[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What exactly is it that makes Diablo 2 so much better than Diablo
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 193
Thread images: 27
File: wall2-1152x864.jpg (537 KB, 1152x864) Image search: [Google]
wall2-1152x864.jpg
537 KB, 1152x864
What exactly is it that makes Diablo 2 so much better than Diablo 3?

There are definitely things I like about Diablo 3. It's a good looking game, the visual/audio feedback for killing monsters is really satisfying and the hotkey system is an improvement.

But whenever I get the urge for some Diablo gameplay, I'd much rather go play Diablo 2 than 3, even though I've already played the fuck out of it over the many many years since its release.
>>
>>338336692
Why the fuck doesn't promotional art with RPGs look this great anymore?
>>
>>338337079
What? It's SJW garbage.

>Alpha Male symbol of sex Barbarian dead on the ground
>Stoic handsome Aryan Necromancer about to job
>DINDU WE WUZ HOLY N SHIT coming in to save the day and fuck the ladies

Fuck off with your SJW shit
>>
>>338336692
>the girls are cowering in fear while the men go take care of business risking their lives
typical
>>
>>338337430
The only characters actually doing anything are the guys. The paladin glowing with a heroic countenance, being beckoned by the female sorceress. If anything this is fodder for the SJWs; it's highly tilted towards the guys. In short; you might want to be careful of that knee jerk you have there.
>>
>>338337079
Vallejo/Frazetta inspired fantasy art is too sexist for the 21st century.
>>
>>338337430
> righteous symbol of Holy Catholicism forged in the light of god and smelted in the flames of justice
> black

Anon. There's a reason that Tyrael, a fallen angel, is black after the fall and not before.
>>
File: 0086.jpg (32 KB, 422x420) Image search: [Google]
0086.jpg
32 KB, 422x420
Welp, there goes video game discussion. I miss the 80s and 90s when we didn't give a fuck about this retarded social equality bullshit for everything that doesn't cater to our specific needs
>>
Why is this labeled 2009. this art was pre-xpac, it was first released around 2003.
>>
>>338336692
Is the beauty of isometric visuals. Thats the reason why aoe ii has also aged like wine.
>>
>>338336692
>AHHH SAVE ME PALADIN
>>
>>338337626
>>338337770
>falling for it
>>
D3 feels shallow because skills scale off of weapon damage.
Itemization simply becomes, hold shift and look for green.

It's also a preference for me. I'd rather run a boss 1000 times than do rifts with rng that is grating on you.
Also, trading is important in d2 and the most fun player interaction to be had.
>>
>>338337430
what

are you schizophrenic

i cannot picture any other though process that could have led you to write this post
>>
>>338336692
no pixel goodness and simple but effective 3d, ruining the awesome aesthetic image diablo I & II had
colour palette is anti-diablo. there's a lot of pics that make it look x10 better just with filters
constant online
making farming almost impossible so people would get frustrated and spend money
>>
>>338338153
Never been to /pol/, eh?
>>
File: Npc-alkor[1].jpg (23 KB, 164x136) Image search: [Google]
Npc-alkor[1].jpg
23 KB, 164x136
>from the ashes of kuy'leh, I have mixed for you a potion
>>
>>338338118
If by fall for it, you mean, "thinking that you're desperate for attention" Then yes, yes I fell for it.
>>
>>338336692
games were better back then.
>>
File: 1423522881628.jpg (105 KB, 987x720) Image search: [Google]
1423522881628.jpg
105 KB, 987x720
>>338336692
D3 rammed RMAH down our throats until Blizzard got tired of dealing with scammers, lawyers, and whiners.

D3 took character growth, equipment, and play style and chucked it all for a magical DPS number.

D3 killed Deckard Cain.

It didn't help that Blizzard charged nearly 2/3rd's retail price for RoS and barely delivered an 8 hour chapter. People who bought in mostly paid for Bliz to unfuck the game.
>>
>>338339141
>It didn't help that Blizzard charged nearly 2/3rd's retail price for RoS and barely delivered an 8 hour chapter. People who bought in mostly paid for Bliz to unfuck the game.

I have heard that the expansion fixes some issues and makes it playable more like Diablo 2 without retarded story/cutscene shit butting into the gameplay every 3 seconds but I'm never going to find out because it's idiotic that I should have to pay for them to unfuck a game I already paid full price for (more than full price actually since I was dumb enough to buy the D3 CE).
>>
>>338337430
I saw this thread with this post like 2 days ago fuck off with your sjw baiting bullshit copypasta nobody gives a fuck
>>
>>338339005
not him
>>
File: 1377135310481.jpg (1 MB, 625x4933) Image search: [Google]
1377135310481.jpg
1 MB, 625x4933
>>
>>338336692
to me the things i hated about D3 were the fact that health and mana pots were completely discarded. All items are the same size in your inventory. Your attack is locked based on the class rather than the weapon itself.
D3, to me, felt like it was casual-ized to fit a wider range of players that hadn't necessarily played a Diablo game before.
That being said i like D3 and play it constantly but if im honest the game is boringly repetitive and i question myself for spending more hours than i'd like to admit playing it.

take all of this with a grain of salt as it has been around 10 or so years since i played D2 and the issues i listed are things i had difficulty coping with when i first played D3
>>
>>338336692
D2 visuals only added to the feeling of the game overall. D3 looks like torchlight 2 and while there is nothing wrong with TL2 graphically, the style does NOT fit Diablo.

