[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Thoughts?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 42
File: 182934573.jpg (61 KB, 662x482) Image search: [Google]
182934573.jpg
61 KB, 662x482
Thoughts?
>>
>>338905786

>Forbes
>>
>>338905786
It would make more sense if the headline included the word "comprehension"

>Gaming skill matters to gaming in the same way reading comprehension is necessary to understand literature

that said, I think that's generally true but where is he going with it..
>>
File: q2F8Fnt.jpg (961 KB, 2390x2390) Image search: [Google]
q2F8Fnt.jpg
961 KB, 2390x2390
>>338905786

Indifferent
>>
100% correct.
>>
>>338905960
And?

They're right.
>>
File: unnamed.png (47 KB, 300x292) Image search: [Google]
unnamed.png
47 KB, 300x292
>>338905786
It is a scientific fact.
Games are not like movies where you can just sit there like a vegetable to appreciate it.

You need skills to have fun.
>>
>>338905786
well yeah he's right
>>
>>338906057
>where is he going with it..
polygon playing doom and being terrible and giving a bad score because of it
>>
>>338905786
how does gaming requires skill
you're literally just pressing buttons
>>
>>338906057
>I think that's generally true but where is he going with it
He's going to shit on Polygon for being retards that can't play games whilst being game journalists.
>>
>>338906183
how does playing piano require skill
you're literally just pressing keys
>>
>>338906106
How so? Can you say you fully experienced a movie if you spent no time trying to understand it? Not thinking about a movie is similar to not advancing in a video game. While you technically experience what the movie offers, you never fully understand it. Just like you could experience a book just by looking at the letters, even if you don't know what they mean. You can have plenty of fun doing nothing but running around in circles in a starting area.
>>
There's going to be a Twitter shit storm from this
>>
I think what he means to say is that video games are an active hobby, not something like TV and even literature when you can just passively soak up the entertainment.

In video games, you have to interact with the medium.

Of course skill is a part of it, like any other active hobby, you can and should try to become better at it, this isn't different to say Snowboarding.
>>
>>338906183
Do you not play video games or something
>>
Isn't this headline just "Water is wet"?
>>
File: 1463700666038.jpg (184 KB, 1697x955) Image search: [Google]
1463700666038.jpg
184 KB, 1697x955
>>338905786
>you need to be able to cook to understand food
>>
File: 1348033888335.jpg (17 KB, 425x425) Image search: [Google]
1348033888335.jpg
17 KB, 425x425
>>338906497
IT IS?!
>>
>>338906305
>comparing piano with video games

"gamers" just need to kill themselves t bh
bunch of manchildren that didn't grow up
>>
>>338906389
>>338906325
I think it's an interesting concept that other forms of media don't require some active engagement.

When it comes to movies that have depth, I think you should be actively processing it and thinking about it.. especially when it comes to books.

but when its about the recent superhero movies and fluff action pieces of shit that most people talk about, yeah, that requires no thought to consume. and it asks nothing of the viewer.
>>
>>338906546
That's true.
>>
>>338906546
>being a game developer matters to gaming in the same way being a writer is necessary to understand literature
>food metaphors
>>
>>338905786
True if you're casual flith
>>
>>338906630
great retort buddy
>>
Reading and close reading are different things.

Language analysis is another.

To find the real contexts and discourses of a text you have to be able to read well, just like vidya
>>
define gaming skills

a more effective headline might be:

> Developing Skill is to Gaming is the same as Reading Comprehension is to Understanding Literature
>>
>>338905786

>you need to be able to make a burger to understand if a burger is good or not

lel, dumb gamergate cissys
>>
>>338906389
>literature when you can just passively soak up the entertainment.
Reading is a really active thing in most cases. The amount of memorization and thought just to fix the novel in your mind takes more work than most games.
>>
>>338906630
both of them you are just 'pressing buttons'

obviously to be a master pianist takes considerably more time but you're kinda dumb if you understand things only in extremes, like that I could only mean they are equal. they're not equal but trying to say that gaming requires no skill at all is just false.
>>
>>338906737
>READING COMPREHENSION
>>
>>338905786
Without the ability to read, you can't make it through a book.
Without some button pressing skills, you won't be able to play through a game.
>>
>>338906546
Its not saying critics should make games tho
>>
>>338906820
/lit/ pls go. It takes nowhere near as much brain power to read something than to play a video game. I can literally show you CT scans of brains that prove it.
>>
>>338906325
you need to pay attention to the movie in order to enjoy it

he might be allowing his bias to dictate his wording but the first part of this point is true
>>
>>338906546

Didn't realize video game reviewers actually made the games they review!

You learn something new everyday!
>>
>>338906879
Not if you have an older brother who does the hard parts for you.
>>
>>338906879
You can fully understand all there is to a book by having someone read it for you, even if you are illiterate.
>>
How do you understand literature if you can't read it? Someone reads you it? Then that would be akin to watching people play videogames and not playing them themselves
>>
>>338906106
>You need skills to have fun.
That's ultimately dependent on a game-to-game basis.

>>338906610
I'd argue that water is moist.
>>
File: 1463043882625.png (283 KB, 512x384) Image search: [Google]
1463043882625.png
283 KB, 512x384
>>338906546
>You need to have taste buds to understand food
>>
>>338906546
The article isn't demanding reviewers to be computer programmers and artists.
>>
>>338906546
Would you deny that someone who knows how to cook understands food more than you?

>inb4 validity of food analogy
You bring up a good point with regards to gaming skill and their ability to adequately critique a game.

