[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
why do people complain about Morrowind's combat system?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 87
File: tumblr_n2rj10xg2m1si01xjo2_400.png (239 KB, 377x413) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_n2rj10xg2m1si01xjo2_400.png
239 KB, 377x413
why do people complain about Morrowind's combat system?

What is so bad about it?

Yeah it's based upon stats and chance, but so are lots of RPGs. Somebody redpill me
>>
>>339032339
Because people are idiots.

They put no points into long sword combat and then try and hit things with a longsword and cry about how nothing is dying.
>>
People also forget about (upgrading) their stamina. With zero stamina you can't hit for shit.
>>
its literally only people whos first western rpg of any kind was oblivion who say that desu
>>
>>339032458
>>339032596
/thread
>>
>>339033219
literally my buddy.
Wanna join mocking him ?
>>
>>339032339
It just doesn't really suit a first-person real-time game, I found.
>>
>>339032339
>What is so bad about it?
spam M1 til enemy goes bye bye
literally all you can do, blocking is auto and power swings are the same as the other games.

melee characters in MW suck ass. you will be pretty much unkillable and master of the land at level 10. by then your a master in your weapon type and probably have a daedric weapon, that is if you ever bothered to actually explore and fight whatever you could along the way.

magic is where it's at, you can do so much more and it's actually fun. not just spamming M1 to bonk enemies on the head to death.
>>
I think it mostly just has to do with it being a first person game. It rubs people the wrong way when they can see that they clearly should have hit the enemy but they missed because of a dice roll behind the scenes. People expect that sort of thing in a turn based game or an isometric RPG, not so much in first person.
>>
>>339033510

>Magic in Morrowind

>Level 1
>I put on my robe and wizard hat
>A level 2 bandit rogue shanks me in the ass and i die

>level 3 and beyond
>I drink 368 potions of intelligence and one shot the entire town of Balmora with a custom 1000 radius fireball.
>>
>>339033848
So because you kids use exploits it means the game is bad ?

Stop fucking abusing and RP
>>
>Muh levitation and alteration up to 1000
>>
>>339033848
I used to do that exact shit, I can't stop fucking laughing
>>
>>339032339
>Miss Miss Miss
Because dipshits expect it to be an action game and don't bother to understand the actual combat mechanics and get mad when they can't hit anything. Not trying to defend the combat though. It isn't that great but it doesn't make the game unplayable.
>>
>>339034029

>Using game mechanics to have fun is an exploit

Fuck off Skyrimbaby, not my fault you shit yourself everytime you see a number in an rpg.
>>
it's much too close to being a direct translation of its dicerolling origins rather than having actual gameplay that profits from being a video game
>>
>>339034451
Are you retarded or something ?

Abusing a clearly broken system and then complaining that the game is easy is ok with you ?

I don't know about you faggot but i finished the game 4 times and i never once abused potions for infinite mana and int
>>
>>339034403
Yeah, there isn't really much interesting about the combat system as it is. The thing with Morrowind is that it doesn't focus on combat that heavily to begin with. Most of your time is spent traveling, talking to people and exploring towns, which makes the dull combat bearable.
Skyrim, meanwhile, has you go into dungeons to fight draugr for every other quest. A lot more time is spent fighting, only the combat system is still almost as fucking boring.
>>
To make bait webms
>>
>>339033491
This.
It needs more markers, auto targeting, movement assist, and NOOKS
>>
It's an excellent detector for people who never touched an actual RPG.
>>
Because Morrowind is incredibly stiff in its controls so combat generally boils down to spamming M1, meaning there's none of the tactical thought involved in a decent stat-based RPG.

It's decently fun to play around with your stats and customize your character, but as soon as you take that character into combat there's no depth whatsoever.
>>
>>339034758
I've played Fallout to completion twice and I think this game is shit.
>>
>>339034856
Good thing that we are talking about people who could solve the combat system.
>>
>>339035017
*couldn't
>>
>>339034660
>To make bait webms
This, but on the upside, if you start a thread with them it always survives because guaranteed replies
>>
File: CXAWJKtWMAAD00Z.jpg (39 KB, 480x640) Image search: [Google]
CXAWJKtWMAAD00Z.jpg
39 KB, 480x640
>>339033395

why mock when you can enlighten
>>
>>339034603

me either I got flamed for saying you may as well console your speed, strength etc to max than exploit the system and swig a never ending potion that does exactly that.

No difference in my eyes..
>>
>>339032339
There are two main problems people have with the Morrowind combat system. One is superficial and irrelevant, but it's the more common complaint - the other is legitimate issue that most people however don't have.

The superficial problem that really breaks things for most modern-era player is the fact that a lot of the aspects of the combat is abstracted and isn't clearly communicated, which in a first person game is just completely baffling for modern generation of players. It's the fact a sword can "miss" even if you see it swinging in the direction of enemy, even thought the game does not play some kind of fancy animation showing the enemy doing a dodge move or something.
The fact that the combat is fairly abstract in combination of a very "present" first person perspective is just something most people today can't work their heads around.

The other problem, much less commonly voiced, but far more relevant, is that the combat lacks any greater depth. It wasn't supposed to, actually. The original model (which you can still experience if you go to settings and turn of "always use best attack" option) had you deciding the type of an attack by your move pattern. Attacking while stepping forward, for an example, resulted in a stabbing attack. Utilizing the right move set to take advantage of the weapon strength was then supposed to be the root of the melee combat challenge.
However, this system quickly proved to be more frustrating than fun, and eventually, the developers circumvented it entirely with a patch that simply turned "always use best attack" option on by default. The problem is: with that option, there really isn't any actual tactical depth to the melee combat besides stamina management: that is actually a legitimate complaint.
>>
File: boethiah.png (2 MB, 1280x1698) Image search: [Google]
boethiah.png
2 MB, 1280x1698
>>339034563
This is really the only sensible response.
>>
It's first person so most people expect combat to work like melee weapons in FPS's.
>>
>>339032339
>>339032458
>>339032596
>>339033219
>>339034403
>>339034758
>>339035017
>>339035782

No.
The real answer is that in a real 3D RPG like Oblivion the points you invest in skills and strengths actually matters in combat. And your proficiency with a weapon actually depends on player skill rather than a dice-roll system which requires zero thought to utilise efficiently. The problem with Morrowind is that people think "real combat" is your sword phasing through the enemy as if they're spectral. It doesn't happen. People who suck Morrowind's cock generally have never actually wielded a sword before. Thing is, no matter how inexperienced you are with a blade, swinging it at someone and making an impact will injure them to an extent, however low. It does not have an imaginary cut off point where you just can't hit them and they turn into ghosts.
>>
It does feel like a leftover from when the games where dungeon crawlers and that kind of combat worked well. It would have been a lot better if they added actual blocking too.
>>
File: Capture.jpg (92 KB, 790x835) Image search: [Google]
Capture.jpg
92 KB, 790x835
oh shit another morrowind thread
>>
>>339036076
>swing a sword mildly at someone wearing full plate
Oh, Divines, the gore
>>
>>339036076

>player skill
>hacking and slashing away forever at seemingly invincible enemies.

the fact that you can't just pick up and use any weapon like you can in oblivion makes it better in terms of stats
>>
>>339036304

>medium and heavy armour both majored.

This HAS to be bait...
>>
>>339036304
>Orc
>He's been using Heavy Armour instead of the clearly superior Medium, even though Orcish is medium
You trigger me every time, sera
>>
>>339036076
>swinging it at someone and making an impact will injure them to an extent, however low.
You LITERALLY proved us right: you, like so many other retards have been literally unable to comprehend that you hits don't CONNECT unless the enemy player plays a stagger animation in Morrowind. You are not hitting your enemy. You swing in his direction, but not every swing in enemy direction means that you actually manage to hit him. Morrowind, due to the technical limitations could not play complex and elaborate animations showing the enemy narrowly dodging your hit (you are supposed to fill the gaps in yourself), but the fucking point is that the representation of your sword, it's swing, and your enemy position and reaction are ABSTRACTED, approximate, not a direct 1to1 representation of where exactly everything is.

It's funny how people actually spelled that out for you, yet you are dumb enough to insult others and even make a completely asinine claim about "people who had never wielded sword", as if that was of ANY. FUCKING. RELEVANCE.

In Morrowind, unless you see a small spurt of blood and a stagger animation on your enemy, you had not touched him with your weapon. It's as simple as that.
>>
>>339036405
believe me, it's not
it's my first character ever
>>
>>339032339
It's fucking boring and bland. Blocking is automatic, you can't hit shit even if it's in front of you. Why not make it so you have different animations for different skill levels to at least explain how you are fucking missing some faggot in a robe directly in front of your face?

It's okey at best once you level up. But it's a really shitty fucking first person game and the combat is inexcusable.
>>
>>339036304
savage
>>
>>339036304
>>339036473
>all those spells you can't cast
Eventually you should just go blow some gold on training.
>>
>>339036076
Ehy do you care about realism? Oblivion and Skyrim are unrealistic as fuck in their own ways and both are incredibly shallow in terms of combat. What do you mean by "player skill" when all you do with sword and board is left click and right click when the enemies left click?

