[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Homefront: The Revolution is a good game with good graphics.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 9
File: 223100_20160528003154_1.png (1 MB, 1440x900) Image search: [Google]
223100_20160528003154_1.png
1 MB, 1440x900
Homefront: The Revolution is a good game with good graphics. Anyone who disagrees is either lying, played on consoles, or was dropped on their head as a child.
>>
Stutterfest: 900p resolution is a unequivocal piece of me-too game design.
>>
>>339108806
It seems like a game that offers nothing you haven't had if you've played any CoD game
>>
>>339108932
Why would anyone play a CryEngine game on consoles? And what is wrong with "me too" games? Dying Light is a "me too" game, and it's a good game. The TimeSplitters series was a "me too" series, and it was good.

How would you design Homefront 2 to make it not "me too"? Bear in mind the game started out as yet another linear FPS game.
>>
>Homefront
>A.K.A, the next battlefield hasn't been released yet, this should hold you over senpai
>>
That wall looks almost like real life, there's a lot of parts of the game that are not only unimpressive but cheap and unfinished looking.
>>
File: 1355081632175.jpg (11 KB, 298x292) Image search: [Google]
1355081632175.jpg
11 KB, 298x292
What does it have to offer that I can't experience with any other game.
>>
>>339108960
>It seems like a game that offers nothing you haven't had if you've played any CoD game
It's an open world game with dynamic weather, day-night cycles, no regenerating health, no hitscan weapons, and an emphasis on evasion over slaughter.

How is the game *anything* like Call of Duty? If you'd said "it offers nothing Stalker hasn't done" you might have made more sense.
>>
File: 223100_20160527230548_1.png (2 MB, 1440x900) Image search: [Google]
223100_20160527230548_1.png
2 MB, 1440x900
>>339109295
>That wall looks almost like real life, there's a lot of parts of the game that are not only unimpressive but cheap and unfinished looking.
And? Literally every open world game has areas that don't look quite as good. GTA V has areas that look downright shit.
>>
>>339108806
I actually played it and kind of enjoyed it.

Though it's mostly just a Urban Far Cry lacking content and polish. Ending was also kinda bullshit compared to what your character does the other 95% of the time.

Did have some alright moments though, like hijacking the Goliath, defending the SAMs and when things went to hell.
>>
>>339109298
>What does it have to offer that I can't experience with any other game.
This argument can be used to discredit almost every game in existence.
>>
>>339109336
My mistake, I didn't realize it was a new Homefront game.

>Korea is the world's most powerful and influential country
>US goes into debt because of all the wars in the Middle East
>Defaults on their debt to Korea, so Korea invades

well

at least it isn't the Russians or Chinese
>>
>>339108806
tritium sights are not that bright.

checkmate. homefront sucks
>>
The biggest sin that it commits is that it never really goes anywhere with any of its ideas. The narrative waffles between "these guys might be terrorists" and totally gung-ho about the chaos. Later, when the KPA is trying to stamp out the rebellion, it feels like an actual fight for survival, but it ultimately goes nowhere.

Also the game is piss-easy.
>>
File: 223100_20160527215932_1.png (2 MB, 1440x900) Image search: [Google]
223100_20160527215932_1.png
2 MB, 1440x900
The rain wets the ground in individual wet splashes that combine to form a wet surface. I've never seen that in a game before. Has any game done it before?
>>
File: cry3-2.jpg (349 KB, 1553x867) Image search: [Google]
cry3-2.jpg
349 KB, 1553x867
>>339109806
Crysis 3 was similar. Sights glow in the dark to help aiming. (Coincidentally, Dambuster worked on Crysis 3 as Crytek UK.) And of course this is a CryEngine game. CryEngine Generation 4, I think.
>>
it's certainly not a bad game but the reviews are really tearing it apart just for trying to play with the big boys it seems
>>
>>339109972
Post a webm that demonstrates this
>>
File: webgif.webm (3 MB, 1000x414) Image search: [Google]
webgif.webm
3 MB, 1000x414
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-Ok5YTHI1A

oh my god that is just awful, who saw those cutscenes and thought "yup, this is good"?
>>
File: 223100_20160528002506_1.png (2 MB, 1440x900) Image search: [Google]
223100_20160528002506_1.png
2 MB, 1440x900
If people claimed that Homefront 2 had "me too" graphics, I'd agree. The game is basically Crysis 3's graphics refined and stuck in an open world framerate. Plus they added Ryse's lighting system and a new weather/day-night system. Stuff like Mirror's Edge 2 treads on similar territory.