Plus they killed Memeard Cain and replaced him with a worse version. Also earlier designs of Diablo looked about 10X better than the final female Diablo.
>>
>>338336692
Atmosphere
Story
More interesting character builds
God tier soundtrack

Also there already was a hotkey system in diablo 2 with the F keys
>>
I always cheated in Diablo 2 to start at a high level with lots of attribute and skill points ready to spend. If you don't do that you've got an exceptionally dull 6 hours of basic attack ahead of you before you can even get a build started.
>>
File: photo-64230.jpg?_r=1380423659.jpg (9 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
photo-64230.jpg?_r=1380423659.jpg
9 KB, 250x250
>>338337430
>women hiding and waiting for the loot while men are doing the work
>somehow sjw
>>
>>338340496
>Also there already was a hotkey system in diablo 2 with the F keys
You can bind skills to any key in Diablo 2, but it's still less useful than the Diablo 3 system since it's to select the skill for your RMB rather than activating the skill and you can still only have one selected at a time.
>>
The art style is cartoonishly simple and looks more like an excuse to turn out lazy, simple character models than the level of detail we would expect for a 2012 game.
>>
File: diablo reactions.png (1 MB, 2096x1036) Image search: [Google]
diablo reactions.png
1 MB, 2096x1036
>>338336692
>>
>>338340181
There's way too many fallacy and false info to pick apart the whole thing in this obvious bait image so ill just do the major points.

>The importance of gear is tied too closely to the primary stat of the class that is using it
Outright false Primary stat not not the most important part of gear, for the most part the Affixes are and depending on build Crit/Crit hit or CDR, not only that but when an item drops its primary start will always match your class so STR items will never roll for a WD or a Mage etc.

>Since every skill in the game is tied to weapon damage your weapon becomes your single most important piece of equipment.
Again outright false weapon damageis less important than various other modiefiers like elemental % damage increase, specific spell damage increase, Affixes that give bonuses modifiers to spells, Set bonuses, etc.

>Lower level loot in Diablo 2 was viable in End game
That's a lie it simply wasn't, not only that but "end game" Diablo 2 is much MUCH easier than end game Diablo 3 and scaling rifts so minmaxing in D2 was not as important.

>In Diablo 3 you cant find end game loot unless you're at the end game.
False end game gear starts dropping on Torment 1 and its the same as the gear you will get in Torment X you just have a lower chance of getting it.

>Despite the developer's best efforts, even new loot in diablo 3 does little to encourage build diversity in skills or equipmen
This is a straight up lie, there are so many more builds and sets in Diablo 3 than Diablo 2, something you can simply google for yourself. whoever made the image has either never played D3 and making shit up as hes going or intentional lying in a desperate attempt at trolling
>>
File: 1375538796892.jpg (89 KB, 668x500) Image search: [Google]
1375538796892.jpg
89 KB, 668x500
>decide to go back and play D2 LoD online like the good old days
>don't want to rush through it like I used to, doing bug rushes just so I could grind chaos sanctuary or whatever
>make a game lobby that's all about going through the quests and such
>immediately like 5 spam bots join
>i don't remember there being this many
>they leave and a few minutes later real people start joining
>try to talk to them
>they either ask if i have any free items or berate me for not wanting a rush through the acts
>end up playing by myself for about half an hour before getting bored and calling it quits

It was fun back in 2000 but shits just not the same anymore
>>
File: D2 vs D3.jpg (193 KB, 653x1204) Image search: [Google]
D2 vs D3.jpg
193 KB, 653x1204
>>
>>338340685
And their sexy getups would make feminist trash like Game of Thrones blush.
>>
Did anyone here ever manage to make a decent Runeword without botting or being given the parts by someone else?

The highest rune I ever found in the game was a Gul and I couldn't make shit with it. I made some crappy item with Els and Eths but shit like Enigma has and forever will be impossible for me to make.
>>
>>338341910
Made an enigma once and that was it. Used mageplate
>>
>>338337430
>Black guy wasn't there when the fight began
>he's obviously late
Bravo Blizzard.
>>
>>338336692
One of many reasons d2 > d3: it wasn't ruined by casual respeccing. In d3 there's no reason to play again once you've leveled up and your wizard is literally identical to every other wizard. There's no investment or individuality. No interesting decisions to make because every decision is ephemeral and worthless.
>>
>>338336692
Diablo 3 is an inferior game. I don't blame a lot of D3 babbies for defending it and trying to bash D2 because they most are too young to have played D2 in it's prime.
>that feel of leveling with your friends, discovering the numerous fun intricacies of the gaming
>boss farming and finding actually rare and rewarding loot
>rushing friends/being rushed and sharing loot with one another, that general feeling of camaraderie
>dueling and wrecking someone with an unconventional build, stealing all of their gold
>new uber content is patched in and you are actually challenged and need to make even more overpowered chars
Never felt these things playing D3. They messed with the formula and people still ate it up like pigs at a trough. Sad really.
>>
>>338341161
The image was obviously made during and talking about vanilla, when the itemization was far far worse. Reaper of Souls may have improved the situation, but now it's all about set bonuses instead.
>>
File: tentachoke.png (18 KB, 287x271) Image search: [Google]
tentachoke.png
18 KB, 287x271
D2 is virtually unplayable today, it's so bad.

