[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is it even worth playing? I've heard some extremely mixed
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 140
Thread images: 19
File: 1442536522813.jpg (42 KB, 500x300) Image search: [Google]
1442536522813.jpg
42 KB, 500x300
Is it even worth playing? I've heard some extremely mixed opinions on it.
>>
>>339079243
Holy fuck, YES!
It's easily FAR better "MGS5" than TPP ended up being, and if you ask me, easily in the top-3 MGS games EVER made.

Originally, I ignored PW, as I didn't really care of PSP in general, and I wasn't too fond of PO either. That being said, once I got the HD Collection for PS3 and gave it a shot, I was instantly hooked. It is simply fucking FUN.

I ended up putting over 350 hours to it on my original save, AND I replayed the plot alone a month before release of MGS5 just under 30 hours. It's just addicting as hell, great fun alone AND with friends.
>>
>>339079243
3>2>=1>PW=4>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>RUSE SIMULATOR
>>
>>339079243
I legitimately have no respect for people who can't get into PW.

Peace Walker has everything TPP lacks. Mission variety, online co-op, better multiplayer.

Refined gameplay mechanics alone don't make a good game. PW > TPP in every way
>>
>>339079243
The sneaking gameplay is the weakest in the entire series. It amused people who like spending time on their shitty base, that's all. MGSV is basically it but far better (despite its own flaws).
>>
>>339079486
>>339079643
>>339079728
These to be honest family. PW is fucking amazing once you get into it. Probably the best handheld game ever as well. Still better than V.
>>
>>339079243
it's very fast paced and simplified, for better or worse. Enemies are literally blind and deaf and you can't crawl or drag, and CQC is mostly contextual. The structure in general is different, with separate missions instead of a full connected story, and several missions unrelated to the main game, and you pick loadouts before heading out. The rest of the game is base management, normally with menus and a couple of very passive minigames that are nonetheless pretty entertaining. You can choose to play as certain members of MSF instead of snake except in specific story missions. Story is pretty much senseless fluff but it gets the job done, codec is replaced by contextual remarks by your support team and conversations recorded on tape accessed through a separate menu outside the game. Most of this won't be new if you've played V, as it follows a similar basis.

It's really simple and small map-wise, but I found myself constantly reloading and replaying levels looking for S ranks and just being the most professional and competent Big Boss I could be. Where other games in the series lock you into playing a certain style for several hours, PW separates its gameplay into 15 minute chunks and allows you to create your rules from scratch every time if you desire.

If you're just fucking around and capturing soldiers it's one of the most fun MGS games, but if you're going for certain materials or objectives, it quickly turns extremely grindy. The Bosses are all mechanical and mostly braindead and the game entirely gives up on being a stealth game around them. Some bosses have non-lethal strategies but they still take a long time and far more patience than skill. Co-op goes a long way here and fits better than in the other missions which might be over in 2 minutes.

V was better, though
>>
>>339079243
Imagine those borderline ecchi games like the ninja tit games. The gameplay is mediocre but you can't find yourself hating it. There's so much charm and tits. In small burst it's a great experience.

PW is somewhat similar, the sneaking is somewhat mediocre compared to the console installments. But there's so much charm and things to unlock and tanks to battle and mech bosses, and cute girls and cute boys.

You should definitely try it. Not on a PSP though. If you want to play the original release emulate it. You can't aim worth sit on PSP and shooting is very important in the game. If you want you can even play it like an arcade shooter instead of mediocrely sneaking around to spice things up. After all you're only killing ruskies and robots.

It's charm incarnated. The introduction level, the beach, it's literally a better designed map than the entirety of MGSV. I don't mean the whole mission, just that small ass beach. Not even joking.
>>
better than 4 and, story/character-wise better than 5.

the only reason it deserves hate it constantly having to battle tanks/helis/armored vehicles in place of actual bosses, then doing them all over again 30 times in side ops.

but then they went ahead and did the same thing in tpp
>>
You have to remember that it was designed as a PSP game first and that most, if not all of the design choices are based around those limitations. It's still a good game, but just don't expect any massively amazing. You also might not like it for the base building mechanics but it has charm with its story and characters, unlike MGSV.
>>
>>339080976
4 was both a better sneaking and action game that PW.
>>
>>339081447
*than
>>
>>339081447
not really, no.

pw has way more content. chapter 3 of mgs4 is the worst for making you tail a guy and insta-failing upon detection. ch.1 is literally cod modern warfare and you have to really work to avoid combat. btu then you are forced anyway against the frogs or whatever.

mgs4 is gloomy and creates forced drama. pw is alive and funky.

its really no content. give mgs4 better graphics, i guess? other than that pw is superior in everyway
>>
>>339079243
It has the best metal gear multiplayer, co-op is a damn good thing when done right.