Morrowind's system isn't meant for realism it's meant to balance the non levelled loot system so you can't grab a deadric weapon from that cave you memorized then proceed to hit everything every time. It's also balanced around DPS, which works essentially like Skyrim and oblivion where you swing repeatedly and do littkr damage per swing in favor of repeated swings that often miss but do more damage per hit overall. Both are not ideal.
>>
>>339036629
yea I will soon, still have my 18k saved up
>>
>>339036462
>Could not elaborate animations showing the enemy narrowly dodging your hit
I suppose I was meant to "Imagine" the enemy right in my face while swinging a warhammer dodging every attack I make with a dagger then?
"Use your imagination". Fuck off, you want to say Morrowind has good combat when it uses a dice-roll system in a 3D game? You can't even block if you want to because the game also uses a dice-roll system for something as simple as that.
The enemy doesn't need to dodge an attack, they didn't do it in any TES game after either. All they need to do is actually appear to be physical at all times and not when the game feels like it.
>>
File: MGE Screenshot 131.png (2 MB, 1440x900) Image search: [Google]
MGE Screenshot 131.png
2 MB, 1440x900
sup cucks
>>
>>339036462
>You swing in his direction, but not every swing in enemy direction means that you actually manage to hit him. Morrowind, due to the technical limitations could not play complex and elaborate animations showing the enemy narrowly dodging your hit (you are supposed to fill the gaps in yourself), but the fucking point is that the representation of your sword, it's swing, and your enemy position and reaction are ABSTRACTED, approximate, not a direct 1to1 representation of where exactly everything is.
You expect imagination from a generation of people fixated on "realism, logic and utilitarianism".
>>
File: 1443722828587.png (78 KB, 249x250) Image search: [Google]
1443722828587.png
78 KB, 249x250
>>339036462
>ABSTRACTED
>>
>>339036837
sexy desu
>>
>>339032339
I think the combat itself is ok but since you consume stamina by not moving at snails pace and need it to hit it's just boring since either moving or fighting has to take forever.
>>
>>339036762
>>339036862
'muh realism' fags get out

>>339036837
Can't imagine what that stutter's like.
>>
>>339036762
And I'm supposed to imagine the average goon can take dozens of sword strikes to the face and live? I like how you implying spongy enemies is an eloquent solution and that the industry has actually advanced outside of Morrowind to make such a thing possible.
>>
File: 1424286538557.jpg (100 KB, 854x640) Image search: [Google]
1424286538557.jpg
100 KB, 854x640
>>339036837
>spouting meme words that you don't even know the meaning of
>>
>>339036304
>>339036614
>Luck 40
>>
>>339036076
You're a fucking moron.
>>
For anyone interested in raking in a shit ton of gold without actually cheating, here's a way:

>Acquire a piece of ordinator armor. I believe you can actually find some on a corpse somewhere

>Wear said ordinator armor in Vivec

>Guards from now on will be hostile and attack you first, allowing you to kill them without becoming criminal scum

>Take all their armor and use mark/recall to port to the talking mudcrab

>Sell the armor, make bank

I used to do this on the Xbox version when I had the game then. Morrowind and the original Diablo were the two games that turned me from consoles to PC.
>>
>>339036762
>I suppose I was meant to "Imagine" the enemy right in my face while swinging a warhammer dodging every attack I make with a dagger then?
Yes, that is exactly what you were supposed to do. If you weren't a spoiled millennial brat, you would never find that suggestion in any way odd, because really, that is what you are supposed to do with more than half of the actual interactions in most games prior to 2007, before they eventually threw such expectations in the air because the Halo generation was braindead and therefore more easily exploited for pocket money.

>All they need to do is actually appear to be physical at all times and not when the game feels like it.
Physically and technically impossible at the time in a game of this type. I'd absolutely HATE to see you playing any of the old first person RPG's that Morrowind was a successor to, like Might and Magic or Wizardry or some shit. I think they would give you a fucking stroke.
>>
>>339036882
But food is everywhere, so you can make stamina regen potions by the bucketload. Just chug a couple and you are back to fighting at top capacity.
>>
>>339036862
>ABSTRACTED
What is up with the faggots here who think they can quote someones post and add a stupid image to it and actually think they made an argument?

>>339036839
People we are dealing with here don't understand any of those concepts either. They are just braindead.
>>
File: Three Gods, One True Faith.jpg (911 KB, 5990x3000) Image search: [Google]
Three Gods, One True Faith.jpg
911 KB, 5990x3000
>>339036882
>don't rush blindly into fights
>use something to restore fatigue
Wow, hard.

>>339036967
Heretic scum!
>>
File: 1436993253773.gif (724 KB, 267x150) Image search: [Google]
1436993253773.gif
724 KB, 267x150
>>339036839
>You expect imagination from a generation of people fixated on "realism, logic and utilitarianism".
Literally spamming the attack button as fast as you can to see your swings never hit anyone even though your weapon three dimentionally do. For a game that makes an effort to visualize so many things it's funny that weapons is absolutely pathetic and blocking actually has an animation.

>>339036901
>'muh realism' fags get out
It's not even about realism, noone's saying it's realistic since it obviously isn't.

It just looks fucking retarded and plays outdated as all hell.

>>339036984
Good lord, every Morrowind thread. It's always a fucking faggot who complains about m-muh millennials and cries about what a goddamn masterpiece the game is. What game does 3D and asks the player to IMAGINE the NPC dodging or moving out of the way? Might & Magic with the exception of DM is not a good example because these are completely different games. Call me lazy and call me a millennial but it's hilariously pathetic to imagine you thinking that what's happening is some epic battle when you're just spamming left click and doing dice rolls with the occasional potion in your inventory so you can survive.
>>
>>339037070
>What is up with the faggots here
lurk more

>They are just braindead.
What's with every morrowind thread every. single. complaint. is thrown away as being made by either milennials or dumb fucks?
>>
Can we not forget that Morrowind is an RPG and not an action game, so to an extent things sre based on the game engine morr than player skill or ability? Can we please remember what the word rpg meant before everything became action "rpg"? Do people complain about FF6 having abstracted combat? I mean misses in that game do the same thing as morrowind where you see the swing but there's no hit indicator.
>>
>>339036984
>Millennial
I should probably ignore the rest of your comment for that alone, unless you're about 40 years old, in which I doubt. Thing is when you create a game, you're supposed to make it translate well into its genre, same with the combat system. If it directly contradicts its combat system then it doesn't have good gameplay. You can whine about Halo all you want when you got a headshot with a sniper, the game doesn't roll a dice to decide if you hit it or not. If luck decides a games combat system then it isn't acceptable. Oblivion had spongy enemies but you could avoid their attacks due to the advanced movement system and try and encircle them. Morrowind essentially forces you into a proto-turn based combat system where you exchange hits with an enemy while you stand still and hope you hit them.
>>
>>339036634
except you could, the ebony mine near balmora had a sidequest where if you went in it then went to st.olm's canton in vivec in the haunted mansion at the top, the hllallu guy gave you a daedric weapon of your choice, one for each weapon type.
makes the combat way less tedious so you could do the actgually interesting stuff, althought a build with low strenght can't carry much anything else with it
>>
File: HERESY.png (2 MB, 1761x989) Image search: [Google]
HERESY.png
2 MB, 1761x989
>>339037101
>defending Morrowind and worships filthy xenos
That proves it. Morrowind is both shit AND heretical.
>>
>>339037239
>Makes an effort to visualize so many things
Lots of simple things like alchemy, drinking eating/, enchanting, training, repairing, magic effects,etc. Are all abstracted into menus, they never wanted to visualize that much.
>>
>>339037239
>to see your swings never hit anyone even though your weapon three dimentionally do
No, it doesn't. Unless they stagger or spurt blood it's a miss.

Name a game from the same gaming era, of a similar scope and depth, that had complicated combat animations and realistic representation of wounds. Morrowind is almost 15 years old, ffs.
>>
>>339037239
>What game does 3D and asks the player to IMAGINE the NPC dodging or moving out of the way?
Again, every 3D RPG prior to Oblivion, most other games prior to 2002 or so. The fact that you don't know and complain about what was an undeniable, objective limitation of the hardware and software possibilities of the time may be the fucking reason why you get constantly called on being a spoiled, brain-dead, lazy millennial cunt.
YOU have a problem because YOU can't wrap your head around an interaction that actually requires a degree of cooperation on your side. That is not bad design, a fault of the game or the developer. You literally lack an ability that to other people came completely natural and enabled them to enjoy games with considerable more depth, better narrative and lasting appeal than the shit you praise.

This is YOUR fucking shortcoming. YOU are at fault here, nobody else. So fuck off and stop pestering these threads, since you clearly have been said the same thing many times and you still can't wrap your head around it: just give up, fuck off, go play whatever shit you enjoy.
>>
>>339037046
making you own stam pots means you can just take one every few minute and you'd never run out of stam because it's regenerated as you spend it, as long as you're just running
>>
Nice hiding spot Fargoth

Pshhhhhhh nothin personell
>>
>>339037395
You can but your effectiveness is nerded by weapon skill. And that balance is only secondary to the primary thing being limiting your dpm through chance which when average out hit percentsge accomplished the same thing as pumping up rnrmy health to absurd values and letting you hit every time.
>>
Combat goes like this
Lvl
1 - 10 piss poor combat
10- 20 sweet spot
20+ piss easy.

Depending on how much you meta game YMMV.
Shitty progression is shitty.
>>
>>339037390
See >>339037506 Because the same still applies. It's not that the system is self-contradictory, it's that it requires you to make a step that you are unable off because you are literally braindead. The game provides you with all the informations necessary, and with the logic and ruleset of the interaction clearly laid out.
YOU expect a different, much more simpler way of communicating, and you are throwing a hissyfit because your unwarranted expectations aren't validated. The game is not contradicting itself: it's contradicting expectations you had which were in no way justified: ones that you grew to expect because you were raised in an entirely different and much dumber generation of games.
>>
File: Masterrace.jpg (143 KB, 640x997) Image search: [Google]
Masterrace.jpg
143 KB, 640x997
>>339037419
>40Kfag
How am I not surprised?
>>
File: Morrowind.webm (3 MB, 1000x563) Image search: [Google]
Morrowind.webm
3 MB, 1000x563
>>339032339
Might be because it's legitimately shit. Morrowcucks will defend this.
>>
File: 0.jpg (22 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
0.jpg
22 KB, 480x360
>>339037471
I'd not even want something that boring to be visualized. Sitting down to brew potions only to close the menu to check what I have and so on, having constant animations for the simplest thing is a chore. Doesn't apply for combat since I'll be constantly focused.

>>339037481
Look that's the thing. I don't blame it since Morrowind's a big game but fucking hell the combat is not good.

>>339037506
Go cry more you dried up old fucking fart. The most pathetic fucking people on this website aren't the neets or neckbeards but sad fags like you who cry like a fucking 70 year old about m-muh youngester ruining m-muh games. Kill yourself. I can swing an axe at some shop keeper's face and miss her even though it clearly hits on screen. It looks so lazy and cheap and it's not any more deep than Skyrim where you have to mash the attack button. The only difference, really, in Morrowind, is the stat allocation is more complicated. For fuck's sake, even the blocking is automated in Morrowind nigger.

But no it's my shortcoming for according to you, not being le creative man and imagining it in my head like as if I was fucking 12. What the actual fuck, and that's a shortcoming.

Look faggot it's fine to like Morrowind but people like you get so defensive over it it's absolute ridiculous. Every Morrowind thread.
>>
File: laugh13.gif (168 KB, 375x375) Image search: [Google]
laugh13.gif
168 KB, 375x375
>>339037981
>that helpless flailing with the sword
>>
>>339037981
a) 68 skill does not guarantee 100% hits, I hope that's obvious
b) the "classes" in this game do not grant any benefits outside of sheer convenience of having skills already grouped for the player, it's not like a "warrior" has automatically a better chance at hitting something by virtue of being a "warrior" alone
c) the NPC shop owners have (usually) high combat skills so that players don't break the game early on, the same goes for guards; literally every RPG does this
>>
>>339037773
No, you replied to someone else, I'm not wasting more time telling you Morrowind has a defunct, inoperable combat system.
The game suffers from a combat system that leaves you reloading saves until you do hit at early levels and amping difficulty up at high levels because you destroy everything otherwise.
No repeating the same comment about "dumbing down" games achieves nothing. Would you prefer Oblivion's combat was Morrowind instead? Would you prefer the game decide how a battle will turn out on a whim?

