[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
crpg thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 15
File: xeen.png (67 KB, 512x320) Image search: [Google]
xeen.png
67 KB, 512x320
Talk about crpgs and shit. All games within the genre are welcome, be it on console or pc, first person dungeon crawler, isometric storyfaggotry, or third person arpg, made in the 80s or this year.
>>
File: png transparency.jpg (576 KB, 1889x686) Image search: [Google]
png transparency.jpg
576 KB, 1889x686
And in the meantime I'll not so subtly use this thread as a desperate attempt to get some help with this shit.

I wanted to use a custom portrait for my Underrail playthrough, but for some reason even though it was a transparent PNG, it showed up as transparent everywhere but in the game.

So I decided to make one from scratch instead of cropping, to see how that'd turn out. But I'm still not sure what's going on. Apparently the game thinks transparency is limited only to the stick figure and not the entire image, but why? What the dick am I doing wrong?
>>
I swear, crpg threads are cursed or something.

Alright, change in strategy. The anon who helps me solve this >>338393260 problem gets a copy of the game on GOG. Deal?
>>
World of Xeen is great.
>>
>>338393156
bump for storyfag games are overrated
>>
I hate crpgs.

>talk to A
>then, talk to B
>then, talk to C
>then, talk to D
>then, talk to E
>depending on your dialogue choices either go to the empire capital and talk to F, go to some town in the buttfuck of nowhere and talk to to G or go talk to B again

As exciting as watch paint dry
>>
>>338396576
It sure is. Good gameplay, amazing setting, those goddamn sprites. But really, Xeen was the best setting MM ever had, it's a shame they discarded it for Enroth. As much as I loved it, it just couldn't live up to the potential of Xeen.

Also, shame they never did another game like Swords of Xeen. Pure, concentrated insanity.
>>
File: CopperDreams.png (855 KB, 1024x576) Image search: [Google]
CopperDreams.png
855 KB, 1024x576
What does /v/ think of Copper Dreams?
>>
File: 1447294788147.png (17 KB, 100x100) Image search: [Google]
1447294788147.png
17 KB, 100x100
>>338393260
mangled up this in photoshop and it works. dunno man
>>
>>338397149
The perspective seems really fucking weird, but the developers apparently have put a lot of love and attention to detail into the game. Keeping an eye on it, definitely.
>>
What should I play first, M&M4, Diablo, or Fallout?
>>
Has there ever been a scifi crpg in the style of might & magic 4/5?
>>
>>338397149
Been following it since it was announced, I have a feeling this is going to be one of the better new rpgs. SitS wasn't really my thing, but aside from the graphics I want to make sweet love to CD. I hope they can deliver.
>>
>>338397334
The perspective is just regular isometric
>>
>>338397398
Doom RPG
>>
>>338397398
The later Wizardries, sort of?

Wiz 8 is amazing, and has got a few of your light swords, laser guns, space ships, androids etc. Not completely sci-fi, but more of a mixture.
>>
File: well that's a no go.png (374 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
well that's a no go.png
374 KB, 1024x768
>>338397323
Interesting. I wonder what causes the issue on my part.
>>
File: the plot thickens.png (376 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
the plot thickens.png
376 KB, 1024x768
>>338397919
On the other hand, this custom portrait I grabbed from the forums works just fine. Yet I can't see any difference between any of the tested pngs.
>>
File: factions.jpg (666 KB, 690x2403) Image search: [Google]
factions.jpg
666 KB, 690x2403
>>338397149
They added some lore today. Sounds pretty fun.
>>
>>338399035
I better be able to play as pic related or I will be disappointed.
>>
While it's not a CRPG, I recently played through the King's Field series and now I want to get in to more first person dungeon crawlers. I'm already setting up Ultima Underworld, what are some other must plays in the genre?
>>
>>338397149
What do you guys think of the combat system? Seems interesting and I always love aimed shots. I hope there's gore like SS when you unload point blank into someone's skull. The stealth seems nice too.
>>
File: 1446073844086.jpg (526 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1446073844086.jpg
526 KB, 1920x1080
>>338397919
Works for me.
>>
>>338399767
You mean single character with real time combat?