The actual gameplay, running around using skills and killing mobs is so clunky, uninvolving and downright boring it is painful.

D3 fucked up (mostly by trying to MMO) but at least the core gameplay, running around killing shit and using skills is fucking fun.
>>
I haven't thought about it until now but I think it's pretty obvious that in 2016, Diablo 3 is the better game. This is 100% due to adventure mode. Story fucking sucks, but it only has to be done once. Act 5 is actually p good.

>no chat spam
>not just doing Baal runs
>can re-spec at any time, allowing for easily made builds
>can go to any act at any time
>satisfying physics

No one seriously likes Act 2 or 3 in D2. Preferring D2 over 3 is just sour people who haven't gave Reaper of Souls a try (I only did this year). D3 is as hard as you want it to be. D2 is just progression gated.

I still hate how blizzard premiered the game with PvP and how that's still not properly implemented. And no trading. No one will play D3 with me though, so I mostly just solo anyway.

>>338343156
All fucking nostalgia.

D3 was my second biggest hate-boner after Mass Effect 3. So I'm not a blind fanboy.
>>
>>338337837
>pre-expansion
>2003

I winced.
>>
>>338339141
>get D3 for Christmas
>hyped to play it
>start campaign with friend
>the art style is weird and I'm not fond of the classes >maybe i just need to break the game in
>get to "cutscene" where Cain dies
>I'm dead silent
>"... Hey man, did that really just happen?"
>"Yeah... "
>friend has played before so I ask"You can spoil it- does Cain come back?"
>he already knows what's going to happen
>"No, he doesn't. He's dead."
>"I'm gonna get off"
>quit game
>immediately uninstall it

That's the only time I've ever quit a game like that, but holy fuck. I'm still mad.
>>
>>338345107
Oh and guess what, they make Tyreal a nigger. They pretty much ruined what cool characters existed in D2 in 1 act of D3
>>
>>338344226
>d2 progression gated
Wow, I guess somebody had no friends to rush him
>just doing Baal runs
Never farmed any gear for yourself, never did ubers, never helped anyone out, never spent any time dueling, trading
>can go to any act at any time
Ok now I'm convinced you haven't ever played D2, you poor soul

>No one will play D3 with me
Not surprised. I still am playing D2 with some friends though.
>>
>>338337430
ZAKARUM'D
>>
>>338338494
The NPCs that offer gambling are always creeps/assholes.
>>
I hate how stats were oversimplified in D3. Attack speed means nothing. Damage types mean nothing. Defense stats are all the same. Main stats are all the same. No scaling on block and dodge. Might as well remove all this and just put +% damage/health on all gears.
>>
>>338345358
1) I only played D2 with friends, except when it first came out and used a trainer to make myself 99 on an open character
2) Being pro-active in the community is now essential to the game?
3) Sorry, you can just skip to Act 5 on a level 1 character? I must have forgotten that. Clearly I haven't played D2, even though I've bought over 4 physical copies
4) Friends moved on to different games/don't play games/not friends anymore

thanks for the shitpost though.
>>
>>338343156
Oh fuck off and go back to your Baal runs.
I don't remember leveling in D2. I remember botting your way to endgame to try out builds.
>>
>tfw never beat D2
Sh-should I do it?
>>
>>338348305
it's too fucking late
>>
>>338348305
What do you mean you never "beat it"?
>>
>>338336692
I like diablo 3 better than 2, but i still really like 1, the atmosphere of diablo 1 is amazing and actually feels sinister and threatening, Inquisitor is pretty good in this regard but the combat is tedious at first.
>>
>>338339351
It doesn't help the game, it pigeonholes it into a downward spiral of shit rng dungeons with the same 3 tile sets you look for to progress. Then you have to pray for good density on top.
>>
>>338346059
>what is grush?
And you used to be able to level to mid 90s in about 3 hours but they nerfed ubers.
>>
>>338349469
I wish I could play D1. Had the keys for it but the colour was all fucked, same with SC1.

>>338350314
>3 hours
Okay, I'm talking about instantly. You can get to max level in D3 in ~3 hours. I don't see your point.
>>
>>338336692
does anyone have the anime paint edit of this picture? its fucking hilarious
>>
>>338336692
Artstyle. It was ridiculously grimdark, and that was pretty fuckin' great. Also, while not "realistic", it had proper anatomical proportions on human characters and wasn't very cartoony.
>>
>>338337591
And the black guy is late.
>>
D3 cost me -760 dollars

Pretty good in my book
>>
File: 1392011971891.png (79 KB, 250x282) Image search: [Google]
1392011971891.png
79 KB, 250x282
>>338336692
Nostalgia. D3's core mechanics are straight up better designed and more fun.

If the story wasn't so utterly trash, and a few more kinks had been ironed out of certain combat elements (like original shielding), people would have sung a different tune.

and to continue with my unpopular opinions, I think that the auction house was a great idea and I hate that they got rid of it and trading.
>>
>>338353543
>If the story wasn't so utterly trash
I disagree entirely, the story in d3 was fucking awesome, it completely ties all 3 games together.
>>
File: 1242957578153.png (119 KB, 450x322) Image search: [Google]
1242957578153.png
119 KB, 450x322
>>338353543
>D3's core mechanics are straight up better designed and more fun.
wow I dont even need to read the rest
>>
>>338353543
>>338353853
this sums up /v/ pretty nicely
>>
Dat necromancer...

