[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I have questions about Civ 4
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 4
File: 256px-CivIVboxshot.jpg (33 KB, 256x364) Image search: [Google]
256px-CivIVboxshot.jpg
33 KB, 256x364
Okay so I know that Civ 4 is the approved Civ game in /v/. I'm tired of playing Civ 5 due it it's 1upt, small maps, dumbed down gameplay for casuals, and a bunch of other stuff and I don't want to play Civ 3 since I feel the game is broken just about. So before I buy this game with all the expansions in the Steam Summer Sale, I have questions:

-Does governments work like the previous civs before it in which you can use them when you have researched them or is it similar to the policy tree bullshit that Civ 5 does?

-How many cites do you usually settle in a typical game? I don't mind not being able to settle as many cities as you do in Civ 3 but I don't want to have less than 10 cities in a regular game without having to conquer other civs like in Civ 5.

- I've heard units use a different statistics in Civ 4 that is different from previous games but the real question is, can I build stacks of doom?

These are the three things I must know before I buy, the rest of the changes in the game I can deal with probably. So how is it?
>>
File: 300px-Da_hood.png (20 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
300px-Da_hood.png
20 KB, 300x300
>>339117359
>Okay so I know that Civ 4 is the approved Civ game in /v/.
>/v/ is one person.
>>
>>339117359
>can I build stacks of doom?
Thats literally the only thing you will end up doing
>>
>>339117550
nice, I like this
>>
>>339117359
you're right in that 3 was crappy
2 was better

>So before I buy this game with all the expansions in the Steam Summer Sale
fucking pirate it and test mate
>>
>>339117359
Civ 4 is shit, kill yourself, faggit.
>>
4 is unplayable if you like fun.
>>
File: 1464329271157[1].webm (2 MB, 942x528) Image search: [Google]
1464329271157[1].webm
2 MB, 942x528
>>339117532
>>339117784
>>339117854
Newfags sighted
>>
>>339117359
>-Does governments work like the previous civs before it in which you can use them when you have researched them or is it similar to the policy tree bullshit that Civ 5 does?
Civ 4 uses the civics system. You unlock them with specific techs
>-How many cites do you usually settle in a typical game? I don't mind not being able to settle as many cities as you do in Civ 3 but I don't want to have less than 10 cities in a regular game without having to conquer other civs like in Civ 5.
Depends on the map size and type. You certainly play more expansionist than you do in 5
>- I've heard units use a different statistics in Civ 4 that is different from previous games but the real question is, can I build stacks of doom?
Yes

Ignore the naysayers
>>
>>339117359
Civ 5 with all the expansions (G&K, BNW, etc.) is superior to Civ 4 imo.

There's too many flaws to Civ 4, and I admit, Civ 5 vanilla was fucking garbage but now, it's actually very fun to play with the addition of the expansions and added religion, diplomacy, increased city-state significance, etc.
>>
>>339117359
>Civ 4 is the approved Civ game in /v/
Yeah no need to form your own opinions or anything.
>>
>>339117602
Stacks of doom was really dumb
>>
>>339117931
Bitch Alpha Centauri is the official civ game of /v/. 4 is just the better alternative to 5.
>>
>>339118015
this, senpai
>>
>>339118015
Different anon here.
I couldn't believe how fucking bare vanilla Civ 5 was, so I avoided picking it up.

It's worth it now if I pick it up and all the expansions?
Also god damn, how much is that gonna run me?
>>
I felt Civ 5 was just too casual, even with the expansions. My biggest complaint was the policy tree.

It is pretty good with mods though
>>
>>339118372
>My biggest complaint was the policy tree.
Anything specifically?
>>
>>339118372
>It is pretty good with mods though
Really? I find that, if anything, most everyone agrees that the modding scene for Civ 4 is much better than that of 5
>>
>>339118472
I missed how like in Civ 3 and previous games, you resarched specific governments like monarchy, communism, democracy, etc. and each government had its won strengths and weaknesses. The policy tree however just shits on that and I can't get the feeling like my civ had a certain government, except the brave new world dlc with the freedom, order, and autocracy thing in the late game but even then it didn't feel the same
>>
>>339118245
$50 without a sale, but the summer sale is coming next month and you can probably pick it up for less than $20
>>
>>339118245
I dunno, I picked up civ V in 2012 and enjoyed the fuck out of it for a solid year without any of the expansions. Of course the expansions made it 100X better in the end.

It's worth it now if I pick it up and all the expansions?

Yes.

Also god damn, how much is that gonna run me?

$30 on G2a for the complete edition.
>>
>>339118726
Yeah I feel you. They're going for the whole evolution thing, clearly, but it does lack a "feel" like you say. It's my favorite of the series overall but I get it.
>>
>>339118746
>>339118749
Alright, I'll keep an eye out, thanks.
>>
>>339118245
Torrents are free, dude
>>
Civ 5 with expansions is more complex than Civ 4 with expansions and mods could ever hope to be.

Don't fall for the contrarian meme.
>>
>>339119591
That statement is baldly false

Call me a contrarian if you will
>>
>>339117931
what did he say?
>>
>>339119591
I bet you think Beyond Earth wasn't that bad as well
>>
File: 368461582.png (6 KB, 390x470) Image search: [Google]
368461582.png
6 KB, 390x470
>complains how V is casual
>demands to have noobstacks because planning how to rally, organize and strategically position your forces is too hard
No need to act tough, just play the console spin-off, this is an anonymous image board after all.
>>
>>339119895
Beyond Earth was garbage. Who in the hell prefers that trash to the more superior Alpha Centari?
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.