[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm so fucking torn /v/ Should I just buy this shit now
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 4
File: PC.png (135 KB, 975x971) Image search: [Google]
PC.png
135 KB, 975x971
I'm so fucking torn /v/ Should I just buy this shit now or wait for the meme card 1070 or 1080? I just want to game at 1080p.

Is the R9 390 really going to cut it?
>>
>>338367294
just because it's new doesn't make it a meme card
>>
>1080p
>i7

overkill m8
>>
>>338367294
How much you'd have to pay for picrel setup? Sans the case and OS, that is.
>>
>>338367294
Why crack now when all the new cards come out this year?
>>
Get an i5
Too much ram, 16gb is enough
Pirate windows
Get a hyper 212, aio still arent worth their price.
Get a second hand 980 for half the cost.
>>
>>338367294
just wait for a 1080
>>
>>338367674
I have no idea what you mean but I assume you want to know the overall cost. It comes to 2,000$ USD.

>>338367570
I also added 32gb of ram because I plan to do video editing on it and the I7 will be good for that regardless of resolution, also it will future proof it so if I do want to add in a superior card I'm not going to bottleneck my shit. I also plan to OC.
>>
>>338367874
>I have no idea what you mean
Then you need to work on your reading comprehension or visit this board more often.
>>
>>338367294
man, you should never buy at the forefront of the technology curve -aim towards the middle. the first models will always have some flaw or bug that will be refined in later versions of the model.
otherwise, you're looking at a slight gain in performance for one or two hundred dollars more than the bleeding edge tech is worth.

but that's just like my opinion, man. you do you, but ask yourself if you play any games the 390 can't handle.
it doesn't matter what you buy, really, if it will handle what you throw at it. frankly, the damn thing will be considered ancient 6 months after you buy it anyway.
>>
>>338367294
On DX12 games a 390 is as powerful as a 1080 but costs less, it beats the 980 Ti in nearly every DX12 game. More and more games rely on DX12, just buy a 390, it shits on every nvidia card for the next 3 or 4 years (at least at the same price range).
>>
>>338367294
>all these irresponsibility

I wish I was a kid again.
>>
>>338367294
Seriously, 1070 & 1080 are like month away. Why in the blue hell wouldn't you wait?
>>
>>338367294
Why get a 500GB ssd? I'd get something like the 120GB version just for installing the OS with and then use the extra money to get a better graphics card or something.
>>
>>338368968
Do not listen to this man.
>>
>>338369000
not an argument
>>
>>338369000
Justify getting a 500GB Samsung SSD, then.
>>
>>338369089
The simplest argument here is: He is going to be playing 1080p so there is really no reason to go for a better GPU. I'd much rather put my money to a SSD and enjoy shorter loading times (depending on the game, naturally).
>>
>>338367294
Saving several hundred buckaroos is a really good way of future proofing something. Instead of 600$ item x get 300$ item y. Then use the 300 dollars you saved to buy the next 300$ item y-the sequel and voila you have future proofed your system.

i5 won't bottleneck your system for gaming. Not sure just how good or how necessary it is for video editing but do some research on it before you get expensive shit.

Not sure about your motherboard but when future proofing this is the place to look. Not meaning 'buy something expensive' but rather look for the most recent and accepted ports to be there. That way you will most likely not have to get another mb in the future and most importantly you won't have to rip it out because that is a pain in the ass.

Since you are getting a liquid cooler I am assuming this is not your first time building a computer but I hear it's a pain in the ass and not really that much better. It depends on the case or some shit like that. Don't need a 500gb sd but if you got the money...

Wait for pascal :^)

Make sure your motherboard has quadchannel if you're getting 4x ram.
Ram is slower than cpu so :^)
>>338367962
Not op but what the fuck is "picrel" was my reaction all the way up to typing it out. Now I get you mean pic related. Don't blame others for your niggeresque way of typing.
>>
>>338368968
I don't know. I hear storing some games on the SSD will improve performance (load times). Also applications and content stored on the SSD will run faster and be more accessible quicker.

So I guess it comes down to how many applications I'm going to store on the SSD, and 500gb leaves me some clearance.

If I'm wrong please correct my ignorance.
>>
>>338369247
Yeah so get a smaller to install os and some games on. 120 is enough but can be a bit of a pain in the ass if you play a lot of games in any one period. 250gb is easily enough,
>>
>>338369273
The problem is, 6700k only supports 2 channel memory.
>>
>>338367570

>He does do high-end audio or video.

