 60 bucks back out of it so it's technically worth.

It depends on how much 60 bucks it worth to you I guess, anon.

Also all the people I see crying about this game I rarely see an actual critique, it's usually people crying because they're bad or don't understand something.

One legit complaint I've seen is the Agents. But it doesn't bother me.
>>
>play as dorfs
>fuck up vamp shits
>everyone else now my military ally
>chaos never stood a chance.
>>
>>339137013
Medieval 2 is the best in the series even if you are too faggot to not accept it.

Medieval 2, Rome and Shogun 2 are the best games, the rest is mediocre (Atila) to shit (Rome 2).
>>
>>339137312
Honestly, every recent Total War game does that.
>>
>AI chaos traveling across half the world, ignoring every other faction they're at war with to sack the one town you have that doesn't have walls
>Chaos stacks constantly placing themselves just out of reach of your nearest army
>Meanwhile vampires repeatedly give me 5000 per turn to break a trade agreement with a human settlement which I can just re enable next turn

Unsurprisingly the AI in this game is stupid. It's either inhumanly calculating or just plain retarded.
>>
>>339137438
Orcs are really the most underpowered faction from a campaign perspective

You are not an economic powerhouse like Empire/Dwarfs, and you are not a good raiding faction like Chaos. You only get 1 good thing which is your ability to summon a Waaagh! but the fucker will die eventually anyway, and then you have to wait multiple turns for the cooldown to fuck off before you can even get another. Add in the fact you get absolutely fuck all for income you are stuck on a single force for ages.

My orc campaign has been nothing but
>Make 20 stack
>go fighting
>get a Waaagh!
>take a lot of land
>lose Waaagh!
>lose all the land
>rinse and repeat
>>
>>339137456

So go make an M2 thread, nobody cares or wants to tolerate that AI anymore
>>
File: 1435821573570.jpg (6 KB, 329x328) Image search: [Google]
1435821573570.jpg
6 KB, 329x328
>mfw it's 26$ in SEA
>>
File: 1462261775217.jpg (81 KB, 960x725) Image search: [Google]
1462261775217.jpg
81 KB, 960x725
I play as Vamps (Heinrich Kemmler) and I always got fucked by Templehof straight into rectum.

What I do wrong?
>>
Am I the only one bothered by the sieges in the game?
To they have been dumbed down is an understatement. By citing down sieges to one, sometimes two, walls you're left with not even half as many tactical options.

Aside from my gripe about there only really being one front to a siege, I don't really like how units just spawn on the walls when moved from the ground and vise versa, and I don't like how units pull ladders out of their asses in order to climb the wall.

All and all I think this was either of case of CA being lazy as fuck and not fixing existing issue with sieges in TW games in general, or it was the result of being pushed to release by publishers. The former is more likely, not that the latter didn't play it's part.
>>
>>339137456
Medieval 2 is garbage. Its setting is its only redeeming quality.
>>
To anyone who wants to play TW games for the first time, come to /twg/ in /vg/. Ignore these casual faggots saying Medieval 2 is bad.
>>
>>339137660
I think they are the best sieges TW has ever had outside of Shogun, and I hope they stay the same for all future TW games.
>>
>>339137636
>SEA

I've always been buying from russia so far, is there somewhere I can get it cheaper?
>>
>>339137717
And I hope you die of butthole cancer you cunt.
>>
>>339137456
Literally every game that came after Medieval 2 is significantly better, not even taking my bias toward Empire and Napoleon as the best games into account, they all dramatically improved on that game in every way. It's dated and archaic as fuck. It isn't even close.
>>
>>339137660
They simplified them to make the AI handle them better, because sieges have always been complete shit in TW.

I see what they were going for, but now they're just a different kind of shit.
>>
>>339137692
What bizarro /twg/ do you go to? They shit all over Medieval 2 regularly as well as the totalwarcenter autists who worship it.
>>
>>339137781
Im sorry you have bad taste in sieges
>>
>>339137597

Git gud then, honestly. I have about 5 full stacks and even had the Chaos incursion thing happen early because I took so much land. Currently in the process of recruiting black orcs for my generals and getting some doom divers
>>
File: 1410804607025.jpg (19 KB, 201x272) Image search: [Google]
1410804607025.jpg
19 KB, 201x272
>>339137456
>Rome2 is shit
One of the dankest twg memes.
>>
>>339137842
>he says, playing on easy difficulty
No scrub, you git gud.
>>
>>339137456
Btw I forget the Empire game, which is also very good.
>>
>>339137803
We all love M2, we just shit on it because there's a handful of turboautist incapable of having a conversation about anything but M2, and chimp the fuck out when you try to discuss any other game in the series.

