[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why the fuck do enemies in this game get poise that actually
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 97
Thread images: 7
File: 81jotdW.jpg (1 MB, 3000x2960) Image search: [Google]
81jotdW.jpg
1 MB, 3000x2960
Why the fuck do enemies in this game get poise that actually does shit, while we get poise that does nothing at all?
>>
>>338340801
Because fuck you thats why. The game wants you to have all the disadvantages and will fuck you over in every way possible. From enemies having infinite poise to chain axes hitting you through walls. Things the game won't let you do, but the enemies can. They can do anything.
>>
Poise is 4 fagz
>>
Only enemies I can think of that just don't stagger are really big ones, like giant crystal lizards, those hand monsters, and of course the giants. Lothric knights stagger with each hit but they recover so you can't just r1 spam them, then they get hyper armor when they use an art.
>>
File: image.jpg (196 KB, 1242x1150) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
196 KB, 1242x1150
>tfw Ndnsnenejehhehrhr nicer niggas than you
>>
>>338341818
have fun with the darkwraiths then

there's only 4 in the game but those guys can take a hit like a motherfucker

i've even seem them poise through a fully charged FUGS r2 once or twice
>>
And you posted one enemy that has no poise
>>
>>338341904
I have more trouble with lothric knights than darkwraiths desu
>>
>>338341904
Right, forgot about those guys, but then again you can parry and backstab them.
>>
I didn't have a problem with poise in PvE. It's PvP that's fucked.
>>
>needing poise

Get that shit outta here
>>
>>338341818
You can notice poise on darkwraiths, those demons in the ruins, SKs, BKs and the fat knights. All of them get staggered after some hits, in fact, it's identical to how DaS 1 poise worked, the gwyn knights even stagger in around the same number if hits.
>>
>>338340801
Poise is such a beautiful concept. Why did From Soft forget about it?
>>
>>338342017
i can't parry for shit, and backstabs are nearly impossible since they r1 spam just like a regular pvp shitter
>>
FROM said poise is working as intended

so therefore the point is that they purposely wanted to trick players into thinking it does something when it doesn't.
>>
>>338341818
The Giant Crystal Lizards stagger after enough hits allowing you to essentially backstab/visceral them in the face.
>>338341904
Darkwraiths also stagger.
>>
>>338342207
Its not about needing poise, its about not wanting to get staggered by rats or having to play PvP like a dex poofter

The only people that say "h-he he, yeah, get fucked STR fag, m-maybe you should git gud and learn to not need poise!" are the people that know their gay as fuck R1 spam wouldn't work anymore and they would actually have to work out a gameplan on the fly based on what the opponent is wearing, and not just go into every encounter thinking "alright, I just need to hit him first and keep hitting R1 until I'm out of stam, then if he's not dead I'll back up and circle him until I have full stam again so that I can repeat the process until I win! God I'm so good at this game, I'm awesome, I bet my mom would love me if she knew how good I was at dark souls"
>>
>>338342780
You can't win either way.

>no poise
>hollow soldier sneezes and you suffer hitsun even in full havels

>poise
>you swing the big dick sword of fuck you
>but you're also wearing a frilly dress so your swing doesn't follow through after being bitten by a mosquito
>>
>>338342837
Yeah they fucked the parry, again. DS1 parries are still the best, BB too sort of but it still feels unreliable.
>>
>>338343232
i'm just salty that a partial parry fucks up so much of your stamina

you either do it correctly and deal huge damage

or you fuck up and get r1 spammed to death since you can't roll because no stamina

its great
>>
>>338341904

They'll stagger after three or so hits from a straight sword.
>>
>>338343024
Or you could not get hit by said rats, not hard, and learn to deal with R1 spam. Seriously not hard.

You're gonna have more problems at of the Greathammer trolling than anything and that's mostly because you got Anor Londo Ledge Fiends again.
>>
>>338340801
But none of the enemies get poise. They just get hyper armor.
>>
>>338344489
What about all listed >>338342552 and>>338341818?
Poise is in the game, it's just present in a select few enemies.
>>
>>338340801
One of the reasons I'm glad DS3 is the last one. Every game the mechanics have slid away further into garbage. Now your poise only works mid swing and that's on only a few weapons, and most enemies not only get the old poise system but near endless stamina as well. DS3 feels like From tried to ape itself because they thought things would be too easy if their systems still made sense, so they just tossed logic out and made every fight an asinine slog of constant stunlocks.