Kek.
>>
>>338369389
Sure, 120/250gb might be enough, but looking at his configuration he is not really short of cash. I'd say get at least 500gb ssd. And wait for Computex (it's like in 10 days) and see what new cards ATI will bring out to the table. And after that decide what GPU you're going to buy.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7rJZtd7pIQ
>>
File: PC2.png (130 KB, 655x967) Image search: [Google]
PC2.png
130 KB, 655x967
>>338369527
OP here

well I decided to go with the Hyper 212 as per this post

>>338367849

I've also decided to switch my ram to 16gb. I refuse the I5 though because it's getting old (my 5 year old computer is running an I5 2500k)

Wont go less than 500GB on the SSD because I know it will annoy me if I do long term, fuck even 500gb might annoy me but least I will have my 2TB drive for most shit.

There were some really useful responses on this thread and I really apprecaite it. Here is what my updated build looks like now

Any other recommendations?
>>
File: blackadder.png (180 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
blackadder.png
180 KB, 400x400
>>338367294
>paying for OS
>NZXT
>32gb RAM
>>
>>338370215
If you have an extra $10 lying around consider getting the Cryorig H7 instead of the Hyper 212. Heard it's quieter and performs better.
>>
>>338370215
I really would recommend you to wait until Computex and wait to see what ATI brings out. I think it's very silly to buy old generation cards at this point since new ones are going to be in shops in 2-6 weeks.
>>
>>338370485
Also I'm not expert. So take what I say with a grain of salt. Read anadtech and other tech sites, see benchmarks and reviews.
>>
>>338370421
What would be a better case? I'm open to suggestions
>>338370468
Thank you for the suggestion. The reason I'm going with the 212 though is because it's much easier to find in stock, easier to ship with the build I'm creating and I want to combine it all in to save on shipping fee. You are right though it looks like the H7 is a bit better.
>>
>>338370485
You are right, I am considering waiting. I actually prefer AMD over Nividia so maybe they will release something surprising. I still want to get the other parts for the build figured out though.
>>
>>338370698
Whatever cooler you get make sure it all fits. Sometimes, depending on the motherboard, full sized ram can have trouble fitting in if the cooler is to large and stuff like that. Just make sure you get the dimensions and look at video reviews of the case/cooler/motherboard as they tend to try to fit things of different sizes into that shit and see what works.
>>
>>338369294
Yeah, you move stuff you're playing onto the SSD, and then keep all your big data on the HDD.

You can configure steam to look in multiple places for your games but I forget how to do it. Either that or tell steam to use your HDD, but then just put in symlinks to your SSD.
>>
>>338367294
if you buy AMD you will regret it later. nothing to do with 1080 1070. and im not going to get into it and argue over it

but im going to tell you what umpteen people will tell you...if you buy amd you will regret it.

btw if you just want to game in 1080p you just need a 960 or something jackass.
>>
>>338370215
>I refuse the I5 though because it's getting old (my 5 year old computer is running an I5 2500k)

you apparently think the processor model name means something?...they come out with new i5s every year bro

you dont seem to really know what you are doing, i would suggest having someone build PC for you. you are trying to waste money because you think wasting money will make your PC better. it will just make your money more wasted.
>>
>>338371423
I'd still say: Look at benchmarks and ask on better forums (like anadtech, tomshardware) about this stuff. And for the love of science, do not hurry with this shit. Rather spend a week reading and asking than a year regretting.
>>
>>338367294
1 month and you get newer cards with better performance for the same price or less, but no, you want to get it right now. And for what? Overwatch?
>>
OP, define your priorities, video editing is important? If so stick with the i7 and 32GB of RAM. 390 is fine for 1080p gaming.
>>
>game at 1080p
>should I get 1440p/4k cards

Fucking retard

Even if you wait for the 70/80 cards yous hould NEVER buy reference coolers which would make you wait even longer for the after market versions to release which is pointless unless you plan to upgrade to 1440p or 4k in the future.

Current price points:

High End (Best purchases)
1080 > anything (best card on the market)
1070 >= 980ti (said to be as fast as the 980ti for a cheaper price)
980ti > Titan X/Fury X (faster than the Fury X, can Overclock MUCH better than the Fury X and the Titan X is just a terrible purchase overall)
980 > Fury (goes neck and neck with the Fury despite overclocking MUCH better and being around $50-100 cheaper)
390 > 970
380 > 960

So on and so fourth. I recommend either getting a 390 if you want to safely game at 1080p for a good price, a 980 if you want a faster card than the 390 that overclocks better but is more expensive or waiting for the 1080/1070 cards aftermarket versions.

The 980ti is just a bad buy right now with the 1080/1070 this close to release.

I personallyr ecommend a 390/980 depending on your price point, both will easily meet your 1080p quota and both will last you a solid amount of time. Also, get rid of your fucking i7 unless you plan to use you computer for other shit.
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.