Would you trust someone who doesn't cook to tell you what to eat with the same authority as someone who does? Likewise, would you trust someone who doesn't know how to play to tell you what is good with the same authority as someone who is more skilled?
>>
File: 1451271210664.jpg (225 KB, 800x533) Image search: [Google]
1451271210664.jpg
225 KB, 800x533
>>338905786
>suck at games
>play 'hard' game
>suck at it
>complain it's bad

>be good at games
>play 'hard' game
>have fun

Seems fine to me.
>>
>all these dumbasses with zero reading comprehension

People weren't kidding when they said /v/ is full of underaged little shits.
>>
There's been a lot of articles shitting on hardcore gamers. Are they just salty?
>>
>>338905786
>reading
>habit
>gaming
>skill

Why do they always say a video game with skill involved is the same as reading a book?

>read book
>get story
>play game
>match only ends with whomever are better than each other or use strategy
>skill and strategy skills don't change reading skills
>OH I GET THAT METAPHOR
>OH I GET THAT EUPHANISM

kill yourselves lit fags.
You actually have to have twitch skills and reaction speeds to be good at fucking video games.
Just give up, we'll always be more skilled then you boat whales who sit and read and go like, "oh i sit for hours reading and I'm better than you nerds who actually interact with your medium"

I'm LMAOing at your lives right now.
>>
>>338906106
I don't think I've ever been aroused by the difficulty of a game.
>>
>>338906961
>CT scans
you sound like someone who believes theyre being reasonable but you aren't.

I'm not defending /lit/ and i don't post there but cmon just because a scan shows that there are many active regions in the brain does not mean that someone isn't thinking harder, say, more acutely and focused when reading a book.

when was the last time you read a book, anon?

cause it definitely feels mentally much more exhausting, despite whatever CT scans you have to 'prove' your point.

if you wanna go by brain activity why dont you go take some LSD that really makes your brain active. but is that a good thing and does it mean what you want it to mean?
>>
>>338907064
>That's ultimately dependent on a game-to-game basis.

No it isn't

If you know how to play a game, you aren't going to die in a game, if you don't die you keep progressing and have fun

If you're a retard, you're going to die in a game and get stuck until you understand what the hell you're doing wrong.
>>
I'm assuming he's talking about the casual "storytelling" modes in AAA games? As in, someone who plays Bioshock on Easy has the same experience as someone who plays on Hard? And that it's in no way a bad thing to play on the easiest setting?

'Reading' doesn't make any sense. Does he mean comprehension or speed? Because without reading comprehension, you are objectively getting less out of the reading experience. A middle schooler might sound out the words but they wouldn't understand it.
>>
>>338906195
>>338906162
Wait, what did they do?
>>
FOOD
O
O
D

ANALOGIES
>>
>>338905786
Well duh it's fucking common sense. Frustrating things are not fun, a board game missing its rules won't be much fun.

Reviewers have hidden behind the "duuurrrrrr have to carelessly rush through games cause we need to provide timely content" excuse for too long.
>>
>>338906305
>>338906630
Combo based fighting games always came off to me as two pianists furiously playing music at each other, while changing the notes they play in response to the other pianists actions

i swear mozart has nothing on 1 frame links
>>
>>338907190
>just because a scan shows that there are many active regions in the brain does not mean that someone isn't thinking harder

That's EXACTLY what this means. Most video games have a story too, listening to NPC dialogue and understanding the story in a game takes about as much as reading a book, but then a video game has other things to do.
>>
>>338906546
Cool food analogy, but it would take some experience cooking and food tasting to understand why something tastes good or why it doesn't. The OP article implicates that reading comprehension is necessary for understanding literature, so it's safe to assume that you'd understand cooking much easier if you're better at cooking.

YES, a lot of critics are vastly opinionated or dominated by century old ideals, but would you rather hear an opinion from someone who just eats barbecue all day or someone who spends years perfecting their grilling techniques and spice rubs?
>>
File: 8790.png (31 KB, 359x363) Image search: [Google]
8790.png
31 KB, 359x363
>>338906630
>>
>>338907257
Not if its a really easy game. Or a game that isn't dependent on living and dying or winning and losing. Like Harvest Moon or something.
>>
>>338906630 (You)
>>
File: 1433522214587.gif (422 KB, 500x255) Image search: [Google]
1433522214587.gif
422 KB, 500x255
>>338906106
No wonder I usually only feel apathetic or anxious while playing games
>>
>>338907190
> mentally exhausting

nigga everyone on here is reading regularly on a daily basis - reading is not mentally exhausting unless maybe youre studying at which point you need to be able to examine and then demonstrate your ability to comprehend what your read which is even more taxing on the mind that "just reading"
>>
>>338907352
>monkey press buttons fast!!!

""""skill"""
>>
>>338906325
It doesn't take so much of mechanical skill to figure out a movie plot. A lot of it is just character prediction and a basic understanding of what actually happened.. and at most linguistic callback to catch how the lines actually gave away the plot previously or whatever. But "movie skill", whatever the definition, isn't required at all to enjoy the movie. So, that's an awful example and so is..

>Just like you could experience a book just by looking at the letters, even if you don't know what they mean.

Like.. is this a joke? The most fun I ever had where I couldn't read was the wonderment. That's it.

So, fuck this post.
>>
>>338907352
>i swear mozart has nothing on 1 frame links

Fucking please.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=daVftrhHyTM
>>
>>338907019
You just explained let's plays and streaming in general.
>>
>>338907272
Be amazed: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yYp8ZeQ-I8

also in response the usual kotaku/polygon pieces saying dark souls 3 should have an easy mode and uncharted should have cinematic mode - same shit different day
>>
>>338905786
A bit. I would say appreciate more than understand.
>>
>>338907156
Thats a real fine bait, real fine bait.

But honestly understanding the plot is nothing to literative analysis, and it is not as simple as identifying literary techniques, but moreso how the application of those techniques enhances or in some cases diminishes the themes of the story. But you know this, anon.
>>
>>338907169
Should get some bhuddism in your life. Not all arousal is sexual. Arousal is just the coming up of something.. energy or "arousing" a state of mind.
>>
>>338907372
>neuron activity is how hard someone is thinking
Top kek. It's good to know that people are only at their prime during seizures.