I don't get it, in Bloodborne From mocked shields users for being defensive pussies and in DS3 they made Great Shields broken to the point of being ridiculous. These assholes have no idea what they want.
>>
>>338344359
>Or you could not get hit by said rats, not hard, and learn to deal with R1 spam. Seriously not hard.

t. Dex shitter that uses a rapier or dark sword
>>
>>338345093
>Now your poise only works mid swing
Thats just a lie from reddit, I fell for the same misinformation.
Poise actually does nothing, like, its turned off for the player in the games code.
>>
>>338345236
Never played a dex build in any of the Souls games, always went with strength, but whatever you say. Guess you need some type of justification for being shit.
>>
>>338345391
We don't need poise, we just want it.

How about that, faggot? No one has to justify anything to you, you boring chode. Celebrating the dissolution of an entire game mechanic, fuck outta here pussy memer.
>>
Havel the rock? more like Havel the sock
>>
>>338345391
I've already finished the main game twice and NG+ once before I got bored, its not about me being bad at the game, its about the game severely limiting playstyle options down to one thing.

As it is right now, slow weapons and heavy armour are just a burden. Just because you did a STR build, doesn't mean you actually used a slow weapon, you could still just be a dex shitter in disguise using a heavy rapier.
>>
>>338345303
>Thats just a lie from reddit, I fell for the same misinformation.
No it is a very real thing. Except it's not poise it's hyper armor. Only certain weapons have them like ultra greatswords and heavy weapons.
>>
>>338344663
Isn't poise supposed to affect resistance against staggering? None of the enemies have a resistance. They can either be staggered, or not. When doing specific moves, they require a certain hit count to stagger. Some moves can't be staggered. Enemies have hyper and super armor, but not poise.

If I attacked you with a heavy weapon, and a light weapon in DaS, would they both stagger you at the same rate? Would raising your poise not change the rate at which you get staggered against different weapons?
>>
>>338345696
For a while reddit was telling everyone that Poise in DS3 increased you hyper armour iFrames, I stumbled onto that thread when I was looking around on google to try and figure out what poise even did.

I made it all the way to Nameless king with 50 points in VIT and wearing the heaviest armour I could find through the whole game, and I had finally gotten sick of getting staggered by fucking everything. So I looked it up, and everyone referenced back to that one thread on reddit saying that higher poise meant longer hyper armour
>>
Just admit it, you guys wouldn't care that poise was gone if they didn't fuck up and leave the stat in the game. From should just patch it out of the game since they screwed up big time leaving the stat in.
>>
>>338345628
Never was celebrating the dissolution of an entire game mechanic, just don't need it.
>>338345694
Not really, there are plenty of playstyles to be had, as for what I used I used Wolf Knight's Greatsword and the Fallen Knight Set.
>>
>>338345872
>Just admit it, you guys wouldn't care that poise was gone if they didn't fuck up and leave the stat in the game

No because that would still leave any heavy weapons user feeling like they're gimping themselves for no reason
>>
>>338346191
Heavy weapons are great because of hyper armor. I use heavy weapons.
>>
>>338343024
>alright, I just need to hit him first and keep hitting R1 until I'm out of stam, then if he's not dead I'll back up and circle him until I have full stam again so that I can repeat the process until I win!
And what's wrong with it, exactly?
>>
>>338345991
In Dark Souls 1 I equipped some of the heaviest sets I could find and laughed off enemy attacks because it was fun. It was fun and it's how I like to play.

Building myself up as a heavy knight class and then getting staggered by butterknife enemies in the starting area is not fun, and it goes against what I want to do with my build. What the fuck is the point of armor that lets you get pushed around as easy as if you were wearing rags?
>>
>>338345872
>Just admit it, you guys wouldn't care that poise was gone if they didn't fuck up and leave the stat in the game.