But... It takes a special kind of autism to look at this game and decide it looks like a PS3 game. The game scrappily manages to hold its own against other 2016 titles simply because it has day night cycles and is open world. Compared to Fallout 4, it looks like real life.
>>
>>339108932
>consoles
no
>>
>it's a play a rebel freedom fighters episode again
>>
>>339110436
I can't do it now, but I'll try sometime soon. It's an interesting effect. One problem is that rain is random. Although you do see it coming because there are actual clouds that move overhead.
>>
It is 2016. Graphics don't matter. Memetale did huge on a budget of $20
>>
Still wish this game was better than it was. You feel like a one man army rather than a guerrilla fighter.

Enemy placement was sparse and random, and mostly consistent of light infantry and aerial drones, with the odd ground drone or APC if you decide to stay around and slug it out. Kind of disappointed by the lack of jeeps, helicopters and that goliaths seem to be strictly story-related. Was also hoping for larger numbers of KPA to fight.

Really, it seems to borrow heavily from Far Cry; enemy detection meters, weapon merchant lockers, even the weapons and take-downs kind of felt like they had a similar style.

I did like the addition of modifiable utilities, even though I mostly stuck with the thrown and RC variety. RC IEDs were definitely fun to use.
>>
File: 223100_20160527234333_1.png (2 MB, 1440x900) Image search: [Google]
223100_20160527234333_1.png
2 MB, 1440x900
>>339110954
>It is 2016. Graphics don't matter.
There is actually a great deal of truth to this. Graphics have increasingly diminishing returns. We've no longer got huge visual strides, but rather small effects that have a huge accumulative performance hit. For example, the fact this TV has realtime environmental mapping with a simplified view of the environment. That's a really nice touch that takes advantage of modern graphics tech. But people don't jizz their pants at this.

And to make matters worse, PC gamers have been highly sensitive about the performance of their machines. We've gone from "Can it run Crysis?" to "This won't run X at 60fps, therefore X is shit. My PC is all-powerful. There is no way a well coded game could simply be too resource-intensive."
>>
It does not matter how good the game is. The OST is shit, how the fuck you fuck up there? Sonic games have not been good in forever but the music was always on point.
>>
>can't even stay above 30 on a TITAN X
Yeah, nah, game's unoptimized shit.
>>
>>339112194
Most casual players won't see little details and the niche audience that does won't be enough to support a huge budget for a game
>>
>>339111973
>Enemy placement was sparse and random, and mostly consistent of light infantry and aerial drones, with the odd ground drone or APC if you decide to stay around and slug it out. Kind of disappointed by the lack of jeeps, helicopters and that goliaths seem to be strictly story-related. Was also hoping for larger numbers of KPA to fight.
The game heavily reminds me of MGS V. You are forced to scrurry around like a rat because if the enemies sound an alarm, the shit will hit the fan. I love absolutely love the pursuit music and sense of danger as you flee through alleyways and clamber over rooftops and stuff.

But yes, they could have had greater escalation. Send in a helicopter gunship or something if you bite the bullet and try Ramboing your way through.

It's a good game. But with some tweaks, it could be a god-tier "skin of your teeth" survival game. It'd be awesome if they released the level editor files and such so people can mod it someday.
>>
>>339108806
>f me-too game design.
what does that mean?
>>
>>339112360
>The OST is shit
Wot? The OST is pretty good. The pause music is atmospheric. The music that plays when you're being pursued is excellent.

>>339112391
Don't believe idiots Youtubers. The game has a threading bug that causes the game to run at about 20fps on some high end hardware, but there's a workaround.