>the p-power of rock compels you!
>>
>>338353543
Te story in D3 was waaaaaaaay to much in the way. In D2 it was perfect: an act cinematic, and some dialogue with people in town if you want to. Thats it.
>>
File: shit.jpg (4 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
shit.jpg
4 KB, 480x360
Why do all the bosses in D3 talk to you so much, it makes them seem fucking retarded.
Azmodan literally calls you up on his demon cell phone to tell you what he's doing so you can go stop him.

Diablo literally said one thing in all of D2 and it was fucking awesome
>>
>>338354669
exactly what I'm trying to say here >>338354586
>>
Character building
Laddering
Items were worth a fuck

Problem with D3 is once you get to 70 with a barbarian, thats it for your barbarian, after that its just farm items and paragon which is static skill damage increases

In Diablo 2 you spent hours and hours min-maxing your character, from 1-99, in diablo 3 you get to 70 in less then 2 minutes then have nothing to do but grind your DPS higher
>>
I don't understand how Diablo as a whole is any fun at all. All you do is spam moves over and over while walking down long hallways of overly drawn out levels. It doesn't have any depth, or am I missing something? Is the desire t change moves and get better equips the real fun? I just find the button mashing (or more appropriately) holding so damn repetitive and shallow.
>>
>>338354251
>only my opinion is correct!
eat a dick you self righteous nigger
>>
>>338354586
this.

>"ur teh chosen nephalim now. ur destiny is to win"
>>
File: d3.png (166 KB, 460x300) Image search: [Google]
d3.png
166 KB, 460x300
This is the actual diablo 3
>>
>>338336692

D2's color is just better than 3 honestly. Game has a grimmer tone about it and the world does feel a bit unsettling. In d3, its very bland and looks like they didnt even try. Hell the only good looking area is pandamonium fortress.

I think what really turned me off to the game is the story. I remember being pretty excited for it but suddenly Adria wasnt just some random witch in d1, bitch was in league with diablo all along! Also remember Cain? Lets bring him back again then kill him for no reason! Also Tyreal the badass fucking angel transforms into Tyrone the boring nigga because fuck it we need all the call backs we can get!

Im pretty much ranting, but d2 is just better. Hell even d1 is better. I hate how the playstyle for d3 is rush through everything and try to be fast as possible with rifts.
>>
>>338355294
During alpha-beta, looked like it was/would be.
Now... meh. The labyrinth was ok for a week. I'm not looking forward to anything really.
>>
>>338355425
>rush through everything and try to be fast as possible with rifts.
this is also a problem with Path of Exile, just replace rifts with maps and same deal.
>>
>Guided arrow
>100% pierce chance

Times were good
>>
>>338353853
I'm a D3 fan and this is bait.

>>338354586
Agreed since launch.

>>338354669
ARROGANT NEPHELAM

D3 has its faults, but even those included, the quality of life improvements (after years) make it a better game to play. I think it was shiggy toyota who said that as long as the character is enjoyable to play in a blank space (speaking about Mario64), then the game is fundamentally fun.

D3 is more fun to control. Really dig the console controls too.

>>338355425
Blame Metzen. He's a fucking awful writer and the whole fiasco with the creator of Diablo is just fucking despicable. Him and Jay Wilson, iirc. Don't rifts NOT count for killing sprees?
>>
>>338341161
does it have runewords? That was one of the best thing about diablo 2, I played D3 at the release and the crafting and socketing was joke compared to D2.
>>
anybody know where i can get LOD 1.12 as a dirty piratefag? i want to play with the high resolution mod but that doesn't work with 1.13
>>
>>338355862
No, items with sockets are only useful for stuffing gems into. Haven't played the expansion, but from what I've seen, the only usable items are legendaries.
>>
File: latest.jpg (53 KB, 225x241) Image search: [Google]
latest.jpg
53 KB, 225x241
>>338336692
Pic is pretty realistic, two white men overwhelmed by all the work, one white woman just looking instead of working at second spic woman mirin nigger co-worker who's going late but won't get fired because of diversity quotas anyway.
>>
I think it's the horror aspect in D2 that was missing from D3.

Remember the preview for Diablo 3 showing initial gameplay, how as you explored the cathedral you'd get snippets of something huge moving around in the cathedral underbelly?

And then you eventually fought the boss, and there were custom death animations?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_ICADAFyDs

They opted instead to make the game much 'faster', and less horror atmosphere oriented. So now it sucks.
>>
>>338336692
>There are definitely things I like about Diablo 3. It's a good looking game,
>Diablo 3
>good looking game

Cool bait.
>>
>>338341302
You forgot: D3 - SINGLE Player requires being always online with chance of getting QUEUE(not often since people with taste dropped this shit immediatly.
>>
>>338357002
It was never going to be horrific with these shitty cartoony WoW graphics
>>
File: 1461879099249.jpg (78 KB, 960x960) Image search: [Google]
1461879099249.jpg
78 KB, 960x960
>>338337430
Why are people so obsessed with sjw shit anyway and why do they even care so much?
>>
>>338357526
Diablo 3's active player count is in the triple digits.