Which is unfortunate that V didn't have any of that.
>>
>>339079243
Why do you expect anything but more mixed opinions then?
>>
I put off playing PW for a long time. I thought it was just some shitty portable game. MGSV was complete garbage to me, but I actually enjoyed PW. The story ain't too bad either. It's actually a Metal Gear game unlike V. It's also a complete game, so that's a plus.
>>
>>339079243
No. Anything after 3 should just be completely ignored. This is thinly veiled monster hunter, bullet sponge bullshit
>>
>>339079643
This

PW isn't the best, but its FAR from bad.
>>
>>339079243
Yes. It's great. The gameplay is not nearly as good as MGSV. In fact it's probably between 2 and 3 in terms of gameplay mechanics.

However the story and the lore/backstory introduced through tapes (like codec calls) is EXTREMELY important stuff, at least the stuff that isn't directly related to unimportant characters.
>>
>>339081741
>ch.1 is literally cod modern warfare
No it isn't. You can sneak everywhere except one or two sections per mission which is completely in keeping with the previous entries in the series.
>chapter 3 of mgs4 is the worst for making you tail a guy and insta-failing upon detection
I don't recall it making you insta-fail, but if it did then stop getting fucking spotted. Why are you playing Metal Gear Solid again?
>mgs4 is gloomy and creates forced drama
It was the culmination of ten years of story, sorry if it was a bit more serious in tone. We can discuss the things that were bad about MGS4's story till the end of time, but being "gloomy" was not one of them. It still had the silly shit dotted around the place that defines the tone of the series.

Guards in PW might as well not fucking be there, that's how bad they are. MGS4 has plenty of gameplay, and having an absurd number of cutscenes ON TOP OF THAT doesn't change that.
>>
>>339081447
4 is at ends with it's own design. It's made to be a much faster game than 3, which can be seen by the crouch-walking and the automatic octo-camo, but it also gives the player 5 different markers to look at, most of which only stabilize when you're stopped, not to mention chapter 3, which moves at a snail's pace no matter how much information you've got, or that weird-ass scout crawl and playing dead, both which were pretty damn useless in the game. It also tries to give the player several options but insists on keeping the item slot constantly occupied by the solid eye, or the transmitter in chapter 3. It's a game that gives you obvious dominant strategies and even forces you into certain playstyles while it constantly teases you with a ton of options you're unlikely to use.

PW, for all the simplification it suffered, likely to being on a platform with a small screen and only one analog stick, was very much designed to complement its flaws. They didn't take out crawling because they couldn't make it work, but because it had no place in a fast-paced action game. In terms of design, PW is closer to the tight projects of the early MSX games and MGS1 than the feature wank that 3 led the series into becoming, despite having several flaws.
>>
>>339082498
>it's probably between 2 and 3 in terms of gameplay mechanics
But those games have good gameplay.
>>
>PW is latest MGS entry
>PEACE WALKER SUCKS RABBLE RABBLE HOW COULD OUR GOD KOJIMA POSSIBLY MAKE THIS GARBAGE AHHHHH

>TPP is latest entry
>PEACE WALKER IS AMAZING I LOVE KOJIMA MMMN YES GIVE ME YOUR COCK I LOVE PEACE WALKER

In all seriousness, the gameplay sucks, but I highly enjoyed the story. Easily the most gripping and climatic of any MGS game, possibly almost any game I've played.

>we have fifteen hundred soviet ICBMs crossing the north pole
>>
>>339082506
I don't get why people cry about chapter 3 SO MUCH. It's so easy not to get spotted. It's so easy not to lose track of him. I don't fucking get it. Are people just REALLY BAD at video games?
>>
>>339082660
Yes.
>>
>>339081447
Sure, but can you have your own mercenary army in 4? Thought so
>>
>>339082582
3 arguably has bad gameplay, it introduced a lot of useless shit.

Even though some of it is gone now, most of it stuck to the wall.
>>
>>339082582
>2 has no CQC
>PW has some CQC
>3 has better CQC

>2 has over the top camera
>PW has 3rd person camera
>3 HD has the best implementation of 3rd person camera and over the top option

etc

Stop shitposting you little faggot fucker
>>
>>339082909
>2 and 3 have guards that can actually see you
>2 and 3 have good level design
>2 and 3 have bosses that aren't just bullet sponges

etc.

PW's CQC was OP as fuck.
>>
>>339082660
It's /v/ anon, you expect people to PLAY video games? Let alone be GOOD at it?
Chapter 3 is fucking slow, yes, but ditch the coat and go octo camo and you'll need to be a retard to be spotted.
>>
>>339082660
it is easy, which is what makes it so fucking boring. It's a near half hour of listening to some jackass whistle loud as fuck while making no attempt to be discrete during martial law and picking the worst fucking route. Then you get to do the same thing again except now he's wearing some armor to blend in with the guards.

They had some beautiful city streets rendered, face-camo and trenchcoat options added and the chapter, and the rest of the game, does literally nothing with them. It's just waiting for some faggot to reach the stupid door even if you already know where it is. That's ignoring the transmitter occupying your item slot and otacon popping up every 5 seconds making inane questions like he's never looked at a map display before.