It's not Pokemon, it's an open world 3D RPG with what should be intuitive combat. If you have no excuses for Morrowind's combat other than "other unknown RPG's did it" and "I'm going to assume you're a millennial" then why bother defending it?
>>
File: 1460299608266.jpg (209 KB, 1280x931) Image search: [Google]
1460299608266.jpg
209 KB, 1280x931
>>339037981
>clearly modded game
>using the term 'cuck'
People like you deserve only death.

>>339038015
>Doesn't apply for combat since I'll be constantly focused.
Why not for drinking potions in combat, then? Using enchanted items?
>>
>>339037981
Man, you're bad at this very basic and old rpg
>>
File: morrowind.png (179 KB, 639x799) Image search: [Google]
morrowind.png
179 KB, 639x799
>>339032339
They approach the game as an action game instead of an RPG.
>>
>>339038290
>Why not for drinking potions in combat, then? Using enchanted items?
I'd like that for games like this but it has to be in the design process from the get-go so it actually fits to spend two seconds of still animation where I'm open to danger.

The thing about combat animations is that, well ... a drinking animation isn't nearly as important as combat animations, considering the sheer time you'll spend LMB spamming. Some things have higher priority and should have.
>>
File: MGE Screenshot 066.png (1 MB, 1440x900) Image search: [Google]
MGE Screenshot 066.png
1 MB, 1440x900
>>339036901
>Can't imagine what that stutter's like.

I doesn't stutter at all and my PC isn't really the newest.

Really, I'd recommend downloading Overhaul 3.0 and seeing for yourself. The whole thing even installs itself (takes control of mouse and keyboard for during the installation), so you literally can not fuck it up.
>>
File: 1413611055135.jpg (55 KB, 500x283) Image search: [Google]
1413611055135.jpg
55 KB, 500x283
>>339037981
You know what is really funny. In order to make this bait shit he has understand Morrowind's combat system so he knows how the game works yet he's still shiposting. Truly amazing.
>>
Because it's a first-person real time RPG.
You swing the weapon, it obviously makes contact with the enemy and you miss. It's not like JRPGs or cRPGs or even first-person turn-based RPGs where you have an obvious disconnect between animation and outcome. Here you're in the point of view of the character and you're hitting the damn thing, but nothing happens.
>>
>>339036908
Regarding Oblivion though.... I always hear people say "spongy"enemies but the lower level stuff was pretty easy to kill. I guess people were that bad at the game.

But when people are whining about not being able to one-shot a fucking Dremora Valkynaz-Mehrunes Dagon's personal "royal guard" that wear full daedric,sometimes even carry a paralize posion and can cast reflect spell.....yea no. Unless with a specific build you're not killing those by 1 shotting them.
>>
>>339037506
>most other games prior to 2002 or so
>objective limitation of the hardware and software possibilities

Ehhh, the Bouncer and Dynasty Warriors 2 came out in 2000. Maybe if you were talking 5th generation games, I'd understand. Even then, PS1 had games like Tenchu and Fighting Force. Sure these games don't have the same scale as Morrowind, but 3D action combat wasn't at its infancy in 2002.
>>
File: drive.gif (973 KB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
drive.gif
973 KB, 500x281
>>339036076
>People who suck Morrowind's cock generally have never actually wielded a sword before.
>>
>>339038542
Spongy enemies are boring to fight. Like in Skyrim, Morrowind, Oblivion, all three do this shit where enemies have to much HP or take too many hits to go down. Because none of these games have actual finesse in their combat, it's extremely easy to land a hit. Morrowind counters this by having complete RNG to fuck you over, or it can make you absurdly overpowered.

Back on point, spongy enemies are ones that you can keep hitting and they don't die. They absorb attacks like fucking nothing. 200 arrows to the face and they still want victory or sovengarde. baka senpai
>>
>>339037320
The difference being that you can manually move your character around in Morrowind, so it gives you this illusion that you have complete control of your character when it comes to the action, when is probably where this whole problem stems from.
>>
>>339038626
>3D action combat wasn't at its infancy in 2002
Great, what has "3D action combat" to do with Morrowind? Because outside of it being 3D I don't see any parallels. The Bouncer and Tenchu have fuckall to do with Morrowind, one is a mediocre beat'em-up, the other is an arcade'ish stealth game.
>>
File: MGE Screenshot 007.png (2 MB, 1440x900) Image search: [Google]
MGE Screenshot 007.png
2 MB, 1440x900
>>339037516
>tfw every new game I have to wait until this slow ass faggot SNEAKS to the dumb tree stump to hide the shitty ring

My autism demands that I leave no unfinished quests laying around all over the place, but I'm really contemplating on just ignoring him and coming back later to kill both him and Hrisskar.

Fuck those pointless quests that just clog up my journal
>>
>>339038250
>The game suffers from a combat system that leaves you reloading saves until you do hit at early levels and amping difficulty up at high levels because you destroy everything otherwise.
Unless you don't have a weapon skill as a class skill or you already have the difficulty turned up really high, this shouldn't be happening.

>>339038464
I agree with you, but it's really just a question of demarcation. Would it have been nice to have those animations included if they didn't pursue a system like Oblivion's? Of course, but just because they don't doesn't mean the combat system is hopeless; it's simply not as good as it could have been.

>>339038542
Go look at weapon damage scaling compared to creature health on the wiki.
>>
>>339038810
Guy says

>What game does 3D and asks the player to IMAGINE the NPC dodging or moving out of the way?

You say it's because it's because of limitations of the time

I say bullshit, because other games older than Morrowind doesn't require you to imagine anything about the combat.
>>
>playing SNES JRPG
>wtf my guys swords aren't touching the enemies when I attack am I supposed to pretend they are hitting?
>shit combat. garbage game. lazy developers should have made it more realistic so I don't have to use my brain
>>
>>339034846
>but as soon as you take that character into combat there's no depth whatsoever.
Unless you play a mage. Incredible level of depth in magic past early game. I always go for Breton pure mage because of that.
>>
File: 1436404934066.jpg (36 KB, 346x406) Image search: [Google]
1436404934066.jpg
36 KB, 346x406
>>339039079
>comparing a SNES JRPG with a first person RPG where you can very close up see where the sword is hitting in detail
>>
>>339039186
What intricacies are there to it? Seems to be just use spell buffs for armour and shit and then just, you know, spam attack and magicka potions.
>>
>>339038015
>Go cry more you dried up old fucking fart
Yeah, I think this pretty much sums up the level of debate you are ultimately capable off. Screaming at other people that they are old farts because oh my god, they can enjoy wider variety of titles and have more complex understanding of the genre. Nothing more terrible than reminding you of your own short coming and disability, I guess.

It is your shortcoming. It's like if you were unable to enjoy a book without illustration. You need a more simple, direct channel of communication: if things aren't explicit, simply, extremely straight forward, it's terrible lazy shit.

If you were't such a spoiled insecure cunt, you would have noticed in my earlier post that I actually stated that the system has very objective and valid flaws. It's just that the specific thing you are complaining is not valid: it's a problem on the user end. Lack of variety, overt automatization are valid complaints about the system:
The lack of one-to-one representation of the melee attack act is not. That is purely your problem.

>>339038250
Actually, if you are left with reloading saves until a hit registers, you clearly had completely failed to understand the basic systems. You won't be missing more than 30-40% of time even in early game if you as much as play the game right, that is using a weapon you have sufficient skill with and managing your stamina right.

>Would you prefer Oblivion's combat was Morrowind instead?
Oblivion's combat is equally as bad as Morrowinds: it would change nothing to me. However, there is no "whim" here - Morrowind system of hit detection is fairly rigid and entirely functional.

>It's not Pokemon, it's an open world 3D RPG with what should be intuitive combat.
A) TECHNICAL LIMITATIONS, and B) Why? Who decided that the combat has to be "intuitive" to you? It was entirely intuitive to me, by the way. You have no right to decide what level of fidelity is a cut-off point for what level of symbolization.
>>
>>339032339
is a first person game, so plebs think it should work like a modern action game

>redpill me
stop
>>
File: 1463408046830.jpg (23 KB, 312x316) Image search: [Google]
1463408046830.jpg
23 KB, 312x316
>>339038467
Shit, that's really nice. I was going to try it out, but saw a bunch of shit about people complaining about stutter.
Does Overhaul include any gameplay changes? I'll have to try it out, thanks for the assurance.

>>339038514
Free replies

>>339038862
>that name
qt Dunmer wizard masterrace
You are a man of good taste, serjo

>>339039391
>he doesn't fly through the air around his enemies at lightning speed hurling elemental spells at them
>>
>>339038626
Neither of which are complex, open world sandbox RPG's.

>I say bullshit, because other games older than Morrowind doesn't require you to imagine anything about the combat.
Are you retarded? Do you assume Red Alert was a shit game because it did not allow you to play it in first person, since there were first person games out there at the same time?
Are you people so insanely braindead, so insanely clueless about the reality of the industry that you think a linear beat-them-up and a massive open world sandbox RPG can be compared? There were plenty of great games that did exactly what Morrowind did at the time too: Deus Ex and System Shock come to mind.

You are complaining about the fact that you can't properly read the game's visual language because it's more symbolic that you are used to. And you are so fucking dumb to think providing examples of games so PROFOUNDLY different as a counterargument.

You people really are pathetic. It's beyond belief how pathetic you are. Literally the neediest, most lazy generation of all time.

"But I want it my way and anything that does not conform to my extremely limited capacities is WRONG!"
That is why people are pissed at you and your kind. You are selfish, selfcentered assholes who will always blame others for anything that is beyond their capacities. Fuck off.
>>
>retards that complain about Morrowind's combat will never know the satisfaction of having a powerful endgame character with 100% accuracy after struggling for hours through miss miss miss meme combat because they demand instant gratification from their video games
>>
Same reason everyone (normie) hated alpha protocol. It presents as an action game but is rolling dice/checking stats under the hood. People aim a gun and expect the bullets to go where they point, even if they're unskilled in it.