Arx Fatalis. I suppose you can also try the first two TES games, even Arena has pretty good dungeons. Also Battlespire. That one has one of the best character creation systems ever, a shock considering we are talking about Bethesda.
>>
>>338400039
It sounds really good on paper, but I want to see it in action first. I want to see how good is the gravity, the movement, how well the system works with wounds, and so on. This might be the first game I'm genuinely considering extensively playing during alpha testing.

As for the gore, they already commented on that a bit.
>Armor types change a character's appearance. Each potential party member you can get has a unique character model that changes with different armors. That said ,we have a very open ended inventory system that doesn't have slots and allows you to equip most items without limitations. Various smaller equipment won’t necessarily have appearance changes, or would be too small to have a visual.

>As for wounds, your party members don't actually lose limbs, (unless they have a robotic arm that currently is unequipped), but enemy deaths will visualize that. If you've rolled a high ailment amount of damage, or crit, whatever body part is hit will be blown off visually, and we have character models with separated limbs just for that reason. That's two things to hide though!

>If your characters are heavily wounded we will have various slower walk/limping animations, as well ones for being overloaded with gear. This has character movement speed hindrances as well, of course.
>>
>>338399767
Shadow Tower is fantastic, if you haven't played that one already I'd recommend it.
>>
>>338393260
You probably bungled up the layers in PS and one of them isn't being converted properly. I've that happen with GIMP.
>>
File: glitch of the year.png (375 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
glitch of the year.png
375 KB, 1024x768
>>338400107
That's it, then. I really have no idea. This is what happened when I scribbled over the one custom portrait that worked. White line out of fucking nowhere. Maybe I'll just play with a default portrait, because I don't think I can figure this out.

Thanks anyway, anon. I'd offer you that GOG copy, but I suppose you have no need for it.
>>
>>338401326
I considered that, but the one anon posted only has a single layer, and while it works for him, it doesn't for me. So dunno.
>>
>>338402020
Yeah, I posted that before seeing that the conversation had gone somewhere else.
Could you post the image that displays transparency only in certain areas? I want to have a look at it.
>>
File: test_l.png (4 KB, 100x100) Image search: [Google]
test_l.png
4 KB, 100x100
>>338402547
Sure, here it is.
>>
>>338400308
Alright, I'll check those out. It's pretty convenient of Bethesda to have the first two games free to download.

>>338400843
Yeah, that's next on my list.
>>
>>338393156
I wish I could get into those game, I played a little of Wizardry 8 and the exploration was pretty cool but I dropped it after the first dungeon.
>>
>>338401632
I'd ask for a copy of underrail but I'm on mobile at the moment.
>>
File: 14638579057853.png (4 KB, 100x100) Image search: [Google]
14638579057853.png
4 KB, 100x100
>>338402764
Does this work?
>>
>>338402860
>It's pretty convenient of Bethesda to have the first two games free to download.

It is, but I'd still suggest this version:
http://wiwiki.wiwiland.net/index.php?title=Daggerfall_:_DaggerfallSetup_EN
The one on Bethesda's site doesn't have the full soundtrack and some of the unofficial patches.
>>
File: fucking hell.png (362 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
fucking hell.png
362 KB, 1024x768
>>338403889
That one comes up as fully white. But thanks for trying and wasting your time on this shit anyway, anon. If you want that code give me a disposable email.
>>
>>338404009
Okay, thanks for the help. I should be set for a while with all these games.
>>
File: 14638579057852.png (2 KB, 100x100) Image search: [Google]
14638579057852.png
2 KB, 100x100
>>338404314
I wonder if for some reason you're having problems with partial transparencies. I've removed all alpha threshold from this one so when there's transparency it's absolute. You can check to see if it works. If it does, however, I have no idea how you can fix your problem.
Unless! Also check that on your graphics card driver you're not forcing any kinds of filters. And if you do try again a portrait that isn't the one I'm uploading right now.
And don't worry about the code, I have the game already.
>>
File: custom2_l.png (10 KB, 100x100) Image search: [Google]
custom2_l.png
10 KB, 100x100
>>338406224
Still white. I'll check my graphics card in a second, but if the problem was cause by a filter, shouldn't that universally affect every portrait? That is, if that was the case, how could this one work without problems?