You will never get a queue. Even a single server could handle this tiny playerbase.
>>
Diablo I, II and III only share the name, the atmosphere and gameplay is totally different. It's really hard to even say they are spiritual successors to each other.
>>
>>338356206
just buy it, its like $5 you fucking nigger
>>
>>338336692
D3 is my eternal butthurt
>>
File: 8d0.jpg (18 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
8d0.jpg
18 KB, 500x500
>>338341302
Pic related.

>>338336692
>A yo hol up so you be sayin we wuz angelz n shiet
>>
File: Necromancer-melee.jpg (25 KB, 395x460) Image search: [Google]
Necromancer-melee.jpg
25 KB, 395x460
how did we go from this?
>>
File: Hots-Xul-Podest.png (543 KB, 1956x1080) Image search: [Google]
Hots-Xul-Podest.png
543 KB, 1956x1080
>>338361626
to this?
>>
>>338355294
i'm pretty hyped for prophecy

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1663440

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsE_lMdUTd0
>>
>What exactly is it that makes Diablo 2 so much better than Diablo 3?
b.net

also challenge

yeah, sure, if you know the tricks of the trade you can rape the game... I used to be a noob though. And then I got decent. Then a friend came along and showed me there was an even greater level of exploiting the game.

D3? It's pretty much cookie clicker
>>
File: 1449352082293.jpg (163 KB, 559x627) Image search: [Google]
1449352082293.jpg
163 KB, 559x627
Biggest point is obviously itemisation. The loot in D3 feels unimportant and shitty most of the time.
You get handed uniques like candy and everything else is trash.
The leveling in D3 is so fucking fast, you cant really commit to one playstyle because there are new skills every 5 minutes.
Lastly I hate the way that you can access every single spell and perk in D3 with your characters once you leveled up, makes the character progression feel non-existent.
The only parts I like about D3 is the UI and the graphics, the rest is casualized bullshit.
>>
>>338341164
Well, it was funner when more people played but the community left is good at the game. The end game is botting and PvP. When I play D2 I run through the shit myself and make games like, Cain quest, trist runs, Andy, act 2 start, tombs, cows etc. etc. I make it fun and people follow me and appreciate it. At max I demolish the PvP scene and ft5 everyone that wants that ass beat. You just suck at D2. You never knew why it was fun or how it is played. Bandwagoning faggots need not play.
>>
>>338361707
D2 Necro was the only hero I was waiting for in HotS. I was willing to give them another chance. Surely they wouldn't fuck up bringing over one of my favourite characters from one of my favourite games.
AND THEN THIS FUCKER HAPPENED. FUCK YOU BLIZZARD. FUCK EVERYTHING.
>>
>>338362290
gameplay wise he is cool char, but lets face it he has nothing to do with the D2 necro
>>
>>338337430
>Two white dudes losing to literal satan
>The women are useless
>Black guy is extremely late, probably mindless Hammerdin build anyway
>SJW
>>
>>338336692
>Diablo 2
>better than Diablo 3
Not since RoS released, and even before then D3 still had a far upper hand in actually feeling like an entertaining game and not just a left click simulator.
>>
>>338356206
Pirate the base game and get the patch for 1.12, iirc blizz keeps all the old patches downloadable for free.
>>
>>338363937
I didn't know there was a way to download individual patches rather than having the game automatically patch itself to whatever was latest.
>>
>It's a good looking game
Stopped reading right there.
Anybody liking 3d-designs from Blizzard is cancer.
Yes, even you, WC3 boys.
>>
Diablo 3 was sterile as fuck, which is one of the main problems with all Blizzard games since 2008.

>unimaginative art direction, has the modern generic Blizzard look
>stripping down much of the variety in gameplay and characters
>entwining that colossal failure down as RMAH deep into the central design of the game
>>
>>338336692
A few things.

>Itemization is pretty good
>Runes are fun even if imbalanced
>Builds are varied
>Game is pretty fast
>Story was pretty good
>Locations were interesting
>Artstyle was good

Diablo 3 suffered from controversial decisions like the RMAH and always online on PC
The slower pace also harmed it at first along with the removal of customization.

The bumpy start was very hard to recover from and it certainly put a pretty nasty skew on how Diablo 3 could be received.
Diablo 3 is okayish after lots of patches and the expansion. Not particularly amazing though.
>>
I hope Blizzard is not reading these D2 fanboy threads and fucks up the sequel.
>>
We should all keep in mind that we are being judgemental toward a pretty well made game; especially so in this thread comparing it to D2. It may not be a great Diablo game but what it is above the average standard for vidya.

Diablo 2 breakpoint system, control over how many frames before you attack and recover and how fast you can teleport or cast a fireball with the potential to cast them twice as fast. All the planning with what item is best in a slot while adhering to strict BP guidelines knowing res/DR caps and +skills boosting various things. You had items that had a certain skill on them, ie. Chaos, Enigma, Beast and sometimes a godly rare would drop that would fart all over any unique or runeword in game. All of this and more has added to a sophistication that simply hasn't been matched by its' predecessor.
>>
>>338365278
I've never claimed Diablo 3 is a 'bad' game, it's just that what's the point of playing a game when you could be using that time to play its superior predecessor?