To see why that argument is bullshit, think about how computers work. Just because the GPU is idling doesn't mean your computer isn't maxed out doing some other kind of computation. Hopefully it just means the GPU is useless for those computations.
>>
>>338907508
see >>338907501
>>
>>338907169
Filthy casual.
>>
>>338907536
yea but let's play watchers dont generate the skills required to play the game well

all they get is the story and a feeling of belonging with the player
>>
>>338906546
They should never have removed analogies from the SATs.
>>
>>338907587
>But you know this, anon.

I doubt it, he probably is that stupid

I love how we can have OPs like this one, which arguably makes a really good point, which anywhere else might involve civilized discussion, but here we literally get nothing but shitposting
>>
>>338907372
No, not quite.

Do you actually go to graduate school for this kind of thing because while it does show activity it does not necessarily reflect physiological duress.

Say for example you have person A playing a game using lots of their brain, but not really stressing it very much.

Person B is reading a book, they may not be using AS many parts of their brain.. but the parts they are using they are using very very much, therefore they are thinking harder in that context.

Do you get what im saying? Quality vs quantity almost.

brains are activated a lot by video games because they are designed (like the skinner box) to excite you.

books aren't necessarily designed to excite you in the same way, but that doesn't mean they require less brain effort.

Reading a book is like turning on a very bright light
Playing a game is more like turning on all the lights, but they are dimmer.
Still don't understand what I mean?

I'm not an expert but I think this is a fair analogy.
>>
>>338907156

Dude, he means that if you don't even know your ABC's, you cannot review books. Same as how if you can't play games, you can't review them. He's making your point you dumb ass.

Trusting Polygon for game reviews at this point is now like trusting Bubba to review 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea.
>>
>>338907664
See what?
>>
>>338907131
/thread
>>
I don't think you need to be able to do a no-death run on dante must die mode or some shit in order to review video games but if you can't beat a game on at least normal, preferably hard (if it's something like a platinum game where it actually changes things and isn't just "more health on enemies/less damage from you"), then you shouldn't discuss it as a reviewer.
>>
>>338905786
Forbes is truly based and the only written vidya media that matters.
>>
>>338907464
>reading is not mentally exhausting
I do get tired after reading for a few hours, though that might have something to do with the lack of movement and my armchair being too comfy.
>>
>>338907865

>if you can't make a complicated burger you shouldn't review burgers

okay
>>
>>338907464
I don't know about you but when I read a book I get tired in 20 minutes.

I can read on the internet all day.

Something is different though I can't tell you what.
>>
>>338907751
If someone reads you a book you dont instantly learn to read either, you just get the story
>>
>>338907257
What I meant by that is that some games require more or less skill to "have fun" in them, and in very specific scenarios, some games become less fun the more skill you have in them (specifically, the fun is found in being terrible at them)

Like Kirby and Dark Souls for games requiring less or more skill, respectively.
Even though it's a meme game, Octodad is a game that loses whatever little charm it has when you eventually become competent at controlling the character.
>>
>>338906305
>Ordinarily 3 buttons at most in any combat vs. 88 keys
It's also not required to "read combat" like sheet music. You just press the buttons as you need them. But this also defers back to the whole learning 88 keys, and up to 10 simultaneously and intermittently. Plus a pedal and crescendos/diminuendos.

What an awful analogy.
>>
File: The-brain-map-1031256[1].png (60 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
The-brain-map-1031256[1].png
60 KB, 500x375
>>338907771
i disagree only on the part of your idea that reading is more mind taxing than videogaming

examine this diagram

a very small part of the brain is used to interpret written and spoken language

now compare that to the other parts that would be utilized for playing any game PLUS the same part used to interpret written and spoken language

i hope this is enough to reconsider your stance
>>
I think genuinely decent literature is entertaining on the face of it, maybe with a little effort, to genuinely intelligent/empathetic folks who can get it. Honestly, folks struggling to understand every line, are less likely to enjoy e.g. Faulkner, than folks who push through it, trusting it will come together to some extent, eventually.

Maybe there's some analogue with games, where just playing and improving naturally provides more satisfaction than a struggle, but I'm not sure. I struggled, and studied, and followed the meta in SC2 for awhile, before getting somewhat good.

I did appreciate the hell out of it after that, though.
>>
>>338906057
read the article, when he said that reading necessary to understand literature he really meant it
>"Overlooking the obvious fact that if you are writing about or even making games for a living then having at least a competent level of gaming skill is necessary, much in the same way being able to read is important if you want to comprehend literature."
but he means it more in the way that you need it to create something of that medium, like you need to be a skilled gamer in order to create them in the same way that you need to be able to read in order to write a book

the whole article is based around that doom demo where one of the staff couldn't even play the game properly
that this is a result of publishers who think that you don't need to be a skilled gamer in order to fully enjoy a game because they themselves can't play games
and in a way i think he's right
>>
>>338905786
>I write about video games and pop culture from Japan
opinion discarded.
>>
You can enjoy a game, even if you only play the most casual of modes.
You can enjoy reading books, even if you only read picture books.
You can enjoy eating, even if you can only cook ramen.

However this changes when you are expected to reviewing a product, your opinions only carry as much weight as your credibility. When reviewing a game, its important that you have the ability to play games competently. Not everyone can pick up a game and immediately adjust to it, however with enough experience, you should be able to adjust to most games quickly. If you are a video game reviewer/blogger/journalist, what ever you want to call yourself, you should already this ability.

These journalists/bloggers/reviewers are often is such competition with each other to get the first look out, that they will often play on the easiest mode or use in game cheat items to progress through the game. Look at TPP first batch of reviews, almost everyone played with the chicken mask to get to the end of the story quickly.

