[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How were they able to pull off such a fantastic game?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 4
How were they able to pull off such a fantastic game?
>>
By ripping off RE4 really hard.
>>
>>338374515
Is it a ripoff if it improves on it in every conceivable way?
>>
>>338374268
They started development before EA bought them.
>>
Steal everything from Resident Evil 4, including the "sever bodyparts to kill it" from the Regenerators, but make it horror instead of full of corny jokes.

>>338374845
By that line of thinking the only games on the market should be five million versions of Pac man.
>>
>>338374845
>improves on it in every conceivable way?

I mean, if you REALLY love fixing generators, then sure.
>>
>>338375436
>but make it horror instead of full of corny jokes.

Horror-comedy is literally the best genre mix though.
>>
is the second game good?
>>
>>338375791
Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm no. At least not until they make it actually funny, like Evil Dead 2 and 3.
>>
>>338375791
>>338375996
Anything-comedy done well is a 10/10 genre

Anything-comedy done poorly is a 0/10 genre
>>
People at Redwood Shores once had a meeting, and decided to make a game by ripping off as many things as possible. Rip the gameplay from RE4, the map style from Metroid Prime, the artstyle from Event Horizon, etc

>>338375883
Much more linear, the combat is much better, the pacing is better, and to this day the only game where the idea of silent-protag-went-voiced done extremely right
>>
>>338376135
Let's be fair, how many actually funny games have there been? Star Control 2, TTYD, that's basically it.
>>
>>338375996
>Implying Leon's dad-tier cornball jokes aren't fucking amazing.

Mate.

I will fight you.
>>
>>338376308

Sounds like the best from many different games and it worked out?

Name one "original" game that's provided Gameplay, Map Style and Art Style never seen before in the last 10 years
>>
>>338376404
Destroy All Humans 1&2 are funny as shit
And popular adventure games are usually comedy rather than a serious game
>>
>>338376514
Paper Please
>>
>>338376514

Loco Roco and
We love katamari
>>
>>338376474
Know that they weren't in the original japanese script. In a way it's the absolutely worst localization decision ever since it takes away all the horror from the game.
>>
>>338376308
>pacing is better.

Oh good, I might actually try DS2 then.

I liked DS1 but that game went on twice as long as deserved. Started feeling very same'y.
>>
>>338376514
Patapon.

>>338376793
Why the fuck haven't you tried DS2 yet? It's unanimously agreed to be a million times better than the first one.
>>
>>338376751
>Know that they weren't in the original japanese script.
Is that so?
>>
>>338376793
DS2 is shorter than 1 (I finished 1 on 8.5 hours, while 2 on 7 hours). There are some parts that is quite a slog, but everything is basically faster than 1.

>>338376868
>It's unanimously agreed to be a million times better than the first one.
Not really, it's the case of "one step forward, and a step backward", it's obviously better at many areas, but there's some things that are just inferior than the first (linear levels, more actiony direction)
>>
>>338376868

Fuck off, DS2 is fucking shit compared to 1.
>>
>>338376868
Personally, I like to think of Dead Space 1/2 as Alien and Aliens. Both are equally fantastic movies (games) that manage to use their base concepts in very different ways (slow burning horror vs faster-paced action with some spooks). It's Dead Space 3 that's inferior to the others, but even 3 showed some promise. Drifting about within the derelict graveyard in orbit was fantastic and I really wished the entire game took place there. Weapon crafting was easy to exploit the hell out of, too.
>>
File: ds2 chapter transition.webm (1 MB, 720x404) Image search: [Google]
ds2 chapter transition.webm
1 MB, 720x404
>>338377095
>linear levels
literally explain to me right now how DS2's levels are more linear than DS1's

because apart from dead space 1 wanting you to backtrack around the same facility to complete different steps of your current objective, the two games are almost exactly the same in terms of linearity in level design

there's also the argument to be considered that dead space 2's level design is possibly less linear because of the decision to ditch the tram system for advancing through chapters and instead implementing cutscenes that make the transition from one chapter to another seamless in comparison to the tram, like pic related
>>
Did anyone like Dead Space 3?