Crysis 1 drops to 30fps on an i7, and I don't recall people whining this much.
>>
I think this is the only thread that has actually talked about the game since it's been released. Did they not advertise or something? Is the game just really not great?
>>
>>339112639
Not sure but going to take a swing at it. I'm guessing "me-too" game design is devs copying blockbuster games. From this thread I'm guessing this game plays a lot like Farcry?

>>339112770
I have heard two shitty covers done for this game and after that I went deaf. I want to sue
>>
>>339112885
The game got an astounding "meh", it had all the ingredients for a great game but the execution was poor.

Plus it hasn't been cracked so barely anyone played it.
>>
>>339109465
obviously i wouldnt point it out if I didnt feel like it was especially apparent and not a minor thing like any other open game
>>
>>339112639
Taking no risks and instead just taking shit from stuff that's been done in the past(and worked) and just trowing it all together. It rarely, if ever goes as planned and almost always turns out shit and generally uninspired.
>>
>>339108806
I heard that the game has serious problems with the AI and has a lot of bugs
>>
>>339108806
how is the open world map? Is it full of goodies or is it just empty space
>>
>>339113023
>I have heard two shitty covers done for this game and after that I went deaf. I want to sue
Ah... you're not confusing Homefront: The Revolution with the old Homefront game from 2011, are you?
>>
>>339113401
>I heard that the game has serious problems with the AI and has a lot of bugs
The AI is generally fine. I've seen no major navigation issues or anything like that. Friendly AI that you recruit does a remarkably decent job of following you. Although there do seem to be some edge cases where it spazzes out completely for some.
>>
>>339113648
Oh shit, you're right. Please rape my face for that mistake.
>>
>>339113427
>how is the open world map? Is it full of goodies or is it just empty space
The game is divided up into zones. Each zone is fairly large. It's not empty space, and to be honest, this is both good and bad. Good because there are interesting sights to see. Bad because the game ends up a bit "busy" where there are a million radios to be tuning and a million loudspeakers to be sabotaged.

For the record, the game has no radio towers, at least that I've seen. I dunno why some people claim it does.

It actually reminds me of a hybrid of MGS V, Stalker, and Crysis more than Ubisoft's Far Cry games.

There's also the blindingly obvious fact that Crytek *created* Far Cry. This is a Crytek game. How can they rip off a game series they created in the first place?
>>
>>339113776
I think that the game should have simply been called "The Revolution". Because the storyline is a complete reboot of the original Homefront, and the game is basically nothing like the original game in any way. Music, gameplay, visuals, and so on -- all completely different.

All that using the Homefront name has done is confuse people about the storyline and outrage MP fans of the original Homefront who are angry this game has no PvP MP.
>>
Here's what I don't get. Homefront 2 has its passionate fans, but a lot of people are savaging it for "no innovation" and being "me too".

Dying Light is literally Dead Island with mechanics stolen unashamedly from Far Cry 3. It uses the EXACT SAME CORPSE SEARCHING ANIMATION. You literally climb rickety radio towers and turn them on.

Homefront 2 is clearly influenced by other games, but it has its own flavour, own vibe. There's nothing lifted 100% verbatim that I've seen.

Dying Light gets showered in praise despite being completely unoriginal. Homefront 2 is shat on.

The game runs badly on consoles? The new Fallout 4 DLC runs at 15fps at places on PS4. You won't see Fallout 4 slammed as a shit game by the mainstream.

The deck is stacked against games like this, and it's kind of sad. I hope the upcoming patches can salvage the game's reputation by fixing the performance issues and game breaking bugs.
>>
File: 223100_20160527232224_1.png (2 MB, 1440x900) Image search: [Google]
223100_20160527232224_1.png
2 MB, 1440x900
I've had more fun playing this game than playing any Assassin's Creed or (non-Crytek) Far Cry title.

The NPC interactions are pretty interesting. I once saw a soldier stop a random civilian and demand the civilan lick his boot. The civilian complied. It felt like Half Life 2's dream finally realised.
>>
>>339108806
cant pirate 0/10 will never play.
Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.