I actually imagine that these guys don't like playing video games that much more and keep doing so as a job, so they allow themselves to get rusty and there basic skills as a gamer regress.
>>
>>338907998
More like if you only choose to eat shitty McDonald's burgers you shouldn't be reviewing burgers from 5 star chefs
>>
>>338906104
>They're
it's a hosted blog post.
>>
>>338907998

Creating something is not the same as ingesting something.

If you're gonna do a food analogy it'd be more accurate to say that if you're the kind of idiot that will shovel a full burger in your mouth at once, start choking or gagging, and then blame the burger for the dumb thing you did, you shouldn't be a food critic.
>>
>>338906778
depends on your definition of "effective"
remember, clicks equals dollars, therefore most of the time clickbait is more effective.
>>
Any pleb can finish Generic Cinematic Action "Game" #2323 game

Not everyone can read and comprehend literature

So, no. Fucking shit comparison, and you're shit for agreeing with it
>>
>>338908228

and they're always right, iirc a lot of the forbes posts were right about the mass effect 3 debacle, most of them are not afraid to post the truth
>>
>>338908224

>if you can't taste the difference between a 5 star chef burger and a mcdonalds burger you should never review burgers ever

okay

>>338908241

>you can only make food analogies that I AGREE WITH! reeeee

okay
>>
>>338906812
...but...thats true.

OWAITB8 AMIRITE?
fuck off, faggot.
>>
>>338908324
Any pleb can finish Twilight

Not everyone can finish Space Chem.
>>
>>338908123
>difficulty of something is based on how many calories you burn thinking about it
Top Kek. Now you're going to start posting phrenology diagrams huh?
>>
>>338908314
oh i was just assuming the title was meant to accurately summarize the content of the article and forbes seems like they at least deserve some credit based on their reputation
>>
>>338908360
Yes, basically.
>>
>>338905786

well it is true you reading is necessary to understand literature
>>
>>338907998
>Food analogy
Even then, how is MAKING compared to PLAYING? You don't need to be able to make a game in order to be proficient at it.
>>
>>338907753
Underrated post
>>
>>338907998
>if you can't even eat burgers you shouldn't review burgers
more like
>>
>>338908052
And Octodad applies directly to the cart anon posted, The bordom stage of not being difficult and requiring small amounts of skill to get there.
>>
>>338908559

>you can't make food analogies

okay

>>338908617

okay
>>
>>338908324
We wouldn't be seeing this thread if that was true.

You know that this shit is coming up because some faggot at Polygon reviewed Doom despite not knowing how to operate a game camera?
>>
>>338908705

>if you can't change the position of a burger you can't review it

okay
>>
>>338905786
I think it makes sense and I agree, unless there's some hidden meaning I've missed.

Am I meant to get offendded because some faggot has a shit opinion for the sake of starting controversy #bettertakeascreenshot?
>>
>>338908427
should i? a player has to interpret sight and sound and then produce an appropriate physical response and or input in order to accomplish a goal

i would think that would be a bit more taxing

since the same part of the brain interprets written and spoken language it can be reasonably assumed that listening to an audiobook is just as mind taxing as reading a book and quite frankly listening isnt something that i would consider mind taxing unless im distracted and cant focus
>>
>>338908171

Doom is a fps, unless you never played a fps before, I don't see how anyone can be that bad at a game. FPS have been the dominate genre for a long time, I find it impossible that they picked some guy to review a game who hadn't played a couple of fps games. Even if they did, why would they? Its like asking someone to play Dark Souls 3, even if they never played a 3d action adventure game.

To me it just sounds like massive incompetence on all levels.
>>
>>338908324
Not every pleb can compete in a multiplayer-focused game, though, with a clear ranking system to show where they stand. It's much easier to make your way through The Sound and the Fury. Which is a bit overrated, imho. As I Lay Dying, is far the more humorous, entertaining, angering, and gut-punching work. If you don't hate Faulkner at the end--at least a little-you may have no soul.
>>
>>338908324
>Any pleb
Yeah, call your grandma over and asks her to play Uncharted 4.
I bet you everything you have that she can't finish the game without given an extremely long length of time.
Especially not within the timespan of few hours that usually a "reviewer" spent on a game.
>>
File: jotaro laugh.gif (90 KB, 322x324) Image search: [Google]
jotaro laugh.gif
90 KB, 322x324
>>338907753
>>
File: 200_s.gif (23 KB, 301x200) Image search: [Google]
200_s.gif
23 KB, 301x200
>>338905786

I think it's objectively true. For example: consider a game that is difficult enough for a specific user such that it keeps this user from progressing any substantial amount into the game. This gamer will miss out on most of the game-play including mechanics that may be revealed, story progression, and game content like later levels and music, etc.

This gamer can make very little argument for the idea that they have experienced this game - that is to say, the entire game - since all their experience comes from a small portion. You can state that their experience is still valid, because it is their true and honest interpretation of the experience that they got from playing a small portion of the game, and their experience is just as valid as anyone else's - it just happens to be less successful or complete.

The problem with this is that a game is a known quantity - the content is finite and exactly specified, thus we can always judge a gamer's experience as a percentage of the entire experience. This is a trait unique to gaming: in all other mediums, it is always the user that judges the content. In gaming, the content gets to judge the user right back, and all other users get to judge each other based on this performance.