To bad that wasn't even what was wrong with the game. Would of been great if a sequel would of been made to fix all the broken shit. Game was a fucking blast
>>
File: 1463820465755.png (2 MB, 1454x969) Image search: [Google]
1463820465755.png
2 MB, 1454x969
>>339037981
How to make bait videos.
1) open console
2) click on npc
3) setagility 10000
>>
>>339038542
The problem with Oblivion is physical damage/weapons. If you up the difficulty slider even by say 20%. Weapons(unless enchanted) are literally useless.You actually can't kill anything with them.

Now magic on the other hand stays almost the same. When I went with pure destruction mage it definitely felt like I was playing a completely different game. Weakness stacking+1-2 spells is all you basically needed to kill anything. But it indeed becomes tricky when some enemies have resistances or spell absorbing effects.

In Oblivion it almost feels as though the game was made mostly for a magic oriented character. Only Illusion builds/Only Conjuration builds and so on,almost EVERY magic build is viable even at 100% difficulty as opposed to say warrior/weapon builds.

Well Skyrim did fix that by making magic useless so there's that too.
>>
Just accept that this game is fucking outdated trash
>fast travel is limited to cities and not places you already found
>combat is shit and only through magic can you actually have fun
>magic makes the game fun but can completely break the game
>early game is shit and takes too long,especially since you run super slow early
>have to actually be at a certain level to progress with quests.Like wtf its like they don't want you to experience everything unless you grind
>no quest marker so you have to read the very unreliable journal
>guards are too powerful
>stealth and ranged combat is boring
>lol your a beast race so you don't get shoes
Honestly it was good for its time guys but it's just shitty compared to more modern bethesda games
>>
File: H-HAYAI.jpg (27 KB, 636x636) Image search: [Google]
H-HAYAI.jpg
27 KB, 636x636
Started this the other day as a Redguard soldier.
Never had a problem missing in battle. When you're fighting things that aren't way out of your league, they'll hit and miss about as much as you do, assuming your build isn't just shit. My stamina lasts for days, and I really only get fucked by crazy ass mages and hordes of foes. I already noticed massive improvement before long.

I get that people meme about stamina and missing, but I didn't think they exaggerated that hard. The combat is perfectly fair & balanced.
>>
File: 1451204025652.jpg (90 KB, 800x452) Image search: [Google]
1451204025652.jpg
90 KB, 800x452
>>339039891
No. But thanks for bumping threads.
>>
>>339039891
fun
no
fun
>early game is shit and takes too long,especially since you run super slow early
yes
>have to actually be at a certain level to progress with quests.Like wtf its like they don't want you to experience everything unless you grind
fun
fun
>guards are too powerful
no
yes
fun
>>
>>339039891
Ok buddy
>>
File: MGE Screenshot 059.png (2 MB, 1440x900) Image search: [Google]
MGE Screenshot 059.png
2 MB, 1440x900
>>339039606
>Does Overhaul include any gameplay changes?

No, but it offers a range of minor gameplay improvements like a better camera position for 3rd person and things like that. There's a menu that let's you tick boxes for which gameplay improvements you want, what kind of grass density, which trees and water reflections and all that shit.

Come to think of it, the only gameplay change I use is the fair mana reg mod that gives you manareg based on willpower, like in Skyrim or Oblivion. But I think tesgeneral.com has guides for gameplay improvements as well.
>>
File: Masterrace.png (1 MB, 640x997) Image search: [Google]
Masterrace.png
1 MB, 640x997
>>339039797
Marobar Sul pls
Do you have that Azura-and-the-Box meme picture?

>>339039896
>Redguard
Glad you didn't get taken in by the meme. Mages will fuck you up at low levels, when they can deal most or all of your health with each spell, but it tends to even out as your health goes up because of how squishy they are.
What Birthsign did you pick?
>>
>>339039416
The first fort I went into, Hloramen or whatever it was called had some Orc fly at me. he had a petrifying dagger of some sorts. I had to fight him 6 times, 5 times I lost the battle of clicking the mouse. The 6th time I loaded I beat him. When the game relies on percentages to discern whether or not you hit the enemy isn't good enough. Sure the amount of damage you do is fine. Combat tactics allow you to avoid attacks or attempt to respond. Morrowind however forces you into a rigid spam-fest match where you have to hope the game gives you good chances. And since there's little to no cut off point between "weak as a mouse" and "King of the Gods" in your character the first levels are tedium. Dice roll combat is fine in Isometric or 2D games but not in open world, highly controllable worldspaces.

>Oblivion's combat is equally as bad as Morrowinds: it would change nothing to me. However, there is no "whim" here - Morrowind system of hit detection is fairly rigid and entirely functional.
Oblivions combat is floaty but that's about all the problems I have with it. Mechanically, when I die to an enemy, I feel as if it is my fault. In Morrowind when I die to an enemy I don't think of changing my approach I think "Wow better grind some more so I have a 40% chance of hitting them rather than a 35% chance".

>A) TECHNICAL LIMITATIONS, and B) Why? Who decided that the combat has to be "intuitive" to you? It was entirely intuitive to me, by the way. You have no right to decide what level of fidelity is a cut-off point for what level of symbolization.
If there are technical limitations don't convert it to an engine that would require a speck of functionality. There are enough animations in the game that they could afford to write an extra script for a player/NPC controlled block, rather than having it ALSO controlled by a dice-roll.
>>
>>339040090
>>339040002
>>339040054
Nice arguments but I guess nostalgia fags are blinded with their glasses to put up a real opinion
>>
>>339039391
I used to think so too, but then I found this Youtuber named JustRed. They broke down the magic system by one magic skill per video, and outlined so much more than the elemental spells. Blinding opponents, damaging attributes (can permanently overemcumber them or make them always miss), rendering them unable to cast spells, ect. Just like any other true RPG, it gets a lot more intricate as you progress.
>>
>>339032339
Because it's clunky.
>>
File: 22320_20160527134143_1.png (1 MB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
22320_20160527134143_1.png
1 MB, 1280x960
Random screenshot from Arktwend.
What graphical mods work with it? It could do with looking a bit better.
>>
File: morrowindtravel.png (67 KB, 1099x977) Image search: [Google]
morrowindtravel.png
67 KB, 1099x977
>>339039891
Yeah, instead it's actually more interesting and requires you to figure out and memorize different travel routes instead of letting the game do all of the traveling for you. Plus the game gave you levitation spells and speed boots to help you get around which is a lot more interesting than clicking a point on a map. But you don't care about any of that.
>>
>>339037101
nigger elves
>>
>>339039891
>guards are too powerful

Modern Bethesda games lacking these qualities is part of what makes them worse.

I would go as far to say that Morrowind has possibly the best fast travel system in an open world game.
>>
>>339034846
THIS. FUCKING THIS, thank you. It's stiff, and boils down to spamming more or less.

It has the stats of a pen and paper RPG, but none of the spacial movement and tactical options. In D&D you have a grid map, varying terrain heights and team mates, with which to move and co-ordinate the best attack strategy. In Morrowing your enemy will be infront of you, and your melee attack is one button.
>>
>>339040407
Most of the things you said are just personal issues

It's more "wahh it's too hard" than actual problems with the game

There's hardly anything for rebuttal, seeing as you hardly said how those were problems in the first play
>>
>>339040293
First of all: you clearly entered a fight you weren't supposed to win. Yes, when you engage an enemy you aren't equipped to fight, either because you are under leveled, or because you have a poor character build, your only chance is luck. Risk management if the name of the game, and as multiple people in this thread already confirmed, if you actually know what you are doing, you won't find yourself in situations where you have to rely on sheer luck to win. I never had.
Second of all:
>Dice roll combat is fine in Isometric or 2D games but not in open world, highly controllable worldspaces.
Says who? This is an entirely arbitrary statement, especially considering that Morrowind's space isn't "highly controllable". It's one step above tile-based, hell, it's pretty much the first big first person RPG that wasn't tile-based outside of System Shock 2, which however was extremely limited space and complexity wise.

>Oblivions combat is floaty but that's about all the problems I have with it.
It's exactly the same spam fest except it goes way deeper into the uncanny valley than Morrowind had with the combat being more spacially accurate, but still lacking proper communication of hits. Not to mention that it's ENTIRELY based around level scaled enemies to balance out the lack of failed attacks and it's deeply connected to one of the biggest balance clusterfucks I've ever seen in a game.

>I feel as if it is my fault.
It's equally your fault in both games. It's just that Morrowind is less handholding and confronts you with situations where NOT ENGAGING is the proper option, while Oblivion avoids that entirely by it's shitty level scaling.
Because that is a thing in Morrowind: You are not supposed to be able to win every fight. Alien notion to a later bethesda game player, I know.

>If there are technical limitations(...)
Again, YOU FAILING TO UNDERSTAND HOW to play the game is not the game's fault.
>>
File: knew it.png (124 KB, 494x309) Image search: [Google]
knew it.png
124 KB, 494x309
>>339039416
There was never any fucking debate, old man. You're the one who started out pissing your adult diapers screaming "UNIMAGINATIVE" and "MILENNIAL" like the elitist prude you are. You throw the usual shit about me being spoiled, uncreative, blah blah fucking blah I grew up playing RuneScape. The animations are fucking horrible and you can stab someone in the face and not do them damage and it didn't bother me because it doesn't even try what Morrowind does which was improved on later iterations where hitting someone didn't require you to "use your le fantasy xDDD". Don't know what you mean by me not enjoying a variety in games, that comes out of nothing.

I just love how, as usual, people just can't dislike the combat. If they do, they're wrong. What's more is that they're casuals and everything wrong with the industry, not to mention they're also window lickers. You really sum it up by the end there when you yourself say what are valid complaints FOR me so I don't have to make them.

>>339039739
>You people really are pathetic. It's beyond belief how pathetic you are. Literally the neediest, most lazy generation of all time.
God you're such a whiny fucking bitch it's unbelievable. Always Morrowind too. I feel sorry for the less rabid fans. Please kill yourself, jesus fucking christ
>>
File: 1463949826240s.jpg (3 KB, 125x125) Image search: [Google]
1463949826240s.jpg
3 KB, 125x125
>>339037981
So you're mad because you tell every one you are a warrior then you go mike brown on a shop owner
(who happens to be a woman) and then you end up like mike brown did
and this is bad combat? seem's life like too me
>>
>>339040697
>>339040725
>speed boots
Sweet awesome loot where I can finally run faster.Oh wait it blinds you so you have to go out of your way to counter the effects with magic
>best fast travel system
Well shit I forgot my feather potion so if I want to carry all this nice loot I'll have to walk back to town and walk back here.
>lacking qualities
I am the fucking chosen hero why should a guard still be a problem for me after level 10.
Journal based system of directions is stupid because you have to open a menu up just to find where your going and that detracts form the action
>>
File: openmw_2016-05-27_15-22-10.jpg (177 KB, 1920x1058) Image search: [Google]
openmw_2016-05-27_15-22-10.jpg
177 KB, 1920x1058
I don't know if I should just finish it with this orc (the one with 2 weapon and armor majors) or make a new character.
Magic seems fun and it's the first time I didn't pick a sneaky character for the first playthrough
>>
>>339040054
well rounded and reasonable arguments there friend, you've swayed me.
>>
File: no hecks.png (174 KB, 429x491) Image search: [Google]
no hecks.png
174 KB, 429x491
>>339041107
>Alien notion to a later bethesda game player, I know.
Morrowind Defense Force finding a way to be condescending no matter what.
>>
>>339040262
Thanks, serjo, that's good to know. I'll definitely have to give it a go now because I'm not really interested in any gameplay modifications and an easy install is always nice.
What are you using for those extra items, or is that just another graphical mod?