I'd still care,
I completed Dark Souls up to the second or third NG+ without looking anything up, and by far my favourite set was Elite Knight Armour, Black Knight Sword, and Silver Knight Shield.
Decent DEF, good Poise, nice stability on the shield, and a strong attack. The sword was slow and predictable, but I could block attacks until I thought the opponents Stamina would be low, then trade hits for massive damage.

I COULD have just used a dagger and fished for backstabs and used the flippy ring to never get hit, but I prefered to stay up close and personal, not giving them a chance to roll away and heal or regen stam.

You can't fucking do this in DS3, combat always boils down to Spamming R1 until you're out of stam, then backing off until you have full stamina again.

People love to spout "B-B-BUT ITS ALL ABOUT TIMING AND SPACING!! ITS SUPER HARDCORE!!"
It most certainly fucking isn't, I play Street Fighter and Dark Stalkers just about every night, and those games are about timing and spacing, Dark Souls is babby tier PvP, and its even babbier now that there is only one way to play.
>>
>>338346331
>And what's wrong with it, exactly?
Its fucking boring and it turned PvP into a dex circle jerk.

Maybe I want to be a tanky guy with a big slow weapon? Maybe I don't want to run around in circles trying to land my R1 spam first?
>>
>>338346334
>What the fuck is the point of armor that lets you get pushed around as easy as if you were wearing rags?
Le fashun xD
GIT GUD
git rekd poise fag, lrn to dodge
Did you tri, NOT GETTING HIT xDDD
>>
>>338346316
They're nowhere near "great". The damage is shit, hyperarmor timing is too specific, enemies are too aggressive.
>>
>>338346371
>ITS ALL ABOUT TIMING AND SPACING
>It most certainly fucking isn't

Uh yeah it is, but that describes almost every action game ever including 2D platformers.

Heavy playstyles are still viable but you have to think of it differently from DS1. Use a shield and hyper armor and you will already be insanely powerful, adding poise would make your build OP.
>>
>>338346441
Ah, I thought you're just a faggot criticized others people playstyle. My bad.
>>
>>338346771
>The damage is shit
Funny considering I can 2 shot most people with a heavy weapon, while they have to hack and slash at me all day. Bosses and enemies also drop like flies with heavy weapons. My heavy weapon run turned everything into a joke based solely on damage.
>>
>>338346441
>Maybe I want to be a tanky guy with a big slow weapon
Big slow weapons are stronger in this game than they've been at any point in the series. Hyper armor is a huge advantage when everybody else gets staggered in a single blow.
>>
>>338346771
>hyperarmor timing is too specific
literally git gud. hyper armor and heavy weapons are beastly. if you can't use them then you just suck and don't deserve an opinion on the matter.
>>
>>338346334
While I do agree that that does suck for you, I believe their intent was that armor is just armor, it doesn't offer much of anything outside of arbitrary numbers for whatever you want to look like. Mostly because certain sets were better. That and I feel as though they wanted people to actively use the dodging mechanics instead of tanking their wear through things.

While I do admit that that is fun at times, to me personally it gets boring quite fast and takes away a lot of the thrill of danger in Souls games, and I may be the only one that thinks that way and I could be wrong. To me poise just isn't something that is ultimately needed I feel beyond adding some more diversity and partially imbalancing things a different way. I think it fits more with the style they wanted Souls games to be in terms of "hardness" if you will.
>>
>>338347490
>literally git gud
Why? I can just use a longsword which is better at pretty much everything with no downsides
>>
>>338346828
>>338347008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cb4IcVNMtBY
>>
>>338347364
Bosses and enemies drop like flies even if you use a toothpick, you're not really convincing anyone
>>
>>338347562
The point is that you are supposed to pick what works for you. If longsword works better than use that but don't act like heavy weapons aren't viable.
>>
>>338346512
Take a break

This is clearly not healthy for you
>>
>>338346441
If you time certain large weapons right you can OHKO pretty much anybody. There are some very good spots in which to do this too and to actively avoid the R1 Spam.