Thus, while the example gamer's opinion is valid, it's not as valid as the opinion of a gamer who has experienced more of the game. In gaming it seems that in order to have an opinion that matters, you have to do a very important thing:

Git Gud.
>>
>>338907508
Man, fuck Flight of the Bumblebee. Whenever I watch people play it, I always get depressed that I will never be that good at my instrument of choice.
>>
>>338908781
If you can't say anything but okay, it's considered an argument
Okay
>>
>>338905786
They're right. Would you value someone's opinion on The Lord of the Rings novels if they were illiterate or just never read them? Obviously not, so why should anyone value a game reviewer's opinion if they can't play the game?
>>
>>338908807
it's about the new doom
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3pQ0oO_cDE
>>
>>338908904

>if you think burgers are okay you can't review burgers

okay
>>
>>338907169
I don't know about you but that underwater mech level in Jak II makes me cum harder than anything.
>>
>>338908793
>video games are harder than theoretical physics
>you have to dispatch muscle twitches in your fingers
Keep posting.
>>
>>338908936

>"Hey dude this burger is pretty good, I only took one bite but it tasted good!"
>YOU DIDN'T EAT THE WHOLE BURGER I DON'T TRUST YOUR OPINION LALALALALA
>>
>>338905786

Reading skill =/= Literature knowledge
>>
>>338908973
>If you can't even fit the burger in your mouth you should be able to comment on the taste and quality
Okay
>>
>>338908990
we arent talking about theoretical physics imbecile

it's reading LITERATURE (book meant for entertainment) versus playing a game

dont you have school tomorrow?
>>
File: fLuyzuc.jpg (142 KB, 740x740) Image search: [Google]
fLuyzuc.jpg
142 KB, 740x740
>>338909057
>missing the point
>food analogy

Do you actually have anything to say or are you just here to shitpost?
>>
>>338907771
>Say for example you have person A playing a game using lots of their brain, but not really stressing it very much.
I remember reading somewhere that videogames make for a terrible hobby, because vidya, especially the difficult ones, cause you to accumulate mental fatigue instead of relieving it.
>>
>>338909147

>if a burger isn't a book you can't play physics

okay
>>
>>338909071
you can't get the full experience of literature without being able to read.
>>
You lost me at
>>338908195
>You can enjoy a game, even if you only play the most casual of modes.

Fuck you, there is no way I can any game on easiest of modes.
Fuck you.
>>
>>338909197

Shitpost, although I agree with your last post 100%.
>>
>>338909240
it's like the goat doors game show all over again
>>
>>338909057
Wrong analogy.
More like
>Alright, how do i eat this burger?
>It seems abit dry, let me soak them in water before eating it
>Yuck! I never ate shit worse than this!
>>
>>338907508
She must give one hell of a handjob.
>>
>>338909252
I can see it now.
Someone illiterate picking up Lord of the rings and going
"Man those sentences were pretty neat. But the story didn't make any sense at all. 4/10 is the best I can give it"
>>
>>338909147
Fine.

Reading theoretical physics papers is harder than playing video games, despite video games firing more neurons.
>>
>>338909329

Games shouldn't be hard they should be fun

>"hey dude let's play connect 4"
>"BTW U HAVE A HP BAR AND IF U DON'T DODGE THE KNIVES I'M THROWING AT U YA CAN'T HAVE A TURN AND BTW THERE'S FIRE ON THE BOARD BE SURE TO DODGE!"

no thanks
>>
>>338908671

>replying to everything with "okay"

truly the sign of someone who knows they're in the wrong but just has to get that last word in
>>
File: 1442630241741.png (34 KB, 544x544) Image search: [Google]
1442630241741.png
34 KB, 544x544
>>338907418
>that filename
did something happened to him that I wasn't aware of?
>>
>>338909406

Theoretically, it's easier.

>>338909508

okay
>>
>>338909478
>hard isn't fun

I'll register you as a Retard.
>>
>>338909478
Games can be hard if that's how you have fun. If you don't like those kinds of games, don't play them. Some people enjoy overcoming a challenge.
>>
>>338909406
i can read a physics paper but i most likely cant understand it and i may end up just giving up in frustration of trying

then again ive never tried

still it would be harder to apply what was read in those papers than just understanding them
>>
>>338909478
There's a market for both. Your analogy is flawed.
There are board games with rulebook as thick as a dictionary and there's connect 4.
Why can't both casual games and hardcore games coexist?
If your reviewer sucks fucking dick at videogames have him review whatever walking simulator SJWs shit out instead of a fast paced (for today's standards) shooters
>>
File: 142144407824.jpg (38 KB, 594x441) Image search: [Google]
142144407824.jpg
38 KB, 594x441
>>338909478
More like:

>"Hey dude, you wanna play connect 4?"
>"LMAO LIKE I'M SOME TRYHARD AUTIST LIKE YOU! Lets play connect 2 instead, I go first :)"
>>
>>338909594
>Hard is fun
Maybe you should try eye folding and handcuffing yourself when you are playing with your toes.
Oh, don't forget to turn off the sounds too, the harder, the more fun!
>>
>>338909406
I know you're just baiting for fun but I'm sure there are legit people out there who believe this.

>I'm lazy but actually super intelligent
>Video games are better than sports because they require actual thinking
>I play video games all the time to train my brain to think faster
>I can't wait for the future when everyone is hooking into machines since my brain will be so much faster because of video games, then I'll be better then everyone else

all shit I've heard from friends before. what a fantasy world to live in.
>>
>>338909710
>>338909686
>>338909628
>>338909594

Sorry but I have lead you all in to falsely believing what I said was in good faith when in reality it was merely me pretending to be retarded haha :^)
>>
>>338909719
that's just masochism

challenge is what most players want but feel they dont get with modern games
>>
>>338909719
>make up a fake mode
>not a mode where you react faster to dodge heavy hitting moves
>no those losers who like hard difficulty want black screen mode with no sound

Fuck off
>>
>>338905786
Fucking stupid how are you going to be good at a new game you know nothing about yet.
>>
>>338909939
Do you really need to relearn how to use a damn controller for every new game you play? It's a fps, it's not like the person has never played a fps befo...oh.
>>
>>338909864
Play competitive ranked games. There's no greater challenge. Other people are the greatest challenge you'll face, on a fair playing-field. AI can only cheat to compete.
>>
>Forbes, a financial magazine, has better video games >opinions than 99% of video games "journalism"
It's like pottery
>>
>>338908961