>>339040293
>Hloramen
You got your shit kicked in by ~level ten enemies, because the Strongholds aren't meant for beginners.
I'm not one of these guys trying to say Morrowind's combat is /perfect/, but I do disagree with a lot of what you're saying. It might not feel as responsive as Oblivion or Skyrim, because you have the added impediment of the dicerolls to go over, but if you understand that it's not really a big thing to overcome. Personally, I find the greater reliance on stats preferable over Oblivion's padded-out combat at anything other than the lowest of levels, and Skyrim's inexplicable mix of scalings.
There are plenty of tactical options, you just have to look - how you prepare for a fight, or whether you got surprised; fatigue management, weapon selection for reach, variety of attacks, damage, even switching between weapon types in the middle of combat; being able to disengage and heal or debuff an enemy. It might not be the most intuitive system in the world, but it's not the most intuitive game - and it's still fun

>>339040704
Slave race pls go
See >>339040268
Dunmer are the literal Master Race.
>>
>>339032339
If you don't optimise your character for combat at the begining of the game it might be a frustrating.
>>
>>339040293
> Mechanically, when I die to an enemy, I feel as if it is my fault.
This.THIS is why I prefer Oblivions combat. No RNG bullshit but just your skill with dodging/blocking at the right time,jumping over at the right angle and countering.

This is especially important when playing with an archer build like I was. Good sniping positions so you can instantly hide before you get noticed(Before the arrow hits),firing arrows in mid air while dodging etc, really enhance the experience.
>>
>>339041107
>You are not supposed to be able to win every fight
guess the neverar was a shit hero compared to the dragonborn and the guy from oblivion
>>
>>339040262
>the only gameplay change I use is the fair mana reg mod

This is exactly how I play Morrowind as well.
>>
>>339041113
>I just love how, as usual, people just can't dislike the combat.
Actually, I was one of the the first ones in this thread to specifically point out how flawed the combat is. There is no problem with criticizing the combat.
Where I do have a problem is when braindead cunts like you insult other people because they have the capacity to do something you can't. And that is what you have been doing this entire thread. I'm not elitist, but I'm going to call you a sorry sad piece of shit for proudly boasting the incapacity to understand non-literal mode of communication in a game and then insulting others for being capable of that.

Again. You have already said that "there is always somebody who tells you this" and yet you STILL have not even entertained the though that it might actually be you who is in the wrong here. And that, my retarded little friend, is what is really wrong with you, and the likes of you. And the fact that you have pestered multiple threads just shows how fucking stubborn and dumb you are.

>God you're such a whiny fucking bitch it's unbelievable.
You literally spend hours upon hours repeatedly visiting threads telling people that something you can't comprehend is shit over and over again, whinning and insulting people and works because you are too dumb to understand them.
And I'm the whining one?
YOU CAME HERE WHINE ABOUT THE GAME. Not I.
>>
>>339037419
>being a 40kid in a Morrowind thread
>>
>>339041204
>I'm the chosen one! Why should I struggle against a guard who probably has years more experience than I do? I should be able to get away with anything!
>You can't be bothered with opening a menu and reading 3 sentences at worst. It distracts the "constant action" (?)
You're just impatient
>>
File: 1463762992024.jpg (256 KB, 700x800) Image search: [Google]
1463762992024.jpg
256 KB, 700x800
>>339040407
Ok, I'll expand a little.

fun - it adds to the immersion, and there are a LOT of places you can fast travel to, so what's the problem walk a bit to the dungeon?

no - combat is mediocre, not completely shit as you state vigorously, the most shitty aspect of combat is AI of enemies and the fact that you can abuse potions.

fun - breaking the game IS fun, you are goddamn Neverar, you kill gods, it makes sense.

yes - I agree that the game is too hard at start and too easy later on. Problem with slow character is easily solved by simple mod.

fun - when you meet something you just can't kill, then do some other quests, gain power, return and smash it to the ground, then you have a nice feeling that you accomplished something hard.

fun - the journal is just superb - it adds a lot to role playing and immersion. Sometimes though the directions are too vague. I hated the quest marker in Skyrim and just fallowing the compass, the Morrowind's asking random people for directions just feels better.

>guards are too powerful
no - the guards are strong, but when you become higher level you can kill them easily (then again - why would you want to?).

yes - stealth is almost non-existant, that's true. Ranged is very strong, but like the meele, it's boring because AI sucks and you can easily kill stupid enemies blocking themselves on terrain.

fun - I like the design, the beast races feel different.
>>
>>339041295
>Morrowind Defense Force finding a way to be condescending no matter what.
I take that as a confirmation.
Dude, I'm just reflecting on what you said. You entered a fucking fortress on low level and were surprised that you are constantly losing a fucking fight. Then you proceed to praise Oblivion, a game LITERALLY ENTIRELY DESIGNED THAT YOU CAN'T ENTER A FIGHT THAT WOULD NOT BE AUTOBALLANCED SO THAT YOU CAN WIN AT EVERY SITUATION.
Deny that. Give me some kind of fucking argument.
>>
>>339041107
You know it was the first dungeon right? That and another bandit cave right next to Seyda Neen where I just save-scummed to win. You are supposed to win, and I did. Not through skill, but through cheesing it because that's all the game allows. From the start to finish Morrowind requires zero thought, zero skill, zero intelligence. It just requires grinding until you kill everything.

>Says who? This is an entirely arbitrary statement, especially considering that Morrowind's space isn't "highly controllable". It's one step above tile-based, hell, it's pretty much the first big first person RPG that wasn't tile-based outside of System Shock 2, which however was extremely limited space and complexity wise.

Morrowind fully intends to be open-world, you should know this yourself considering it tried to build questing aspects around it but failed in regards to making the combat an enjoyable experience in that environment. Daggerfall and Arena were what a tile-set based game should be like. Morrowind's gameplay is too hybrid and unrefined to be in any way relative to other games.

It's exactly the same spam fest except it goes way deeper into the uncanny valley than Morrowind had with the combat being more spacially accurate, but still lacking proper communication of hits. Not to mention that it's ENTIRELY based around level scaled enemies to balance out the lack of failed attacks and it's deeply connected to one of the biggest balance clusterfucks I've ever seen in a game.

I've never heard anyone complaining about Oblivion's level scaling who wasn't bad at the game. If you can't kill an Imp at level 1 your build is shit or you're shit. All it requires is a few extra swings and some strafing. You're supposed to make better decisions as you level up. Not wait until you're level 10 and then fuck everything like in Morrowind.
>>
>>339036462
To me this actually makes the combat more dramatic than other TES games because you can image sweet combat moves like the duel of fates in episode 1. The later games are very pretty albeit repetitive representations of combat: swing, hit, block, power swing, swing, block, dead, loot.
Do more drugs while you play for immersion I guess?
>>
>>339041107
>It's equally your fault in both games. It's just that Morrowind is less handholding and confronts you with situations where NOT ENGAGING is the proper option, while Oblivion avoids that entirely by it's shitty level scaling.
Because that is a thing in Morrowind: You are not supposed to be able to win every fight. Alien notion to a later bethesda game player, I know.

Considering you do win every fight all the time after a few hours it isn't an issue, but's thats not good game design.
>>
>>339041236
Magic is pretty fun, if you can understand it having a chance to fail like everything else (you've made it this far into the game, so I'm sure you're not one of these idiots)

It's really up to you. Your current character now would take some pretty heavy investment to turn into a good mage without some alchemy/enchanting abuse, so if you don't mind starting all over again you could roll a more suited/jack-of-all-trades character. You'll have more of an idea of what skills to pick for the character you want to be this time, as well.
If you don't want to go through the early game again, with enough training your skill levels up you'll be able to throw a few spells around (though probably mostly utility/healing)

>>339041371
It's not even about optimization, as 'don't be an idiot and not pick any combat skills and then expect to be good at combat.'
A new player with a jack-of-all-trades build will do fine, even without major bonuses (and really, a new player will tend to stack themselves pretty heavily towards combat anyway)
>>
>>339041489
>guess the neverar was a shit hero compared to the dragonborn and the guy from oblivion
Nerevarine. Nevervar is dead.
Also, you have to become Nerevarine. Unlike in Oblivion and Skyrim, the prophecy does not actually state that you are a Nerevarine - only that you have the potential to become one. Much like hundreds of other people had and will have. The whole work of with the prophecy was much smarter in Morrowind.
>>
>>339041236
FWIW it takes about 8 hours to 'speedrun' the main quest if you don't skip any steps at all.
>>
>>339041113
>I just love how, as usual, people just can't dislike the combat.
Disliking the combat isn't the problem. Most people that love Morrowind probably dislike the combat. That's the reason there are mods that attempt to fix it. The problem is that you seem to be completely incapable of wrapping your mind around how what is shown on screen is not a concrete representation of what is actually happening and refuse to accept that you are just asking too much from a fifteen year old game.
>>
>>339041584
>Why should I struggle against a guard who probably has years more experience than I do? I should be able to get away with anything!
Except it's an rpg so my character was an ex-mercenary with probably more years on those shit guards.
Skyrim did it really well where you can actually kill everyone right off the bat.
>impatient
Who wouldn't be in the slow pace of morrowind
>>
Morrowind is a good game. I like it a lot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MyhpuBIJlWM
>>
File: 13236-1190593946[1].jpg (258 KB, 1280x1024) Image search: [Google]
13236-1190593946[1].jpg
258 KB, 1280x1024
>>339041686
>LITERALLY ENTIRELY DESIGNED THAT YOU CAN'T ENTER A FIGHT THAT WOULD NOT BE AUTOBALLANCED SO THAT YOU CAN WIN AT EVERY SITUATION.
>>
>>339041928
>pony profile picture
anon please
>>
>>339041706
>You know it was the first dungeon right?
Hlormaren is not going to be the first dungeon for a starter character. If it is, that's your own damn fault.
>>339041706
>That and another bandit cave right next to Seyda Neen where I just save-scummed to win.
Unless you are playing at the hardest difficulty setting already, or you're talking about getting one-shot by the lone mage because of being unlucky/an idiot, this should not be happening.
Anecdotal proof: started up a game on my Xbox 360 to test the pure base mechanics, and took a literal jack-of-all-trades starting character into that cave and had little trouble
>>
>>339041926
Lol, if you want to roleplay as experienced adventurer why not use console commands to give yourself a higher lvl and stats right at start?
>>
>>339032339
It's garbage.

