[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Does anyone else think FF9 is the best in the series?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3
File: final_fantasy_ix_15.jpg (49 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
final_fantasy_ix_15.jpg
49 KB, 640x480
Does anyone else think FF9 is the best in the series?
>>
>>338387318
I did until I played 12
>>
>>338387318
Its been established for years that anyone with good taste agrees with this

FF9 by far has the most charm out of any 3D FF, and the abilities being tied to equipment gives you incentive to not just buy the best stuff and sell the rest, you really want to explore and find/buy every piece of equipment because you never know what cool ability it will have
>>
>>338387445
Agreed. The world is so whimsical and has the 'adventure' feel to it as well, not many JRPGs can pull that off as well as FF9 does
>>
>>338387318
Of course, it's a love letter to, not just the whole series, but JRPGs as a whole
>>
>>338387318
>any FF after 6
>good
Pick one.
>>
>>338387318
Is this Loss?
>>
>>338387318
I didn't like it as someone who played every one of them at release.
>>
>>338387318
i think it needs to be on the ps4
>>
V>XII>XI>III>IV>VI>VIII>IX>XIV>X>VII>XIII-2>X-2>LR>XIII
>>
>>338388579
>FF8 above FF9
Opinion disregarded
>>
>>338387318
There is only one game that is better than FF9
>>
File: 1260025413718.jpg (2 MB, 2000x1230) Image search: [Google]
1260025413718.jpg
2 MB, 2000x1230
>>338388206
FF6 isn't even the holy grail people make it out to be
The characters and music were great, but there was virtually no difficulty at any point and several game mechanics were bugged to the point of just not working right
It also started the trend of characters being largely interchangeable blobs that can all do everything.
It's still a good game despite those gripes, though.
>>
>>338387318
I still think VI is the best, but IX is a very close one.
>>
>>338388884
Only because of triple triad
>>
>>338389061
>difficulty
>in FF games
Unless you're talking about bullshit optional bosses, FF games have never been hard in the slightest
>>
the reason why its close to the very worst is the coding itself, every battle takes 15 seconds to start, and once the battle starts there is another 10 seconds of animation which you may or may not be able to turn off

this is just a relentless assault upon the patience of the player, you simply can't enjoy a game where even meaningless battles take a minimum of 1 minute each, most of which is waiting

there are other design errors as well, such as boss fights arbitrarily starting because you walked into a new screen, this never occurred in other final fantasies, you had to walk up to the boss and press A, 90+% of the time, which gave you the choice to back away and save or just leave

"steal" is a major aspect of the game, and yet bosses have nothing that is really necessary or even important

all of the characters look like little rats or freaks

I have never gotten very far into this game, I can't enjoy something when I know the designer made stupid mistakes
>>
>>338388579
>VIII above anything
>VII that low

Shit taste detected.
>>
>>338389285
There's a difference between being a fairly easy game and being completely faceroll. FF6 doesn't even have any difficult optional bosses. You can have a team of murder machines doing the damage cap 8 times a round each and the final boss only has 5 digits of HP. It's pathetic how easy it is to break that game beyond any semblance of difficulty.
>>
>>338389652
>every battle takes 15 seconds to start, and once the battle starts there is another 10 seconds of animation
Sounds just like FF7 and FF8

Sounds to me like you're ranking FF9 as almost the worst because you have literally no patience and can't handle waiting for 10 seconds before pressing another button.
>>
>>338390142
sure thats another way of saying it

because you've attributed a negative emotional tone to the subject, that must mean that I'm now incorrect?

think about the implications of your reasoning there
>>
>>338390454
What I'm saying is, you being impatient doesn't mean the entire game is bad

Its a great game from a time when loading was very much a necessity thanks to the weak console it was made for.
>>
I'm playing it now - i got to the alexandria summon fight on my ps1 back in the day but i was going to be leaving for college and half life 2 was coming out and i never finished.

So the steam version comes with some on/off boosts - hit for 9999, start all chars in trance, no encounters, MOST IMPORTANTLY DOUBLE SPEED.

I used the 9999 to grind a couple of dragons above gizamalukes grotto to get like 10 levels per char but mostly just the speed hack, its really good.

Its gorgeous, it really is fun and interesting and has a really adventurous feel. I mean, zidane looks gay as all hell and so does that white haired tranny in the belly shirt but overall pretty good stuff. It feels like a good mix of what made 7 good and what made 8 good. btw 8 wasnt awful, just broken.

honestly though, the card game in 9 is the worst thing ever. man if this game had tripple triad. shit.
>>
>>338390142
>Sounds just like FF7 and FF8
FF7 is pretty fast. Compared to FFIX, FF7 is instantaneous.
>>
>>338393165
Yeah, and when you compare FF7 to FF9 it also looks like shit and has lego people

You win some you lose some, when FF9 first came out those character models were quite nice to look at.
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.