I mean even new doom, you should be able to point and shoot at this point in your life. Nothing could be more simple. The guy was playing like he could only control one arm at a time.
>>
>>338906305
come on, dude. Why did you dignify that really obvious shitpost with a response?
>>
>>338905786
this is about a 7.5/10 at the moment. keep posting the image under the pretense of debate, it works well, but some people can still see past your ruse.
>>
>>338910152
that's true but i usually dont play ranked games

games are a hobby for me and i try to keep it that way
>>
>>338910150
everything you wrote you brought up.
>>
>>338910323
Fair enough.
>>
>>338910323
>not playing ranked
Do you play fighting games by yourself too, anon?
>>
>>338905786
It's true.
>>
>>338910352
Why would someone do the review the first time they plugged the game in? At least play off camera a bit to get used to the controls. Here clearly didn't care enough to even do that
>>
>>338905786
Absolutely. any idiot can read moby dick but someone with actual reading and comprehension skill can understand it
>>
>>338907548
>removed like/dislike ratio
>disabled comments
kek, fucking despicable
>>
>>338905786
People are complaining about games because they physically prevent you from accessing more of the game if you fail to be competent at it. Books and movies lock you out in a different way, in that you can view all of it, but if you're not intelligent enough to fully understand what the book or movie is trying to convey, you won't realise that you're actually missing out on something, so you won't complain.

With this Polygon stuff, it's like a movie reviewer watching Fight Club and thinking it's just about a guy who didn't want to work and starting punching people, and gives it a low score for being a dumb movie. They're bad at their job because they don't have the skills to actually understand the movie and analyse it. Same here with Doom. They don't understand how to play it and think it's bad because of their own lack of competency.
>>
>>338910508
that's not realistic.
>>
File: 1462800394817.png (83 KB, 200x250) Image search: [Google]
1462800394817.png
83 KB, 200x250
If these gaming "journalists" thought they could inject their post-modern, entirely facile shit into our hobby, they'd better think again.

Gaming is for the dedicated. Fuck all casuals.
>>
>>338910170
If anything, Forbes is stating common gaming sense, and the real story is how the other "journalistic pieces" aren't.
>>
>>338910616
That is unfortunate. Good thing we don't have those standards in other fields
>>
>>338910719
/co/ fallen
vidya when?
>>
>>338910461
i main terry, ryu and haomaru in capcom vs snk 2

im not very good but i dont shy away from a good fight
>>
>>338910814
My point is, gaming as a hobby and playing ranked games aren't mutually exclusive. You can enjoy yourself while fulfilling both.
>>
>>338905786
Just because someone can read doesn't mean he understands what the writer wanted to say.
Same with gamers, just because you finish a game doesn't mean you can appreciate all the details or innovations that the game introduced.
>>
File: 1430537239850.jpg (35 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1430537239850.jpg
35 KB, 500x500
How do they retards still BTFO themselves when trying to defend their poor skill?

You wouldnt expect the average Harry Potter reader to like or understand or be prepared for Ulysses jsut like you wouldnt expect the average walking simualtor fan to play or like more competent, challenging games like Doom or God Hand.

As a critic, however, it is your duty to be well versed in all the genres to critiqwue them and understand them better.
>>
>>338906062
*tips*
>>
>>338907548
Dark souls only has intro and outro cutscenes. And most of the lore is either what the npc say or in item descriptions.
>>
>>338905960
This guy is actually pretty decent. Loves old robot anime and talks sense about vidya.
>>
File: 1459180193258.gif (3 MB, 430x289) Image search: [Google]
1459180193258.gif
3 MB, 430x289
>>338910987
>How do they retards still BTFO
>>
>>338910932
Yep. Same reason people who can only handle reviewing childrens stories aren't going to be taken with the same kind of seriousness as someone who can critique high level books.
>>
>>338911158
blow the fuck out, senpai.
>>
>>338910183
but which one made you want to play the game more? the one from polygon who sucked or the one from nvidia that played it like a skilled gamer
>>
>>338911158
That's actually correctly structured, though.
>>
But what does Erik Kain have to say about this?

And Forbes is actually pretty good. One of the few websites I regularly go to for video game news.
>>
>>338906546

you really do though

only after i started cooking was i able to really identify and appreciate the flavours that come from different herbs/spices/oils/cooking techniques
>>
>>338909071
>neglect to read the article or have no reading comprehension to parse what it is saying
>lacking this much self awareness
>>
>>338911406
I can't go there. Even with my ad blocker removed, and all JavaScript enabled I still get the "please support us by removing your ad blocker". So I just stopped going entirely
>>
>>338910183
Hence the issue. Mister "moving ans shooting at the same time is too hard" is a professional game reviewer. tell me what is wrong with that sentence.
>>
>>338905786
So, absofuckinglutely essential?
>>
>>338911406
Erik Kain and Paul Tassi are the only two people yo ushould lsiten to about vidya on forbes, and even thgen half the time Paul's articles are just a foil to Erik's
>>
File: 090407_sftshirt.png (32 KB, 640x679) Image search: [Google]
090407_sftshirt.png
32 KB, 640x679
>>338907352
do you see something like this?
>>
>>338910183
it looked like he never played an FPS on a controller before.
>>
>>338909534
I think he hit on a 17 year old, like 4 years ago.
>>
>>338907272
They "played" Doom. People were laughing at how insanely bad they were at it so they disabled the comment system on their video. People laughed harder.

Typically, Polygon is using the "the player was a woman and people are being sexist" defense.
>>
File: 1463955125407.jpg (148 KB, 800x619) Image search: [Google]
1463955125407.jpg
148 KB, 800x619
>>338906546
Came to post this
>>
>>338911529
Paul is an idiot who cant come up with unique opinions. Eric is pretty cool though.
>>
Why are reading comprehension for people on this board so poor?
>>
>>338905786
>Gaming skills matter to gaming like how reading matters to reading books
It's true.

