[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Age of Empires 2
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 4
File: Screen_mainn.jpg (537 KB, 1298x831) Image search: [Google]
Screen_mainn.jpg
537 KB, 1298x831
I miss the old school RTS genre

Does anyone here play AoE2 HD on Steam? Is it worth buying?

I haven't found one new RTS game I like, including SC2.
>>
I'll have you know my predecessors were royalty at some point
>>
>Is it worth buying?
no

funfact: aoe3 is better than aom
>>
File: 1448957237359.jpg (772 KB, 5000x5000) Image search: [Google]
1448957237359.jpg
772 KB, 5000x5000
>>339055193
>AoE 3
>AoM

Both are meme tier, bro. AoE 2 is a fucking classic. It's the most played AoE game to this day for a reason.
>>
>>339055193
>>339055280
delet

I liked AoM more than AoEII, not even being contrarian.
>>
>>339055193
btw with no i mean if you have/can get the original, otherwise you can give it a try. i played it 3/4 year after the release, and it had much worse performance than original game even with a hd mod. and they hadn't add anything worth a shit.
>>
Ive been playing a little bit of AoE2 recently. I am trying to git gud at castle rushing for beginner pvp and its hard as fuck.
>>
>>339056330
>I am trying to git gud at castle rushing for beginner pvp and its hard as fuck.

Basically the same problem with any RTS, noobs can't sit down and learn to deal with rush, which makes the game frustratingly difficult, so they give up and leave to play MOBAs instead so they can blame 4 other fuckheads for their incompetence.

This is why the RTS genre died.
>>
>>339055280

can't stand the Building cap in AoE3. Ruined the whole game for me
>>
I love AOE II and rts games in general, but I've never been able to win a game that isn't on black forest.

I turtle too much, and rush too little.
>>
I dislike how little difference there is between factions in AoE2.
Age of Mythology goes too far in the amount of differences but I like Star Wars Galactic Battlegrounds which is pretty much a star wars reskin of AoE2 it gives each faction different looking models for each unit.
>>
>>339057417
There's plenty of differences, just doesn't seem that way because the lack of reskins.
>>
>>339057578
What differences? All I remember are no access to some units, a unique unit and research and no access to some research.
>>
You could play on Voobly (although their mods are fags). I believe that's where all the real competitive players are.
>>
>>339054848
play WC3 TFT endless replay-ability online
>>
>>339054848
I miss the good old days playing this game but holy fuck how lazy can a HD remake be.
>>
>>339058395

They've added like 2 expansions now.
>>
>>339057828
all of them had certain perks. if you go in the tech trees, look at the list on the left.
>>
are the campaigns worth doing? I think I've never did all of them.

Or should I just do random custom games and mess around in the editor.
>>
>>339058456
>African kingdoms
>African architecture
>All units are still white and look just like their European counterparts

They should've at least changed the unit models for different regions, home slice.
>>
>>339058713
implying that there were blacks worth fighting in africa.
>>
>>339055193
Aoe2 = Aoe3
And no, I'm not memeing, they succesfully got rid of the slow early build while keeping it interesting and pro matches usually end up before 10 min.
>>
>>339058618
I fucking love the El Cid and Aztec campaigns. Haven't played any of the new expansion campaigns, though.
>>
>>339058618
I like the Original campaigns. Haven't really played the newer expansion ones.
>>
>>339057417
>Age of Mythology goes too far in the amount of difference
I actually really liked that. Each faction had a very different play-style and feel.
>>
>>339058618
I've played them, they're quite enjoyable.
great improvement since the Forgotten campaigns where they had it all messed up and still didn't patched it.
>>
It still has a lot of players across voobly, gameranger, steam etc

The Steam version still has sync errors and disconnect issues, they actually made the netcode worse somehow
>>
>>339058395
It's less lazy than the AoM HD remake. At least AoEII got two solid expansions, overhauled graphics and is actually playable, whereas AoM got a very mediocre expansion, a new lightning system that somehow looks worse and is unstable beyond belief.
>>
>>339058864
kek
>>
>>339058618
The Campaigns of the original and The Conquerors are excellent.
The Forgotten Campaigns are pretty comfy and certainly worth playing if you like the game, but can feel amateurish.
The African Kingdoms has some nice campaigns that felt a bit bland, but are otherwise enjoyable and a step up from the Forgotten.
>>
I got my gf into AoE 2 since Star Wars Galactic Battlegrounds isn't patched correctly for Windows 10 yet.
>>
File: age-of-empires-2-hd-009.jpg (150 KB, 586x366) Image search: [Google]
age-of-empires-2-hd-009.jpg
150 KB, 586x366
>>339054848
I hate how HD only means that the game is fucking zoomed out so you can see more pixels.

It's so not comfy playing it like some total war game
>>
>>339059397
>overhauled graphic
?
>>
>>339059838
That mostly referred to the textures of terrain and water.
>>
I just wish multiplayer on steam wasn't so dead.
>>
>>339060161
that already existed.
>>
>>339060261
Fair point.
>>
>>339056450
maybe they shouldn't be so boring and unbalanced then.
>>
>>339054848
Supreme Commander Forged Alliance. It's amazing. If you want to play multiplayer you will have to download the Forged Alliance Forever cliant.
>>
>>339057417
man, i played the shit out of galactic battlegrounds for the exact same reasons you said. It was almost literally a reskin but still a lot of fun.
Been playing aoe2 again and was just reminded how much i missed galactic battlegrounds. Both are still really good for lan stuff if anyone ever still gets 5 or 6 buddies together to dork out, tho I haven't played a bunch of the newer RTS games so maybe those are just as fun.
>>
>>339061920
I tried hard to get into supcom but never was big into mechs. All my friends swear by it tho so I have a feeling the problem is me and that I'm a faggot.
>>
>>339062364
Hmmmm. Have you tried total war?
Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.