Then you get through that and it's a braindead chase sequence which I assume keeps it simple so you can see all the cool camera angles kojima picked out and the worst boss in the game, which also involves a lot of sitting around until she floats into your sights.

The game wasn't amazing up to that point but chapter 3 is where it really falls apart, while simultaneously showing off all the great resources they built and all the potential the game had
>>
File: mgspw_06.jpg (84 KB, 520x294) Image search: [Google]
mgspw_06.jpg
84 KB, 520x294
>>339083161
PW CQC felt like Big Boss is some melee monster instead of a bitch slapper and accidental throat cutter like in 3.
>>
>>339082660
I hate chapter 3 because of how long it is. It's a dumb gimmick. It gets old very quick and takes way longer than it should. Even if you play it perfectly, the portion is basically on a timer. You are forced to wait for his slow ass walking speed and gimmicks. It also has the most boring boss fight. What probably hurts the most is that sneaking through a city could've been fucking awesome, but it's ruined. I imagine sneaking through a city, maybe grabbing people and picking up clues to where the hideout is. But no. Wipe this chapter from the face of the Earth.
>>
>>339082909
the third person camera added to Subsistence was a terrible idea and made the game, not to mention the entire series from that point, a neutered shooter
>>
>>339079243
It's a little bit shit. At times it's admirable shit, but it's still shit. The game looks and sounds great--the comic book style cut scenes in particular are a great touch. The story itself is superfluous and pretty awful, though.

Base management is satisfying in a popcorn kind of way, but aside from seeing numbers go up it's mostly fruitless. You get more toys, but a lot of them are either redundant or useless. Partly because sneaking is so utterly brain dead, and partly because many of them are only useful for getting more soldiers.

The level design is actually fairly solid and varied. Maps are small, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. The issue is that the level design seems to think that it's for MGS1 or MGS3. But PW isn't those games, and the limitations of the guards make them out to be overwhelmingly incompetent.
>>
>>339079486
>people talk about PW positively now TPP is out
I can't believe it took me this long to realize the Zelda cycle applies to Metal Gear as well.
>>
>>339082909
CQC isn't necessarily a good thing. Balancing matters. Context matters. Similarly, the old camera style isn't inferior to the movable one. MGS2 was designed with it in mind, and it complements other aspects of the game. PW is a broken mess.
>>
>>339079643
to me, it's 3=PW>1 >4>2>TPP.

GZ would sit somewhere close to PW, would it not be so so short. It proves that TPP would have been amazing with well designed, more compact maps. And, of course, with the actual Chapter 3 being included in the game + more lively Motherbase.

>>339084106
>The story itself is superfluous and pretty awful, though.
I don't quite understand these claims.
I personally found the mid-70s Cold War era middle America setting very fascinating, with both USA and USSR being "evil invaders" at the same time. The fact that BB was also a major thorn in the whole world's power balance was also exciting as fuck.

>>339084284
you can try as hard as you like to jam the "Zelda cycle" to every single spot, but I've liked PW a lot ever since I actually got to finally play it on PS3.
Not to mention OoT & MM are still the best games in their own series. Period.
>>
It's fun but more designed for replay value. Overall the game feels balanced around either playing with others or grinding to progress, It's very easy to understand why people that just want to progress through the plot will get turned off the game when they get stuck unable to kill the first APC
>>
>>339084468
>4>2
Care to explain yourself, anon?
>>
>>339084468
You can't really deny that people have bitched about the new releases and then praised them after the next one came along ever since MGS4.
>>
>>339084468
It was a cool setting, but there's more to a story than the setting. Most of the characters were boring or pointless. Amanda and Cecile serve very little purpose, Huey is just a less interesting Otacon, Strangelove is more wankery about the Boss, Hot Coldman isn't a very compelling antagonist, and Paz's only real feature as a character is that she's secretly a Patriots agent.

And why do we need to spend more time on Big Boss and The Boss? We knew their motivations already. There wasn't a link "missing." And to top it all off it's by far the most thematically heavy-handed Metal Gear game in existence. Which is saying something, since Kojima has never been subtle.
>>
>>339084468
>I personally found the mid-70s Cold War era middle America setting very fascinating, with both USA and USSR being "evil invaders" at the same time. The fact that BB was also a major thorn in the whole world's power balance was also exciting as fuck.

that's the context, the actual story is pretty much dumb with Kaz taking money from Zero to build mother base when staying the fuck away from zero would be much smarter, some lesbian trying to bring the boss back to life through some wildly insane AI plot that seems somehow more complex than the AI from 40 years in the future, and the legendary Big Boss still being a sap with mommy issues. Not to mention some bald asshole called Hot Coldman thinking up literally the worst plan to prove nuclear deterrence works when it's been years since the US already made a decent attempt at that in Hiroshima.

That and the story has some wild star wars prequels feel going on, with several characters having callbacks or appearances which just serve to make the world smaller.

