[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
If we, in a decades time or so, find out that "true VR"
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2
If we, in a decades time or so, find out that "true VR" requires a neural interface in order to work, would you let yourself be augmented to experience it?
>>
Obviously, brain-computer interface is useful for much more than just visual input
>>
That sort of tech probably won't be available in our lifetime.
If it were, I would only use in in offline games, fuck having my thoughts sent directly to a company's marketing division.
>>
>>338367089
I'm not only talking about visuals. I'm talking full-on sensual replication in every aspect, disabling your consciousness from your body and displaying the virtual world to our senses instead
>>
>>338367418
I was ready to disregard the whole thing, but now you make it sound like Ghost in the Shell or The Matrix

in that case, wire me the fuck up
>>
>>338367135
>That sort of tech probably won't be available in our lifetime.
I don't know how old you are, but we're probably going to see some serious shit in the next few decades, like viable fusion power, quantum computers, literal Deus Ex HR level augmentations (they already have shit that is pretty close to the limbs), mass implementation of self driving cars, shit, it's entirely within possibility that they figure out how to basically stop us from aging before people alive today die. Assuming we don't blow it all to hell before then.

Holodeck level VR is really what I'm looking forward to. Quantum computing is probably a big step towards that, plus the power tech to power all that shit.
>>
No, neural interfaces are one step off full population control by corporations. Enjoy being used as a puppet while being mindwiped to think your break is just 5 minutes away all day.

The day they start forcing people to get implants is the day I start blowing shit up.
>>
>>338368004
I don't believe we will ever see that. No one will be "forced" to augment. It's a dystopia sci-fi pipe dream.
>>
>>338368197
Good luck getting a job today without Facebook and a smartphone.
>>
>>338367824

i have some news for you anon

http://www.geekwire.com/2016/bioviva-liz-parrish-reports-progress-controversial-gene-quest-reverse-aging/
>>
>>338368250
I don't have Facebook, and I survived without a smartphone until a couple of months ago when I upgraded out of convenience.

Let me guess, you're a doomsday prepper?
>>
>>338368381
Oh yeah, that sounds like what I heard about. Still, I hear about so many things that make themselves sound like massive breakthroughs that couldn't possibly fail and then they sort of just fizzle out. Very skeptical about things like this, and it will still probably be decades until it becomes viable on a large scale even if this goes well. And even then, it could get cockblocked for ages by fuckknuckles who are afraid of science. Still, it's nice to hope things turn out well.
>>
>>338366929
Fuck no. If it includes putting a foreign element inside my body i'd rather keep it away.
>>
>>338368768
I bet you hate vaccines too
>>
>>338366929
If it goes the way of jewgle, cuckbook et. al then no, I don't want DRM hardware in my brain.
>>
>>338366929
shut up jim norton

trannie shit eater
>>
>>338366929
As long as it comes with other benefits a la Ghost in the Shell.
>>
>>338366929
I can't wait for implants stimulating the brain or muscles, so yes, I would let myself be augmented.
>>
File: The_Human_Connectome.png (2 MB, 1280x1000) Image search: [Google]
The_Human_Connectome.png
2 MB, 1280x1000
>>338367135
Turns out we've already figured out how to map neural pathways in brains, the result is called a "connectome" in reference to the genome.

Human brains are still entirely too complicated for us right now but they've already completely mapped a small worm so well they were able to build a robot with an artificial worm brain, a literal ghost in a machine:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_i1NKPzbjM
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.