The weapon crafting was neat even if it was way too easy to make an OP as fuck weapon, and the co-op bits that only one person can see were neat
>>
>>338375883

Not really. Dead Space 1 is the only one worth playing, although that Wii spin off extraction was decent for a rail shooter, even had nude girls in it.

>>338376308
>silent-protag-went-voiced done extremely right

This is pretty shit taste. DS2 is actually one of the first games that comes to mind when I think of bad examples of silent protagonits getting a voice. Isaac was much better being silent. His new voice doesn't fit, and his character is now an edgy faggot swearing every 2 seconds, especially when you ground stomp. Literally ruined that mechanic for me.

>le fuck you, FUCK YOU! FUCKING NECROMOOOOORPH FFFUUUUUCK YOUOOU

DmC tier writing.

>>338376868

Wow, this is like going into a Deus Ex thread and saying "I've never heard anyone dislike Invisible War before" Only way that could happen is if you have never talked about the series before.

DS1 and DS2, both games seem to be love or hate. I don't think I've seen a person who loved both, everyone is either a DS2 fag or a DS1 fan.

DS1 has a very good horror atmosphere that is spooky as fuck while being a tense TPS. DS2 just throws that all out and becomes a hollywood AAA action game with a few tense bits here and there. Only good parts of DS2 was the stalker enemies and that one level in the ruins of the Ishimura and that's because it had DS1 level design and not the linear shit in DS2.

It's like DS1 and DS2 are for completely different markets. If you like one you probably wont like the other.
>>
File: max fire rate plasma cutter.webm (2 MB, 800x450) Image search: [Google]
max fire rate plasma cutter.webm
2 MB, 800x450
>>338378014
>Weapon crafting was easy to exploit the hell out of, too.
Crafting shit like pic related was so cash.
>>338378304
I unironically enjoyed the gameplay out of 3 the most. Maybe that was because of the co-op or weapon variety, but the only real downside to DS3's combat was its enemy design and even then there were only about 2-4 lackluster enemies.
>>
>>338378024
The game always wanting you to move forward, instead of wandering around on one level. The game non-linearity is almost comparable with Shock games, especially Bioshock.

Not that I disagree with you, I do admit that DS1 are always about from going to A to B and backtracking through some hub area couple times, the game progression itself is very linear. But I do prefer a level where you can wandering around better than a linear level, especially if the game takes place on one place and each levels has theme relevant with the settings

>there's also the argument to be considered that dead space 2's level design is possibly less linear because of the decision to ditch the tram system for advancing through chapters and instead implementing cutscenes that make the transition from one chapter to another seamless in comparison to the tram
I failed to see how this is relevant with the whole level design aspect

>>338378304
The game is enjoyable for one playthrough. There's so many questionable designs, and the plot really hurt the game the most
>>
>>338378476
It's a pity that 3's Cutter was utterly gutted in terms of performance (outside of gimmicks like your webm) and feedback. The Cutter in 1/2 sounded so damn good when fired, but 3's Cutter was pretty much a weak "Pff pff" in comparison. I really liked how different a fully upgraded Cutter sounded in 1/2, as well. It sounded so powerful.
>>
DS1 > DS2 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> DS3
Fact.
>>
Dead Space 3 doesn't exist.
>>
>>338378304
I thought it was fine. I liked it well enough.
>>
>>338375883
Better than the first one, in my opinion.
>>
>>338378459
>Isaac was much better being silent. His new voice doesn't fit, and his character is now an edgy faggot swearing every 2 seconds, especially when you ground stomp. Literally ruined that mechanic for me.
>>le fuck you, FUCK YOU! FUCKING NECROMOOOOORPH FFFUUUUUCK YOUOOU
>DmC tier writing.
It's fit because the idea of seeing the a silent character that went through some deep shit and his reaction of it is interesting. You play as yourself in DS1, and you play as actual Isaac that obviously broken after the whole Ishimura ordeal. He's an edgy swearing faggot because it seem he can't get enough necromorphs shit even after he went into a mental asylum, so it's fits.