>Hey look, it's Otacon's father, and he's working for Big Boss, just like otacon did with Snake!
>Oh wow, it's young Master Miller, did you know he was best friends with Big Boss?
>This is the very first metal gear, made by Otacon's dad, bet you didn't know that
>Remember when you had to shoot the Boss? Now you get to shoot a horse!

and so on

>the rest of your post

you've got some terrible opinions but I love you just the same
>>
It's pretty great for a PSP game, not sure why everyone shits all over it.
Just keep that in mind and you can probably enjoy it for what it is, a decent portable MGS with a few simplifications, but a decent amount of content.
>>
>>339085861
Being a PSP game isn't an excuse to have bad, tedious design.
>>
>>339084546
MGS2's gameplay is from ass.
The pacing and design of the entire Big Shell is terrible.
Raiden is a faggot, Rose is a dick.

Sorry, but melting ice TECHNOLOGY won't make it fun to play.
>>
>>339079243
Not really. The only people saying it's a good game are those who started with it. Or maybe they're REALLY into looting and collecting, there's a lot of that shit as well. It lacks the Kojima touch, there are no neat details to discover, no hidden little cool things in gameplay. You hide behind boxes and kill people, that's it. And the story is just a repeat of 3 with literally 1 cool idea, the Peace Walker itself.
>>
>>339086021
I disagree with this post.
>>
File: ea1.png (178 KB, 651x434) Image search: [Google]
ea1.png
178 KB, 651x434
>>339084468
>MGSV
>worst

I hate you faggots

MGSV has 50 hours of gameplay before stuff starts repeating, is easily 200+ hour game if youre a completionist
>one mission and a title card is cut
>OMG UNFINISHED GAME FACK U KOJIMA

>MGS4 is 15 hours long, 10 of those are cutscenes only five of them gameplay
>only two or so of those hours are the core stealth gameplay, rest are forced action setpieces or turret sequences or following around that chucklefuck in Prague
>well at least its a complete game :^)

Its funny how /v/ tears into moviegames like TloU and gone homo but hates MGSV for being an actual video GAME with GAMEplay
>>
PW has some great story, especially the last moments not counting zeke
>>
File: image.jpg (69 KB, 500x331) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
69 KB, 500x331
>And the story is just a repeat of 3 with literally 1 cool idea, the Peace Walker itself.

Did you even play it?
>>
>>339086021
How? The level design is top-tier. If you didn't like the setting and the characters then that's one thing, but each individual strut and bridge is well designed and is decently challenging to sneak through, while allowing you to vary in your approach.
>>
>>339086362
Sometimes less is more. Having 50+ hours worth of content doesn't make that content good.
>>
File: 1463864751555.jpg (144 KB, 1613x903) Image search: [Google]
1463864751555.jpg
144 KB, 1613x903
PW is good at the start but get repetitive as fuck. I'm not even joking ether, it just blatantly re-skins the same vehicles like 10 times and you have to fight them again each time. Also good luck unlocking the last mission, boss you'll never guess you escaped!
>>
>>339086362
>running around a boring desert all day
>do it 50 more times

10/10 gameplay
>>
>>339086362
You are massively exaggerating MGS4's "lack" of gameplay content. What's there is great. MGSV changed the stealth system in such a way that you can just crawl to win.
>>
>>339086362
Yeah, MGS V is really good. Every MGS has done a great job in terms of creating it's own identity conceptually, regardless of being sequels to games of the same franchise. I can't rank them, they are all great in their own way. If I have to bash MGS V it's without a doubt the whole continuing the story by replaying the game in + difficulty thing. That should never be the case.
>>
>>339086717
zardornov's done it again
Zardornov's done it again!
ZARDONOV'S DONE IT AGAIN
>>
>>339086717
BOSS
ZADORNOV
HAS
DONE
IT
AGAIN
YOU WILL NEVER GUESS WHAT HAPPENED
>>
File: BossI15.png (566 KB, 787x799) Image search: [Google]
BossI15.png
566 KB, 787x799
>>339086609
MGS4's content is fucking ass, though. It is objectively the worst game in the series from both a gameplay and story standpoint

Youre just mad MGSV didnt fit into your preconceived notions of what Big Boss' fall meant and the story is told through gameplay instead of hours and hours of verbose cutscenes. You cant enjoy gameplay for its own sake, you need yo be constantly reassured by the story why each mission is the MOST IMPORTANT THING EVER SERIOUSLY INTEGRAL TO THIS STORY. being left to your own devices terrifies you.
>>
>>339085516
Personally, I didn't find the cast to be quite that bad. Besides the silliness of the name "Hot Coldman", and Cecile being a literal bird brain.

Everyone else, however, did help build up Big Boss' character. Ever since MGS1, there'd been all these characters speaking high and might about the so-called "big bad" of the series, yet we'd never gotten any better explanation for it than "he saved orphans, took 'em in, trained and threw to next war", making him sound nothing but calculating, cunning villain with a charm.

With PW, we not only finally start to see how he created his own military / country, and how he seemingly got into conflict with his old friends and country, but also how he actually won hearts of people. People who also helped him expand, provided him support.