Thanks, anon. You are a bro.
>>
>>338406961
>but if the problem was cause by a filter, shouldn't that universally affect every portrait?
I was banking on you having only problems with portraits with partial transparency, but since you said that the previous one doesn't work either, and also since the one you just posted works but has partial transparency, that wasn't it.
I was just throwing random ideas at it, but sadly that was my last one. If hardware filters weren't the problem I don't know what else to try.
>>
>>338407802
Ah well. Must be some weird XNA magic, at least I can't think of anything else at this point. Never had this problem in any other game.

Anyone in the thread who haven't played the game but wants to try it?
>>
>>338401632
gib GOG copy pls
>>
>>338409616
Will you play it, anon?
>>
>>338393156
>tfw no good new CRPGs
Just fuck my shit up family
>>
>>338410274
Yeah I've been meaning to play it for a while but haven't had the spare cash to buy it. I set up a temp e-mail so hopefully this works.
[email protected]
>>
>>338410565
So be it. Enjoy.
>>
>>338410789
Thanks man downloading it right now.. Can you recommend any good starter builds?
>>
>>338410887
Anything works, as long as you keep it sensible. Minmaxing is by no means necessary, but encouraged. But really, just make sure to have an idea behind your build and not be a jack of all trades. That's pretty much the only thing the game punishes HARD.

Max your main attribute, dump at least one, pick 8 skills you want to focus on for the time being. You will get 1 attribute point every 4 levels, 40 skill points on every level up, and a feat point every two levels.

If you really can't decide, go with psi. It's very versatile, pretty intuitive, and also shitloads of fun to play.
>>
>>338393156
Anybody excited for Divinity OS2? I hope they change around some of the systems like the skill system so it's less restrictive so you can play different archetypes better.
>>
>>338411709
I'll probably try psy then since I always roll small guns in Fallout.
>>
>>338412136
Cautiously optimistic. The multiplayer aspect of D:OS was one of the things I didn't like, and I'm worried that the even bigger focus on it will end up being a complete turn off for me. I really need this to be a good singleplayer experience.
>>
>>338412376
Did you play D:OS with a friend? I'm hoping the second one evokes the same feeling as playing NWN with a group of friends.
>>
>>338412469
I tried, but it was pretty hard to find the time to play together. So we kept going for a few weeks, but having to wait for each other turned out to be a pretty frustrating experience for both of us, so eventually we just switched to singleplayer. Which was kind of boring as fuck, but at least feasible to pull off. The game was just too long to keep going on like this in MP. Having to go through this with 2 more players sounds like pure insanity to me.
>>
>>338412350
In that case you have a few decisions to make.
First, you should know that psi comes with a permanent -25% max HP penalty. Keep this in mind if you want to go hybrid.

Hybrid builds are much harder to play then pure psi, and you are more or less forced to pick only one or two of the three psi disciplines. This of course doesn't mean that you can't have a back up weapon with pure psi, it is actually encouraged. It's just a genuine hybrid needs high investments that leaves little room for error.

If you go pure psi, you'll have to decide very early whether you want to play a tranquility or a psychosis build. Both are equally viable, but require a different playstyle.

Psychosis is focused on insanely high crit-damage, but comes at the cost of increased psi cost, which means you'll have to finish things fast or your reserve will dry out in a turn or two.