True if you get hit you're kind of fucked, but it's about circle strafing and bidding your time appropriately to land that massive hit, which I think is better in the long run. Especially with fucking Hyper Armor, you can still tank through people in PvP, not entirely, but you definitely can.
>>
WORKING
>>
>>338340801
Why do enemy lothric knights get blue garbs, while the player is stuck with red garbs?
>>
>>338346771
Nah man stuff like the bkga have hyper armor during the whole swing, that requires no timing at all
>>
>>338347610
>guy kills a bunch of noobs blind
>somehow think this is proof of bad game design
>>
>>338347610
You know you can roll out of anything after 2 hits right

He was playing absolute retards
>>
>>338347683
>If you time certain large weapons right you can OHKO pretty much anybody
Maybe if they put 0 points in vit and you land a fully charged r2
>>
>>338343421
it's balanced for the mash r1 meta. I swear this garbage was intentional.
>>
>>338347617
Well, idiots can't be convinced. Either way, when I'm in a fight against a boss with another person, and they are doing half my damage at the same pace as me, then we switch weapons and roles are reversed, then we both equip heavy weapons and bosses drop twice as fast, I am inclined to believe they do more damage.

If that is somehow doing the same amount of damage, then good for your special snowflake head. 500 damage vs 250 damage just seems like two different numbers to me for some reason.
>>
File: 1371775251512s.jpg (5 KB, 220x229) Image search: [Google]
1371775251512s.jpg
5 KB, 220x229
>>338348612
>500 damage vs 250 damage just seems like two different numbers to me for some reason.
>he's so stupid he can't even understand the concept of DPS
Look I'm not even him and I think STR is well above good for PvE, even for some PvP, but holy shit you are dumb.
>>
File: 1462328487255.jpg (59 KB, 453x439) Image search: [Google]
1462328487255.jpg
59 KB, 453x439
>tfw "framerate unsuitable for online play, returning to main menu"
>>
>>338348935
>we are on the nth update by now and optimization is STILL an issue.
God dam fucking stupid japs. Why has my framerate been dropping at the fucking level up screen in firelink, on lowest settings, on fucking 1600x900? Why does my game go autistic whenever I load a new area and drops to 2fps for a minute and nearly freezes the game after this update, or how bosses with any sort of particle effects like pontiff, dancer, and dragonslayer armour all drop to 8fps every single time they do a fucking attack?
I ran SOTFS max settings 60fps 1080p. Usually I blame my computer for shit like this, but I know FROM has something to do with this utter horseshit.
>>
>>338348830
>DPS
You generally do 2 hits with a heavy weapon to a boss before you have to dodge or he has to dodge. A faster weapon might be able to do 2.5 to 3 hits in the same amount of time. Are you saying that all heavy weapons are super slow? I have not used a heavy weapon that does half as many attacks as a strait sword in in the same amount of time.

Am I just using some faster heavy weapons you guys don't know about or what?
>>
>>338347513
Certain sets are CLEARLY better now. Abyss watchers, rags, anything that doesn't weigh 20 pounds like all the "heavy" armor that gives poise like the wolf ring but only gives equip load in reality. No, they fucked up and never re-balanced the numbers if they took it out on purposed.
>>
>>338347364
2r1s from dark sword=greatword. Dark sword even has longer reach.
>>
>>338349434
>A faster weapon might be able to do 2.5 to 3 hits in the same amount of time
the only time this applies would be some combos on nameless, champion, and soul of cinder. Everything else you should be able to to get at least 3 hits on, 4 for some combos. Dex weapon AR isn't an exact half of typical STR AR, lots of dex weapons are around the 350 area and the average STR weapon would be 550. Dex has to make up for taking more damage reductions than a STR weapon has to since dex is more swing speed and less damage, but overall most dex weapons have a higher overall DPS.
>>
>>338347873
>>338347796
Then show me a video of this working with any GS or UGS
>>
>>338349816
>slower weapons that eat up your stamina in a few hits

Yeah, no suprise that you can't spam that.
>>
>>338349282
>Why does my game go autistic
I know what you mean. I won't even play anymore because it crashes so hard sometimes it threatens to break my computer. It doesn't even matter what drivers/card/ram/Gpu you have. From is a hack.
>>
>>338344359
>just don't get hit xDD