Amanda with the rebels is a pretty easy example; local resistance militia definitely is going to speak highly of BB after their victory, and potentially provide info and supplies. Huey and Strangelove would create the base of his hi-tech arsenal, and help root information technology networks around the globe.

The "re-introduction" of the Boss gets a bit too much attention, in my opinion, as we know that did not exactly happen. However, it did help BB shed his last remaining connections with his past, and seriously start acting like a leader of his new-found nation.The end-speech of Chapter 5 got my heart pumping, and definitely made the entire game more than worth playing.

GZ seemed to continue this epic tale of emotions, but then TPP came and swept all that hard work under a rug.

>>339086362
length does not equal quality. Some of my favorite games can be beat in an hour, and they're still far superior than MGS5.
>>
>>339086793
That's because equipment is the new difficulty level. If you're equiped out of your ass, you're playing on easy, don't start complaining that it's easy. Try going naked and see how far you'll crawl. The game is as hard or as easy as you want it to be, just pick the gear.
>>
>>339079243
It's good but the bosses take forever to beat because they were made for 4 people
>>
File: image.jpg (300 KB, 1445x548) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
300 KB, 1445x548
>>339086362
Doesn't change the fact that 90% of the story is just being everyone's bitchboi doing wet work for no real reason but "muh cypher", interspersed with exactly one interesting boss fight and several tedious bullet sponge ones, culminating with an anticlimactic showdown with a villain who simultaneously has no real importance yet also shits all over the previous entries.

And then you get to replay some missions with slight variations, and then a few cutscenes. Wow, what a masterpiece.

Not to mention every single character in MGSV is an insufferable faggot. Peace Walker had a great cast.
>>
>>339087027
>Some of my favorite games can be beat in an hour, and they're still far superior than MGS5
Name them, I'd like to know an hour long game that's better than MGS fucking 5.
>>
>>339087041
But I was barely using equipment on my first playthrough.
>>
>>339087173
>Peace Walker had a great cast
Otakon clone, a lesbian, CHICO, stupid retard girl and Amanda. Amanda was alright I guess. But MGS5's Huey alone is a better character than the entire cast of PW. Or MGS4 for that matter, that story sucked.
>>
>>339087173
Truly, Swole-DYEL Man was a fantastic villain.
>>
>>339087023
I'm not defending MGS4. I think it's worse than MGSV overall. But the idea that MGSV is intrinsically good just because it has a lot of content is stupid.

>Youre just mad MGSV didnt fit into your precondition notions
Incorrect. I never thought we needed another game about Big Boss's douchebaggery period. V's story is dogshit, but that's not where my biggest issues with the game lie. What a lazy post.
>>
>>339079243
Anyone still play online (PS3)?
>>
>>339087241
You don't even need anything fancy to get to easy mode. Tranq+steal camo = easy as fuck. Go lethal only and naked, that's the hard mode, that's actually interesting to play. Now if you take someone out and the enemy finds the body, they don't just wake him up and walk away, they raise the alarm. And shooting a person in the foot five times won't make him go to sleep peacefully, it will freak him out and raise the alarm
>>
File: 1463517923203.jpg (3 MB, 5000x5000) Image search: [Google]
1463517923203.jpg
3 MB, 5000x5000
>>339086717
>Snake! Zadornov's done it again!
>...great...
>...Snake! Zadornov's done it again!
>Gimme a break...
>...Snake listen! Zadornov's done it again!
>C'mon!
most retarded and yet the most entertaining conversation i've seen in vidya yet
also
>mfw he's done it again
>>
File: maxresdefault (2).jpg (75 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault (2).jpg
75 KB, 1280x720
>>339087173
>Doesn't change the fact that 90% of the story is just being everyone's bitchboi doing wet work for no real reason but "muh cypher",

>dude i need cutscene and plot to justify the gameplay
>if the game isnt giving me constant positive reinforcement it sucks lmao

The story is light because its about you. The gameplay IS the story, you, a normie forced to take up the mantle of Big Boss, and you're building his legend through gameplay.
>>
>>339087173
>90% of the story is just being everyone's bitchboi killing random supersoldiers for no real reason but "muh Boss"
There, now you have the story of MGS3. Happy now?
>>
File: image.jpg (94 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
94 KB, 1280x720
>>339087757
Oh fuck the 2deep4u fags are here, everybody go home.

Seriously, that isn't a bad idea for a game in itself but making an entry in a custcene-heavy, story-driven series that doesn't have any of the marks of the series is just poor execution.
>>
>>339087027
>Everyone else, however, did help build up Big Boss' character
It was shit we already knew. Sure, we got to "see" parts of it, but we got to see parts of it in previous games anyway. The rest was easy enough to fill in ourselves.
>The "re-introduction" of the Boss gets too much attention
The game seems pretty fixated on it. So does Big Boss despite already knowing what the Boss did and why as well as shooting her in the head himself.