Tranquility on the other hand focuses on getting the most out of your turn, by playing around with lowering costs to get more spells out in a single turn. This allows you much more freedom with your strategy.
>>
>>338413486
What should my ability scores be if I want to go pure psi?
>>
>>338414271
Well, that depends. You definitely want to max WILL though.

If you go Tranquility, you can dump CON and focus on AGI for the stealth and more speed, to protect your HP and keep the Tranq bonus going. (Forgot to mention in my previous post that the Tranq bonus is tied to you having full HP). In this case investing in evasion is not a bad idea either.

For a Psych build, you might want to be able to tank and so go heavy armor and high CON, as your HP is not relevant to getting the most out of your build.

In both cases having INT 7 is recommended for some crafting, but not necessary.
>>
>>338414839
Is DEX important? And what about STR?
>>
>>338415040
Not for a pure psi. It affects some things like fishing, but eh. Also initiative, but if you go for the stealth route that isn't important, because stealth will allow you to initiate combat on your terms and thus always get o start.

STR is useless, unless you want your back up to be a sniper rifle, which requires at least 5. Dumping STR will also mean that unless you invest in lockpicking (a DEX skill), you will have a hard time opening air vents. Actually, you won't be able to open them at all until you get a specific item later in the game, and pump yourself full of STR increasing food and drugs.

You can also use this thread as a reference for fully planned build progression:
http://underrail.com/forums/index.php?topic=2162.0
>>
>>338415040
Oh, and one more thing. Dumping an attribute down to 3 will put a penalty on your skill progressions influenced by that attribute. 4-5 do nothing, and above 5 will give you an increasingly bigger bonus.
>>
>>338415928
>>338415609
Thanks I'm going for that build Wildan posted. Should I stick with just one psi skill to dump points in?
>>
>>338416338
Nope, go with all three. You can't overlevel a skill that way anyway. At character creation you can assign 15 points to a skill, and 5 more on every subsequent level. You can't go above that, so there is no point in not maxing all 3 for a pure psi. Since high WILL gives you such an insane bonus that it would be a complete waste not to use it.
>>
>>338416675
Thanks anon I hope I don't end up crippling my build just like every time I play NWN
>>
>>338417182
You are welcome, man. Don't worry, my first build was a clusterfuck and I still pulled through with relaitevly little annoyance.

About Wildan's build, I'd like to add two things that require some metagame knowldge. It invests in Hacking, but doesn't go all the way. You will find that 85 useful, but won't be able to pass all check/open everything worthwhile. The magic line for that is effective 135.

And it invests in Intimidation instead of Persuasion. This is fine, if you mainly care about combat, since Yell is a damn good skill. However if you also have some interest in the story, Persuasion opens up a few things you can't get otherwise. The highest Persuasion check in the game requires less than effective 120, possibly even a bit lower. On the other hand, it has zero use in combat. Just thought you might want to know.

And finally, some skills operate with thresholds. Which means in some cases for example a skill level of 40-44 will have the same effect, and only hit the next threshold at 45.
>>
>>338417913
I'll keep that in mind and invest in Persuasion instead.
>>
>>338418513
Have fun. Feel free to start a thread or ask questions in general rpg threads if you need help with anything.

There is a faction in the game. Don't argue with them, don't fight them, don't touch them. If they want to kill you, stay out of their way, don't get into combat unless you simply have no other choice. And do not ever, EVER kill one of them. Trust me.
>>
>>338393156
What's the best blobber to start of with? Is wizardry 8 good for newbies?
>>
>>338419517
Eh, I wouldn't recommend it as your first. Second though? Most definitely. Grimrock is probably the most new player friendly, maybe MMX too, if you don't mind tile based movement.
>>
>>338420007
Should I start with grimrock 1 or 2?
>>
>>338420268
Doesn't really matter, but 2 is the better game of the two.
Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 15

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.