[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do you agree that short matches are better than big ones in multiplayer
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 6
File: overwatchmatchtimes.jpg (57 KB, 1001x159) Image search: [Google]
overwatchmatchtimes.jpg
57 KB, 1001x159
Do you agree that short matches are better than big ones in multiplayer games, /v/?
>>
>>338394836
I do, because if you're getting shit on, it's more bearable.
Blowing a team out fast feels good too.
>>
>What's better wasting more or less of your time

what do you think OP
>>
Personally, yes
Even if I have hours to spare, matches that take more than 15 minutes are not really bearable
5-10 minutes is ideal
>>
>>338394997

You're not being forced to play a game, though. If you think it's a waste of time you shouldn't play it.

Also,

>he only has fun when on the winning team

Get out.
>>
Both can be fine.
>>
the game doesnt have enough depth to warrant longer matches
>>
>>338394836
Depends entirely on the game and the pacing. Imagine 20 minute games of Rocket League while you're losing 25-0 with 8 minutes left. So much fun.
>>
>>338394836
normally fast matches are better but when I play battlefield I always prefer conquest large with a high ticket rate, shit can turn around that way
>>
>>338394836
I like games that have options for both
>>
>>338394836
DotA ruined my first year at university with its 1h matches; but on the other hand it was pretty fun and the duration probably had something to do with that.
This should be the general rule, just have match durations that seem the most fun to playtesters with infinite time on their hands.
>>
Yeah, they make shitty teams bearable. Imagine a 30 min match where you're getting stomped instead of 7 min
>>
>>338394836
youtube has ruined my attention span, and I digest all my media in 10-20 minute increments now. The short matches, coupled with how fast a new one comes around is a plus for me.
>>
>>338395114
I have had way more fun with 5-10 minutes matches in rocket league than I ever had when losing/winning in league of legions 30-1 hour matches.

Playing multiple matches in 30 minutes is way better than playing 1 in a hour
>>
>>338394836
Shorter is better. Especially the "everyone's dancing at the exit of the base waiting for the match to start" time in TF2 and Ovetwatch. That time should be exactly zero.
>>
>>338394836
How about just playing a game mode that will end quickly if it's a stomp.
>>
>>338395634
When else are you going to spray the wall/dance/emote though? Lel
>>
whynotboth.bmp
>>
It's designed for ADHD kids who can't handle losing if you spent over 10 minutes on a game.
Just like the game itself is designed for ADHD kids
>>
>>338395854
Dude im working 9-5 all day i got a wife and kids and im really happy! i dont want to have an option where i can do both i want the one that applies to me cant u understand that gamers need to stand together? fucking noob
>>
File: 1463505667254.jpg (114 KB, 1024x762) Image search: [Google]
1463505667254.jpg
114 KB, 1024x762
>You can't have both because I have a job.

I work, where can I get on this train of unwarranted self importance?
>>
Short matches are good for casuals and do absolutely no harm to hardcore players.
Everything else being casualized to hell and back and taking absolutely no fucking skill to utilize does hurt though.
>>
>>338396273
this is the only logical response, have both.
a long and short option.

It works for warframe, hardcore can stay in a match for 2 hours if they want, and casuals can stay in for 5-10 minutes.
>>
>>338394836
If games are shorter, you can just play more games. Any competition would likely play to a certain number of wins. I don't see why this is an issue. Unless the game involves some type of progression like a RTS, playing longer doesn't add anything.
>>
File: 1454627194353.jpg (37 KB, 598x462) Image search: [Google]
1454627194353.jpg
37 KB, 598x462
>planetside 2
>90+ allies and hostiles fighting over some base in fuck knows where, Hossin
>jungle everywhere, night time, fog
>all you see are flashes of light and bullet traces flying in every direction
>cant even exactly pinpoint where the enemy is exactly
>hear nothing but gunfire and explosions all around you
>tank rolls by you
>oh this will turn the ti-
>tank explodes right next to you, killing some troopers near you but leaving you alive
>trying to desperately find cover and a medic
>cant even hear your own medic callouts over the gunfire
>this goes on for 30+ minutes

I hate it but at the same time I can't get enough of it.
>>
>>338396498
>playing longer doesn't add anything
yet it does, it adds depth to players skill.

Anybody can find a cheap tactic to abuse for 10 minutes and look like they are good, but are they still good once players come up with a counter strategy?

If you don't give players time to battle it out and really see who is the better player over an extended period of time, then you end up with a game full of disgusting plebs who never have to properly develop in a competitive atmosphere.
>>
File: Animal-mother.png (167 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
Animal-mother.png
167 KB, 400x300
>>338396674
>NC scum rushing your position.
>Heavy weapons ready.

GET SOME GET SOME GET SOME GET SOME
>>
>>338394836
I like that overwatch matches are relatively short. I would however, not be opposed to a gamemode that had longer 15-25 minute matches. There's nothing wrong with having options.
>>
File: 1459808696328.gif (2 MB, 444x250) Image search: [Google]
1459808696328.gif
2 MB, 444x250
>>338396674
I wish PS2 had deeper gameplay.
I wish Project Reality was on a better engine.
>>
File: 1462894358014.jpg (12 KB, 372x248) Image search: [Google]
1462894358014.jpg
12 KB, 372x248
Am I the only one that dislikes short matches?

It feels like you really never have any chance to change the outcome of the map.
>>
>>338397026
You probably still won't lose to someone who casually plays one game and quits if you play the game competitively. Giving people options is almost always a good thing. A game that lets me play best 5 out of 7 is better than a game that makes me play best 5 out of 7.
>>
>>338394836
It's retarded and definitely noticeable in Overwatch, they tweaked the maps and matches in such ways that they can get stupidly short and you can loose most of the map just because 2-3 dudes dieds to a random lucky ult
>>
>This is like a majority of the payer-base, at least in my opinion.
That's not how it fucking works.
That's not how anything works.
>>
If the game is supposedly being marketed to wagecucks, why is it releasing on a monday?
>>
>>338394836
They have a point about being in a losing match for over 30 minutes. That will just make the losing team way more likely to leave and if the games matchmaking sucks or its a dead game, then no one will else will join and the losing team will be down players. Battlefield conquest matches are about the longest matches I'll play in a game.
>>
what was wrong with having servers and games you can drop in/out of. thats why tf2 continues to be so popular long after its prime

why did devs have to make a push towards matchmaking as the only option and locking players into 30+ minute games with penalties for leaving
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.