Then what the fuck is the point in heavy armor?
>>
>>338349917
>>Yeah, no suprise that you can't spam that.
The point is estoc/dark sword and dex in general are so ez mode it's a matter of who hits first and mashes the hardest than any kind of skill/variable play
>>
>>338350197
Only if you are facing noobs.
>>
>>338350313
pro play is r1 until stamina is low, roll away wait 7 seconds repeat.
>>
>>338350383
Good thing they put in all those rad weapon arts, eh?
>>
>>338349658
>greatsword
Are you trying to qualify those useless things as heavy weapons? Do I need to say super heavy weapons then?
>>
>>338350418
They suck.
>>
>>338350508
>Greatsword with its slow ass swing isn't classed as heavy
ok
>>
>>338350197
>dark sword
>ez mode
i dont get why people have issues with dark sword when its easy to parry with literally anything

>estoc
ok this one is bullshit, has built in heat detection, will hit you a third time as you roll out, and will eat you through partial parries
>>
>>338345093
It's almost like the two universes have different opinions on fighting styles

Man I hate people like you, just regurgitating shit you've heard, or just opinions that in the end mean nothing, backed up by even more shitty opinions. That's all this shitty thread is. That's all /v/ is. Fucking morons.
>>
>>338350009
This is so weird just because i've never had a crash or any fps issues

970 i5
>>
>>338341818
I think the BASTARD'S CUUURSE grabby witch cunts literally have infinite poise

I've hit them with full charged charge attacks so many times and it just doesn't fucking work
>>
>>338350593
>easy to parry with literally anything
latency
>as built in heat detection
Explains A FUCKING LOT
>>
>>338350679
760 i5, runs withcher 3 on max 40 fps and 60fps with textures reduced by 1
>>
File: 020.png (249 KB, 800x1200) Image search: [Google]
020.png
249 KB, 800x1200
I just turn it on with cheat engine while playing offline.

Online play is a meme.
>>
>>338341973

Use an Estoc
>>
Poise in this game seems like the Torches in 2

Game ended up working on better terms without it I guess.
I wonder if they just thought "Well fuck it pvp will be ruined if we turn this shit back on"
There has to be a good reason for this.

When I say good, I mean a reason that was carefully considered for months if not weeks.
>>
>>338351458

They made Bloodborne 2
They realised that that putting poise in Bloodborne 2 was an issue

So at the last moment they just switched off poise and shipped Bloodborne 2 with all the references to poise left intact.

They could have just made Dark Souls 3 instead of Bloodborne 2, but I guess someone really likes turning a deliberate, slow paced medieval themed game into fucking anime bullshit.

In 7 patches they have not fixed poise, nor removed the various items and tooltips related to it. It can't be "working as intended" if it's a stat that says you get the ability to withstand attacks, and then you have lots of poise and then nothing, NOTHING happens.
>>
I feel like I wouldn't care as much about the fact that they removed poise if half the game wasn't already clearly built around the fact of it's existence

There's absolutely no point to heavy Armour and to a certain degree heavy weapons, rendering the stats that effect your ability to use them pointless, as well as stuff like the Wolf ring still being in the game
>>
>>338351765
>slow paced
Dark Souls has never been slow paced. This series has so many fucking bosses throwing Melty Blood combos at you and hits that are so hard that your children 8 generations down the line feel it that I genuinely find a hard time believing that this series is slow paced.

Dark Souls 2 had a boss with fucking danmaku attached to it for fuck's sake.
>>
File: 1444433169477.jpg (12 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
1444433169477.jpg
12 KB, 225x225
>>338350593
>estoc

>favorite weapon from DS1 and 2.
>its an OP shitter weapon in 3
>>
>>338343089
/v/ is dumb as usual. You could just make the weapon add to poise also.
>>
>>338351458
Torches also weren't neutered for a particularly grand reason either though.
Good reasons for bad decisions aren't exactly commonplace in the souls series.
At best the reason is that they didn't have enough time to do it right so they rushed it since I can't imagine consoles being unable to handle poise.
Thread replies: 97
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.