[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I don't understand how this game is "cosmic horror"
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 3
File: Bloodborne Cover.jpg (160 KB, 350x493) Image search: [Google]
Bloodborne Cover.jpg
160 KB, 350x493
I mean, the game was great, but doesn't the fact that you can fight the Great Ones and actually win kind of invalidate and claims to be Lovecraftian it could make?
>>
>>338315008
Lovecraftian aesthetics you retard. Nobody ever said anything about the monsters being literal old ones.
>>
Yeah, a lot of people object to it being called Lovecraftian, but it's certainly cosmic horror. And it seems like there are higher-level Great Ones that you wouldn't really be able to fight, and the ones you do fight are more like normal Old Ones.
>>
Well you do start to go mad by facing these beings and gaining insight. So you're not walking away entirely unscathed.
>>
>>338315008
From I could tell you never actually fought a "great one." You pretty much always faced some sort of "lesser great one"
>>
A game where you couldn't fight the bosses would be pretty shit, but I get your point.
However you cant deny that the influence is layed on thick. The Milkweed Rune literally says HP on it, and an area is literally just Insmouth
>>
File: Bloodborne__20151223164604.jpg (224 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Bloodborne__20151223164604.jpg
224 KB, 1920x1080
>>338315008
But dont you become a great one at the end?
>>
>>338315008
No, because you don't "win."

You either:

>Allow yourself to die and continue living in the waking world. Having not accomplished anything

>Serve the great ones as Gherman's replacement

>Become an infant Great One yourself.
The only Great One you fight in the game (Moon Presence) can only be fought when you're locked into the 2 typical Lovecraftian Bad Ends (serving or becoming a great one.) The only "happy" end in the game only has you dealing with 5 much lesser great ones:

>Celestial Emissary
A collection of human mooks trying to ascend to higher beings

>Ebrietas
Only a daughter of the Cosmos. Abandoned by her kin. The only thing special about her if her blood being the foundation of the healing church

>ROM
A human turned Ayyy

>Wet Nurse
A lesser great one who's only around to be a surrogate mother for Mergo

>Amygdala
There's fucking loads of these things and they're not exactl what you'd consider an eldritch terror.

The only real Great Ones are Mergo and Oedon. Neither of which you even so much as encounter in this game. One drove the entire school of Mensis mad and trapped them in a nightmare. The other lives without form and gets bitches pregnant through words.
>>
Probably. But it's a pretty underused aesthetic so I'm fine with them using it, even though I think I would have preferred a focus on werewolves and vampires in a more Castlevania type vein for monsters.
>>
>>338316042
Ebritas was a left behind great one. As was Moon Presence.
>>
>>338315008
i's retards seeing hat the want to see
>>
>>338318696
>has anyone really been far as decided to use even go want to do look more like
>>
>>338317479
>amygdala
>not an eldritch terror
>a bunch of giant hideous monsters with to many limbs and giant heads full of eyes that are invisible and just hang off the sides of buildings watching us constantly is not terrifying
>>
Cthulhu got run over by a boat and popped like a balloon in the original story.
>>
PC port when?
>>
>>338315008

That's because you're a casual faggot who doesn't realize it's not based on his Cthulhu stuff, it's based on The Dream Quest of Unknown Kadath AKA the fantasy story. The Great Ones are not the Great Old Ones, they're directly named after the different group of weakling gods of Earth looked after by Nyarlathotep who lives on the moon in the Dream Quest. Hint Hint.

Only main fiction reference is Oedon, who operates like Yog Sothoth does by impregnating women and giving birth to freaky kids.
>>
>you can fight the Great Ones and actually win
Just like Ctulhu was run over by a boat, or the spawn of Yog-Sothoth was put down by some old scholars, the great old ones aren't really dead and haven't really lost.
>>
>>338319521
You just need more insight
>>
I'm sure being a hunter trapped in the Dream contributes to your ability to fight Great Ones.
>>
>>338316150
>an area is literally just Insmouth

Where?
>>
>>338320980

last area of the DLC.
>>
>>338315008
>I mean, the game was great
AH AH AH AH AH AH AH AH AH AH AH AH
>>
>There are people that haven't read Lovecraft's comedies

http://www.hplovecraft.com/writings/texts/fiction/se.aspx
>>
It's not a Lovecraft game, they take some core ideas, that's it.

Lovecraft world says you can't kill them? Ok, Bloodborne says the opposite, what's the fucking problem? Literature, videogames, movies...All of them are creative stuff, just let them do what they want to do.
>>
It wasn't marketed as a Lovecraftian game. You're supposed to slowly realize it while playing the game.
>>
The game wasn't about HPs stories or a goth vampire feel. More so a combination of the two, a new genre. The new genre shall be known as cowboy bebop.
>>
the only full power great one you fight is the moon presence, and at that point you have so many eyes lined in your head from the umbilical cords, you are in the process of acceding to godhood and becoming a great one yourself
>>
Lovecraft's whole thing was things being too much for human mind to comprehend. It's a really cool concept, but basically impossible to adapt to anything but literature.