Also Gunner Wright is great, fuck you.
>>
>>338378304
I hate to use this cliche, but it would be a good game if it wasn't a Dead Space game.
>>
>>338378624
yeah i can accept your first two points i suppose
>I failed to see how this is relevant with the whole level design aspect
it's somewhat grasping at straws, but my point is that as opposed to "get into tram, tram ends up at chapter start area, finish every objective, return to tram", dead space 2 had something like "arrive at chapter start area, go through unitology church, finish every objective, you are transported to the new chapter start area without having to backtrack to the tram", thus making the progression not entirely as linear as before, if that makes sense
>>
>>338378459
>His new voice doesn't fit, and his character is now an edgy faggot

Better than in DS3 where he becomes an angsty high school kid.
>GEE THAT WAS QUICK
>>
>>338379113
>dead space 2 had something like "arrive at chapter start area, go through unitology church, finish every objective, you are transported to the new chapter start area without having to backtrack to the tram", thus making the progression not entirely as linear as before, if that makes sense
I'm sorry, but that's exactly what makes it linear, you always moving forward with no backtracking or different routes
>>
Doom 3 is better
>>
>>338379028
I agree.
>>
>>338379242
it's not so much backtracking as it is Kendra saying "alright Isaac, return to the tram and go fix this", with that one inconspicuous door that was locked for the entire chapter suddenly becoming unlocked and you running through a corridor and ending up at the tram

there is a distinct lack of different routes however, i'll give you that; the only thing i can remember grabbing my attention was power node rooms or rooms locked by those consoles you had to rig
>>
>>338377902
you cant be more /v/ than this post
>>
>>338378459
>and his character is now an edgy faggot swearing every 2 seconds
Someone made a compilation that invalidates this statement.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d97-VSTGtQE
To be fair, he missed maybe one or two lines from Isaac, but if you skip out on the stomping (which you never do for an extended amount of period, the prerequisite for getting him to start swearing), he actually doesn't swear all that much, and certainly not every two seconds.

I'll never understand why /v/ likes to be so contrarian in regards to Dead Space 2 when it improves on almost everything the original did, minus the horror.
>>
>>338379121

I didn't even play DS3. 2 was shit so I dropped the series.

>>338378965

I don't care about the reasons or Isaacs character. He was better silent. DS was never about character drama or any of that shit, it was basically a modern and more casualized third person System Shock about exploring a fucked up infested space ship about to crash into a planet, and doing engineer things and fixing the place up. It was great and I loved it, I fucking loved how there was so little drama or other gay shit, and it was all relegated to the side aside from Isaac trying to find his gf. He was an engineer and all mission objectives where stuff engineers actually do. DS1's story is so underrated.

All we need to know about him is he's an engineer, and the rest we can gather from his (and our own) actions, he fixes shit. I don't care about his mental state. DS1 did such a great job of putting the player into Isaac, and making his characters profession what the player does in the game.

Fuck 2 for throwing this out.
>>
>>338376868
I was alive when DS2 came out. I remember 9/10 Dead Space fans shitting on it. We chalked it up to EA mandating the sequel to appeal to CoD babies. You can't erase history. A fucking faggot such as yourself should like DS3 even more.
>>
>>338379957

>swears 51 times
>this somehow proves me wrong

He swore 0 times in DS1. Also it wasn't just Isaac, every other character ran their mouth too.

I don't care if a series has swearing from the beginning, but I hate when a sequel goes edgy mode and shoe horns in swearing to a series that didn't have any originally. Mass Effect 2 did this as well, suddenly all this edgy swearing in an effort to seem more mature.

It just seems out of place to me when it's something introduced in a sequel as opposed to always being there.
>>
>>338374268
Great taste OP.
>>
Pic unrelated? Dead Space series was pretty average in many ways.
>>
>>338380582
Next time actually bother to watch the video, and you'll realize that it compiles ALL the swearing in Dead Space 2, and not just Isaac's.

I counted just to spare you the effort though; he swears a total of 26 times (minus 5 from there if you'd like to discount the soft-swearing like god damn it and shut up).

I honestly thought Isaac's outward indignation and his response to that through swearing was one of the better parts of the game, because on a fundamental level it showed strong emotion. Then again, it probably ties in with you disliking that Isaac got a voice instead of remaining a mime, so I don't blame you.
Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.