[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How did these IP's refuse to die? They clung on for dear
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4
File: pjimage.jpg (379 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
pjimage.jpg
379 KB, 1000x1000
How did these IP's refuse to die?

They clung on for dear life and made it.
>>
Doom and KI and Deus Ex are love letters to their dwindling fanbases that gave them a beautiful boost of energy
>>
>>338340154
>doom
first game in 10 years
>shadow warrior
first game in 15 years
>rachet and clank
cartoon shit that is easy to crank out games to
literally the off brand knock off sony version of mario
>xcom
just a series that got picked up and did well for some reason
>tomb raider
its a classic series
>mortal kombat
its a fighting game, it will always attract autists
>deus ex
muh classic 90s fps
>rayman
see rachet

companies snatch up ips all the time and crank out shit out using them all the time. bethesda loves to do this (doom, fallout, wolfenstein) especially
>>
>>338340154
>Doom
first actual title made since 2005
>shadow Warrior
see Doom
>Ratchet, and Clank
A overall great franchise that has more good in it then bad
>Xcom
Father of scifi Streatgy games
>Tomb Raider
a very famous action franchise even jf the new ones are mediocre
>KI
A series thats hasnt had a good game since the genises days
>Deus ex
One of if not the best Cyberpunk rpgs im our times it even holds up to this day
>Rayman
see Ratchet and Clank

People who complain about how certain games are still alive should Stfu
>>
>>338340504
>mortal combat

that's killer instinct senpai, actually a good series unlike mk
>>
>>338340154
>complain about franchises begging for death
>no Nintendo ones on the pic

Gee I wonder who's behind this post
>>
File: JC.png (33 KB, 737x526) Image search: [Google]
JC.png
33 KB, 737x526
>>338340154
>How did these IP's refuse to die?
Super simple tl;dr: because their older games (or at least some of them) are still fun to lots of people even today. They've held up.

That's really all there is to it. If a game is an enduring classic that continues to get actively enjoyed by old players and attract new ones, even if a trickle, then the flame can stay alive for a very long time. Even in the face of awful sequels, fans can just go right back to good original.

So if at any time an actual good new entry is made, there is a base of hot coals ready to burst back into flame again. That's not to say that there ever will be one of course, but the latent potential is there.

In contrast there are lots and lots of "classic" vidya that were genuinely groundbreaking for their time and people look back on with great nostalgia, but that nobody actually has touched in ages. Name recognition might cause people to give a sequel a glance they wouldn't otherwise, but if it's mediocre it can just kill the franchise value dead.
>>
Each of them are a case of publishers realizing they have an old dead IP left over and deciding they may as well do something with it.
>>
>>338342554
Like Dungeon Keeper?
>>
>>338343381
DK wouldn't work well with a controller/consoles.
>>
File: worthy successor.jpg (79 KB, 600x338) Image search: [Google]
worthy successor.jpg
79 KB, 600x338
>>338343629
True, only the power of the touch screen and f2p could unlock its true potential :^)
>>
>>338343928
The funny thing is that a touchscreen is more fit for strategy games than a controller.
>>
File: CCTwilight.png (159 KB, 440x317) Image search: [Google]
CCTwilight.png
159 KB, 440x317
>>338342554
>>
>>338344095
I'm sorry anon but there was absolutely nothing funny about DK mobile. Nothing. ;____:
>>
>>338344218
Where did I say it was good? I said touchscreens > controller for strategy games.
>>
>>338341951
This.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.