PW showed Big Boss changing into the guy we see in MG1 and MG2, but did we need to see that change? No. The dots were obvious enough to connect already.
>>
>>339086362
I would rather have 6-10 hours of well constructed gameplay than 30 hours of repeated missions in two empty maps with Far Cry gameplay and grinding with real-time plus padded gameplay via being dropped off far away from your objective so you have to either bring a travel buddy or spend a long ass time walking there.
>>
>>339087176
The original Castlevania can be completed in less than thirty minutes.
>>
>>339087995
Youre just mad Kojima wanted to do a contextual meta narrative based in gameplay instead of verbose heavy handed nostalgia bait cutscenes, got it.

I always liked metal gear's story but every previous game except 1 and peace walker was too goddamn talky. Games should primarily be based in GAMEplay
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EaABZqW4DNg

>Big Boss and Kaz fight naked in a sauna

10/10 game.
>>
>>339087757
>STARRING "PUNISHED" SNAKE
>STARRING KAZ MILLER
>STARRING THE SKULLS UNIT
>GUEST STARRING HIDEO KOJIMA
>WRITTEN AND DIRECTED BY HIDEO KOJIMA
>>
File: image.jpg (170 KB, 908x1000) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
170 KB, 908x1000
>>339088318

>Guest starring: THE SKULLS PARASITE UNIT
>>
>>339079243

It's complete dogshit if you wanted an MGS. MGSV is basically the good version of Peace Walker. Only play it out of curiosity, if that.
>>
>>339079243
Not a fan. Worst bosses in the series and the gameplay in general wasn't fantastic. Didn't love the cast of characters either.
>>
>>339088102
>6-10 hours of well constructed gameplay
GZ + Intro + Kaz rescue + Honey Bee + Malak rescue + Quiet boss fight + Huey rescue, stealh Saha fight + Oil refinery + Kids rescue mission + Devil's House, Volgin fight + White Mamba + Code Talker rescue, sniper squad boss fight + OKB Zero, combat Saha fight + Shining Lights
There, here's your 10 hours of well constructed gameplay. I can even cut it down to 6 if you think that missions like Honey Bee and Malak rescue are not fun enough for you. Happy now? Can everyone else play the rest of the game?
>>
>>339088531
>it's a bad MGS!!
>it's basically just like the last MGS before it
Oh just fuck off will you
>>
>>339088897

MGSV took the one good idea that PW had (mother base), and made it a million times better. There's no reason to play PW now since there's a version of it with actual MGS gameplay in existence instead of no-crawl fulton "missions".
>>
>>339087176
Silent Hill 1 and 2
>>
>>339088803
>Combining GZ into it
No
>Intro
No. This is a slow and boring tutorial. Also, none of it matters because it's a lie.

The rescues are all the same, just in different locations. Quiet boss fight is one of the few in the game and isn't very good. Despite being such a good sniper apparently, she's dumber than a sack of rocks.

I was in agony playing this awful game to completion. It's all the same shit in the end. It drops you off far away from your objective, you have to run there or use a buddy, farm guards you need for the grinding minigame, and then you will be destroying something, fultoning someone, getting something, or trailing someone and then killing/taking them.

PW was broken into missions because of its mobile limitations, and they worked with those limitations. Meanwhile, V is broken up into missions because ??????? instead of game being there. GET THIS ENEMY COMMANDER. GET THIS THING. GET THISSSSS COMMANDER, TRAIL THIS GUY. TRAIL THIS GUY. DESTROY THIS OUTPOST EQUIPMENT DESTROY THIS OUTPOST EQUIPMENT. No, just no. End this meme.
>>
File: 1425329449085.png (232 KB, 469x348) Image search: [Google]
1425329449085.png
232 KB, 469x348
>>339088318
>Oh boy, I can't wait to see what'll happen in this mission
>GUEST STARRING THE SKULLS UNIT
>GUEST STARRING QUIET
>GUEST STARRING SKULLFACE
>GUEST STARRING THE MAN ON FIRE
>GUEST STARRING PAZ
>GUEST STARRING STRANGELOVE'S SKELETON
>GUEST STARRING THE REAL BIG BOSS WHOM YOU AREN'T
Who fucking thought that was a good idea
>>
>>339089240
>V had a better motherbase

Its shit. They dump a shit load of niggers that you might not even want on you and automatically assign them to roles before you even get to see their skills.

Going to the motherbase itself is a complete chore that doesn't benefit you at all besides watching another cutscene.

And stop jerking off to crawling already.
>>
File: kojima-main.jpg (152 KB, 700x500) Image search: [Google]
kojima-main.jpg
152 KB, 700x500
>>339089650
>Also, none of it matters because it's a lie

Again, mad because the story isnt what you thought it would be.

Again, you are mad the game is about being a game instead of an incomprehensible verbose mess of cutscenes.

