[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I've seen Gothic 2 get a lot of praise in RPG threads, but
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: gothic-gameplay1.jpg (77 KB, 500x378) Image search: [Google]
gothic-gameplay1.jpg
77 KB, 500x378
I've seen Gothic 2 get a lot of praise in RPG threads, but I reckon I probably ought to play the first game first. Is it any good?

Is there any way to get it to not look like shit by modern standards?
>>
>>338337403
I have this old copy pasta saved from back when this guy used to make a lot of gothic threads

>getting Gothic 1 to run (better) on modern systems
- fresh install game
- install patch 1.08k (gothic_patch_108k.exe) http://www.worldofgothic.com/dl/?go=dlfile&fileid=10
- install playerkit (gothic1_playerkit-1.08k.exe) http://www.worldofgothic.com/dl/?go=dlfile&fileid=28
- install systempack (g1classic-systempack-1.1.exe) http://forum.worldofplayers.de/forum/threads/1340357-Release-Gothic-%C2%BD-%C2%97-SystemPack-%28ENG-DEU%29
- unplug second monitor if you have one. It fucks with the game being displayed. The systempack works for some people as a workaround, for others not.

>getting Gothic 2 to run (better) on modern systems
- fresh install game
- install fix (gothic2_fix-2.6.0.0-rev2.exe) (FOR G2 + ADDON)
ALT.: install fix (gothic2_fix-1.30.0.0.exe) (FOR VANILLA) http://www.worldofgothic.de/dl/download_278.htm
- install player kit (gothic2_playerkit-2.6f.exe) http://www.worldofgothic.de/dl/download_168.htm
- install system pack (g2notr-systempack-1.1.exe) http://forum.worldofplayers.de/forum/threads/1340357-Release-Gothic-%C2%BD-%C2%97-SystemPack-%28ENG-DEU%29
- unplug second monitor if you have one. It fucks with the game being displayed. The systempack works for some people as a workaround, for others not.

>DX11 mod for Gothic 2
http://forum.worldofplayers.de/forum/threads/1436307-D3D11-Renderer-f%C3%BCr-Gothic-2-%28alpha%29-13

>DX11 mod for Gothic 1 (if you know how to install it)
https://github.com/Degenerated1123/GD3D11

those mods will at least let you play in modern resolutions. gothic 2 can look amazing with dx11 mod but I got no clue how to install that on g1. G1 is relatively short anyway.
>>
>>338337403
yes it's good and you should play it

that's all you need to know
>>
>>338338337
Not true. Every old RPG require set up and a bit of studying if you don't want to fuck your shit up.
>>
>>338338548
then just play and expect your shit to get fucked up.
>>
>>338337403
Posting from my pastebin, it's specifically for Gothic 2 Night of the Raven, but everything applies to Gothic 1 too.

It is an absolute masterpiece. One of the most immersive worlds in RPGs. Interesting story, interesting characters, amazing world, beautiful and unforgettable music (for example Jharkendar, or the pirate camp)

The game is filled with content. There is no space on the map where there is nothing to discover. There's always a secret, a cave, an NPC, a monster, secret treasure, everywhere you go.

This game is also very hard. And hard in a GOOD way. The quests are one of the best if not the best you'll ever see in a video game. Every quest is interesting and rewarding. Similar to quests in Witcher 3, although quests in Witcher 3 are piss easy compared to Gothic. There is no GPS or Witcher senses leading you to where you have to go to finish the quest. There is no trail to follow. You have to explore on your own. You don't even start with a map of the area, you have to buy or obtain the map of the region, but without it you just have to learn where the paths lead, memorize how to get from the City to Lobard's farm for example. The map is just a piece of paper that does what it was made to do, shows you the region. There are no quest marks, waypoints or anything like that on the map.
For example: If you decide to become the city's militia the lord will give you a question: Investigate and deal with the distribution of swampweed in the city (swamp weed is like marihuana in gothic). He tells you that the docks is the area of the city where you should start.

That's it. Then you go around the docks and ask people if they know anything about it. But no one is is going to tell you anything because no one wants to get in trouble with the militia. So you figure out what to do. I've spent 2 days straight just figuring out this one quest. And needless to say the satisfaction after getting it done was huge.

1/2
>>
>>338339298
2/2

Or you get a quest about people mysteriously disappearing from the city. You're told that recently people around the city have been disappearing without trace. You have to investigate and find out what is it. That's all. I've been trying to find out what it is for weeks when I first payed Gothic (no looking at internet guides) but there's a huge satisfaction when you solve it.

The combat is really hard for beginners but you get used to it later on. It requires good timing and a tiny mistake can lead to death.

This game WONT hold your hand even for a second.
The exploration is very rewarding.

The world is living and you feel like you're part of it. The atmosphere is incredible. You see people doing their daily things, smoking, talking, going to work

To describe the atmosphere in gothic - You constantly feel that there is some evil lurking around the corners

The characters are very well developed and likable.

Voice acting is perfect. The dialogue is never boring.

I don't even remember how many times I've replayed Gothic. It just never gets boring.
>>
How do I into Gothic 1 combat? I've tried several times to get into it and it just feels so incredibly clunky and unnatural that I just drop it.
>>
>>338340421
literally git gud

gothic's combat is actually very good if you get past the noob phase

In gothic literally everything can fucking destroy you. Even with the best gear and high lvl a pack of wolves can fucking shit on you if you make a mistake

But also if you master the combat, you can defeat the most powerful enemy with just a shitty starter dagger

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gH1qUmHAf0c
>>
>>338337403
The Gothic series is great but it can be rather unforgiving at the beginning. Keep in mind that combat ability does not just depend on your skill to press buttons at the right time but also on your character's combat skill, which means that initially you'll have a harder time chaining attacks, defending, etc. The world is dangerous, so initially don't run off alone too much but stick to the settlements. There are NPCs who offer to get you safely from one settlement to another since they want to recruit you to their guilds. They'll clear the roads for you and you'll get XP for the enemies they kill on the way. Since monsters don't respawn over time but only when certain quests are solved, you can thus savely travel. Before joining a guild you should take a look at all settlements and do quests there since that way you'll get more XP.
>>
>>338340865
Because you can stunlock everything indefinitely, even with the fucking pickaxe. That's not good combat. Also, that's Gothic 2. I'm talking about Gothic 1.
>>
>>338341078
gothic 2 and 1 have pretty similar combat, the mechanics are the same

and if you want to "stunlock" somebody you will have to master the combat perfectly, and you could only do that in a 1v1 fight, and there is no possibility of you stunlocking anything when you're outnumbered, which is how you're going to fight most of the time
>>
>>338341078
>stunlock

lol
no

have you even played gothic?

every single second of combat against anything requires constant precision and PERFECT timing, and even a tiny little mistake can fuck you up anytime
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.