It's also funny when you consider that if Blizzard for whatever reason died tomorrow you wouldn't be able to ever play Diablo 3 again, but you could keep playing Diablo 2 forever.
>>
>>338336692
What are they saying?
>>
>>338365595
Oh, whoops. Besides my whole post being a grammatical mess I meant the opposite of predecessor. Admittedly without looking it up, idk what the word is. It's too early in the day for my autism. What I meant was D2 is the better game basically. D3 is a pretty good game for what it is.
>>
>>338336692
D3's story kills the game no matter how many new features are added. From Cains death to I'LL GET YOU NEXT TIME, BATMAN! villains. Everything is so fucking cringeworthy. Like in act 4 you hear Diablos fucking ramblings like 'how does it feel to taste your own fear, nephalem!' I do an eyeroll just thinking about it. I mean marius dialogues in D2 set the tone as fuck. Also when you finally summoned Diablo and heard his 'Not even death can save you from me!' you knew it was fucking on. Nothing else needed to be said. All in all D3 is a decent hack n slash time waster but you didn't feel that respect for it after finishing it, if anything you just felt contempt just how much they dropped the ball story and tone wise.
>>
File: Screenshot 2016-05-21 05.48.58.png (1 MB, 1278x959) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot 2016-05-21 05.48.58.png
1 MB, 1278x959
Hows the grind going?
My necro is level 70 at the moment, just being lazy
>>
>>338361707
>>338361626
Not only do I hate how he looks now, but I hate his name aswell.

Sounds like a african docter or something
>>
>>338366440
>boring ass summonmancer over glorious bonenecro
>ever
>>
File: 836_269974951.jpg (90 KB, 960x540) Image search: [Google]
836_269974951.jpg
90 KB, 960x540
>Diablo

Just play the best ARPG currently available in the market right now
>>
File: 1380918123791.jpg (89 KB, 370x278) Image search: [Google]
1380918123791.jpg
89 KB, 370x278
>>338341302
Wait what now? DII pay to win?
>>
>>338366883
I did, played the shit out of it.
Waiting for more stuff now. Might try a diff class since I basically just went pure assassin or whatever.
>>
D2
>frightening artstyle
>great ambiance
>lighting, scenery, enemy design, level design and music set a threatening environment
>items and character stat+skill specialisation allow for larger array of play-styles

D3
>artstyle looks like a grindy MMO, completely non-threatening
>plays like a grindy MMO
>feels like Torchlight, not Diablo
>ambiance obliterated by the over-saturation of special effects, from both players and monsters, making every fight look like a fucking lightshow
>item sets force players into one of about 2-3 ways of playing a certain class, can change playstyles completely on a dime
>forces shitty story with shittier writing down the player's throat

I'm going to be upset forever, aren't I?
>>
>>338361707
jesus ... fucking ... christ.
>>
>>338367681
>>338361707

WE WUZ BEEFY BARBARIANS AND DUAL WIELDING N SHIT
>>
>>338366284
>when you finally summoned Diablo and heard his 'Not even death can save you from me!' you knew it was fucking on.
Golden Years.
>>
>>338367671
Just go play a horror game or watch puidipie and leave ARPGs to the real fans
>>
>>338368097
Diablo 3 isn't even an RPG, let alone a more refined-gameplay ARPG than Diablo 2
>>
Diablo 1-3, all fun experiences in their own right but we all know D2 is the Mac Daddy.
>>
>>338339141
People jerk off to D2 equipment but in the end, it's nothing special.
>>
>>338367105
People whine about RMAH in D3 when in reality D2 just had tons of people buying from 3rd party sites.
>>
>>338367671
>D2
>Not playing like a grindy MMO, even worse grind than D3 as well

>item sets force players into one of about 2-3 ways of playing a certain class, can change playstyles completely on a dime
There are like 4-5 sets per class and then there's the set for Ancient Items (non-set) making you stronger.

Also
>D2
>Stat point allocation
>Not just 90% vitality
:^)
>>
>>338368508
Diablo 2 wasn't designed around it being there though.
>>
>>338341027
>neo /v/
how pathetic this board has become.
>>
>>338368329
Do you have any facts to back that up?
>>
Diablo 2 had a story and dark atmosphere.
Diablo 3 only has shitty WoW cartoon crap.

Act 5 of LoD was the same shit though.

Diablo 1 remains the best game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I22Ivb8ELzQ
>>
>>338368629
The drop rates were fixed in the end, D2 RWT continues on to this day.
>>
>>338336692
diablo 3 has the best gameplay but they never understood loot

gameplay is only fun for so many hours. looting is fun forever
>>
>>338368641
>no character customisation
wow that was hard
>>
>>338368856
Do you have any facts to back that up?
>>
>>338368875
You can change playstyles and abilities on the fly
You can do the same in Contra
>>
>>338337430
>There are now people on /v/ who are more easily triggered into spouting buzzwords than most SJW feminists.
>>
>>338368949
>there are now people on /v/ who fall for bait this weak
>>
>>338368929
>The fact that you can switch around abilities means that there's no character customization
pls just pretend to be retarded

Because by your logic even Diablo 2 wouldn't have character customization.
>>
>>338336692
>Diablo 3
>good looking game
>>
>>338369064
How do I play a Singer Barb if I invest fully into Whirly Barb? I don't have the skills, equipment or the stats for it

All it takes for completely changing your character in D3 is to change your skills, and the only way to improve your character is to find loot with bigger numbers than the one's you're using.
>>
>>338341027
>no Hellfire
>no LoD
But still, guaranteed replies.
>>
>>338369341
>people still holding onto this notion that it's a good thing to not be able to change your character

boy, you know what i love? having to play hundreds more hours to use different skills. sure is fun.

it's not like i have a job and responsibilities these days
>>
>>338369341
> I don't have the skills, equipment or the stats for it
You could reset that shit, dumbo.