Now they took refuge in /v/ and shitpost Warhammer threads for simplifying campaign map mechanics nobody liked.
>>
>>339120952

Campaign map is a bit simplified compared to Attila, but the battles are much more in depth. Probably just as hard if not harder than Attila overall.
>>
>>339137864
That meme has almost died out in /twg/ desu.
>>
>>339137717
As much as I'm tempted to just shit post and call you a retard, I'm actually curious as to why you think this.
Is it because there is less options and less to manage or consider?
Is it because of the more focused nature of having a single wall to attack?
>>
>>339136651
The Third Age- does this mod suffer from the same fucktarded diplo as Med II?
>>
>>339137878

No i'm not. Just because you suck doesn't mean that people that do well have to be playing on easy, perhaps you really are just playing badly.

What are you even doing with your towns? do you even protect them properly, do you even have multiple armies? Do you dedicate one/two provinces to your military needs or do you just spam whatever
>>
>>339137917
This.
>>
>>339137660
The severe casualization of the sieges is a disgusting shame. Aside from the shit graphics, removal of town battles and naval/beach landing battles, and general lack of content, that's by far the biggest and worst disappointment in this game. The AI works better on them, but they're so small and simplistic that it would be a wonder if they didn't. Very unfortunate change.
>>
Really liking the game, first TW game I've played and didn't realise there was a strategic aspect to it in single player. I know it's relatively simple in this game, but is there a game that is totally focused on the empire building, more in depth, without the tactical real time battles?
>>
>>339137802
So basically what you're saying is that it's CA being lazy? Instead of fixing the problem they try and get rid of it all together and just create another problem.
>>
File: FB_IMG_1464322883428.jpg (102 KB, 1152x720) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1464322883428.jpg
102 KB, 1152x720
>MEET YOUR DOOM

Started the Empire campaign, jesus its a pain in the ass. Never had a faction have a technology lock based on fucking buildings. Also Gelt found that wand that recharges the magic pool so its UBERLOAT as much as possible
>>
>>339133549

This.

Also, they probably hate the game solely because its fantasy.
>>
>>339138058
Grand Strategy Games
>>
>>339137782
>not even taking my bias toward Empire and Napoleon as the best games into account,

I also think medieval 2 is way overrated, but how is Empire in any way good?

It got the same problems as Medieval 2 and Rome 2 release. That game disappointed me more than fucking Spore.
>>
>>339138129

Historyfag salt is real. I like it just the same but I love this game as well, it's a good and fun setting
>>
>>339137939
Not him, but I like that walls actually have a purpose now and forgoing them to hide your units in the narrow chokepoints of the streets is no longer the most viable strategy.

I like that the bombardment phase has been negated by towers and that offensive sieges are now a daunting challenge instead of a boring battle that is easily cheesed with ranged superiority.
>>
>>339138058
Crusader Kings 2
Civ V
Endless Legend
Endless Space
Stellaris
Europa Universalis 4
>>
>>339138214
This. It's also generally harder to cheese large AI stacks with a smaller garrison.
>>
>>339137997
>Aside from the shit graphics
objectively the best looking TW to date

>naval/beach landing battles
they were utter shit in R2/Attila, but i'd rather them improve them than remove them.

>and general lack of content
nigga what. TW has never had this much diversity and thought put into each faction.

>The AI works better on them, but they're so small and simplistic that it would be a wonder if they didn't. Very unfortunate change.
100% agree. I'd rather have shit AI in a real city battle than passable AI on a single wall.
>>
Are you guys implying that it wasn't Rome 1 that was the only good game CA ever made?
>>
>>339137939
>Is it because there is less options and less to manage or consider?
>Is it because of the more focused nature of having a single wall to attack?
I dont agree with either of these. You never attacked from all angles in any other TW game, you would just focus on two points at most, which is what makes sense and works best, you really didnt need a full city because there was always one or two bits of walls that were better than the rest that everyone would attack from.

The unit diversity completely changes how sieges work, so there is a lot more to do on that front. It isnt just pike wall + archers on chokepoints.