Stay mad, nerd
>>
>>339089926
No, I'm stating an objective fact. That was not a criticism of the story. The first hospital scene is literally a lie. The truth isn't shown entirely to hide the twist. The real hospital scene, the one that matters, is shown in the Truth Ending. You're probably not the guy I'm responding to, but you're a fucking retard who is really reaching to prove some dumb point.
>>
>>339089650
>The rescues are all the same, just in different locations
MGS5 is all about infiltrating bases. You can't seriously say that it's bad that the whole game is you infiltrating bases. That's the point of the game.
>>
>>339089910

You'd rather see Mother Base through a bunch of menus than walk around and chill between operations? You can still micromanage in both games, so I don't see any disadvantage.
>>
>>339090104
"There is no truth, only interpretations"

Context from the tapes makes it more likely the prologue is a more accurate version of the events. The "truth" is yet another lie that lets Venom remember who he is.

The Zero tapes imply that the medic was already Big Boss' phantom by 1977, while the truth frames it as the switcheroo only happening days before the XOF attack.
>>
>>339089650
You see, you're speaking as a retard who just didn't understand the game. Sure, every mission sounds simple. But every mission has a cool way of doing it. For example, one of the boring mission is finding a CIA guy in a desert and getting him out before the Soviets get to him. You can easily complete it by just running to him. Or you can let Soviets take him, you'll hear interesting dialogue, you'll find out interesting little details and in the end an XOF operative will show up at the prison where they took him to shoot him in the head. That's cool. It's cool how much shit there is in every mission. But all of that is entirely missable if you're the kind of retard who just rushes everything. Then for you the entire mission is just running a bit in the desert. Yeah, that mission sucks. The actual mission is fun though.
>>
>>339079243
PW has literally the best music and FUN mechanics in metal gear.
>>
>>339090260
The main difference really is the droid ui is shit.

It looks and feels bad to use. PW made it simple and pleasant to assign soldiers and r&d projects.
>>
>>339090785
Fags are so used to being railroaded along by cutscenes in a MGS game that approaching every mission as a sandbox and a story told through gameplay is too much for them
>>
File: 22dd7.jpg (54 KB, 766x434) Image search: [Google]
22dd7.jpg
54 KB, 766x434
>Be MH fag
>Friend is MGS fag
>We both get Peace Walker and play it
>Convince friend to do Tigrex mission
>He gets ruined while I sit cooking rations and laugh at him

I had far to much fun with those missions.
Felt very good to bomb Rathalos out of the sky.
>>
>>339086362
Kaz earlier in the game
>If the world finds out about Sahelanthropus civilization will be destroyed as we know it (or some shit like that)

Last game cutscene
>Eli steals Sahelanthropus from Motherbase into dunnowhere
>nothing happens

Also late game
>You have to kill every soldier infected with the vocal chord parasite, burning some of them alive so birds won't feed on their corpses.

Late game
>Quiet activates her almonds parasites and goes to die in the middle of the desert
>WHERE CLEARLY THERE ARE ANIMALS THAT WILL FEED ON HER CORPSE

Holy fucking shit the ending pissed me a lot.

Gameplay was fine though, but i was disappointed there wasn't a Snow area or a City area with lots of verticality.
>>
>>339090865
It looks fine you autist.
>>
>>339091287
>Eli steals Sahelanthropus from Motherbase into dunnowhere
>nothing happens
You did see the final cut mission, didn't you?
>>
>>339091380
Not in the game, not canon.
>>
>>339090591
>"There is no truth, only interpretations"
Okay, then I interpret that the tapes are a lie and nothing can be trusted. If Paz can be that vivid and be fake, the tapes can be too. Durrr, you're fucking retarded. You jumped into a discussion about gameplay and tried to shove some dumb game theory down my throat that is undermined by your words. Take your game theories over to Reddit. This is a gameplay discussion.

>>339090785
>One detail in a mission means the gameplay is good.

First off, that's barely gameplay. The fact that I didn't catch a small detail for being bad at a mission isn't gameplay. This does not bolster your stance on gameplay. And even in your words.

>Then for you the entire mission is just running a bit in the desert. Yeah, that mission sucks.

>>339091089
You're the type of person who buys Far Cry games and goes
>WOW LOOK AT THAT EXPLOSION I CAN DO ANYTHING THIS IS EPIC.

I like sandboxes. However, I like actually well constructed sandboxes like Hitman Blood Money.
>>
>>339091287
Well, the science mumbo jumbo about the birds thing is that the vocal cord parasites had mutated by that time.

Quiet's version weren't evil self propagating ones like those.

Still dumb.
>>
File: Metal Gear Newfag Guide Final 2.jpg (2 MB, 1500x3514) Image search: [Google]
Metal Gear Newfag Guide Final 2.jpg
2 MB, 1500x3514
>>339079243
>skipping games
Game is great. It's a tad easy, but has good plot with a shitton of backstory-laden tapes to delve through if interested, lots of pseudo-historlical ones about the cold war. It's also easily has the most content out of any MGS game with lots of mission variety and co-op.
>>
>>339091484
Just checked, the virus did mutate and it definitely wasn't the same strain as her virus.

But her strain was similar to the one in the GET THE FUCK OUT OF THERE mission, where Cipher put earbuds in their throats.

And CLEARLY they burned entire villages to prevent it from going viral.

Quiet a shit.
>>
>>339091324
No it god damn isn't.