That's why everyone just takes parts of the mythos instead of being completely faithful to it.
>>
>>338317479
>>ROM
>A human turned Ayyy

Where is that hinted at?

Amygdala might be a great one. The others you see are lesser amygdalas.

Ebritas is a left behind great one.

Wet nurse might be one, yearning for a surrogate and all.

Moon Presence is definitely one.
>>
>>338317479
I would like to point out the fact that you are only able to resist the Moon Presence's brainwashing, is by consuming the umbilical cords of other Great One's.
>>
>>338326150
>Where is that hinted at?

It's stated by Micolash that Rom was elevated.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (40 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
40 KB, 1280x720
You can't create visual representations of "unimaginable horror" which is why lovecraft is at its best in literature.

You can create monsters and a setting that make the player feel as if the very world is his hostile or outright indifferent to your existence, which is what bloodborne does well and something touched on in Lovecraft stories.
>>
>>338327772
I would argue that video games could do insanity better than any other media, if the actually tried.

>Look at unfathomable monstrosity
>Camera has some kind of filter where everything is distorted and it can't be seen properly

>Have an NPC as a buddy in game
>Suddenly you get attacked by a monster and kill it
>Turns out it was actually the friendly NPC

>Giant chasm, try to jump over it, looks like you won't make it
>Turns out it was solid ground all along

You could do a LOT of shit in video games that would be amazing, but no one tries usually.
>>
>>338321198
Should have been "AWAY! AWAY!"
>>
>>338315008
First, it's Lovecraft-inspired, not a Lovecraft adaption, it plays by its own rules.
Second, even in Lovecraft's work, Great Old Ones weren't invulnerable. Dagon and Cthulhu got their shit wrecked by boats.
Third, if killing a Great One is a deal breaker, you can argue that the only true mature Great One you encounter in the game is the plain doll, who is invincible.

>>338327772
>You can't create visual representations of "unimaginable horror"
I'd argue the Brain Trusts/Winter Lanterns do exactly that. You never see their true form, rather their form changes depending on who is looking at them, which is why they resemble the doll and the messengers, things that the player character already trusts.

>>338328275
Wasn't that what Eternal Darkness was all about?
>>
Lovecraft has several tiers of old gods.
Not ever god is an unseeable, unkillable super being.
>>
>>338317479
The Brain of Mensis is directly stated to be a proper Great One, yet it dies with literally no struggle. You can try to dance around this all you want, but they just fucked up BB's lore.
>>
>>338331256
>The Brain of Mensis is directly stated to be a proper Great One

source
>>
>>338331293
Living String item description:
>Special material used in a Holy Chalice

>The immense brain that Mensis retrieved from the nightmare was indeed lined with eyes on the inside, but they were of an evil sort, and the brain itself was terrible rotten.

>But even still, it was a legitimate Great One, and left a relic. A living relic, at that, which is a precious thing indeed.
>>
>>338315008
Anons have posted excerpts and summaries of some Lovecraft stories which features elements the Bloodborne copies completely.

Hell, the ending where you wake up and see shining sky and shit is ripped 100% from a Lovecraft story.

Why are people still denying this shit?
>>
>>338331408
>brain itself terrible rotten

same shit as rom
>>
>>338315008
>what is oedon
>>
>>338331562
>But even still, it was a legitimate Great One
That's right anon, keep dancing around it.
Honestly, while I love BB the lore was a massive disappointment to me for this very reason. It copies the aesthetic of LC wonderfully, but completely fucked up its own atmosphere by making the Great Ones just really strong aliens rather than eldrich horrors. We even know their entire motivation for their actions(something that is completely wrong for a Lovecraftian story): they want children.
If you enjoy the lore, go ahead, but it totally flopped for me.
>>
Yes, it does. But everything praised about this game turns into a circlejerk so naturally it's totally the best Lovecraft game every you guys xD
>>
>>338328275
It's probably not possible to make something that is an "unfathomable horror" especially not with the limitations of the ps4. The filters in the game are basically meant to hide the bad looking graphics, which a lot of people knock, but I don't mind so much. (The framerate bothers me more)
You're second example seems more like a dick move rather than a clever scary mechanic.
And for the third: why would you try to jump a casm that you wouldn't expect to make anyway. Unless it was some sort of forced qte thing like until dawn. Which really wouldn't feel that clever.
I'm not doubting that there are amazing things that can be done in games. Just that you shouldn't be the one making them I guess
>>
>>338331863
what's a better lovecraftian game?
No, really I'm actually curious.
>>
Moon presence's fault she created a chance for hunters to grow as strong as great ones so they could do her bidding - killing other great ones
Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.