Sieges are an all or nothing affair. The moment you attack you have to go balls deep with your ram/towers, artillery and units (which also makes the fights feel more chaotic and fun). You cant sit back and just whittle the whole thing down. If you do want that feeling of siege a town and damaging it before fighting, you have agents to do that.

There is more but thats all I can be bothered to say right now
>>
>>339138162

Any recommendations? EU4 looks interesting but stupidly expensive for everything, and still expensive for a three year old game.
>>
Should I play on easy if I suck or will normal not kick my ass to oblivion mercilessly? Also what should I do as the Vampire Counts?
>>
>>339137969
>WAH DONT CALL ME OUT ON BEING A SRUB, U A SCRUB
Okay baby
>>
>>339138259

Awesome, thanks.
>>
>>339137939

Probably because the game doesn't let you complete them with 0 casualties which was the norm for every TW game ~Rome2.

I still don't really like sieges though and I'm not him.

>>339137917

Well said.
>>
>>339138076
>So basically what you're saying is that it's CA being lazy?
I'm sure that plays some part, but there's really no way anyone could make a good AI in siege battles. They went for simpler sieges so they AI can handle them, but it's just a different kind of bad now.
>>
>>339137656
Git fucking gud.
You picked the wrong starting leader
>>
>>339138354
Vampires are the easiest faction by far, go hard or very hard.
>>
>>339138183
Empire and Rome 2 both got completely fixed after a couple of months, you know that right? Stop living under a rock, both are great. Empire is my favorite because of the setting. Best battles and strategy, best period, best uniforms, best ships, best campaign map.
>>
>>339138356

>Call me out on being a scrub

Right, because "you called me out and say you're doing well so you must play on easy, SCRUB" totally makes it true.

Jesus christ kid. Enjoy your shitposting career on /v/ I suppose
>>
File: gsg.jpg (3 MB, 2000x2880) Image search: [Google]
gsg.jpg
3 MB, 2000x2880
>>339138312
EU4 is the call of duty of grand strategy games. It's the point at which Paradox went to shit to "appeal to a wider audience"

Crusader Kings 2 has a unique spin on GS. Instead of directly controlling an empire, you are a king who controls vassals. It's about managing relationships between characters. Piss of your vassals and they might rebel against you

Pro tip: Buy the base game, pirate the DLC, check out /gsg/ on /vg/
>>
>>339138462
>getting this upset someone called you out on your bullshit
You enjoy that easy modo kiddo
>>
File: 1418573465102.jpg (174 KB, 510x546) Image search: [Google]
1418573465102.jpg
174 KB, 510x546
>>339138058
>without the tactical real time battles?
>Crusader Kings 2
Everything you said, but also Game of Thrones level diplomacy.

>Civ V
A classic turn based empire building game.

>Endless Legend
Civ 5 but with better gameplay and in a SciFi-Fantasy setting. (For a lot of people, that last part is a turn off)

>Europa Universalis 4
I want Crusader Kings 2 with game of thrones and more nation building stuff.
>>
>>339138354
If this is your first TW I probably wouldn't play VC first. Their playstyle is very aggressive and depends completely on throwing away expendable units to tie up the enemy and take map control.

Try out Dwarves, they have a balanced army, are basically the wall of china when they line, and have really fun late game units to play around with.
>>
>>339138492
>want Crusader Kings 2 with game of thrones
*without
>>
>>339138354
Varghulf only army.
>>
>>339138312

EU4 is entry

Ck2 was good but only playable with the first 4 big DLC's everything after Sons of Abraham is pure shit ( not even kidding )

Heart of Iron 2 lis very confusing at the first time and 6 hours later but many people get enlightment and want to play as Hitler everytime after

Victoria 2 is the main game discussed in the Grand Strategy game on /vg/ and like every otzher gsg game a shitton of mods
>>
>>339138417
>Empire got completly fixed

Most of the fixes was aimed at crashes and bluescreen shit. The shitty unit responsiveness, bad diplo ai, and the especially bad battle ai(AI units almost just all did they own seperate things in battle) never got fixed.

>Empire is my favorite because of the setting

So nothing to do with the technical stuff then, well that makes sense. People love Medieval 2 for the same reason.
>>
File: 1441850427017.png (1 MB, 921x608) Image search: [Google]
1441850427017.png
1 MB, 921x608
I really want to play this game but after 50 turns this just evolves into "chase this chaos faggot" and if you start to chase him another chaos army just razes every single thing he can get his hands on
This and formations are my only complaints
Also give us a bigger map for gods sake
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 77

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.