V shitters talk about the little things in gameplay it has.

But it has a lot of shitty little things too that make the experience worse than it should be.
>>
>>339079243
Best Monster Hunter to date
>>
>>339091450
It is gameplay, you have to trail those guys and then you have to get into the heavily guarded building where they're keeping the guy before the assassin arrives. That's what you play MGS for isn't it? To infiltrate shit and to be stealthy. What do you want, bike racing sequences?
>>
I'd say so. I had fun with it, plus it has weeb stuff
>>
>>339092074
But i used a guide or cheesed every mission with D Dog so i can beat everything in 30 seconds. Game sux.
>>
>>339091748

You don't need MG1 or MG2 to understand MGS1. MGS1 is a perfectly good place to start.
>>
File: 2015-09-12_00006.jpg (146 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
2015-09-12_00006.jpg
146 KB, 1920x1080
>>339091898
It was an asspull about how the spreading mechanism if I remember right.

The original strain only spread by speaking, and then being exposed to the right language to make sexy times.

The mutated one just didn't give a fuck and had sex all the time AND could spread by other methods.
Sorry guys.
>>
>>339091898
Pretty sure they've burned those villages to erase evidence.
>>
>>339091748
Possibly the cringiest /v/-related infograph/guide I've ever seen.
>>
>>339092186
Metal Gear 2 is a fantastic game though.

Shitters on here would complain to hell and back about how much MGS1 rips off MG2 if any of them actually played it lmao
>>
>>339092186
You don't need MG1 or MG2 to understand MGS1, but there's no reason to skip them since they add to the experience.
>>
It was ok, didn't like it as much as the real console games
>>
>>339092239
Almost as cringy as using the term cringy.
>>
>>339092074
>It's gameplay to hear a small detail because you were too slow/bad

Just stop. Please stop. You are reaching so hard it hurts.

>>339092185
Epic strawman, my man. Also, I always used the horse so I could cut down on artificial game lengthening travel times. Even if we do pretend I did that and you're not a fucking retard, why would you complain that someone is playing the game how they want to play it? You V defenders masturbate over the sandbox gameplay, but if someone plays it in a different way then aljkdfjlasdjfas No, just no. I can't believe I share a board with people as dumb as you. How do you breathe? Are you underage?

As a side note, I perfect stealthed through most of the missions.
>>
>>339092239
>le cringe xDDD
>>
It is really good, but for fuck's sakes I would be lying if I didn't say that I HATED the controls on the PSP version. Play it on the HD collection if you want to enjoy it.
>>
File: 1447224314888.jpg (93 KB, 700x404) Image search: [Google]
1447224314888.jpg
93 KB, 700x404
>>339092796
>Clawed on my PSP for hundreds if not a thousand hours for various MHs
>Wonder how PW would control
>See "Hunter Style"
>>
File: 1437362755725.jpg (21 KB, 213x194) Image search: [Google]
1437362755725.jpg
21 KB, 213x194
>>339092608
>>339092670
>Hey newfags you want to play some fuckin awesomely awesome vidya?
Are you people really going to defend it?
>>
>>339093420
I don't need to love the image to dislike your response.

omg did anyone else totes cringe XD
>>
>>339093420
>which games do i buy
>these ones

>motherfucker
CRINGE.JPEG
>>
>>339093617
haha i know its amazeballs how hard i cringed, cringe city population me
>>
>>339082660
The tailing is cool at first but gets boring fast.
If you slap on any face camo you can just walk around without the PMCs caring about you, and all you're doing is waiting for the guy to walk to the place.
>>
>>339091748
I never played ground zeroes because it was just gonna be some demo of phantom pain.

Is it really that different from V?

I don't care anymore, I wanna taste the lies.
>>
>>339094285
Ground zeroes is a clunkier version of MGS5 gameplay but the level design is really good.

People telling you it's way better are just being stupid.
>>
I liked MGSV when I accepted that I was being a child for disliking the story for not being what I had wanted

I'm convinced this is the root of most of its derision elsewhere too
>>
I definitely had more fun with PW but the story is awful just like in V.
The irony is that the gameplay of V shits on PW's but it's still more boring because 90% of the main/side missions are terrible.
>>
>>339091898
Weren't those ones housed in the victim's lungs. Her crispy lungs wouldn't have been able sustain them. Would they have just died?
Actually, how would vocal cord parasites react to skin parasites?
Quiet's okay.
>>
>>339095565
>I'm a millenial that forms his opinions from whatever next website he stumbles upon; in my case /v/

Goodspeed, bro
>>
>>339097063
don't be silly anon

if that were the case for me I'd hate MGSV like the rest of /v/
>>
File: Lightbox_1339390059900.jpg (1017 KB, 1632x916) Image search: [Google]
Lightbox_1339390059900.jpg
1017 KB, 1632x916
>>339079243
Yes, it's amazing, but only if you play it on it's native system
>>
>>339079243
Peace Walker
>Best game
no
>Worst game
probably?
>Worth playing
definitely
Thread replies: 140
Thread images: 19

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.