People are going to go on and on about stamina and points, but those are the first lines of defense in a combat system that is fundamentally weak, pathetic, and ultimately so shallow that I debate whether the game would be made better by it's removal.

It's the weakest part of Morrowind by a mile. Player skill doesn't matter. The 3D space between you and the enemy is the only skill to master. Essentially if you understand reach, you have beaten Morrowind's combat. What is left is managing rpg stats. Stamina and points.

Morrowind is an rpg using a game system design for action combat. It's too stupid to understand that how the player interacts with the world breaks immersion. It gives you and attack button that can be spammed and a variety of attacks. Yet none of this matters. What matters is if your stats are high and your stamina is good.

Different attacks are useless and lack any particular properties that are more useful than the damage of the attack. Thus there is no reason not to use the most damaging attack. Combining this with the fact that combat is dice-roll, your best strategy is just to get in something's face and spam until it dies. No, I'm fucking serious. You can play with magic and status effects, but once you hit level 10 this is how you beat all combat situations. Blocking, power-attacks? Blocking is automated and power-attacks are too gamey for Morrowind's shallow melee combat.

It leads to brain-dead combat that's just a snore to get through. The first-person focus is deceptively action focus. It leads to an open betrayal of the player's expectations. The fault here is that what Morrowind gives you is not better than what you expected.
>>
>>339042004
I sure do love mare vagina. I also like dark elf, orc, khajiit and argonian vagina.
>>
>>339041634
I started reading through the whole thread and maybe ya'll are right.
All these issues can simply be fixed if I was more patient.
>>
>>339041706
>That and another bandit cave right next to Seyda Neen where I just save-scummed to win.
>I'm level one. Better run into this cave full of bandits and try to kill them all.
>>
>>339041706
>You know it was the first dungeon right?
What first dungeon? The first dungeon the main story actually sends you to is an ancestral tomb, inhabited purely by undead. And even before that you are told to go around and level up some, join the guilds, which will have doing very simple shit for quite a while before facing you with thougher levels. There is no "first dungeon" in Morrowind, the game is non-linear.
The fact that there is a cave near the starting location DOES NOT MEAN that you are supposed to go there. You are not supposed to be able to win those fights. You are not supposed to win anything: it entirely depends on your character build. You can end up with a build that has no capacity for combat what so ever when it comes to it.

Again: ultimately, your complaint is that the game did not hold your hands enough, and faced you with a confusing situation. No red skulls near the enemy name, I guess. >>339041706
>I've never heard anyone complaining about Oblivion's level scaling who wasn't bad at the game.
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA ARE YOU FUCKING SERIOUS?! Is this a joke? The actual fucking fuck?
DUDE, THE COMPLAINT IS EXACTLY THE OPPOSITE. YOU CAN'T FUCKING FAIL IN OBLIVION. THAT IS THE FUCKING PROBLEM WITH OBLIVION.
Nobody ever complained about the level scaling in Oblivion being too hard: people complained about it being patronizing, laughably stupid and easy. Literally designed so that you can't find your self in situation where you would have to back out of a fight for fuck sake.
>>
>>339041805
Actually this makes the Nerevarine sound like the best protag since he actually struggles to become who he is.
>>
>>339041706
>I've never heard anyone complaining about Oblivion's level scaling who wasn't bad at the game
lmao
>>
>>339042027
>Hlormaren isn't starting dungeon

Well it's one of them, it must be because it's on the same path where the guy with the hat fell from the sky and in the first swamp area. For the record the rest of the dungeon is a cakewalk. If you kill the first guy just go in, free the slaves and then leave again.
As for the cave, same deal, slightly easier than the fort but on 50% difficulty (100% damage for you and NPC I think) it's another dungeon where the game chooses whether it likes you or not.
>>
Because /v/ has been overrun by the instant-gratification generation of casuals who can't understand the point of progress and improvement.
>>
>People still shit on the combat that it's too hard
Looks like someone didn't bring potions
>>
File: 1463047641130.png (687 KB, 841x503) Image search: [Google]
1463047641130.png
687 KB, 841x503
>>339041805
>>339042348
''Many fall, but one remains.''
Yep, now you're getting it.
>>
Morrowind was so next gen they managed to make the game entirely out of shades of brown

I've never played a game moar FUKKEN BROWN than Morrowind, and I've gone through the WoW Barrens
>>
>>339042380
>>339042274
>I can't kill everything in one hit
>Why aren't these bandits naked and using only an iron dagger to hit my overleveled character?! Must be the level scaling.

Same shit every thread. Literally the only complaints I've heard.
>>
>>339042348
>Actually this makes the Nerevarine sound like the best protag since he actually struggles to become who he is.
It is. It also actually acknowledges player agency within the story, and acknowledges that he might legitimately decide to ignore the main quest without it being lore-contradicting.
>>
>>339042552
>bandits in cave have leather armor
>few levels later
>same bandits now have glass armor and take even longer to kill, but do shit damage
oh man I sure love hitting sponges
>>
>>339041783
>It's not even about optimization, as 'don't be an idiot and not pick any combat skills and then expect to be good at combat.'
A new player with a jack-of-all-trades build will do fine, even without major bonuses (and really, a new player will tend to stack themselves pretty heavily towards combat anyway)

I said "might". The only time I have found it annoying was when I was suppose to punch out some guy at Raven Rock mine until he left and I had put no effort into leveling my hand to hand. So I just ended up slapping the guy for 30 minutes like my character was Mr. Burns.
>>
>>339042552
>Same shit every thread. Literally the only complaints I've heard.
THE FUCK?
This has to be a fucking troll.
>>
>>339041805
>>339042348
>>339042489
That's what I didn't like about Skyrim's Dragonborn bullshit it felt way too forced
and in Oblivion you were just some guy
Morrowind actually made you feel like a hero because of all the bullshit you had to go through to become one
>>
>>339042552
>Bandits
>The people who plunder/rob/loot
>Got their hands on Glass armour after some time.
>WAAAH why is this happening waaaa!
>>
The only bullshit thing in morrowind was how slow you were early game
>>
File: 1449016170144.jpg (336 KB, 960x768) Image search: [Google]
1449016170144.jpg
336 KB, 960x768
>>339041551
>>339041853
it's not that I can't use my meme imagination to see the combat. It's just that this is the sign of poor design, having the player resort to using his fantasy in a world that clearly tries its best to simulate and present the things you'd otherwise have to imagine. Like I fucking said I played RuneScape as a kid. Fantasy isn't a fucking problem.

>YOU CAME HERE WHINE ABOUT THE GAME
I came in to see the Morrowind Defence Force in action, my good sir. And I did in all its glory I mean fucking hell this is pathetic dude. All these wild assumptions about me and how I play games because I think the combat is utter fucking shit-tier. No idea how I clocked over 100 hours into the game on Steam famalam.

>>339042965
>get boots of blinding speed
>lean in closer to the screen so I can see where I'm going
I'm onto you, game
>>
>>339042381
Just because it's near the starting area doesn't mean it's a dungeon designed for starter characters. It's just sensible world-design.
In fact, if you follow the simple hints/directions given to you with your very first orders (or just ask around town like a sensible N'wah) someone'll tell you this - that you can never really know what you're getting in to when you approach a dungeon, so be careful (and that it's probably best to take the silt strider to Balmora)
Then again, you weren't really following directions anyway, because you were going the wrong way
>http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Morrowind:Elone's_Directions_to_Balmora

>>339042681
I know, man, I was just agreeing with you. It just fucking annoys me when people act like a complete beginner has to minmax from the start to be competitive, it gives people the wrong idea.
Should've just damaged his fatigue, sera. Though I made the same mistake when I first played

>>339042693
>Morrowind actually made you feel like a hero because of all the bullshit you had to go through to become one
That's the best thing about it. And if you want to tell the main quest to fuck right off, you can.
Why it's the best game, of course.
>>
>>339042693
Morrowind, most importantly, understood that the pacing is important. In Morrowind, the threat looms over you, but you are never quite sure of how severe it is and how much time do you have. It could be a year before Dagoth Ur becomes strong enough: it could be a decade. There is something wrong, and something has to be done, but there is no artificial "Look, LOOK SHIT IS GOING DOWN RIGHT NOW, AS WE SPEAK" like the Oblivion gates or Skyrim's dragons. The game knew that it does not have to smack you with the threat over your face every five minutes. It added a lot to the story: first of all it better accommodates and aligns with the open world freedom of approach design philosophy, second of all it's patronizing and it rather weaves the threat into the background and lore of the world than into cinematic set pieces.

Together with the whole "many fall, one remains" it was what made the whole story far more functional, and in the long run far more immersive.
>>
File: image.jpg (42 KB, 627x476) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
42 KB, 627x476
>the one single cultural contribution that the rest of Tamriel embraced from Vvardenfell was the Lusty Aragonina Maid and it was written by some Imperial guy that was made an honorary Dunmer by the most jewish of the great houses
>>
>>339041332
>Dunmer are the literal Master Race.

Go back to the grey district pleb
>>
>>339043072
With magic resistance you can actually negate the negative effects of constant effect magic.
>>
>>339042693
I preferred being some nobody in Oblivion. Felt way more personal. Prophecies are kinda lame and cliche so I'm tired of them. The Champion of Cyrodiil felt like he was just some guy who did really well.

>>339043191
desu Morrowind needed some nudge nudge. I never felt any curiosity to find out anything so I literally never progressed the main quest and forgot all about it. I haven't even completed it.

>>339043462
That sounds extremely broken, I like it.
>>
>>339043072
>having the player resort to using his fantasy in a world that clearly tries its best to simulate and present the things you'd otherwise have to imagine.
Except the entire game is designed with the idea of using your fantasy on almost all levels. From the dialogue, which will actually provide you with a summary of what you had learned, rather than a line-for-line transcription of the dialogue, past the traveling, lack of expression, day and night cycles, spell impacts, even interiors and landscaping - everything. The game never attempted to be simulative in it's presentation. It had higher fidelity than it's predecessors, yes. But that does not mean it passed some special, arbitrary point where suddenly it's supposed to be all perfectly 1to1.
Also, you are literally complaining about having to employ your imagination at this point. YOU ARE LITERALLY COMPLAINING ABOUT HAVING TO USE YOUR IMAGINATION FOR FUCK SAKE. I CAN'T THINK OF ANYTHING MORE FUCKING SAD THAN THAT.