You can't have people who have no experience on something to consider themselves as experts of that something. They're neither qualified nor entitled to say anything because they don't know shit.

So when you have liberal arts grads writing about games, even though they have not played games of that genre to be informed enough, their output is always going to be shit. Have them write about something they're qualified for. If they have a degree in poem-writing or some faggy shit like that, let them do just that. Don't let those poemfags write about a game, because their opinions are automatically discarded by those who actually knows something about gaming.

And no, playing Candy Crush DOES NOT give any of those faggots any rights to consider themselves an expert in FPS or any other genre outside of casual mobileshit.
>>
>>338911763

What did he mean by this?
>>
>>338908352
>they're always right
the same site posted this
https://archive.is/rfMfe
>>
>>338911763
I laughed
>>
>>338911546
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0qUY2qrVcs

skip to 2:40
>>
>>338907548
This is beyond lack of skill. Whoever is playing can't even comprehend how to move properly and keeps running face first into a wall. It's like watching some toddler pick up a controller for the first time which makes me wonder how the fuck they even got that job.
>>
File: 1410524354849.jpg (173 KB, 1920x941) Image search: [Google]
1410524354849.jpg
173 KB, 1920x941
>>338907548
holy fuck who the fuck is playing this a 4 year old child?
>>
>>338907508
that shit is sped up. you can even tell based on the audience movements.
>>
>>338908901
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SBI98fy2tA0
>>
>>338909710
Connect 2 is way more unforgiving than Connect 4 you fucking retard.
>>
>>338908807
Watch ElPresador on youtube; he's probably played a ton of CoD based on how many vids he has, and even mentions playing numerous games, yet he's hilariously terrible at the game and fails to grasp even the most fundamental concepts of an online FPS.
If he reviewed a game, it'd probably get the same shock-reaction. Doesn't matter how much experience you have in a genre -- if you don't get better, you're still bad.
>>
>>338913059
it's also half as complex, wouldn't expect a sub-80 IQ shitposter like yourself to notice that though
>>
>>338913338
You're a fucking idiot you know that? You have literally half the amount of moves to make meaning you also are only able to make half the amount of mistakes you'd make in Connect 4. Unless you actually played in a world Connect 2 tournament you don't know what in the FUCK you're talking about and absolutely need to kill yourself immediately before you reproduce and doom humanity. I'm figuratively screaming right now over how incredibly stupid and uninformed your post is right now it's that fucking dumb.
>>
>>338914115
fucking kek
>>
File: Untitled.png (17 KB, 641x480) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
17 KB, 641x480
>>338914115
It would literally just be whoever went first wins.
>>
It's true. But it's also true that you need to know Japanese to understand anime and the story in Japanese games too. Of course /v/ will not agree with that because it will make them feel inadequate though and it's easier to just shit on things you don't understand.
>>
As I read it, the article says to me 'if you're shit at a game you are not qualified to review it.'

Really it's about ethics in game reviewing.
>>
>>338915140
nobody here is a professional anime reviewer
>>
>>338911662
I think Dobson would be a perfect Polygon reviewer.
>>
>>338908171
I agree with him, but holy shit does no one proofread these? For a group that's supposedly made of English majors, journos have some real readability issues.

>Overlooking the obvious fact that if you are writing about or even making games for a living then having at least a competent level of gaming skill is necessary, much in the same way being able to read is important if you want to comprehend literature.

That's just a fucking prepositional phrase! The damn sentence is a fragment, aren't you supposed to be taught that in middle school?
>>
>>338906497
Partially.

But it's necessary to have some publications that print "water is wet" when other parts of the media will print "water is xyz" for their own narrative.
>>
>>338906162
>8.5
>bad score
>>
File: umarus_home.png (594 KB, 878x900) Image search: [Google]
umarus_home.png
594 KB, 878x900
>>338906546
>>
File: Gintoki-paako.jpg (90 KB, 480x359) Image search: [Google]
Gintoki-paako.jpg
90 KB, 480x359
>>338906546
>you need to be able to cook to enjoy cooking
>>
File: absolutely 2016.png (148 KB, 500x427) Image search: [Google]
absolutely 2016.png
148 KB, 500x427
>>338905786
This should go without saying and we really shouldn't need articles to reiterate this shit. Unfortunately it's [CURRENT YEAR].
>>
I mean, having a basic comprehension should be obviously required.

But people will use this to bolster the "you can't criticize a game unless you're sponsored and one of the best players in the world" at it.

The skills that help out with video games are mostly entirely hereditary anyways so I really don't like people who say "you have to be this good at a video game to criticize it in any way."
>>
>>338909329
He said you can, not that you would.
>>
>>338906389
If you try to just passively soak up entertainment of a book you'll be finished it and have no memory of what you just read

There's a reason that people say they can "read at X level" because it's much harder to read táin bó cúailnge than it is to read a spiderman comic
>>
>>338905786
does anyone have the casual reader comic from like 4 years ago
>>
>>338911869
Ok
>>
File: TbmJVKB.jpg (416 KB, 2560x1440) Image search: [Google]
TbmJVKB.jpg
416 KB, 2560x1440
>>338905786
Whoa, it's almost like knowledge of a thing is a prerequisite to appreciating a thing.
>>
>>338907548

>pieces saying dark souls 3 should have an easy mode and uncharted should have cinematic mode - same shit different day

I don't think it should be enforced, but would it take away from the base game if these features were added? I don't think that's unfair to say.
>>
>>338919572
> would it take away from the base game if these features were added?
Uncharted not so much, it really wants to be a cinematic experience and I think it does a pretty good job at it for what it is but I'd also say that having it play itself would mess up what bit of gameplay there is there. Would be okay for replays if you didn't like the game I guess

Dark Souls it would harm the game a fair amount because the gameplay is the content and the focus, not the amount of story it provides up front. It's made more to piece things together if you're interested and to go around fighting the enemies and such.
>>
>>338911023
edgy/10
>>
>>338919839
accidentally left tripfag on
> It's made more to piece things together if you're interested and to go around fighting the enemies and such.