Equipment is the same deal in D3. If you don't have the gear for a build, you won't play that.

>and the only way to improve your character is to find loot with bigger numbers than the one's you're using.
You have never played D3, have you?

Besides that, it pretty much applies to D2 too.

http://www.diablofans.com/builds

Knock yourself out.
>>
>>338361626
>>338361707
Fuck no.

That D2 Necro doesn't even need a Shako to ezpk that scrub. He's already got HOTO and Enigma. Even gimping himself more by using a shitty Lidless instead of Spirit.
>>
>>338369453
If you're so busy and important and cool and don't have the time, why are you even playing these hack and slash games? The whole genre is a timesink

>people still holding onto this notion that it's a good thing to not be able to change your character
The other half of the problem of D3 not even being an RPG is that there is NO building. Plenty of RPGs allow respecs, but they reset things such as stats and abilities to zero and you need to rebuild into the character you want to play. Diablo 3 has no such thing - all that seperates a campaign-level whirly barb from a HotA barb is a 20 second cooldown.
>>
>>338369901
sinking time to have fun is one thing

sinking time in an attempt to have fun because you can't change your character is simply outdated
>>
>>338369934
>didn't even read
ya but then why does diablo 3 not even have character building at all?
>>
>>338369901
Having to level up and spend yet another day doing tedious shit to get to even remotely interesting part is fucking shit. That is a real timesink with no real meaning to it.

>Diablo 3 has no such thing - all that seperates a campaign-level whirly barb from a HotA barb is a 20 second cooldown.
What.
>>
>>338370008
why does it need any "character building"

i couldnt care less if diablo 3 lets me allocate stats and stuff. it doesnt need to be explained why it doesnt have these things. it doesnt have them because its diablo 3, which is a game that doesnt have those things. understand?

having more numbers to adjust doesn't make a game inherently better.

and pretending that you didn't follow 100% prescribed builds in diablo 2 is hilarious. everyone followed prescribed builds in d2. nobody built stats differently to begin with.
>>
>>338370023
>i dont care about character building, i just want to fight things so im glad it doesn' have it

>>338370090
>i dont care about character building, it doesnt make the game better so im glad it doesnt have it

see
>>338368329
>>338368641
>>338368856

The point wasn't that Diablo 3 wasn't a good game, the point was that Diablo 3 isn't an RPG.
So uhh, thanks for agreeing with me I guess?
>>
>>338370090
of course having more 'numbers' choices doesn't inherently make a game better.
But it would make Diablo III better.
>>
>>338370307
>It doesn't have character building because the character building isn't the way I want it!
>>
>>338370307
>So uhh, thanks for agreeing with me I guess?

why are you trying to argue with people who arent arguing with you, and then telling them what your point was? thats literal neckbeard autism shit
>>
File: 4-chan-daffy-duck-stonefaced.jpg (205 KB, 1477x1078) Image search: [Google]
4-chan-daffy-duck-stonefaced.jpg
205 KB, 1477x1078
>>338368419

bbbbbbut

>melee
>grief + fortitude/enigma
>spellcaster
>spirit+spirit+enigma

is INSANE variety!

I mean, it's so much fun knowing a grief phaseblade has literally 4x more damage output than the BEST unique elite weapons in the game (oh and you know why botd/grief eth pb's are indestructible? cause unique weapons literally break every 10 minutes LOLDURABILITY).

Try playing a melee fighter in hell without a grief/botd and fortitude/guillaume, you'll be stuck fighting zombies while a naked sorceress one shots entire packs with blizzard.

>m-muh immunities

There are clvl 82 dungeons that do not spawn any cold immunes at all.
>>
The only real debate here is whether this is real life paid for by Blizzard shilling, or someone trying to force a meme troll opinion. I'm leaning towards shill 2bh
>>
>>338370374
Diablo 3's 'character building' is relegated to end-game exclusive item grinding, dictated solely by what set you have on
Eg. Finding a weapon in Contra

>>338370382
lol why you even posting then butting into conversations and not even talking about the right thing
Do you have a social disability?
>>
>>338370502
>immunities
>what is infinity
>>
File: 1410609459204.jpg (191 KB, 712x612) Image search: [Google]
1410609459204.jpg
191 KB, 712x612
>>338370682
there is insane amount of shilling on 4chan nowdays, but blizz outdid themselves with overwatch, literally 5-6 threads all the time on front page for this dogshit game, it's insane

this must be the reason why the game is so lacking in content, they probably spent 95% of game budget on shilling
>>
>>338370752

Yeah another good example of build variety

>be spellcaster
>infinity merc
>1 shot entire screen
>no infinity merc
>stick to ancient tunnels or the pits or countess forever
>use a shitty hybrid build instead, which can still get cucked by double/triple immunes

BUILD VARIETY BRAH!!
>>
>>338370743
>Solely by set
Just stop.
>>
>>338371049
Immunities are one of the worst things in diablolikes.
>>
>>338336692
Druid and necromancer shit all over d3's chars.
>>
File: 1458757833796.jpg (45 KB, 460x400) Image search: [Google]
1458757833796.jpg
45 KB, 460x400
>>338370858
The worst part is mods have done absolutely nothing about it, makes me think they're in on it somehow. They're probably all getting free tickets to see the Warcraft movie if they turn a blind eye to all the blatant shilling that's been going on for weeks.