>I came in to see the Morrowind Defence Force in action, my good sir.
That is what I said. You came here to whine and combat your own insecurity, stemming from the subconscious awareness that there is something wrong with your opinion of the game by being a cunt.
You came here to desperately attempt to validate your own shitty opinion of the game.
>>
>>339043191
>Look, LOOK SHIT IS GOING DOWN RIGHT NOW, AS WE SPEAK"
oh god I hated that it took my immersion away because no matter how long I ignored the MQ
The dragons don't actually do much besides sometimes killing npcs
Alduin doesn't eat the world
Oblivion gates popped up everywhere but no towns getting fucked over if I just leave them
I get they couldn't just put a time limit because it would be stupid but that whole "worlds fucked unless you do something,but if you ignore it it's cool" thing is dumb
>>
>>339043528
>some nobody in Oblivion
To each their own anon
But in Oblivion it's just weird for me when the Emperor says your an important guy but throughout the whole game I never got that feeling.
>>
>>339043885
>But in Oblivion it's just weird for me when the Emperor says your an important guy but throughout the whole game I never got that feeling.
Actuallly, you are important. The game is just extremely awkward about it.
>>
Trying to do dice rolls with real time combat becomes a confusing mess. The way it is done just doesn't feel very interactive at all.

>redpill me
you dropped your fedora
>>
>>339032339
Because it presents itself as an action RPG but then you realise that it's not.
I think it's okay, but lazy. They should have thought of ways to show how shit you are at weapons with low skill/stamina than making you miss when you're clearly successfully hitting the hitbox. Simply making unskilled hits do fuck all damage would have done the trick.
>>
File: Three Gods.jpg (2 MB, 938x1250) Image search: [Google]
Three Gods.jpg
2 MB, 938x1250
>>339043339
>Skyrim
>he doesn't realise this was just a setback to allow the glorious Great House Redoran to drive out the collaborator Hlaalu dogs and lead Morrowind into a new golden age of Faith and Prosperity
>He doesn't realise all the Grey District refugees are filthy Hlaalu
A few hundred years is a short time in the history of the Dunmer, N'wah
Implying the Red Year is even canon in my c0da anyway

>>339043612
>Dragons do nothing
>meanwhile, Vampires will reduce your cities to ghost towns
>>
>>339043998
And as for stamina, they should simply prevent you from making an attack when it's empty.
>>
>>339043591
Just give up. I'm not going to use my imagination to excuse boring design. You're like one of the Bethesda fanboys who defends Fallout 3 and 4's plotholes saying you have to come up with your own theories to explain them. This is your last reply, hope I wasted your time faggot.

>>339043612
The main quest in Skyrim was so fucking bad. That final boss with Alduin's not even slightly challanging on any level. Although Oblivion's quest is no masterpiece it's a certainly better Imo. I have a soft spot for that game. But these games don't work well with forcing you to feel an urgency because there's so much else you're supposed to have time to.

>>339043885
Ah the Emperor's spiel, I forgot about that. I just like the idea of a nobody becoming a legend.

>>339044000
>Dragons can't enter cities and kill people
>vampires can and will
k
>>
>>339043885
The people don't immediately kiss your ass like in Morrowind but it still recognises you as saviour of Kvatch.
>>
>>339042381
>>Hlormaren isn't starting dungeon
>
>Well it's one of them, it must be because it's on the same path where the guy with the hat fell from the sky and in the first swamp area. For the record the rest of the dungeon is a cakewalk. If you kill the first guy just go in, free the slaves and then leave again.
This is like Fallout 3 retards crying about how they can't go anywhere in New Vegas
>>
>>339042832
Oblivion is probably my favorite of the TES games, but not even I am going to pretend that it's scaling isn't absolute and utter shit. It doesn't make things difficult, it makes them tedious
>it adds difficulty to the game because the mobs are now stronger!
They're not stronger they just take forever to fucking kill and with the combat that's the same shit as Morrowind's (spam m1 for fucking ever) it ends up being nothing but a nuisance.
Also, even Skyrim has fast travel planned out better than Oblivion.
It doesn't let you instantly travel to major cities, but still gives you a chance to ride the carriage to them.
The main quest is shit, uninteresting and the most tedious thing in the entire game
>>
>>339044070
>I'm not going to use my imagination to excuse boring design.
How about using your imagination to enjoy the a good game doing what it's era and technical limitations allowed it to do?
Yes, you wasted my time. It's the most you'll probably ever affect any other person's life you sorry piece of shit, so I hope it feels good.
>>
>>339043986
really I don't remember that well it's been seven years since I last played oblivion
>>
>>339042381
Oh, yeah, and I forgot.
>For the record the rest of the dungeon is a cakewalk. If you kill the first guy just go in, free the slaves and then leave again.
...I don't think you explored it properly, because there's a high-level battlemage who is more than capable of oneshotting a lowlevel character literally on sight.
>>
>>339032339
Because it's boring and its old fashioned. If I wanted a combat system like that I would play D&D. Its a turn based game disguising itself as an action game. Oblivion was the perfect combat system for elder scrolls except for blocking which Skyrim did better.
>>
>>339044226
At least once you killed someone the ragdoll would go whichever way you hit them
>>
File: Hmmm.jpg (24 KB, 300x286) Image search: [Google]
Hmmm.jpg
24 KB, 300x286
>>339044226
>bandits with daedric

>>339044336
>spam the backwards attack
>enemy flies off the bridge
feels good
>>
>>339044395
>>339044336
yeah the ragdolls were fun in oblivion
in skyrim they do that sort of half spin and die animation and makes your warhammer feel dumb
>>
>>339032339
Because it's terrible and uninteresting where your only option is mashing M1 until the opponent dies. There are ways to do turn based or realtime combat in RPGs and have it be engaging.
>>
>>339036338
It's impossible to wield higher level weapons since you can't actually find them until you reach those upper levels
>>
>>339032339
>tl:dr first person melee combat that is essentially d20 is not very good
>>
>>339041926
>implying you weren't a prisoner for an undefined amount of time before Morrowind
And what if your character wasn't a warrior before? It's not catering to you.

Also, >>339042075
>>
>>339039891
>fast travel
stopped reading
>>
>>339036076
>People who suck Morrowind's cock generally have never actually wielded a sword before.
A tip of the fedora to you sir.
>>
>>339041928
>Orc Rogue
>Hey, this could be kinda c-
>pony avatar
>disliked, closed tab
>>
>tfw beast races will never be naked again
>>
>>339032339

its people who grew up playing consoles and whose first RPG was oblivion who complain

also a lot of people get confused about the whole "first person" thing

they're the same idiots who cry about not being able to effectively use guns in deus ex

generally they were born 95> and their opinions should be discounted
>>
>>339032339
Morrowind is probably my 2nd favorite game of all time after Thief TDP, that hopefully establishes that i'm being genuine. That being said, the reason people complain about it because it is visually jarring to some people to see a weapon pass clearly through an opponent and it do nothing. Disregarding the general truth that most Morrowind critics don't actually know how the mechanics of combat work, the inability to consistently land a hit on a stationary opponent that is 3 feet from you is wonky looking and it can be frustrating to people who either can't or wont bring their imagination into the game or simply accept the mechanics as they are and enjoy them.

It's not about whether the mechanics are good or bad, its whether they are initially tolerable to you or not. Many gamers who grew up on action games or RPGS at a later date will be bothered by it and it's really a result of those games conditioning them. Also, Morrowind honestly lacks depth in melee combat. Making shields manual would have helped a lot and a simple riposte and dodging system would have helped immensely.

But I play Morrowind for the world building first, not combat. And it's obvious that the further Bethesda attempts to tip the scales toward combat mechanics, the more world building is put aside leading to a shallow experience that's only merit is that it's "fun" and that's a shame.
>>
File: u_nwah.png (8 KB, 320x320) Image search: [Google]
u_nwah.png
8 KB, 320x320
>>339032339

>Enemies roll their attack dice only when in range
>Player can roll attack dice even when out of range or not properly targeting something

That's my only complaint really. I think it's a missed opportunity (no pun intended) that the game has weapons of different reach but it's so hard to find the proper distance to take advantage of longer weapons. The player has no reason to swing a weapon without a target, so it's just an inconvenience that the player needs to approximate the correct distance, and the AI enemy just does it automatically using a single "if" -statement.

Also the system around weapon shapes and attack methods lacks depth. You have blunts, blades and thrust weapons with different attacks, but there isn't much differentiation between them even though those combinations should have drastically different damage types. But that's just something missing, it isn't a constant annoyance caused by bad design.
>>
File: 1454931554903.jpg (540 KB, 1666x1925) Image search: [Google]
1454931554903.jpg
540 KB, 1666x1925
>ITT: elitist faggots desperately defending Morrowind's dreadful combat system
>ITT: faglords that don't understand not every part of a game has to be great
>it's ultimately your enjoyment that really matters
>>
>>339044982
come on man the gunplay in deus ex was so shit it was better to just sneak around
>>
>>339044242
>really I don't remember that well it's been seven years since I last played oblivion
The emperor had actually seen you in his dreams, and prophesied that you will play a key roll in the upcoming events. You were exactly as much a "chosen one" in Oblivion as you were in Skyrim. The game later on pulled a rug from under you by suddenly saying "well nope, it's actually the OTHER guy who will close the gates for good" but your role in the story was still predefined and rigid, foretold by the Elder Scrolls.
Everything about your role in Oblivion hinged on a prophecy that captain Pickard did at the beginning of the game.
>>
>>339044967
mods bro mods
>>
It can be pretty confusing sometimes with enemy mages but otherwise its seems fine to me

You can collapse from a ton of magic crap going on before you blink and eye
>>
>>339045218

CoC was kind of a bitch, but I also hated Oblivion so w/e.
>>
>>339044589
No dude, you don't understand. There were TECHNICAL LIMITATIONS IN 2002.
>>
Chance to hit was a bad mechanic in Morrowind and here is why.

