[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
PS1=The Ghost of Nintendo's Anti RPG Policy Getting Its Revenge?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 4
File: ps1 ff7.jpg (207 KB, 1280x997) Image search: [Google]
ps1 ff7.jpg
207 KB, 1280x997
Considering how much the JRPG genre contributed to SONY's success, and how little Nintendo did to cultivate the genre during the NES and SNES era (and especially Nintendo's own CEO having negative opinions on RPGs at the time), was the N64's lack of JRPGs truly to blame on cartridges?

Let's remove the cartridge from the equation, because the SNES proved you can make great JRPGs with cartridges. Is it more likely that companies just didn't want to put up with Nintendo's bullshit because they knew what the company was like when it came to RPGs?

Imagine creating a JRPG for the N64 and getting absolutely NO coverage from Nintendo. That would be absolutely dire.
>>
>nintendo didn't cultivate RPGs during the SNES era

this is easily the weakest bait/biggest bullshit meme ever perpetrated on this site
>>
>>339115574
he mentions the snes having a good library it but hes talking about the n64
>>
>>339115329
>Considering how much the JRPG genre contributed to SONY's success

Please. It wasn't because of the JRPGs specifically, it was the massive library that happened to include JRPGs.
>>
>>339115329
>Considering how much the JRPG genre contributed to SONY's success

There were only three hugely successful JRPGs on PS1.

Final Fantasy VII
Final Fantasy VIII
Final Fantasy IX

So if you replaced "the JRPG genre" in your post with "Final Fantasy" it might make sense.
>>
Haven't seen this pasta in a while.
>>
>>339115329
>because the SNES proved you can make great JRPGs with cartridges.

In 2D without FMVs, maybe, but not like FFVII.
>>
>>339116076
Vagrant Story was one of the best selling games on the console
>>
>>339116225
>Vagrant Story was one of the best selling games on the console

lmao

it didn't even make the list and there are like over 50 games here

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_PlayStation_video_games
>>
According to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_PlayStation_video_games

These RPGs sold the most on the PSX:

FF7
FF8
FF9
DQ7 (all sales in Japan)

One has to remember rentals were still big back then, though. I rented a lot of great RPGs I never personally owned and I know a lot of people did the same at the time.
>>
File: 985.jpg (54 KB, 680x583) Image search: [Google]
985.jpg
54 KB, 680x583
>>339116225
>In May 2000, Vagrant Story was the fifth best-selling PlayStation title of the month

>one of the best-selling games on the console
>>
>>339115329
Final Fantasy literally started on the NES and had one if it's most popular entries on the SNES. Zelda 2 had an RPG style leveling system. Super Mario RPG was on the SNES, as well as Chrono Trigger, aka the best JRPG ever made.
>>
>>339116743
>Final Fantasy literally started on the NES and had one if it's most popular entries on the SNES.
Final Fantasy literally had it's most popular and best selling game on the PS1.
>>
>>339116743
jesus are you fucking retarded, squaresoft did all those games (except zelda 2) nintendo didn't have shit to do with it other than allowing square to make those fucking games
>>
>>339115329
they went party games route to push 4 controllers.
>>
I don't know if you can separate the cartridge issue. It was a huge part of the reason why so many third parties jumped ship. Sony offering lower platform royalty fees was a big enough hurdle, add $10+ cartridges that third parties had to buy and it's not a hard decision.

Didn't Square directly ask Nintendo to use CDs?
>>
What anti-RPG policy? Square wanted FF on the PS1 because it allowed them to have cinematics with CDs, while cartridges were way more limited in storage space (on top of being more expensive than discs).

Once they hit it big without Nintendo, they stopped caring about Nintendo consoles.
>>
>>339117289
But nobody else tried to put JRPGs on the N64

There were a lot more companies than Square you know
>>
>>339117202
Square expected the 64DD to be a thing. Since it never did they went with PS1.
>>
>>339115329
Snes cartridges allowed for expansion chips while n64 didnt. Also it's called a psx fag. They tried ff on n64 and it couldn't handle it hence why all the characters are blocky outside of battle in ff7
>>
>>339117364
How many JRPG studios/publishers were well-heeled enough to commit to the extra cost involved on making games for a system with such a low install base [especially in Japan]?
>>
Playstation is the ghost of Nintendo after going full JUST after the SNES.

>Virtual Boy
>N64 using carts in the age of CD
>Gamecube ignoring internet
>Wii/DS/3DS/Wii U...
>>
>>339117618
If you're gonna say that, why did anybody put third party games on the N64?
>>
>>339117676
nintendo always sucked, they were just running alone in the NES era
the only company more retarded than nintendo was sega, which explains the SNES success too
>>
>>339117707
there were no third party games at all for the n64 actually, it was all nintendo themselves or second parties like rare
>>
>>339116743
Zelda 2 bombed and was as badly broken as castlevania2. Only underage millenials talk about them because of Internet faqs. Dq was way more influential
>>
>>339115979
The focus on mature games helped too.
>>
>>339117548
>Snes cartridges allowed for expansion chips while n64 didnt

Not a single JRPG uses the expansion chips on SNES except for Mario RPG.

>They tried ff on n64 and it couldn't handle it hence why all the characters are blocky outside of battle in ff7

Put this meme to rest. FFVII was never in development for N64. That FFVI in 3D demo wasn't done on N64 hardware but Silicon Graphics workstations.
>>
File: nes_sales.jpg (130 KB, 1175x579) Image search: [Google]
nes_sales.jpg
130 KB, 1175x579
>>339117913
>Zelda 2 bombed

I would hate to be this stupid
>>
>>339117707
A lot of third parties didn't put their games on N64. Howard Lincoln had to have high level meeting with EA to make sure that Madden was going to be on it.

Even still, the system did not sell well at all in Japan. Of the ~32 million systems they sold, 20 million of them were in the United States where Western games like Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, Turok, dominated.
>>
>>339117913
>being the underage millennial you described
>>
>>339118070
>>339118309
this just goes to show how nintentoddlers have always swallowed up everything they're thrown

I haven't met a single person who enjoyed that game, except the avgn which is were you probably found that this game existed
>>
File: zelda-II.jpg (885 KB, 2567x1736) Image search: [Google]
zelda-II.jpg
885 KB, 2567x1736
>>339118541
Cause you're an underage piece of shit and so are your friends.

In reader polls people kept voting Zelda II into the top 20 NES games for years after.
>>
>>339116076
Are you fucking serious? How young can you be? I didn't even play rpgs then but I can name Alundra and Breath of fires
>>
>>339118724
>I didn't even play rpgs then but I can name Alundra and Breath of fires

Alundra sold about 250k outside of Japan and the best selling Breath of Fire game couldn't crack 500k outside of Japan.

Not terrible by any means but hardly "hugely successful".
>>
>>339118541
Except Zelda II has always been one of the best Nintendo titles, and 90% of the dissenters came later in the form of 6th gen kiddies who weren't inherently indoctrinated to sidescrollers and found it too difficult
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.