If any other game flooded the front page this much 24/7 for weeks it would have been booted off to /vg/ so fucking fast.
>>
>>338371049
I was just posting about infinity because if you have that then immunities are worthless.

If you want to talk about build variety, well I can't really disagree with you about that. Weapon variety is even worse.
>>
>>338371812
Shill meme is the worst.

They're only a nuisance if it gets to trying to get clicks. At one point, not sure if it was gamespot or what there were continous

>Image.jpg
>Quote from article
>Link to article
threads all fucking over. That was actually shit.
>>
>>338336692
Diablo 2 had much better artstyle and atmosphere.

It also wasn't afraid to show some pretty dark shit, like the various lootable corpses in each act, the cinematics and the story in general, it took chances, and they paid off well. On top of that, the game was a fair challenge for your average throughout its entirety, with some really hard spikes (Duriel still remains more memorable than ANYTHING in diablo 3)

Diablo 3, while okay in itself, lost everything that made diablo great for a generic chosen one story and almost wow-like artstyle.

On top of that, the way they handled the direction of the game early on after release was abysmal to say the least. And the downright outrageous artificial difficulty in inferno was insulting, and killed most players interest by act 2 (if they even got that far)

TLDR Diablo 2 knew what it wanted to do and how to achieve it, Diablo 3 was made by amateurs that didn't grasp at all what made Diablo 2 so damn great.
>>
>>338366615
You know his name was actually Xul right? It was in the diablo 2 manual
>>
>>338371812
>If any other game flooded the front page this much 24/7 for weeks it would have been booted off to /vg/ so fucking fast.
Please try to hide how fucking new you are.
>>
>>338372704
>Bad design is acceptable in D2

Duriel was shit design.

>Crying about artificial difficulty when Duriel was exactly that on top of immunity bullshit existing in D2
Wew
>>
>>338372836
Wasn't crying brah, was simply stating a fact.

And yeah, for the first couple of attempts I suppose Duriel would seem unfair, that is until you get good.
>>
>>338373090
>Get good
>In a loot based game

Duriel is fucking bullshit design and there's no way around that. Pretty fast + huge slowing aura for both MS and hitting like a truck very early into the game and not too many ways to defend yourself against him.

Complete shit design.

Maybe you should've gotten good and got through Inferno, yeah?
>>
>>338336692
TRADING

D3's loot system is so antisocial. There is barely any incentive to communicate with other players.

In D2 trading was the only effective way to get the gear you want. You had to actually communicate with people because loot had VALUE.

D3 is a lot more fun now than it was at first, but it is still missing this essential endgame element. That and PvP. D2 had some hilarious PvP.
>>
>>338337430
This is a joke familia. Are you all so jaded you can't even have a good laugh?
>>
>>338373321
>In D2 trading was the only effective way to get the gear you want. You had to actually communicate with people because loot had VALUE.

Worst shit ever. What if you wanted to play it offline & solo then why the fuck do you need to suffer with garbage drop rates? The storage given in 2 was complete garbage too.
>>
>>338373612
You're such a pleb that it hurts
>>
>>338373741
Prove me wrong, then.

Without PlugY solo play is completely miserable. Considering the shit Internet connections at the time why would you ever make offline play completely miserable?
>>
>>338373282
>crying about duriel of all things

lmao you must be literally mentally retarded
>>
>>338373867
>Andariel = Easy
>Duriel = Stupid hard for a second boss
>Mephisto = Easy
>Diablo = Moderately difficult depending on resistances, pretty easy in the end
>Baal = hit til it dies

What should I cry about then considering he is objectively the strongest?
>>
better play a game with daresso in it
>>
>>338374087
You sound like the same type of pleb I used to make money off selling torches and anni's because you were either too lazy to dclone/uber or you couldn't git gud.
>>
>>338375445
That doesn't answer my question, that's just a lazy ad hominem.
>>
>>338336692
>It's a good looking game
Oh gosh no.
Diablo 3 looks mostly attrocious.
>>
>>338373090

>y-y-y-y-ou c-cc-an't critcize anything aabout diablo 2... otherwise y-you suck!!

d3 is an excellent game, theres almost no flaws at all, aside from you being a shitter.

>r-rifts too hard...
>>
>>338337430
The women are hiding while the white men are fighting, black man is late

That's one way to see it too
>>
>>338336692
Let me tell you the true meaning behind this picture
The Sorc and Amazon are both married to Diablo(polygamy is aight)
Diablo caught Necromancer and Barb fucking his bitches and now he's bitch slapping them
Now Paladin is coming because he's late to the cuck party, but Sorceress is telling him, nah, come back later
>>
>>338375940
>thinking that Duriel is the strongest boss
Maybe in key quest but he's no Uber Tristram.
Thread replies: 193
Thread images: 27

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.