Traditionally, rolling or crunching numbers to determine if an attack lands was due to limitations in game systems. With tabletop there is nothing to actually attack short of stabbing the DM and with non-action RPGs there was nothing to judge if you the player were close or accurate enough. Speed, positioning and accuracy weren't programmed into the game for the player to use. With a real-time first person action RPG, there is no need to calculate if an attack lands or not. Hitboxes alone should determine if an attack lands or not. Positioning and accuracy are skill-based aspects of fighting, with speed of course being a stat to represent physical aptitude. When the player is in direct control of their character, striking on command and moving freely in contrast to turn-based games, there should be no random chance to miss. The need to simulate that aspect is rendered obsolete.

In Morrowind, chance to hit is not only determined by the following stats: [weapon] skill, agility, luck, and following status effects: fortify attack and blindness, but also with fatigue. In combat fatigue usually drains by the player character performing attacks. At low levels where the PC usually has low agility, luck, and relevant weapon skill, low fatigue will very often result in a miss. Missing an attack will not give the player any sort of alert or message that they have missed, making new players confounded by a system where they are seemingly striking their enemy.

[cont]
>>
>>339045495
As they see their weapon collide with the model of their opponent in third person yet see to results, leading them to believe that they simply deal no damage. This conscious decision to not convey that an attack misses to the player is a large oversight on the part of Bethesda. Low fatigue can be countered by the player creating their character pumping points into the stats used in calculating chance to hit. The thing is that newcomers will often create a balanced character, with no knowledge of how combat is at low levels and how important it is to account for that if you desire to defeat anything. Encouraged to go into the game unmodded without looking at any walkthroughs, new players will hit a wall when they get into combat.

If the Morrowind fanbase desires the franchise to go back to the depth and complexity of TES III, they have to accept that the chance to hit mechanic was objectively bad. Any new players that dropped Morrowind prematurely very likely did it due to it. The attitude on the board is that anybody complaining about the chance to hit mechanic was bad at the game doesn't do anything in the Morrowind's fans' favors. Being unable to accept that a gameplay design was bad or poorly thought-out will lead to better discussions on future Elder Scrolls games' design and balance and may return the series to its golden age.
>>
>>339045413
I love how you had absolutely no counterargument when this was first raised, but you rather ran away from the debate, and only now trying to mock it. It's really cute and does not make you look like a complete fucking tool at all.
>>
>>339045610
The fact you use that to excuse lazy devs is actually pretty sad and makes you look like a complete dick sucker, though that was obvious from the start.
>>
>>339045582
But the enemy flinches and blood spurts out when you land a hit.
Nothing happens otherwise.
It's not hard to figure out hits aren't landing, and I'd bet everyone going into this game are expecting some misses, seeing as its brought up every discussion
>>
>>339045495
>Hitboxes alone should determine if an attack lands or not.
Why? Says who? Morrowind does not really have a hit box to begin with, the weapon does not physically collide with the opponent model, it only waves in his direction. The animation is what is used to convey the actual hit/miss confirmation. There is no clipping of models, actually, as the actual attack animations are purposefully shorter than the actual hit distance: it's purposefully so that the weapons would not clip through the enemy model and not give misleading information to the player.
>When the player is in direct control of their character, striking on command and moving freely in contrast to turn-based games, there should be no random chance to miss.
Again: SAYS WHO AND WHY?! These are ENTIRELY arbitrary decisions, further undermined by the fact that you don't have full control over both spacial progression and attack cycle.
The need to simulate finer details of the combat by statistic is NOT rendered obsolete if the technology does not allow for physical and visual simulation of those aspects in the game. The game does not have the fidelity or means to convey finer details of the combat. Just because you no longer move on tiles does not mean that stat-based simulation is somehow suddenly a bad fucking thing. The game is already very stilted and instancionalized, it's fucking clear this is not a precise 1to1 simulation of the world and player.

>is a large oversight on the part of Bethesda
How is "technical imposibility" an oversight of the company?

>they have to accept that the chance to hit mechanic was objectively bad.
Don't use the word "objectively" if you don't have a faintest clue what does it mean.
>>
>>339045582
>that last paragraph
>new tes games wouldn't be a complete fuckup if /v/ admits that morrowind combat is shit
what
>>
>>339045865
>The fact you use that to excuse lazy devs
You people really are completely, utterly disconnected from any kind of actual reality, aren't you?
>>
File: 1463406146484.jpg (100 KB, 1024x687) Image search: [Google]
1463406146484.jpg
100 KB, 1024x687
Modern Bethesda defense force is in full swing as usual I see. I keep forgetting it's summer.
>>
morrowind should have just played like kotor
>>
>>339046607
It's always summer
>>
File: Pt7ePSt.png (196 KB, 438x436) Image search: [Google]
Pt7ePSt.png
196 KB, 438x436
>there are people who play with 'always best attack' option on
>>
>>339044226
>They're not stronger
Not him but there's a huge fucking difference between a scamp and a Xivilai that keeps summoning Clannfears and has a huge spell absorb.
>>
>>339046607

Nerevarine is def my favourite of the heroes. I always considered him like Batman, no super powers or any of that shit but he was still able to beat several Gods through preparation and usage of tools. My head cannon tells me my Nerevarine went in and beat the fuck out of Vivec in a fully enchanted suit of Dwemer armour.
>>
File: 1464135387334.jpg (268 KB, 900x755) Image search: [Google]
1464135387334.jpg
268 KB, 900x755
>>339046741
I guess we don't have it as bad as the guys in the New Vegas threads.
>>
>>339045582
>Being unable to accept that a gameplay design was bad or poorly thought-out will lead to better discussions on future Elder Scrolls games' design and balance and may return the series to its golden age.
The first thing needed to do to improve the TES series is actually the exact opposite: Admit that Morrowind's combat, despite it's glaring major flaws, is still the best of the three last games. And here is why:
Morrowind's combat prioritizes player build, the system that represents a player character as a collection of stats and values representing in abstract form a complex history of the character. It's a combat that first and foremost plays off who is the character - what kind of person he is, what is his history, his strengths and weaknesses. It makes the ROLE, the CHARACTER more important than player input. It forces you to play off your character, to understand what your character can, and more importantly CAN'T do. Sure, the communication could be done clearer, although it's nowhere near as difficult to comprehend as you think (nobody actually had the issue you are describing at the time the game was released, the game communicates hits very clearly, and the conclusion that it's NOT A HIT WHEN IT DOES NOT CLEARLY SHOW "IT'S A HIT" isn't particularly difficult to achieve.

But the key thing here, absolutely necessary to actually dig TES series out of the shit, is to reintroduce the focus on character, rather than the player, and on symbolic representation of a more complex world than streamlined 1to1 representation coming at the expense of both mechanical and narrative depth to the story.

So really, the only step we could ever do to return TES to a golden age is to recognize the GOOD PARTS of Morrowind's combat, and learn how we could build on them, rather than dismiss them because some CRETIN IS UNABLE TO COMPREHEND THAT NOT EVERY SWING AT ENEMY IS AUTOMATED HIT.
>>
>>339046607
what constitutes as wielding sunder and keening?
touching them isn't harmful since you can pick them up and stash them in your inventory, only equipping them is harmful. What's the difference of equipping and simply holding/touching it?
What happens of you use telekinesis to control them and make them swing? what if you place it in a person's hand, cut off that hand, and wield the hand instead? what if you hold them with your feet?
>>
File: 1464133332650.jpg (657 KB, 2272x1641) Image search: [Google]
1464133332650.jpg
657 KB, 2272x1641
>>339047212
But why beat up Vivec, he was the only one that seemed somewhat regretful for his actions.
>>
File: morrowind.webm (2 MB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
morrowind.webm
2 MB, 640x360
...the fuck?
>>
>>339047396
regrets can't bring back my dead parents
>>
>>339045084
What are you doing here Tod?
>>
>>339046607
Clearly because it's Spring you fucking retard, 27th of May.
>>
>>339047218
>Morrowind's combat, despite it's glaring major flaws, is still the best of the three last games...
>>339047438
>>
>>339032339
Good magic and crafting, melee is shit and people that like it are nostalgic contrarian fanboys.
>>
>>339047438
DELETE THIS
>>
>>339047396

>I wanted to remind you to stay out of my way. In all the years to come, in your most private moments, I want you to remember the one man who beat you.

Then Vivec fucks off to do whatever shit he did.
>>
File: bait the dust.webm (464 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
bait the dust.webm
464 KB, 1280x720
>>339036076
>>
File: morrowindcombat.webm (1 MB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
morrowindcombat.webm
1 MB, 640x360
Excuse me?
>>
People born after 1998 and regularly get their opinions and videogames off of unfunny people on youtube have a problem with Morrowind 90% of current /v/, pay them no mind OP.
>>
>>339047916
No this is good combat stop hurting my feelings.
>>
>>339047216
Ain't that the truth, sera.

>>339047360
Presumably it's 'wielding' as in 'as a tool'; and that it's attempting to focus their Arcane Magicks that inflicts the wound.
Shit man, I dunno. Go ask the Dwemer.
>>
>>339047637
A character with zero skill in blunt weapons and zero stamina being unable to hit shit is actually entirely fine and correct, there is nothing wrong with that video. Imagine yourself with literally no strength left, literally balancing on the verge of falling down to the ground at the slightest of pushes, trying to hit something the size of a dog, but with rock-hard shell with a hammer while having absolutely zero fighting skill.
Also, that is an ancient trolling webm, at least use those that were modded out to make it look like it's not a result of low stamina and skill...

But to reiterate on the point: the webm perfectly illustrates what made Morrowind, even with the dull combat system still better in every regard, including the combat itself than later TES games: The game actually allows for simulation of a situation where a person is entirely screwed over by who he is: a player impatience and ignorance of the core systems is punished, as he find himself picking up a fight he never should have entered, with the wrong equipment and at the wrong time, and then he adds panicking on top of that: and as a cardinal idiot, dies.
That is how RPG's should work. Knowing when to fight, and when to run away because your character is pushing over his limits should be part of roleplaying.
>>
File: morrowindspellcasting.webm (3 MB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
morrowindspellcasting.webm
3 MB, 640x360
WORRIED LAUGHTER
>>
File: 1459413185091.png (139 KB, 551x636) Image search: [Google]
1459413185091.png
139 KB, 551x636
>>339047216
>>339048218

>>339048238
>the webm perfectly illustrates what made Morrowind, even with the dull combat system still better in every regard, including the combat itself than later TES games: The game actually allows for simulation of a situation where a person is entirely screwed over by who he is: a player impatience and ignorance of the core systems is punished, as he find himself picking up a fight he never should have entered, with the wrong equipment and at the wrong time, and then he adds panicking on top of that: and as a cardinal idiot, dies.
Agreed.
>>
>>339047916
Aaah I get it. That guy probably had some sorta space magic that lets his body disappear from the material plane... that has to be it!
>>
>>339033848
kek
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 87

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.