I agree with you entirely, I personally see Dark Soul's value as resting solely in its difficulty and challenge. I don't even know what the fuck is going on in the story.

But if Dark Souls 4 comes out and includes an OPTIONAL easy mode (not at the expense of anything else), /v/ would throw a fit. But would they be right too? What's the argument against it?
>>
>>338906162
I hate them, but didn't they give it an 8.5?

Is that 'bad' to you?
>>
>>338911128
stfu

/v/ always says this dumbass shit "This guy is actually pretty good, because he parroted the hivemind once" meanwhile, next article by "alright journalist" on the next episode: Why I am a feminist and men to shut up.

/v/ has done this a journalist from nearly every site "THEY'RE ONE OF THE GOOD ONES!" and every time the journalist has pulled faggy shit, like Erik Kain. I mean fuck, /v/ donated thousands of dollars to self proclaimed extreme feminists with the vivienne bullshit, they GAVE PEOPLE WHO HATE VIDEO GAMES THOUSANDS AND THEY LINED THEIR POCKETS WITH IT

>he's one of duh good ones
>>
>>338920079
It would split the community pretty hard and there would be even more bad blood between everyone.

It would also probably be a big mess on conversations between one another since the difficulty changes would obviously set others off.

It wouldn't be just /v/ that gets mad either, I would say the entire community would lash out.

Would they be right to? I guess it depends on the circumstances around why there's an easy mode.

Arguments against it would mostly be the community split and having to specify what difficulty you're playing on if you're having problems and such.
Don't forget the shitposting
>>
>>338919572
With Dark Souls yeah. Mechanically, it's like a pseudo-MMO. Persistent multiplayer mechanics mean that difficulty options lead to an uneven playing field.

On a more abstract level, a lot of the game's atmosphere comes from being seemingly unforgiving, so concessions to worse players goes against the game's basic philosophy. Some difficulty makes it satisfying, enforces mastery through repetition, and binds the community in a feeling of "us vs. the game." If you can achieve equivalent results by toggling an option instead of playing smarter, then there's no integrity to the challenge.
>>
>>338906546
You need to eat to truly appreciate food

Polygon playing Doom was the equivalent of a retard trying to shallow a chicken whole without cutting it up and/or chewing it.
>>
>>338920515
Forgot another HUGE reason for the difficulty split being bad:
The multiplayer.

Can't really think of a good way to make it work without literally splitting the community.

Unless it turns off multiplayer by picking Easy, but then it becomes harder for people who aren't good at games because they can't get help.

You can't really have two different difficulty modes without a sacrifice on one side.

>Easy mode has no online
>Easy mode players feel like they are treated unfairly, backlash
>Easy mode has access to online
>Normal mode players will feel they are playing at a disadvantage while easy mode will get used to speedrun through content to get whatever weapon/spells they want for early on builds
>Twinking easier as a result
>>
>>338907548
Assuming this isn't a woman, what kind of 20-30 something guy can't play a fucking FPS game at even a basic level? CoD, BF, CS, and Halo have been mainstream for years now, and THIS is the best that Polygon can manage.
>>
>>338920935
The thing is, online is already a huge easy mode

Sure there's invasions, but how often will an invader dispatch the host, 2 phantoms he's summoned, and a blue sentinel/blade of darkmoon that happened to be summoned at the time?

And when the host + 2 summons get to the boss the host can just sit back, maybe toss a few spells at it, and watch the phantoms kill the boss while it's ai breaks because it can't deal with 2 enemies, and progress. While the summons get the souls they wanted and go right back to it with for the next guy
>>
I don't think so.

I understand Starcraft quite well, but I'm fucking terrible at it, I understand DotA quite well but I'm fucking terrible at it, I can tell you fucking everything about Street Fighter III and IV, but I'm fucking terrible at it.

It also depends on what part of the games you are reviewing, you can criticize and review character design or narrative without playing the game for example.

I think this may be the case when talking about game-feel, for example, I can't really explain why Project Brutality/Brutal Doom feel so much better to play than Doom 4 and probably level design and such, but I think there is plenty you can talk about with game without actually being competent at them.
>>
>>338921305
That is another thing to note, online access already makes it pretty easy.

So having an actual easy mode will probably not change very much in the end besides splitting the community over the idea of easy mode and the people who are for or against it, it's probably better to just not have it.

It will do more harm in the end than good no matter how it's implemented.
>>
>>338906546
>you have to work at subway to make subway analogies
>>
It is entirely possible to be a fine game reviewer and be shit at games. It is entirely fine to be a hardcore gamer and be shit at games (though you'd think experience would mean you improve). Few key factors
>Reviewer needs to acknowledge his own failings
>Reviewer needs to know not to accuse game of something that is own fault
>Reviewer needs to understand not every game is intended to be enjoyed by casuals

Totalbiscuit is good for this, he doesn't review intense Paradox games for example cause he knows he is too stupid to pay attention. It's not his genre. He is mediocre at most games but still manages to give good reviews.
>>
>>338920515
they can do what those hardware review sites do and just post their test method

i mean all game reviewers have to do is post what circumstances they play it under in a few sentences

it's not hard
>>
>>338921336
skill incorporate motor function in it's definition
>>
>>338908352
>>338911907
Destroyed.
>>
>>338906497
It should be. But in the last few days there have actually been articles defending the abomination that is the polygon doom video.
>>
>>338921305
I'd be pretty pissed as an invader if the enemies, the only advantage I can really leverage, stopped being a factor after invading some gank squad in easy mode. I'd also be pretty pissed getting invaded by some twink who grabbed end game gear out of a trivial difficulty.

It's just a terrible idea in a game that plays out like a pseudo-MMO.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 42

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.